PDA

View Full Version : The one free agent that slipped away...

Tatonka
06-18-2003, 10:45 AM
who is it to you.. and there is no need to get into a big debate about.. well TD didnt want him, thats why we didnt get him, ect ect.. just your personal opinion.. who did we miss out on?

i absolutely couldnt make up my mind between these two guys...

chris claiborne - he signed for dirt cheap, 5 mill, 2 years with the vikings. that is pennies for a LB of his talent and potential. word was that he was lazy in detriot, and he was the one that matt millen singled out as being a "gutless waste" last year... he has since moved on and gotten in great shape for the vikes and looks to be a force this year. he has been one of the best player on the lion since being drafted. how much better would you feel with him over posey?

hugh douglas - i know he is older, and signed a fairly large deal, but we could have fit him under our cap (still have 6mill left). our DE spot would go from a weakness to an immediate strength. what a difference a player could have made.

i really couldnt think of any good FS's that we missed out on.. get roy williams in 3 more years. :supper:

Jan Reimers
06-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Claiborne is potentially better than Posey, but didn't we get him for less than Claiborne got? If not, we goofed. Don't think Douglas has a lot left, his production declined toward season's end. Still, for one year...

Jan Reimers
06-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah, he wouldn't have signed for one year.

lordofgun
06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
I would have preferred John Thornton over Sam Adams, but oh well...

WG
06-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Ditto here!

We have no idea how well Adams will play either. He may be only average. Either way, he's getting up there in years and signing Thornton to a nice 6 year contract would have cemented one DT position for us for the rest of the decade.

Claiborne and Douglas are good too, but remember, we weren't sure how much cash we would have and Douglas came at a high price. Claiborne wasn't cheap either.

Turf
06-18-2003, 12:31 PM
I would liked to have seen Douglas here. He's still better than what we've got, and would have to be accounted for by the offense. DE is our biggest weakness.

THATHURMANATOR
06-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Douglas would have been nice but I really don't think he has too many years left.

BillsNYC
06-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Either way, he's getting up there in years and signing Thornton to a nice 6 year contract would have cemented one DT position for us for the rest of the decade.

i think RW wants a championship and he wants it NOW!!

Pride
06-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Bill Parcels. Mularky from Pittsburgh. Anyone better than GW.. which is most coaches! Anyone know of anyone in the Pee Wee ranks?

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-18-2003, 01:48 PM
I would of rather had Thornton too, he has some decent upside to him.

Doc
06-18-2003, 03:03 PM
About the ONLY thing I can say about Thornton that appealed to me more than Adams is that he's younger. Outside of that, he's an decent player but not in Adams' league. One player I wished they had gotten was Lassiter.

justasportsfan
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Rob Johnson:yikes:

mvb1781
06-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Thorton is one of the best dt's in the league. Dont get me wrong I like the pick up of sam adams but the bengals also wanted sam who only wanted to play for the bills so they got there 2nd choice in Thorton.
I see Thorton as being a better player and a safer bet for the future but both the bills and the bengals see Sam as being better.(the bengals opinion isnt sayin much though)

McClane
06-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Marcus Robinson and MarTay Jenkins....

justasportsfan
06-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Disregarding cap nos. Peerless Price.

venis2k1
06-18-2003, 03:25 PM
I say we offer McKenzie and a conditional pick(15 sacks=1st round, 10-14=2nd) for Jevon Kearse, the titans could use the cap relief, and we will most likly get our first round pick back if we trade Henry or Willis this offseason.

HenryRules
06-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Roosevelt Colvin would have been great instead of Posey IMO. I'm pleased with Posey, but think that Colvin is more of a gamebreaker.

Doc
06-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Like he was last year? He had 7 of his 10.5 sacks in the first 5 games and was nowhere to be found when the Pats were making that comeback from 3 TD's down to the Bears. Beyond that he has a bum shoulder. Posey will be virtually as good and a lot cheaper.

Demon
06-18-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

I wouldn't. I think we are past the rebuilding stage. I think we wanted to get both skill and expierence in the off-season and Sam Adams is proven to be a impact player, esspicially from like weeks 4 til end of the season. Adams took Baltimore and Oakland to the Super Bowl and even though Thornton might have been the better player for the future, hes definetly not the better player for NOW and for the next 2 or 3 years. And Adams is what? 3 years older then Thornton?

