PDA

View Full Version : BJ @ Sabres GDT

SabreEleven
12-03-2010, 04:54 PM
it looks like this game will be streamed on Yahoo!

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
great first period.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 07:49 PM
2nd period is sloppy so far- they dodged the bullet twice.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
what a fight by McCormick- he decked Commodore.

helmetguy
12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Kaleta DESTROYED Dorsett.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah great fight by Kaleta.

I can't believe Stafford missed that breakaway. That's as close to a "gimme" as you get in the NHL.

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2010, 09:01 PM
yeah great fight by Kaleta.

I can't believe Stafford missed that breakaway. That's as close to a "gimme" as you get in the NHL.
What was a gimmie about it? Do you realize that goalies make the save well over 50% of shoot out attempts and those are clear as possible.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
What was a gimmie about it? Do you realize that goalies make the save well over 50% of shoot out attempts and those are clear as possible.

I bet Ovechkin makes that play well over 50% of the time, as do Crosby, Kane, Alfredsson, Spezza and at least a half dozen other players in the NHL.

We need a REAL scorer.

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I bet Ovechkin makes that play well over 50% of the time, as do Crosby, Kane, Alfredsson, Spezza and at least a half dozen other players in the NHL.

We need a REAL scorer.
Well that I agree with... Hey give Stafford a break he did score and is actually giving effort. More than usual out of him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I really like Ennis. He makes things happen with and without the puck.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Well that I agree with... Hey give Stafford a break he did score and is actually giving effort. More than usual out of him.

I'll give you that. He had a great game.

helmetguy
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
It was his first game back, right?

Electrici
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I know the game just ended, but anyone have a clip of the Kaleta fight? Sounded like sound bombs were dropped on both combatants.

helmetguy
12-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Dorsett landed the frst three. Kaleta jack hammered after that.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I know the game just ended, but anyone have a clip of the Kaleta fight? Sounded like sound bombs were dropped on both combatants.

the Montador fight was ass, but the Kaleta and McCormick fights were great. Kaleta ate a couple then literally just unloaded about 15 or 20 in a row and most of them landed.

Electrici
12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I saw a portion of the Montador fight, looked like he only got involved since Stafford went down on the play. My slingbox connection took a dump and that was really the only 1 minute portion of the game I saw, and I had to listen to the rest on wgr.

OpIv37
12-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I saw a portion of the Montador fight, looked like he only got involved since Stafford went down on the play. My slingbox connection took a dump and that was really the only 1 minute portion of the game I saw, and I had to listen to the rest on wgr.

He went up against Boll, who is Columbus' enforcer that fights all the time. And Montador doesn't usually fight- you're right, he went to aid Stafford but was in over his head. He ate a couple then got dragged down pretty quick, and didn't really land any shots on his own.

I give him credit for having the balls to stand up for his teammate when he pretty much knew he was going to get his ass kicked, but it was a boring, one-sided fight.

helmetguy
12-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Here's Kaleta's bout. Looks like Dorsett actually went after Vanek first.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/99463

Dr. Lecter
12-03-2010, 10:12 PM

We need a REAL scorer.
Ovechkin - 30%
Crosby - 42%
Alfredsson - 33%
Kane - 42%
Spezza - 36%
Stafford - 35%

http://www.nhlshootouts.com/AllTimeShooterStats.htm

In fact, there are only 14 players who have a career shootout % that is 50% or higher.

http://www.nhlshootouts.com/ShootoutStats.htm

You are as wrong on this as you were on cross ownership in the NFL!!!

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
OH DAMN OP WAS WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hydro
12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
:rofl: Lecter ownage for realz

Cleve
12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Watching again this morning on DVR - what a great game for the Sabres. They hammered out a lop-sided big win against a team with a winning record, and a team that's had a lot of success against the Sabres in recent years.

If only the Sabres could play like that every game. Great job, fellas, and keep it up.

SkateZilla
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

We need a REAL scorer.

not in the last 10 games he hasnt... lets all bash him now. he's not allowed to miss.

