PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign TE Caussin After Failing to Land Rucker

patmoran2006
12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
According to multiple reports, the Buffalo Bills tried to sign tight end Martin Rucker off the Dallas Cowboys practice squad this week. To combat Buffalo’s move the Cowboys promoted Rucker to the 53-man active roster. When that failed, they signed Jacksonville’s Mike Caussin off their practice squad, according to his agent Robert Rouche. A source confirmed the news.

The Bills have been in desperation mode to find some production from the tight end position. Jonathan Stupar leads the team in receptions among tight ends, but has just seven catches on the season. Shawn Nelson has been battling severe migraines since returning from a four-game league suspension to start the season and has just three receptions.

Rucker was drafted out of Missouri by the Cleveland Browns in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL draft. He appeared in five games his rookie season, catching two passes for 17 yards. He was cut by Cleveland in September 2009 and spent the season on the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad last year. He signed with Dallas this past August and was assigned to the practice squad one day after he was cut and cleared waivers.

Caussin is an undrafted free agent out of James Madison University. He caught four passes for Jacksonville in the preseason, but was cut in early September then resigned to the practice squad the next day.

Nelson could be a strong candidate to end up on Injured Reserve. It’s also possible that Dwan Edwards could immediately account for Caussin’s roster spot if he goes to Injured Reserve with a bad hamstring injury.

YardRat
12-02-2010, 05:13 AM
TE is becoming the 'sign a scrub' position this season, like o-line was last year.

The Spaz
12-02-2010, 05:39 AM
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?action=display&id=220&title=Mike%20Caussin%20Interview

Jan Reimers
12-02-2010, 06:02 AM
I didn't realize Nelson was having migraines (although I knew he had some sort of injury or problem). That probably explains his lack of production since coming off suspension.

X-Era
12-02-2010, 06:03 AM
I didn't realize Nelson was having migraines (although I knew he had some sort of injury or problem). That probably explains his lack of production since coming off suspension.Sucks. He's one of my favorite draftees in the past few years.

Mahdi
12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Seems like Chan is looking for a receiving TE to split out wide in his spread formations.

That way, he can bring out Fred and a TE and dictate to the defense. He can either spread Jackson and Caussin out as WRs along with Evans, Johnson and Jones or put Fred in the backfield and the TE on the LoS and run out of the same personnel grouping. That is hard for a defense to deal with since they would have to either play a nickel to deal with the run threat or play a dime to deal with the pass threat. Then you do the opposite.

DesertFox24
12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
If Dallas gave Rucker the option to come to Blo and probably start and he passed to be third string on Dallas that tells you all you need to know about him.

The guy does not want to play, and I am glad we did not sign him. I want guys that want to play not sit the bench.

elltrain22
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Shawn Nelson has been battling severe migraines since returning from a four-game league suspension to start the season and has just three receptions.

I'd have migranes all the time if I sucked as bad as he does.

DraftBoy
12-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Interesting that we landed Caussin, he has some skill.

Good hands, decent athleticism, can catch the ball away from his body. Not much as a blocker.

He's a good write up on him, some video of his skill set, and his numbers;
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2010/5/6/1461263/2010-udfa-profile-mike-caussin-te

Beebe's Kid
12-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I didn't realize Nelson was having migraines (although I knew he had some sort of injury or problem). That probably explains his lack of production since coming off suspension.

Yeah, that is news to me. I figured he had some nagging injury, and was in the doghouse... Migraines suck. I hope he gets it straightened out and can get back on the field. I think there is some major production in that guy, and we need to get him involved.

wmoz11
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Sucks that Nelson is injured, but at least there's a reason he's not playing other than he just flat out sucks. I thought they had given up on him or something.

I have high hopes for him when he's healthy.

stuckincincy
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Seems like Chan is looking for a receiving TE to split out wide in his spread formations.

I thought when the season started, they might have made a grab for the unproven, so far, useless TE that CIN wasted a 3rd round pick on, in '09 - Chase Coffman. He was quickly placed on the practice squad.

One can only speculate why the skinflint owner drafted him and signed him to 3rd round $$$, considering he had a broken foot. He's on the B'gals active roster, which is curious - who in the world would pluck him off their PS, carrying 3rd round contract baggage, and a guy that by all reports can't even block a leaf falling off a tree?

