PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago today

northernbillfan
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Jim Kelly introduced us to the K-gun.

The Bills opened the first drive against the Eagles with the no huddle and something electric happened to the team. They went on to win the game and finish out the season on top of the AFC East.

They capped off the K-Gun years with something no other team has ever accomplished before or since then and that was the four AFC cahmpionship rings.

Just some fond memories to start your day off with.

Beebe's Kid
12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Sgt. Kelly taught the Bills to play.

NBF, I just teared up a little bit. What a great time to be a Bills fan. I think that the actual historical significance of the K-Gun, and what Jimbo was able to accomplish as a QB, will not be fully recognized for a long time. I know that it will probably be a big deal when Peyton is getting voted into the HOF, as he credits Jim for his pre-play adjustments.

northernbillfan
12-02-2010, 09:20 AM

NBF, I just teared up a little bit. What a great time to be a Bills fan. I think that the actual historical significance of the K-Gun, and what Jimbo was able to accomplish as a QB, will not be fully recognized for a long time. I know that it will probably be a big deal when Peyton is getting voted into the HOF, as he credits Jim for his pre-play adjustments.It's no doubt that the K-Gun changed football.

stuckincincy
12-02-2010, 09:37 AM

:bravo:

mrbojanglezs
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
time to move on to the 21st century

Prov401
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation.

alohabillsfan
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
God I'm getting old...

Mr. Pink
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually the K-Gun started in the 1989 AFC Divisional Playoff game vs Cleveland.

YardRat
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Actually the K-Gun started in the 1989 AFC Divisional Playoff game vs Cleveland.

This. The team actually opened the '90 season against Indy, going K-Gun on the very first drive of the game. The crowd was on it's feet after the first couple of plays and caught on to what was happening.

Mr. Miyagi
12-02-2010, 12:01 PM
time to move on to the 21st century
Agreed. The old style of football that took the league by storm 20 years ago wouldn't work anymore today, like k-gun, single wing wildcat, 3-4 defense.....

Wait a minute.....

Nighthawk
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Yep...and oh, the memory of the Harmon drop in the endzone. Uggh...

ddaryl
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
20 years ago today.
Sgt Pepper taught the band to play :cool:

Beebe beat me to the reference

Beebe's Kid
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Well, not everybody is sophisticated as yourself.

Where does talking out of the side of your face in a conversation that you feel the need to enter, only not participate, through an insult rank?

Nighthawk
12-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Well, not everybody is sophisticated as yourself.

Where does talking out of the side of your face in a conversation that you feel the need to enter, only not participate, through an insult rank?

Wow Beebe, what was that you had to say about me in another post? You can't post without insulting somebody.

northernbillfan
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually the K-Gun started in the 1989 AFC Divisional Playoff game vs Cleveland.An article I read this morning said it was on Dec 2 1990 that they first used the K-Gun. Source (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/2/1848736/december-2-1990-bills-unveil-no-huddle-offense)

OpIv37
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Who cares exactly when it started?

Those were some good times, and some good memories, but they're long gone. That's all that matters now.

northernbillfan
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I only brought it up in the first place because I thought this was the actual anniversary. It was nice to "remember when"

OpIv37
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I only brought it up in the first place because I thought this was the actual anniversary. It was nice to "remember when"

I can barely watch clips of those 1990's teams anymore because it just makes me realize how far we've fallen.

Granted, I think we have some reason for hope for the first time in a long time, but the difference between those teams and this current team is appalling.

The 90's teams were dominant, and even when they had an off day, they often managed to somehow pull a win out of their asses. This team still has a propensity to piss away wins in near impossible fashion.

YardRat
12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
An article I read this morning said it was on Dec 2 1990 that they first used the K-Gun. Source (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/2/1848736/december-2-1990-bills-unveil-no-huddle-offense)

MattRichWarren is wrong. Wonder if he even actually remembers anything from the glory years?

Mr. Pink
12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Furthermore...

The Bills and Marchibroda took the K-Gun offensive style from the Bengals. Wyche ran a similar offense, an offense that beat the Bills in the 1988 AFC playoffs.

It's all about giving credit to where it's actually due.

Much like Dungy getting credit for the Tampa 2 when it was the defensive style the 70s Steelers rode to a Dynasty.

northernbillfan
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
MattRichWarren is wrong. Wonder if he even actually remembers anything from the glory years?:bf1:

Spiderweb
12-05-2010, 01:09 AM

If life doesn't offer good times, worth remembering, what's the point Mr "what have you done for me lately"? As long as one keeps in proper perspective, as in all things, it's another of life's many simple pleasures.

Ingtar33
12-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Jim Kelly introduced us to the K-gun.

The Bills opened the first drive against the Eagles with the no huddle and something electric happened to the team. They went on to win the game and finish out the season on top of the AFC East.

They capped off the K-Gun years with something no other team has ever accomplished before or since then and that was the four AFC cahmpionship rings.

Just some fond memories to start your day off with.

I was at that game. I'll never forget it... though i have a confession.

the play i remember clearest was Randell Cunningham eluding Bruce Smith in the end-zone, hitting Fred Barnett on a 50 yard pass then watching Barnett turn it into a 95 yard touchdown pass. Barnett caught the ball right in front of me.