Cleve
12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Something else impressive about the Sabres in this game - they were super physical, aggressive and fired up! They took it right to the BJ's "goons" - they didn't take any crap at all, and paid it back at the right time - that punch up by Kaleta was classic . If only Lindy could keep them stoked this way all the time.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Ovechkin - 30%
Crosby - 42%
Alfredsson - 33%
Kane - 42%
Spezza - 36%
Stafford - 35%

http://www.nhlshootouts.com/AllTimeShooterStats.htm

In fact, there are only 14 players who have a career shootout % that is 50% or higher.

http://www.nhlshootouts.com/ShootoutStats.htm

You are as wrong on this as you were on cross ownership in the NFL!!!
Except that I was talking about BREAKAWAYS, not shootouts. Nice try though.

Stafford should have made the play. Period.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 12:22 PM
:rofl: Lecter ownage for realz
Only if you think breakaways and shootouts are the same thing. Only Caps fans are that ignorant.

SabreEleven
12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Something else impressive about the Sabres in this game - they were super physical, aggressive and fired up! They took it right to the BJ's "goons" - they didn't take any crap at all, and paid it back at the right time - that punch up by Kaleta was classic . If only Lindy could keep them stoked this way all the time.

The news of Quinn leaving will pump up any team.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
The news of Quinn leaving will pump up any team.

I was actually worried it would have the opposite effect. These guys have to be concerned that the new ownership won't give them contracts for doing nothing like Quinn does.

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Only if you think breakaways and shootouts are the same thing. Only Caps fans are that ignorant.
Their percentages are lower on in game breakaways that is for certain.

:shakeno:

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Except that I was talking about BREAKAWAYS, not shootouts. Nice try though.

Stafford should have made the play. Period.

I would guess breakaways are a lower % than shootouts because players do not have time to think about their moves nor are they able to pick the exact angle and approach they want to take.

Breakaways are not a 100% thing, despite your ill-informed opinion and your uncanny ability to find a way to ***** about a 5-0 victory against a top 4 team from the west that had a 8-2-0 road record before last night and a way to ***** and nit-pick a guy that in his first game back from injury and missing ten games had one goal and one assist.

It would have been great had he made it, but it is not as simple as you like to make it sound.

Can't you ever be happy about a victory?

And are there not similarities to shootouts and breakaways?

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
BTW - do you have any evidence that those players are over 50% on breakaways?

Or are you offering an opinion with no facts to back it up?

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I would guess breakaways are a lower % than shootouts because players do not have time to think about their moves nor are they able to pick the exact angle and approach they want to take.

Breakaways are not a 100% thing, despite your ill-informed opinion and your uncanny ability to find a way to ***** about a 5-0 victory against a top 4 team from the west that had a 8-2-0 road record before last night and a way to ***** and nit-pick a guy that in his first game back from injury and missing ten games had one goal and one assist.

It would have been great had he made it, but it is not as simple as you like to make it sound.

Can't you ever be happy about a victory?

And are there not similarities to shootouts and breakaways?

Nit-pick a guy on his first game back from injury? Really? I mean, it's not like Stafford's ENTIRE career hasn't been filled with similar moments.

I don't care if they're 100%- good players make that play. Period.

*****ing about a 5-0 victory? Just because the team won 5-0 doesn't mean every player played well and did what they should have. Players don't get off the hook for screwing up just because the team won. Maybe the next time it happens we'll be down 3-2 and need that goal to force OT. Or maybe we'll be tied and we'll need that breakaway goal to avoid giving a point to a conf opponent.

Yes, there are similarities, but to state that shootout percentages and breakaway percentages are the same is just blatantly false. It is possible for breakaway percentages to be higher than SO percentages because there are other factors- for example, the goalie also has to worry about the trailer, so that helps the shooter.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't care if they're 100%- good players make that play. Period.

Not all of the time. Not even close.

Unless you have evidence that those players score on 100% of their breakaways.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
BTW - do you have any evidence that those players are over 50% on breakaways?

