Bills may be safe from Toronto and LA - Rogers Communications to buy Maple Leafs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Bills may be safe from Toronto and LA - Rogers Communications to buy Maple Leafs!!

I don't have the time to put all the links together but was listening to WGR 550 this morning. It might be a great week to be optimistic about Buffalo sports teams.

A report out of Toronto has Rogers Communications offering over $1.3B for the Maple Leafs, Raptors, ACC, Marlies and a soccer team. Would they still be able to plunk down a billion to get the Bills??

There is also a report out of Minnesota that two different groups from LA have met with and are pursuing the purchase of the Vikings. The Vikes lease is up at the end of the season, they want a new stadium and the state is not willing to meet their demand.

I'm guarded but optimistic day to say the least.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Cleve
    • Oct 2004

Re: Bills may be safe from Toronto and LA - Rogers Communications to buy Maple Leafs!!

Appears to be another benefit of a 2-9 season - nobody in Toronto would want the Bills now, ever-dently.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Re: Bills may be safe from Toronto and LA - Rogers Communications to buy Maple Leafs!!

Originally posted by Cleve
      nobody in Toronto would want the Bills.

The feeling is mutual!
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Add to this the story of Terry Pegula buying the Sabres, and the Bills being an absolute flop in Toronto, and things look even better.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          Add to this the story of Terry Pegula buying the Sabres, and the Bills being an absolute flop in Toronto, and things look even better.
          It might be the best day as a Buffalo sports fan in a while if this all comes true.

(((Praying it is not all a dream)))

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            I don't have the time to put all the links together but was listening to WGR 550 this morning. It might be a great week to be optimistic about Buffalo sports teams.

A report out of Toronto has Rogers Communications offering over $1.3B for the Maple Leafs, Raptors, ACC, Marlies and a soccer team. Would they still be able to plunk down a billion to get the Bills??

There is also a report out of Minnesota that two different groups from LA have met with and are pursuing the purchase of the Vikings. The Vikes lease is up at the end of the season, they want a new stadium and the state is not willing to meet their demand.

I'm guarded but optimistic day to say the least.
            It might also complicate things for Rogers because of the NFL rule against owning multiple pro sports franchises. Perhaps they could get around it with some sort of restructured ownership entity, but all in all, anything that makes it harder is better for us!
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Cleve
              • Oct 2004

Rogers Communications can go **** themselves, that's what I say. There was never any need for the Bills to play in Toronto - Ralph Wilson Jr already makes plenty of money on this team as is, a lot more than he deserves given the shoddy management and product he's provided - without whoring them out to the Canucks.
              Last edited by Cleve; 12-01-2010, 07:16 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                • Jan 2010

good news for bills fans for LA too..... approached vikings

Two different groups interested in bringing an NFL team to Los Angeles have approached the Vikings about possible relocation.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by mrbojanglezs
                  good news for bills fans for LA too..... approached vikings

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5868477
                  Good article. At the end of the article it also mentioned more rumors about the Chargers being bought and moved to LA.

I don't know about the Vikings moving. I'm thinking Wilf might be using LA as leverage to have Minnesota build a new stadium for the Vikings. The Chargers moving makes alot more sense.
                  Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• kelly2reed4six
                    • Dec 2008

The ONLY team that LA should get is one of the existing California teams. If the NFL allows a team to move to LA outside of the state they are freaking morons. It's already ******ed that you can pretty much throw a stone from Candle Stick pk and hit the raiders stadium. There doesn't need to be a team in LA 120 miles from San Diego. San Diego should be the team to move considering they have difficulty selling out games when they are GOOD!

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

Anything that helps the Bills stay in Buffalo is good news, but the idea of the Vikings going to L.A. is just wrong. They are a historic small market franchise. As fans of a similar team I think we should be against this.

If the NFL really wants a team in L.A. my vote would be to move the Raiders. They've played there before, there's already a more popular team in the Bay area, and I don't know when the last time was that they sold out a game, but I think it's been years. I read that Oakland averages a little over 30,000 fans per game. That's terrible. Plus, you don't have the issues of a division being screwed up geographically.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

yeah, i like not hearing that buffalo is the press about the move, but breaking up the minny/GB rivalry is a curse waiting to happen. That's football. that's like pissing on the bills/dolphins rivalry.

I think the chargers stay put. they have a hot team, they will sell out that stadium for the playoffs, and in some ways they are due. They could win the superbowl this year and the owner will look like a jerk to move a team after a SB win.

So that being said, i think Ed is right. Move the stinking Raiders. You don't have to change the colors, the fans already like taht team, and the Bay area is still ok with a team. it even lets them try to fund a new stadium to get out of candlestick in the future.

Although, i think LA is a good on paper/terrible in execution proposition for the NFL. On paper it seems like it should work, but we've seen this fail at least twice. LA will not support the team and in a league that is having a tough time selling seats, which creates blackouts, which creates antsy local advertisers, which drivers antsy national advertisers, which drivers the overall TV, you don't want a crap attendence rate (even though you get that sweet box revenue) in a large market.

but greed is always the begining of the downfall.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

This just frees up more money for Larry Tennenbaum to buy the team... remember, corporations cannot buy teams in the NFL. Thus, though Ted Rogers could have bought the Bills, since he's dead, he can't do that anymore, and Rogers Communications cannot buy the Bills.

Not necessarily good news per se.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

There is no way that Rogers can afford all of that AND the Bills franchise. I believe that this is a hugely positive development for Bills fans.
                            Last edited by Nighthawk; 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by kelly2reed4six
                              The ONLY team that LA should get is one of the existing California teams. If the NFL allows a team to move to LA outside of the state they are freaking morons. It's already ******ed that you can pretty much throw a stone from Candle Stick pk and hit the raiders stadium. There doesn't need to be a team in LA 120 miles from San Diego. San Diego should be the team to move considering they have difficulty selling out games when they are GOOD!
                              Leave the Chargers alone,San Diego is a great football town. I have lived there for almost twenty years, they haven't had any more blackouts than Buffalo. LA should get the Rams back.

Comment

Working...
                              X