If i had to do the whole off-season over, i would have signed Adams ahead of Thornton. Adams is proven he can take pressure off the other players on the line (Pat Williams esspicially) and Thornton might have been as good as he seemed because he was on the same line as Haynesworth and Carter and Kearse when healthy.

Don't be shocked to see Williams have one of his best seasons this year with Adams taking alot of pressure off him just like Ted Washington used to do.

Originally posted by Travis Hunter
I would liked to have seen Douglas here. He's still better than what we've got, and would have to be accounted for by the offense. DE is our biggest weakness.

Not even a chance i would even consider him. He's over the hill. Ask ANY Philly fan what they feel about him? He is all rested at the start of the season and plays awsome, but where is he in the 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs?? Just to let you know, in the two playoff games last season he played in, he had a total of 2 tackles and 0 sacks.

The more he plays the worse he gets. Just watch him this upcoming season or ask a Philly fan who watches the games.

And no, i'm no Philly fan, i just love football :)

Tatonka
06-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
I say we offer McKenzie and a conditional pick(15 sacks=1st round, 10-14=2nd) for Jevon Kearse, the titans could use the cap relief, and we will most likly get our first round pick back if we trade Henry or Willis this offseason.

god no.. colvin is horrible at playing the run..

i would take posey.. 2 sack difference and millions cheaper.

Doc
06-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Everyone reports that Posey had 8 sacks last year. I checked NFL.com's gamebooks for every game he played as well as the play-by-play, and he had 8 full sacks and 2-half sacks, for a total of 9 sacks. However he got to the QB 10 times, while Colvin got the QB 11 times (10 full plus 1-half sack).

Tatonka
06-18-2003, 07:11 PM
nice.. didnt know that.

venis2k1
06-18-2003, 07:13 PM
The diference between Colvin and Posey is that Colvin has done it for more than one year, Posey still has to prove that he isnt a 1 year wonder, or a product of the system he played in.

Demon
06-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by McClane
Marcus Robinson and MarTay Jenkins....

The same Robinson who has 5 TD's in the last 2 seasons and only 1 good year in his career? He's way too much injury prone and he's not even that quick. He was one of Chicago's top 3 WR's and got similar stats to Jett who is really fast, has playoff expierence and played the #4 or #5 spot in Oakland.

Sorry man, i'd prefer Jett and Shaw over Robinson and Jenkins.

HenryRules
06-18-2003, 07:49 PM
I never put Posey down ... I just think that he's going to be a solid LB. Colvin in our D with Lebeau on board would be another Bryce Paup I think.

Doc
06-18-2003, 07:53 PM
There's no reason to think that Posey can't do as well, having LeBeau and Don Blackmon, who is regarded as an excellent LB'er coach. Posey came from Dom Capers' system, and he and LeBeau are cut from the same cloth.

Stewie
06-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Maybe Claiborne didn't want to come to Buffalo

Doc
06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Okay I checked out Posey's sack stats again and as I said, he got 8 full sacks and 2-half sacks, for 9 sacks, or getting to the QB 10 times. He sacked such QB's as Manning, McNabb, Brunell, and even Bledsoe. Not only that, but he played ST's.

McClane
06-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Demon

The same Robinson who has 5 TD's in the last 2 seasons and only 1 good year in his career? He's way too much injury prone and he's not even that quick. He was one of Chicago's top 3 WR's and got similar stats to Jett who is really fast, has playoff expierence and played the #4 or #5 spot in Oakland.

Sorry man, i'd prefer Jett and Shaw over Robinson and Jenkins.

Wow, you can't be serious! You don't like Robinson cause he's had 5 TD's in the last 2 seasons but yet you prefer Jett who's had 4 (Robinson is also 5 years younger) and Shaw who's had 3? Robinson was #4 on the Bears last year, NOT 3...Shaw was #2 on JAX and had 2 less TD's...Pretty weak reasoning man..

