3. Da'Quan Bowers* DE Clemson 97
4. Marcell Dareus* DT Alabama 97
5. Robert Quinn* DE North Carolina 96
6. A.J. Green* WR Georgia 96
7. Stephen Paea DT Oregon State 96
8. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska 96
9. Nick Fairley DT Auburn 95
10. Anthony Castonzo OT Boston Coll. 95

It looks like the Bills can use anyone of them (well maybe Green is a luxury pick). Quinn at 270lb, clocked below 4.4, is a boom or bust prospect for our OLB woes.

Luisito23
12-01-2010, 07:37 AM
if there is one in 2011.

1. Andrew Luck* QB Stanford 98
2. Patrick Peterson* CB LSU 98
3. Da'Quan Bowers* DE Clemson 97
4. Marcell Dareus* DT Alabama 97
5. Robert Quinn* DE North Carolina 96
6. A.J. Green* WR Georgia 96
7. Stephen Paea DT Oregon State 96
8. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska 96
9. Nick Fairley DT Auburn 95
10. Anthony Castonzo OT Boston Coll. 95

It looks like the Bills can use anyone of them (well maybe Green is a luxury pick). Quinn at 270lb, clocked below 4.4, is a boom or bust prospect for our OLB woes.

Just don't pick someone stupid like Castonzo!!!...I could see them doing that though.

k-oneputt
12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I would like to know how we are building on defense. Is this going to be a 3-4 team or a 4-3.
That will make a difference in which d-linemen we select. Assuming they don't want Locker or Mallett, and don't get real stupid and take a db or wr.

tampabay25690
12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I think Defense will be the direction.
I 100% think this team is suited for the 4-3 anyway.......
We have 2 good DT's in Williams and TROUP..
Edwards is a good DE.....

just my opinion...

RockStar36
12-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Green is the only one on that list I'd shake my head at. They don't need a WR in the 1st round.

psubills62
12-01-2010, 08:24 AM
They need everything. Outside of running back, punter, kicker, and long snapper, I don't think the Bills are a team that's in shape to turn their nose up at any specific position, especially in the first round.

How they build the defense will certainly be interesting. Will probably have to wait for the offseason to truly get an idea of where they see the defense headed. Hopefully the future holds a defense where George Edwards isn't in charge of it (though he's done a little better the past few weeks).

TedMock
12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I would like to know how we are building on defense. Is this going to be a 3-4 team or a 4-3.
That will make a difference in which d-linemen we select. Assuming they don't want Locker or Mallett, and don't get real stupid and take a db or wr.

Unless, of course, it's Patrick Peterson or AJ Green. Best player available and still fits a need. Despite all the hype, we can still use a CB and WR. Those needs aren't as great as others, but they're still needs.

McGee is good for missing several games every year. McKelvin is an amazing athlete, but very inconsistent. Florence is far better in the slot. We've seen these guys exposed a bit this year.

Evans is an excellent WR, but not a do-it-all stud that you would love to have at the No. 1 spot. Johnson (despite this week) is coming along, but is still inconsistent and is certainly more of a No. 2. Roscoe is the "it" factor guy who's fun in situations and everybody else is a 3rd and 4th guy.

Personally, just about any of those top-7 guys would be a decent pick at 4 or 5. I'd add Fairley to the list too. I don't think Costanzo is the the best OT coming out either.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

DB is up there. I think even Kelly mentioned it in one of his articles at bb.com.

Florence is a FA. McGee is breaking down near the end of his contract. So we have McKelvin and Corner, Youbody.

If you are looking short term, LBs, both inside and outside, are number 1 need. CB may be #2. RT #3.

Long term, I still think QB is #1.

tampabay25690
12-01-2010, 09:03 AM
DB is up there. I think even Kelly mentioned it in one of his articles at bb.com.

Florence is a FA. McGee is breaking down near the end of his contract. So we have McKelvin and Corner, Youbody.

If you are looking short term, LBs, both inside and outside, are number 1 need. CB may be #2. RT #3.

Long term, I still think QB is #1.

