PDA

View Full Version : Bills Claim TE Scott Chandler From Dallas

patmoran2006
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The Dallas Morning news reports that the Buffalo Bills have claimed tight end Scott Chandler off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys today.
Chandler was placed on waivers Wednesday by the Cowboys after they were forced to sign tight end Martin Rucker to their 53-man roster from the practice squad after the Bills tried to sign him earlier this week.

Chandler has played in nine games for Dallas this season and is regarded as an excellent blocking tight end. He didn’t have a reception this season.

Late last night the Bills signed tight end Mike Caussin from the Jacksonville Jaguars practice squad and placed defensive end Dwan Edwards on Injured Reserve the morning.

The Bills will have to make a roster move to accompany Chandler’s arrival. With five tight ends now on the roster, it’s highly likely Shawn Nelson, who’s been battling migraines among other ailments, will be placed on Injured Reserve. Reggie Torbor is another, though less likely, possibility to get shelved for the season.

SquishDaFish
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice to see a team making moves to IMPROVE :clap:

Crisis
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice to see a team making moves to IMPROVE :clap:

taking trash from a 3-8 team is improving?

mikemac2001
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
disappointed with shawn nelson but the migranes make sense since he stopped puffing

hopefully he can shake it and show signs of being an offensive weapon like last year.

X-Era
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Nice to see a team making moves to IMPROVE :clap:I'm not sure these are clear improvements. I think Caussin and now Chandler point to one thing, Nelson isn't safe. I would expect a TE in this upcoming draft. Kendricks and Williams are both guys I like and can be had with a mid-round pick. Obviously someone like Rudolph would be great but I think we have more pressing needs and will address those first.

YardRat
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
A blocker...Nice.

patmoran2006
12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
He seems like a David Martin-type.

Nothing is confirmed about Nelson going to IR yet, but I can't imagine any other scenario. The Bills now have 5 TEs on roster, no way they're rolling into Sunday with that.

BidsJr
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Go HAWKEYES!

more cowbell
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Nix drafted him if i remember correctly

SquishDaFish
12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Making moves trying to find something at a position of weakness is Improving or attempting to do so

patmoran2006
12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I admittedly know nothing about Chandler other than he's now a Buffalo Bill.

Akhippo
12-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I would love Rudolph in the second. A big dual threat to add another dimension to the offense.

justasportsfan
12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
check out his stats. He's the most consistent guy I've ever seen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8383/splits;_ylt=AhBjy7rpjTxaMNYnnAU9FfL.uLYF?year=career

justasportsfan
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
he looks mean too :nervous:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8383/photos;_ylt=AswNareiEB7kJYNgML7ksxb.uLYF?slug=bb5d079af9ec4a75bd3361e7b64e8d38

methos4ever
12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9952

better days
12-02-2010, 05:48 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8383/splits;_ylt=AhBjy7rpjTxaMNYnnAU9FfL.uLYF?year=career

He must be a hell of a blocker.

Beebe's Kid
12-02-2010, 06:13 PM

That was funny stuff...I "lol'd."

Reading the scouting report, he actually looked like a decent tight end at Iowa...second to Marv Cook in TE receptions...

X....Hell yeah, this means Nelson isn't safe. He shouldn't be. I, like you, really like the kid, and was excited to see him tear **** up this year. Then there was the piece on him from camp, the one about he couldn't get his foot work right at the line. He was kind of shrugging it off, which was a red flag. Then the suspension.

I still believe the kid has what it takes, minus maybe the motivation. Hopefully he gets a little bit of a fire lit under his ass and decides to step it up this off season and comes with the attitude to match his athletic ability.

If he doesn't...let him go, and let's move on.

split71
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Heck, at 6'7" 272 lbs. he's another tackle on the line...

The last buffalo fan
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM

:spit: pendejo! :mad:

X-Era
12-02-2010, 06:42 PM
That was funny stuff...I "lol'd."

Reading the scouting report, he actually looked like a decent tight end at Iowa...second to Marv Cook in TE receptions...

X....Hell yeah, this means Nelson isn't safe. He shouldn't be. I, like you, really like the kid, and was excited to see him tear **** up this year. Then there was the piece on him from camp, the one about he couldn't get his foot work right at the line. He was kind of shrugging it off, which was a red flag. Then the suspension.

I still believe the kid has what it takes, minus maybe the motivation. Hopefully he gets a little bit of a fire lit under his ass and decides to step it up this off season and comes with the attitude to match his athletic ability.

If he doesn't...let him go, and let's move on.Maybe that comes in the form of getting pushed by a nice new receiving prospect.

TigerJ
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure these are clear improvements. I think Caussin and now Chandler point to one thing, Nelson isn't safe. I would expect a TE in this upcoming draft. Kendricks and Williams are both guys I like and can be had with a mid-round pick. Obviously someone like Rudolph would be great but I think we have more pressing needs and will address those first.