Robinson is built like Moulds, Owens and David Boston, and was starting to have a career like those guys b4 injury (his best season is still better than any of Moulds')...meaning if he could regain that form we'd have 2 Moulds' on this team, at very little cost or loss...definitely worth the chance...

His market value has gone way down because of the injury and then losing his starting job 2 Booker and White, he would've been a steal, but he's gonna come back with a monster season as a starter in Baltimore instead...

James Jett and Bobby Shaw aren't gonna regain ANY form cause they never had game like MR's...

I'd seriously be shocked if Jett even makes the team...

As for Jenkins he would've been HUGE for us on ST, no doubt...

mikemac2001
06-18-2003, 10:42 PM
i like robinson IF He is healthy and if we could get him cheap....hey bring him in to camp see what he can do i like him better then jett and shaw...but shaw i wanna see closer.

Demon
06-19-2003, 01:02 AM

Wow, you can't be serious! You don't like Robinson cause he's had 5 TD's in the last 2 seasons but yet you prefer Jett who's had 4 (Robinson is also 5 years younger) and Shaw who's had 3? Robinson was #4 on the Bears last year, NOT 3...Shaw was #2 on JAX and had 2 less TD's...Pretty weak reasoning man..

Robinson is built like Moulds, Owens and David Boston, and was starting to have a career like those guys b4 injury (his best season is still better than any of Moulds')...meaning if he could regain that form we'd have 2 Moulds' on this team, at very little cost or loss...definitely worth the chance...

His market value has gone way down because of the injury and then losing his starting job 2 Booker and White, he would've been a steal, but he's gonna come back with a monster season as a starter in Baltimore instead...

James Jett and Bobby Shaw aren't gonna regain ANY form cause they never had game like MR's...

I'd seriously be shocked if Jett even makes the team...

As for Jenkins he would've been HUGE for us on ST, no doubt...

We needed Jett for his speed, Bledsoe will improve his game. Robinson isn't as fast as Jett, even though i don't have facts behind that statment i am pretty sure from watching games that Robinson is much slower then Jett.

Robinson has only had 1 good season in his whole career. What makes you think he can regain that? Jett has been in the playoffs and in the super bowl, and has played in big games. How many big games do you think Robinson has played in? 2?

Shaw will probably be the #5 WR on the Bills so i am not worried about his stats. Shaw will be the kickoff and punter returner and he's way better then Jenkins in that.

And yes, Jett WILL make the team so you better get return to be "shocked".

Tatonka
06-19-2003, 01:12 AM
i would definately take robinson.. definately.

over jett? are you kidding me? robinson as a 5th wr???

Earthquake Enyart
06-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Jett still has some speed. He is here for when we go 4 wide to take the safety deep to open up the intermediate routes.

Robinson hasn't recovered from the knee surgery he had before last season. He definitely has lost a step or two.

I'm with justa. The only FA I would like is PP.

McClane
08-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Demon

And yes, Jett WILL make the team so you better get return to be "shocked".

Now, I'm not 1 to say I told you so...

lordofgun
08-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Now, I'm not 1 to say I told you so...

Nice call. :D

WG
08-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Doc
About the ONLY thing I can say about Thornton that appealed to me more than Adams is that he's younger. Outside of that, he's an decent player but not in Adams' league. One player I wished they had gotten was Lassiter.

I guess it's pretty clear by now that Adams isn't the player that many remember....

:)

Buczilla
08-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
The Titans aren't gonna be trading Kearse any time soon.

Doc
08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Adams is fine. Just wait until the REAL season starts. BTW, how are guys like Claiborne, Thornton, Jenkins, and Marcus Robinson doing?

WG
08-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Don't know.

I know that Thornton's done more than prove himself and he's just entering his prime and is clearly on the upside.

I also know that EJ Henderson is having a good PS.

Michael82
08-25-2003, 09:23 PM
The one free agent that slipped away....:D

http://www.detroitlions.com/images/athletes/mariucci_mug.jpg

Tatonka
08-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

I also know that EJ Henderson is having a good PS.

what the hell does he have to do with anything??

there you go again.. always bringing up good old ej henderson.. who is a back up on his current team and would be a back up here too.

tell me.. what has he done that is so special in training camp so far?