The way things look now Andrew Luck is playing in Carolina...

My thought is if Patrick Peterson is there how do you pass on him...
This guy will be a shut down CB in this league and TOP Special teamer just like at LSU. He is special....This would help our Safeties cheating up our going to the other side of the field. Best CB I have seen in the draft since Revis....
Would be hard to pass up.

Night Train
12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
The way things look now Andrew Luck is playing in Carolina...

But,but,but..they have Jimmy Clausen..aka The Savior ! :rolleyes:

don137
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
If Luck is gone you realy cannot go wrong with Bowers or Peterson.. We need a pass rusher and you can never pass up an elite shut down corner when given the chance...I would think Peterson would be attractive trade bait for a team wanting to move up to get him and the Bills want to trade down...Luck is available when Bills pick u do not pass on the guy

Ed
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I think Bowers and Quinn have the versatility to play well in any scheme. Personally, I would like to see us just draft the best defensive players possible and build are scheme based on the talent we have.

We'll need some serious upgrades at LB if we're going to stick with a 3-4.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I have no problem what so ever with Peterson. If he's the next Revis it will be worth it and ten fold. That just means you gotta hope a Jeremy Beal, Jeff Houston or Akeem Ayers is there in the 2nd.

mikemac2001
12-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Its hard to be pumped for a CB but if we can lock down half the field...its worth it

creates so much more on D we can do.

DraftBoy
12-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I have no problem what so ever with Peterson. If he's the next Revis it will be worth it and ten fold. That just means you gotta hope a Jeremy Beal, Jeff Houston or Akeem Ayers is there in the 2nd.

I would expect all three to go in Round 1 if they are all in the draft. Houston may be the best of the bunch.

EDS
12-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I would expect all three to go in Round 1 if they are all in the draft. Houston may be the best of the bunch.

I think Ayers would be a nice fit if the Bills continue with a 3-4 alignment. He can do a littl bit of everything. Definitely would not take him top 10 though.

better days
12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Unless, of course, it's Patrick Peterson or AJ Green. Best player available and still fits a need. Despite all the hype, we can still use a CB and WR. Those needs aren't as great as others, but they're still needs.

McGee is good for missing several games every year. McKelvin is an amazing athlete, but very inconsistent. Florence is far better in the slot. We've seen these guys exposed a bit this year.

Evans is an excellent WR, but not a do-it-all stud that you would love to have at the No. 1 spot. Johnson (despite this week) is coming along, but is still inconsistent and is certainly more of a No. 2. Roscoe is the "it" factor guy who's fun in situations and everybody else is a 3rd and 4th guy.

Personally, just about any of those top-7 guys would be a decent pick at 4 or 5. I'd add Fairley to the list too. I don't think Costanzo is the the best OT coming out either.

Green may be best player available when the Billls pick, but how much better is he than a player the Bills NEED? The team has many more needs to fill before using a high 1st on a receiver IMO. If another team covets Green, I would love to see the Bills trade down a few spots & get an extra pick.

DraftBoy
12-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Green may be best player available when the Billls pick, but how much better is he than a player the Bills NEED? The team has many more needs to fill before using a high 1st on a receiver IMO. If another team covets Green, I would love to see the Bills trade down a few spots & get an extra pick.

Ive seen you mention trading down more than a few times now, and I think your under estimate just how hard it is to make these trades work.

better days
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Ive seen you mention trading down more than a few times now, and I think your under estimate just how hard it is to make these trades work.

No, I realize it likely won't happen. It would be nice though, unless there is a defensive player the Bills really want when they pick.

DraftBoy
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
No, I realize it likely won't happen. It would be nice though, unless there is a defensive player the Bills really want when they pick.

I dont see a need to me the top 5 players are likely going to be;

1. Luck
2. Green
3. Peterson
4. Bowers
5. Dareus

If you're picking 4th you just take whoever is higher ranked. All those players fill needs and all of those players are great selections for us.

ddaryl
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
this team DOES NOT NEED A TOP 10 CB either.