I wonder if BUF will ring up JP Foschi. He did a breeze-through before season start. He caught 27 or so with CIN last year - he has fairly decent hands. A fine blocker, but as you say, if they want a (big) wide-out called a TE, he's not in their plans.

Oaf
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I wonder if BUF will ring up JP Foschi. He did a breeze-through before season start. He caught 27 or so with CIN last year - he has fairly decent hands. A fine blocker, but as you say, if they want a (big) wide-out called a TE, he's not in their plans.

Woof, that guy sucked.

justasportsfan
12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
he had brick hands for us in preseason

Scumbag College
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
If I had more time today I'd look up the past 6 or 7 years worth of lousy TEs the Bills have brought in. They just can't find a keeper in the bunch.

alohabillsfan
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
If Dallas gave Rucker the option to come to Blo and probably start and he passed to be third string on Dallas that tells you all you need to know about him.

The guy does not want to play, and I am glad we did not sign him. I want guys that want to play not sit the bench.

I dont believe that is the case. What Dallas did was to activate him from their practice squad to the 53 man roster, which means we could not get him.

bigbub2352
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
nelson mite be another in a long line of busts

hope this kid is the next reimersma

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm glad we didn't get Tee Rucker. That guys blows.

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
If I had more time today I'd look up the past 6 or 7 years worth of lousy TEs the Bills have brought in. They just can't find a keeper in the bunch.
Can you say Robert Royal?

Night Train
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Why does he need that in the spread ? He uses 4 WR's in Evans, Johnson, Nelson & Jones out there...all with far more mobility than any TE.

stuckincincy
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
he had brick hands for us in preseason

Yes - you never know. How many times did they toss his way? Under what game circumstances? Who knows, who cares?

I'm not his agent - I just say that he had a halfway decent season with CIN. He certainly is a good blocker. The CIN arch-idiot OC Bratkoski and his telegraphed playcalling that the entire league understands, misses Foschi's blocking. Ask Benson.

kingJofNYC
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM

It may also explain why he was smoking joints. Does wonders for migraines.

justasportsfan
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes - you never know. How many times did they toss his way? Under what game circumstances? Who knows, who cares?

I'm not his agent - I just say that he had a halfway decent season with CIN. He certainly is a good blocker. The CIN arch-idiot OC Bratkoski and his telegraphed playcalling that the entire league understands, misses Foschi's blocking. Ask Benson.
i'll take your word since i didn't follow him at cincy but I don't think the bills are looking for a blocker.

Oaf
12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Nelson, despite being a straight-up beanpole, has been our TE-type receiving weapon this year.

stuckincincy
12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Can you say Robert Royal?

Sure.

He's doing his usual thing - tossing out good blocks for CLE's Hillis at the moment. You will get to see him on Dec 12 at RWS, or on tv if it's a sellout.

stuckincincy
12-02-2010, 12:56 PM
i'll take your word since i didn't follow him at cincy but I don't think the bills are looking for a blocker.

Thanks - I would question the sanity of anyone outside of this (SW Ohio) area who would follow CIN...

:drive:

Crisis
12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
JP Foschi....there's a name i never thought i'd see on this board again.

he was terrible in the preseason....he'd be ok if we were in college looking for a backup TE

Goobylal
12-03-2010, 10:43 PM

That way, he can bring out Fred and a TE and dictate to the defense. He can either spread Jackson and Caussin out as WRs along with Evans, Johnson and Jones or put Fred in the backfield and the TE on the LoS and run out of the same personnel grouping. That is hard for a defense to deal with since they would have to either play a nickel to deal with the run threat or play a dime to deal with the pass threat. Then you do the opposite.
Yeah, I think that an all-around TE is the Bills' priority on offense in the off-season (along with possibly RT, depending on Wrotto's development). There will be some decent TE's possibly hitting the market (Zach Miller, Vernon Davis, Kevin Boss, Marcedes Lewis, Kellen Winslow, and Owen Daniels), who it would be better to sign than gambling a draft pick, given the Bills' poor job of drafting TE's for the past 2 decades.

Extremebillsfan247
12-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Any good young prospective tight ends available in next years draft? just wondering because it could be one direction this team goes in within the first 3 or 4 rounds maybe?

SabreEleven
12-04-2010, 07:23 AM
You can't fix every single position on one year.