PDA

View Full Version : There is No Such Thing - Moral Victories

Ingtar33
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
In football there is no such thing as a moral victory.

Moral victories are what losers console themselves with; or excuse their loss with. Moral Victories don't make a team better. They don't teach a team how to win; or how to work for a win.

Ultimately, winning is HARDER then losing.

This is something many players don't grasp. Many of them came to the NFL from winning college football programs surrounded by surreal talent, with surreal talent themselves, where they could dominate their competition on a weekly basis just by showing up.

Sure, there are players who grasp just how hard winning actually is, but they are in the vast minority. It is up to the coach, team, and atmosphere around the team, to educate the players on what it takes to win. The problem long time losing teams have is they have the atmosphere of a loser. There is no culture of work ethic, no culture of winning. New players come in and adjust to the losing culture and become worse for it.

A few weeks ago i posted that people really need to take a step back and see this team for what it was. a 2-8 football team. There have been plenty of posts this season about moral victories... both when we were losing (example- it's a huge step forward and improvement we took Balt to OT!) and when we were winning. Again there was talk of moral victories after taking the Steelers to OT.

People talked about this team turning the corner.

-I'm sorry to say but there is no such thing as a moral victory. They need to win to get better, not come close. Chan Gailey, while being a head coach i have little respect for (he is a pretty good OC) knows this is true. He said this past week how he was not happy with taking division leaders or super bowl contenders to OT; that it troubled him the team didn't win. He knows the truth of what i'm typing here.

The only way to shake this loser's malaise that has settled over this franchise is to win.

Not to lose close games. But win.

While i know fans want to have some hope, we have to admit... this team is not better then last season's atrocity. At best it's comparable... in reality it's probably much worse. Lets hope the team closes the season with some wins to get some good momentum for next year

(screw the draft, we're not getting Luck, there is no way on earth that panther's embarrassment wins 2 more games to give him to us... furthermore I'm reminded of what Bill Polian once said about unrestricted free agency... he said teams that draft bad will not be helped by FA because they can't eval talent. The same goes in reverse... or even applies to draft position. Have you noticed the same 10 or so teams are always picking in the top 10? That's not an accident. they're horrid teams precisely because they can't find or scout talent. Higher draft position means nothing to us because, to date this team has shown zero ability to scout or eval talent since butler left.).

Extremebillsfan247
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM
What do you want? for everyone to huddle around and cry on each others shoulders or what? lol Lets take a show of hands here, who on this message board thought this team would be any good this year? take your time, I'll wait. This season was in the can the moment it began. Only those who whine about moral victories being a losers mentality are those who actually expected this no talent team to do something this year. That's what happens when your expectations exceed reality. JMO