Give this man the prize. This is exactly what is happening. Shawn Nelson was drafted with the hope that he would develop into a difference maker. Between the drug use suspension and the health (migraine) issues, and just plain invisibility on the field, the Bills are coming to the conclusion he's never going to be that difference maker. Every body else at the TE position (Stupar etc.) are journeyman types, of whom the Bills don't expect a lot other than filling roles. The Bills are starting to look at players with what they hope is some upside. If they find someone who looks like a diamond in the rough, it may drop TE as a priority in the draft, but in any case, the Bills are definitely looking at a future in which Shawn Nelson is gone from the roster.

The Spaz
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
He used to be a WR at Iowa so he has some pretty good athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7iUSt1XA0

bigbub2352
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM
i like him as a goal line or shortyardage blocker and a redzone threat ( caught alot of td's at iowa and was buried on depth chart in dallas)
something nelson martin and stupar are not...can't do worse at the position then what we are rolling with now

Lexwhat
12-03-2010, 05:23 AM
I wonder if the Bills actually wanted Scott Chandler in the first place... Did they make a calculated move by trying to sign Rucker in hopes that the Cowboys would promote him to their active roster and cut Chandler? That's the first thing I thought of.

Martellus Bennett and Witten are already on the Cowboys active roster -- with those 2 names, and all the good WRs they have, it's unlikely they would've kept 4 TEs on the 53 man roster.

Just a theory.

Lexwhat
12-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Heck, at 6'7" 272 lbs. he's another tackle on the line...

I would love Rudolph in the second. A big dual threat to add another dimension to the offense.

Maybe that comes in the form of getting pushed by a nice new receiving prospect.

This puts things in perspective. From what I have noticed, it seems that Gailey values Tight Ends more as blockers, not as receivers. I don't think that we would add a Tight End in the 2nd round given all our needs on Defense.

Which leads me to this...
The reason our O-Line has looked better is because of this extra blocker. IMO, this has made it seem as if D.Bell is playing better than he really is. Bell may still continue to improve, but at his current level, I still think we need a new LT in addition to a new RT.

Saratoga Slim
12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
He used to be a WR at Iowa so he has some pretty good athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7iUSt1XA0

I think he may have started as a WR and finished as a TE. I remember him looking really good against Syracuse a few years back. He had at least one TD.

better days
12-03-2010, 07:29 AM
This puts things in perspective. From what I have noticed, it seems that Gailey values Tight Ends more as blockers, not as receivers. I don't think that we would add a Tight End in the 2nd round given all our needs on Defense.

The reason our O-Line has looked better is because of this extra blocker. IMO, this has made it seem as if D.Bell is playing better than he really is. Bell may still continue to improve, but at his current level, I still think we need a new LT in addition to a new RT.

I think the reason Bell has looked better is because of Fitz. Years ago, the OL looked much better with Flutie behind it than Johnson. I think Edwards made the OL look worse than they actually are.

The Bills will probably draft an OT, but not in the 1st or 2nd rnd IMO.

Mahdi
12-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Don't agree with that.

Both Chandler and Caussin are receiving TEs. Chandler is has the added bonus of being a decent blocker and has the size to back it up.

In his last two years at Iowa Chandler had 93 receptions over 1100 yards and 8 TDs. That is a good receiving total.

Also, the Bills have been playing spread offense or 3 WRs almost exclusively and Bell has been getting NO HELP. Maybe just Fred chipping once in a while but Bell was 1 on 1 with Harrison for most of the game and the only way Harrison could get his sack was to loop around and rush through the A gap.

Bell was dominant in that game in pass protection and actually decent in run blocking.

DraftBoy
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Don't agree with that.

Both Chandler and Caussin are receiving TEs. Chandler is has the added bonus of being a decent blocker and has the size to back it up.

In his last two years at Iowa Chandler had 93 receptions over 1100 yards and 8 TDs. That is a good receiving total.

Also, the Bills have been playing spread offense or 3 WRs almost exclusively and Bell has been getting NO HELP. Maybe just Fred chipping once in a while but Bell was 1 on 1 with Harrison for most of the game and the only way Harrison could get his sack was to loop around and rush through the A gap.

Bell was dominant in that game in pass protection and actually decent in run blocking.

:?:

Mahdi
12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
:?:
I see yer point...

Goobylal
12-03-2010, 10:21 PM
i like him as a goal line or shortyardage blocker and a redzone threat ( caught alot of td's at iowa and was buried on depth chart in dallas)
something nelson martin and stupar are not...can't do worse at the position then what we are rolling with now
If he is indeed an "excellent blocker," he'll be a major upgrade at TE for the Bills. And given his receiving history at Iowa (2nd all-time there), the guy has some receiving skills that seem to have been untapped, for some reason.

Goobylal
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM

I've read more than a few "experts" say they've watched Bell and say he's doing a good job, without mention of the help he's getting. And even if he's getting help, the TE staying home to block isn't hindering the passing game. While an "excellent" blocking TE should only help the running game.

Goobylal
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Don't agree with that.

Yep. And considering how bad he looked last year, as well as how he missed practice time from game 8 of last year to the 2nd pre-season game this year, it's amazing how far he's come. I'm hoping a healthy rest of the season and off-season only makes him an even better player next year.

And I hope Chandler is at least the "excellent blocker" he's been called, and is an untapped receiving threat. I don't know anything abut Caussin, so I'm not expecting much.