We need pass rush and run D before we even consider Jauroning another 1st rd CB

WeAreArthurMoates
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Ya, I didn't no much about him before a couple weeks ago. Guy is going to make a smooth transistion. I really love Ayers but obviously too high for top 10. So then I agree with you Bowers or Dareus.

TedMock
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM

A trade down would be great, but it's so difficult when you're in the top 5 to get another team to give up that kind of scratch to move up. Having said that - yes, I am all for it.

I think you take the best guy on the board if you're picking that high. WR, despite the overvaluing our home fans give, and CB are definitely needs. I would love a dominant DE in round one too. This team needs a dominant DE. They also need a dominant OLB...and a dominant WR...and a dominant CB...etc. We NEED a lot of positions, so the draft is easy this year. Highest rated player on the board. He is guaranteed to fit a need.

better days
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
A trade down would be great, but it's so difficult when you're in the top 5 to get another team to give up that kind of scratch to move up. Having said that - yes, I am all for it.

I think you take the best guy on the board if you're picking that high. WR, despite the overvaluing our home fans give, and CB are definitely needs. I would love a dominant DE in round one too. This team needs a dominant DE. They also need a dominant OLB...and a dominant WR...and a dominant CB...etc. We NEED a lot of positions, so the draft is easy this year. Highest rated player on the board. He is guaranteed to fit a need.

Johnson is just starting to Blossom. Evans hasn't lost a step & will be cheap the next 2 years. Roscoe was having his best year as a Bill before being injured.Easley is supposed to have talent & will be like a draft pick next year. I think WR is WAY down on the positions of need myself. There are a number of teams in the NFL that do not have a receiving group as good as the Bills.

TigerJ
12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I believe the Bills are too good right now to end up with the top spot in the draft, so I assume we're out of Luck, if you know what I mean. If he is available where the Bills pick, I think Bowers is most likely to be the pick at this point. Given the productivity of Kyle Williams and Troup's upside, I don't think DT is as high a priority as DE. The Bills are deep enough at CB, I don't think that's going to be a high priority unless Terrence McGee turns out to have issues that are career threatening.

X-Era
12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
That list has Paea, Costanzo, and possibly Fairley too high IMO. I expect to see one more QB in the top 10 when all is said and done.

kingJofNYC
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
AJ Green is pretty good player, but this WR class is looking like a good one depending on which underclassmen declare. Floyd, Jones, Blackmon, Broyles may all declare early. I like Toliver out of LSU in the middle rounds. Think this may be a good receiver draft, no need to take one early, unless he's the BPA.

Buffalo Thriller
12-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Pettis from Boise State is a good one, rounds 5-7

tomz
12-01-2010, 06:49 PM

While I am not sure whether or not we need a corner, IMHO it s much harder to find an elite pass rusher than a corner. If any of the top DE/OLB convince Buddy et al that he is that, then our choice is clear to me. Go pass rush all the way. Corners look a lot better when there is pressure on the QB.

In the 2nd, we need a block shedding impact inside LB.

alohabillsfan
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
While I am not sure whether or not we need a corner, IMHO it s much harder to find an elite pass rusher than a corner. If any of the top DE/OLB convince Buddy et al that he is that, then our choice is clear to me. Go pass rush all the way. Corners look a lot better when there is pressure on the QB.

In the 2nd, we need a block shedding impact inside LB.

Nailed it!

We could have 2 lock down corners unfortunatley we give up 200 plus yards per game on the ground. Repeat after me, FRONT 7, FRONT 7, FRONT 7.

Buddo
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Irrespective of just about anything else, our biggest need is a pass rush. How you get it, remains to be accomplished, but it has to come from somewhere.

I do have to say I recognise that there's starting to be a case made for a CB. I like McGee, and consider him pretty underrated, when he's fully fit and on his game, but he does get his fair share of injury issues. It would seem that they are all pretty much related to whatever nerve 'issue' he has going on, so if they finally sort that out, we may not have as much of an interest in a very highly rated CB, but I believe it could be a distinct consideration, depending on who is available.

