• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Ouitgoing NY Gov says Bills could relocate

Will there be a National Football League franchise in Orchard Park, New York in 2014? Will there be a National Hockey League franchise in Uniondale, New York in 2016? According to the soon to be former New York Governor David Paterson, there is a distinct possibility that the Buffalo Bills franchise may not be in Orchard Park very much longer and that the New York Islanders franchise will leave Uniondale in 2015.

The future of the Buffalo Bills in western New York is an issue that will be coming into sharper focus over the next 36 months. Ralph Wilson purchased an American Football league franchise in 1959 for $25,000 and has spent more than 50 years owning the team. Wilson is now 92 years old and apparently his family will sell the team after his death. The franchise has two years remaining on the lease in Orchard Park and would be free to go to another city once the obligation is fulfilled.

Full article
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Ouitgoing NY Gov says Bills could relocate

There is nothing really new in that article, although hopefully it will bring some attention to the issue and force someone at the state level to do something.

I've never been to the Islanders' arena, but I've heard it's an outdated ****hole.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• northernbillfan
      Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

What he was saying is he hopes the incoming Gov puts both of these issues on his agenda.
      When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Dude
        that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
        • Feb 2005

lol

"Wang"

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Who would I put more faith in Patterson or Pegula... hmmm.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

patterson is just that, an outgoing governer. and a bad one at that. i would take anything he has to say with a grain of salt.

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

patternson is a scumbag. i hate that man. way to run NY even further into the ground

Comment

• more cowbell
                • Apr 2006

yawn
                The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

IMO, the article actually gives me more hope that the state actually cares about the Bills staying in Buffalo and is acutely aware of the situation.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Since Ralph Wilson insists on retaining full ownership of the Bills until he dies, there is almost a guarantee of a certain amount of chaos concerning the franchise on his passing, unless he has secretly made some arrangements that he's not talking about. If Paterson's statement reflects interest by the state in getting involved, I'm glad, but I think the state has limited power. They can offer financial incentives in the form of tax breaks and maybe some actual cash to build a new stadium, but not much more. Whether or not that's enough to seal the deal is dubious at best, since potential landing sites for the franchise can also offer financial incentives.

The bottom line is that unless a new owner has some personal reason to keep the Bills in Western NY, he is going to go where he thinks he can make the most money. Given the price of tickets, luxury boxes etc. in Orchard Park compared with most other NFL venues, the odds aren't great that will be in the Buffalo area.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      Since Ralph Wilson insists on retaining full ownership of the Bills until he dies, there is almost a guarantee of a certain amount of chaos concerning the franchise on his passing, unless he has secretly made some arrangements that he's not talking about. If Paterson's statement reflects interest by the state in getting involved, I'm glad, but I think the state has limited power. They can offer financial incentives in the form of tax breaks and maybe some actual cash to build a new stadium, but not much more. Whether or not that's enough to seal the deal is dubious at best, since potential landing sites for the franchise can also offer financial incentives.

The bottom line is that unless a new owner has some personal reason to keep the Bills in Western NY, he is going to go where he thinks he can make the most money. Given the price of tickets, luxury boxes etc. in Orchard Park compared with most other NFL venues, the odds aren't great that will be in the Buffalo area.
                      I just don't agree. How do you know that this organization can't raise ticket prices to get closer to the league average and still not get fans to attend? What gives you or anybody else that impression? The Bills tickets are ridiculously low and I've been saying for years that the Bills should raise them to increase the cash flow. I just believe too many people in Buffalo are paranoid more then they need to be.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I think the Bills have some leeway on raising ticket prices. I don't think the area's economy or the market size can support the kind of pricing policies of say the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, or New York Giants, and a several other teams as well.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by TigerJ

wrong. ralph makes plenty of money here and so will the new owner.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            I just don't agree. How do you know that this organization can't raise ticket prices to get closer to the league average and still not get fans to attend? What gives you or anybody else that impression? The Bills tickets are ridiculously low and I've been saying for years that the Bills should raise them to increase the cash flow. I just believe too many people in Buffalo are paranoid more then they need to be.
                            no way the bills should raise ticket prices. unless they want blackouts on a weekly basis.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                              wrong. ralph makes plenty of money here and so will the new owner.
                              when it comes to money and rich people, there's no such thing as "enough." The new owners could make $50 billion a year keeping the Bills in Buffalo, but if they could make $50.1 billion in Toronto or LA, they're gone.

Also, there are other issues. Two reasons the Bills are profitable:
                              1. Revenue sharing
                              2. Lack of stadium debt

If a new CBA lacks revenue sharing or isn't as generous with it, that cuts into Buffalo's profits. And if the new owners want/need a new stadium, they will not be able to pay for the team, pay for the stadium AND make a profit in Buffalo.

Believing that the team is safe just because Ralph makes money is short-sighted.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X