Or are you offering an opinion with no facts to back it up?

do you have any evidence that they don't? You offer evidence of shootouts then pretend it applies to breakaways because of your opinion that breakaways are similar to shootouts.

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
do you have any evidence that they don't? You offer evidence of shootouts then pretend it applies to breakaways because of your opinion that breakaways are similar to shootouts.
I did not make the initial claim that those players do that - you did. I assume you have ample evidence.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Not all of the time. Not even close.

Unless you have evidence that those players score on 100% of their breakaways.

No one is 100%. But good players make that play. Period.

This is the whole problem with this board. A Bills or Sabres player screws up, and yet people insist on defending them anyway. If you want to take the attitude that "It's ok that he missed because good players miss that play too," then don't complain when we miss the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and get our asses kicked in the first round when we do make it.

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I did not make the initial claim that those players do that - you did. I assume you have ample evidence.

Watch a game with one of those players sometime- you'll see all the evidence you need.

I made the initial claim that good players make that play. Period. So far, I haven't seen anything to refute that- just your opinion.

Crisis
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
you should be a politician op

Dr. Lecter
12-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Watch a game with one of those players sometime- you'll see all the evidence you need.

I made the initial claim that good players make that play. Period. So far, I haven't seen anything to refute that- just your opinion.
Do you at least admit that there are significant similarities to shootouts and breakaways? And that the shootout stats are not what you were thinking they were?

OpIv37
12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Do you at least admit that there are significant similarities to shootouts and breakaways? And that the shootout stats are not what you were thinking they were?

The shootout stats were not what I was thinking the breakaway stats would be, but considering they are two different things, I really don't see what's so surprising about that.

helmetguy
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Hmmmm...didnt LaLime or Enroth STONE Ovenchicken on a breakaway not long ago?.

OpIv37
12-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Hmmmm...didnt LaLime or Enroth STONE Ovenchicken on a breakaway not long ago?.
It was miller. But Ovechkin makes that play far more often than not. I can't say the same for Stafford.

Good players make that play. Period.

Cleve
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I was actually worried it would have the opposite effect. These guys have to be concerned that the new ownership won't give them contracts for doing nothing like Quinn does.

There's a thought - they could be playing like employees who realize they could lose their job if they don't do their job well.

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
It was miller. But Ovechkin makes that play far more often than not. I can't say the same for Stafford.

Actually per the stats he only makes that play 30% of the time which is not more often then not.

Dr. Lecter
12-05-2010, 11:43 AM

But Ovechkin did not make the play.

Therefore he is not a good player.

Gotcha!

Besides, I don't think anybody in their right mind would compare Stafford to Ovechkin. Nobody said he was as good as Ovechkin. You are just using the absurd comparison to make a reason to ***** about something that you were wrong about.

Ebenezer
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Doesn't matter. Op wants 12 superstars at the forward position or else.

Crisis
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I can't believe someone is trying to make a comparison between Stafford and Ovechkin....

Dr. Lecter
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Says the man who wants all 12 forwards to be 30 goal scorers.......

Ebenezer
12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Says the man who wants all 12 forwards to be 30 goal scorers.......
Get your fact straight...20 goal scorers. :D - and that is on average.

And we'd have a better chance of finding that then 12 superstars.

SkateZilla
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
The Bills just plain suck.....

OpIv37
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Actually per the stats he only makes that play 30% of the time which is not more often then not.

What stats? The shootout stats? No one has posted breakaway stats- you're all just assuming that they're the same with no proof.

OpIv37
12-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Really? I criticized a fwd that's struggled for 3 years for missing a breakaway, and suddenly that means I want 12 superstar fwd's? That's one hell of a leap.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Crosby was stopped on a breakaway.

Clearly he is not a good player. :(

X-Era
12-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Based on your thread title, I was expecting lots of inappropriate responses.

JD
12-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Crosby was stopped on a breakaway.

Clearly he is not a good player. :(
AVERAGE, at best. A goal scorer would have put that in the back of the net!