I'm starting to get the impression that RT (or just OT) isn't necessarily going to be that high on the list. For the time being at least, there are signs that the O-Line mix, has a 'blend' to it, and the sum of the parts adds up to more than the sum of the individuals. I'm sure we will make another addition there, but I don't expect it to be a necessarily highly rated prospect, probably another guy in around the 4th and below.

I dont think we have any real 'need' for a WR, at all. If, however, the guy can 'do it all' then it could be worth considering, as Gailey will use that guy in all sorts of places.

Ed
12-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Nailed it!

We could have 2 lock down corners unfortunatley we give up 200 plus yards per game on the ground. Repeat after me, FRONT 7, FRONT 7, FRONT 7.
I think our run defense issues are due to our really poor LB play. That's something that can be addressed in rounds 2-4 and free agency.

Thief
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Drafting a top CB would be borderline pointless if we are still going to give the oppossing QB 5+ seconds every play.

k-oneputt
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Drafting a top CB would be borderline pointless if we are still going to give the oppossing QB 5+ seconds every play.

Good luck with this. I've been over and over with that point but many here love drafting the perimeter guys first then try to fill in the inside guys later with the trash.
Welcome to our last 10 years of Buffalo Bills football.

BertSquirtgum
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM

disagree, mcgee is never on the field. he is old, slow, and starting to suck. florence is gone after the year. they could use a shut down cb. i'm not saying that should be the pick but if at the point and time that the bills are up, i wouldn't be pissed with a peterson pick but would much rather see a defensive tackle or defensive end.

BertSquirtgum
12-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I think our run defense issues are due to our really poor LB play. That's something that can be addressed in rounds 2-4 and free agency.

yupp, our linebacking corps is putrid.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Good luck with this. I've been over and over with that point but many here love drafting the perimeter guys first then try to fill in the inside guys later with the trash.
Welcome to our last 10 years of Buffalo Bills football.

The concept of value continue to alludes you and others. There just arent interior players rated that highly this season.

You got Quinn who hasnt played football in a year, Bowers who we dont know if he should stay at DE or move OLB being his weight has fluctuated in college, Dareus as a 3-4 DE.

Offensively there is nobody on the line worth taking with a top 5 pick and outside of Luck there is no QB worth it.

k-oneputt
12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
What's wrong with a 3-4 d-end ? that is our defense or is it ? If not bowers is a 4-3 end. Quinn can become a 3-4 olb, but I don't see Nix messing with him. fairley I like alot, but again, are we a 3-4 d or a 4-3 d or both. Hell if I know.

You "value" guys kill me. Who's to really say if a guy isworth the 5th pick or the 50th oick until they actually play. Maybin was supposed to be good "value", same with Baby Mike Williams at # 4.
Value my ass.
This team needs a qb and defense of front seven rgiht now, the outside guys are much easier to find. Look no further then our current wr's.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
What's wrong with a 3-4 d-end ? that is our defense or is it ? If not bowers is a 4-3 end. Quinn can become a 3-4 olb, but I don't see Nix messing with him. fairley I like alot, but again, are we a 3-4 d or a 4-3 d or both. Hell if I know.

You "value" guys kill me. Who's to really say if a guy isworth the 5th pick or the 50th oick until they actually play. Maybin was supposed to be good "value", same with Baby Mike Williams at # 4.
Value my ass.
This team needs a qb and defense of front seven rgiht now, the outside guys are much easier to find. Look no further then our current wr's.

Nothing is wrong with that, but do you want a 3-4 End which are easier to come by or a island corner who can lock down half the field?

Maybin was not good value btw, that was an atrocious pick. The needs everything; QB, WR, OL, DL, CB, LB, and S.

Our current WR's are one guy who just last week showed up that he is still not quite ready, forgive me with being under impressed.

k-oneputt
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I would say our wr are more then good enough from what I have seen this year. The guy has a tough day and your not impressed, but he has impressed the whole year. S. Johnson is a player. Throw Easely into the mix next year and I really don't think we even need to draft a wr anywhere in the draft.
Cb is a way more valuable position. I have watched plenty of Peterson and he is the real deal but as noted before the game is won in the trenches and the qb. Good big men are much tougher to find then the good little men.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I would say our wr are more then good enough from what I have seen this year. The guy has a tough day and your not impressed, but he has impressed the whole year. S. Johnson is a player. Throw Easely into the mix next year and I really don't think we even need to draft a wr anywhere in the draft.
Cb is a way more valuable position. I have watched plenty of Peterson and he is the real deal but as noted before the game is won in the trenches and the qb. Good big men are much tougher to find then the good little men.

We have no #1 WR right now, I dont think anybody would argue that Stevie is a #1, and Easley is coming off a knee surgery so there is no telling how good he will be, and he still has to adjust. It took Johnson years to adjust. Neither of those guys are of AJ Green's caliber either. We need more WR help. Right now we have a #2 (Stevie), a #3 (Roscoe) and that's it.

I dont disagree that the game is won and lost in the trenches but you dont pass on a lock down CB to reach for a lineman.

k-oneputt
12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't consider Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, or Quinn a reach.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't consider Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, or Quinn a reach.

Fairley is a guy who is more penetration based than straight power, Im not sure he translates well to a 5 tech.

Quinn hasnt played a down of football in over a year and that's not due to an injury. Very steep learning curve there and I wanna see what kind of shape he is in now.

Dareus Id be ok with but I value Peterson and Green higher.

k-oneputt
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, and whatever you get from Easely are good enough with a competent qb, which Fitz has proved to be. No way in the world should they be going wr in the first five rounds at least.

k-oneputt
12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't worry about Quinn unless Nix is feeding us a line of bs.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, and whatever you get from Easely are good enough with a competent qb, which Fitz has proved to be. No way in the world should they be going wr in the first five rounds at least.

None of those guys have shown the ability to challenge opposing defenses consistently. If teams can still load the box against us then what's the point?

We need a playmaker at WR which we havent had since we had Moulds arguably.

better days
12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
None of those guys have shown the ability to challenge opposing defenses consistently. If teams can still load the box against us then what's the point?

Have you watched the Bills since Fitz took over at QB? ALL of the Bills receivers have made plays. As I said before, there are a number of teams in the NFL that do not have as good a group of receivers as the Bills.

This team needs to draft defense & a franchise QB if they could.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Have you watched the Bills since Fitz took over at QB? ALL of the Bills receivers have made plays. As I said before, there are a number of teams in the NFL that do not have as good a group of receivers as the Bills.

This team needs to draft defense & a franchise QB if they could.

This team need everything. Lets not fool ourselves, we still have a grand total of two wins. You telling me, especially after last week's game that there is no need for a reliable #1 WR who doesnt have drops, gets open, and doesnt fumble?

better days
12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
This team need everything. Lets not fool ourselves, we still have a grand total of two wins. You telling me, especially after last week's game that there is no need for a reliable #1 WR who doesnt have drops, gets open, and doesnt fumble?

Yes, I am telling you they need someone to stop the run & get to the QB much more than they need a receiver.

ZAZusmc03
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I think its ridiculous to think we are set at WR. AJ Green would come in and instantly be the best reciever on this team. The kid is a freak of nature. And if you honestly think Lee Evans is a true #1, you are crazy.
Now don't get me wrong, I agree we desperatley need help in the d front seven, but I think it would be extremely hard to pass up on a phenomenal talent like Green.

better days
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I think its ridiculous to think we are set at WR. AJ Green would come in and instantly be the best reciever on this team. The kid is a freak of nature. And if you honestly think Lee Evans is a true #1, you are crazy.
Now don't get me wrong, I agree we desperatley need help in the d front seven, but I think it would be extremely hard to pass up on a phenomenal talent like Green.

Well if he is a sure HOF player, some team should be willing to trade up for him. I think draft day trades will be easier to make with the new CBA because teams won't have to worry about overpaying for rookies.

I would rather see the Bills trade down & get an extra pick or two than draft a receiver JMO.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, good look getting that out of a rookie. Ask how Detroit has done with that strategy.

Of all the bad decisions a team can make, drafting a WR that high is one of the worst.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM

And even Terrell Owens, a proven playmaker, couldn't do it here in Buffalo. So how is a rookie supposed to improve upon that?

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, good look getting that out of a rookie. Ask how Detroit has done with that strategy.

Of all the bad decisions a team can make, drafting a WR that high is one of the worst.

I did they told me that Calvin Johnson (who AJ Green is most compared to) caught 48 passes for 756 yards and 4 TD's in his rookie season, and that Charles Rogers (the man most often called a bust) caught 22 balls for 243 yards and 3 TD's in only 5 games as a rookie before season ending collar bone surgery ended his year and basically his career. His numbers drawn out over a whole season would of been 70 catches, 778 yards, and 10 TD's.

Detroit has not failed because they took WR's early, Detroit has failed because they did not adress their other needs throughout the draft and FA process. Blaming it all on a few WR picks is misguided and false.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM
And even Terrell Owens, a proven playmaker, couldn't do it here in Buffalo. So how is a rookie supposed to improve upon that?

Im not sure Jerry Rice could of done it here with our QB situation. What that has to do with filling a need with a high pick I dont know.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, I am telling you they need someone to stop the run & get to the QB much more than they need a receiver.

This team needs players much more than need fans pidgeon holing what they do and don't need.

Ed
12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I personally don't think we are going to pick high enough to have a shot at AJ Green, but if he's BPA when it's our pick I wouldn't be upset about taking him. My first choice would be to trade down if possible and get more picks, but Green would be an exciting addition. I really like our WR's right now, but I also think it's easy for us to over value them since we got used to seeing such putrid production due to the play of Trent Edwards and incompetent offensive coaching.

I would prefer a game changing defensive playmaker over AJ Green, but if we are picking in the top 10 again, it's more critical to me that we try to get the best player and value possible. To me it's short sighted to simply say "well we really need help here, so we have to draft position X." Every team is going to have certain needs every single year, but with a top 10 pick, ideally you want to get a guy that has the chance to be great for 10 years. Whether you like it or not the draft is still much more about the future then trying to fill immediate needs.

X-Era
12-03-2010, 06:30 PM
This team needs players much more than need fans pidgeon holing what they do and don't need.I totally agree with this statement. If this is a multi-year process, in any given year the timing may not seem ideal for a pick, but if the value fits, it could be a strong move. Because what we need the most this year may be a bit different than what we need the most the next year. And, we have to pay attention to attrition. Smart teams forecast losses and add guys a year or two in advance. Smart teams also will take a great value pick if it buys them an option to deal in the future for a pick or player. And I also think smart teams will load up at key positions where you just can't have enough good players. Depth always makes us better. But yes, we should fill gaping holes as well.

I don't agree with our teams philosophy of building strictly through the draft and I think it may end up giving us holes in any given year. But, going into a draft saying we need position X in round Y is an easy way to reach. I don't want to do that anymore. Have a plan beyond one year and be flexible in what holes you fill in what year based on what the draft gives you. Get the best value at your pick.

No, I would not be crazy about drafting Patrick Peterson. But, you know what? Leodis hasn't become our stud CB in our current regimes eyes, Florence is a FA, and many would like McGee on the bench. At that point, Peterson is one hell of a talent and could become the shutdown corner we don't appear to have. Think about this for a second. We have a SS who is top 4 in combined tackles, a ILB who is at #8 and the top 2 defensive lineman in the league in combined tackles. Why? Maybe because we can't get them off the field because we give up too many 3rd downs. Most of those are passing downs, and that means the secondary may be responsible in a large part for our terrible 3rd down defense. Adding Peterson may have a huge impact on that.

Gailey said it best. Everything is related to everything else. Therefore adding a great player at any position can help a poor team get better. It may not be a clear fit year one, but in years two or three you maybe glad you made that move.

better days
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I did they told me that Calvin Johnson (who AJ Green is most compared to) caught 48 passes for 756 yards and 4 TD's in his rookie season, and that Charles Rogers (the man most often called a bust) caught 22 balls for 243 yards and 3 TD's in only 5 games as a rookie before season ending collar bone surgery ended his year and basically his career. His numbers drawn out over a whole season would of been 70 catches, 778 yards, and 10 TD's.

Detroit has not failed because they took WR's early, Detroit has failed because they did not adress their other needs throughout the draft and FA process. Blaming it all on a few WR picks is misguided and false.

Shoulda, Woulda , Coulda.......
Detroit failed under Millen because he wasted the top picks on WR instead of addressing the real needs of the team.

X-Era
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Shoulda, Woulda , Coulda.......
Detroit failed under Millen because he wasted the top picks on WR instead of addressing the real needs of the team.Millen failed for a whole host of reasons, not just drafting so many WR's. Its who he took, not what position. He drafted too many busts. Mike Williams and Charles Rogers were both busts. Williams may be resurrecting his career.

With our spread offense that we like to run, having several very good WR's could make us deadly. Besides, Evans is getting older and his contract is up after next year (I think). AJ Green is a stud and I'd have no problem with drafting him.

better days
12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I totally agree with this statement. If this is a multi-year process, in any given year the timing may not seem ideal for a pick, but if the value fits, it could be a strong move. Because what we need the most this year may be a bit different than what we need the most the next year. And, we have to pay attention to attrition. Smart teams forecast losses and add guys a year or two in advance. Smart teams also will take a great value pick if it buys them an option to deal in the future for a pick or player. And I also think smart teams will load up at key positions where you just can't have enough good players. Depth always makes us better. But yes, we should fill gaping holes as well.

I don't agree with our teams philosophy of building strictly through the draft and I think it may end up giving us holes in any given year. But, going into a draft saying we need position X in round Y is an easy way to reach. I don't want to do that anymore. Have a plan beyond one year and be flexible in what holes you fill in what year based on what the draft gives you. Get the best value at your pick.

No, I would not be crazy about drafting Patrick Peterson. But, you know what? Leodis hasn't become our stud CB in our current regimes eyes, Florence is a FA, and many would like McGee on the bench. At that point, Peterson is one hell of a talent and could become the shutdown corner we don't appear to have. Think about this for a second. We have a SS who is top 4 in combined tackles, a ILB who is at #8 and the top 2 defensive lineman in the league in combined tackles. Why? Maybe because we can't get them off the field because we give up too many 3rd downs. Most of those are passing downs, and that means the secondary may be responsible in a large part for our terrible 3rd down defense. Adding Peterson may have a huge impact on that.

Gailey said it best. Everything is related to everything else. Therefore adding a great player at any position can help a poor team get better. It may not be a clear fit year one, but in years two or three you maybe glad you made that move.

Well, if a shut down corner is the best player available, I would be fine with that pick, but I don't want to see them draft a guy that is supposed to be the next Revis, that turns out be to Revis what Whitner is to Reed or Polamalu.

better days
12-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Millen failed for a whole host of reasons, not just drafting so many WR's. Its who he took, not what position. He drafted too many busts. Mike Williams and Charles Rogers were both busts. Williams may be resurrecting his career.

With our spread offense that we like to run, having several very good WR's could make us deadly. Besides, Evans is getting older and his contract is up after next year (I think). AJ Green is a stud and I'd have no problem with drafting him.

I believe Evans is under contract for the next 2 years at a very reasonable price at that. For a team that didn't have the problems this team has, I would be fine with stocking up on the WR position, but this team has MANY holes to fill. You don't buy fancy expensive new furnature until the leaky roof is fixed.

Ed
12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, if a shut down corner is the best player available, I would be fine with that pick, but I don't want to see them draft a guy that is supposed to be the next Revis, that turns out be to Revis what Whitner is to Reed or Polamalu.
I think that goes without saying. If you draft a dud it doesn't matter what position they play.

YardRat
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I want front seven on the defense as much as anybody, but if Green or Peterson are on the board when we pick you grab them.