• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Doug Whaley

What do you see his role being in the future? Do you think Nix will step down in a year or two and leave things to him? How much was Whaley involved in the draft, considering I believe he covered pro personnel at Pittsburgh?

I was just wondering about this setup, with Nix as GM and Whaley as assistant GM. Wondering what people thought of it and how they're going to implement whatever plan they have in place. Anyone think Nix "retires" in a couple years, but maybe sticks around as a consultant?

I, for one, will be interested to see how things adjust in the front office going forward. It may be a situation analogous to Gailey and playcalling. I believe Gailey said he would be calling the plays this year, then turning things over to Modkins next year. Nix may be thinking he'll do something similar with Whaley. For now, Nix and Whaley both help create a gameplan, but Nix calls the plays...while next couple years Whaley will be making the calls.

Thoughts?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Doug Whaley

Whaley is our next GM. There is no doubt in my mind. Barring the team being sold or an epic fail by Nix and co. over the next 3 years...
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
      • Jan 2010

I'd say Nix will spend 2 more seasons with us then whaley will take over

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

Whaley is from Pittsburgh, so he is amazing!!

Whaley will be the next GM, he will teach Nix everything he knows then he will take over for him.

I think it is really going to depend on how the next couple years go. If it is fun, I don't think Nix is in any hurry to walk away. If is anything like yesterday, Nix might already be gone!!!

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BillsWin
          Whaley is our next GM. There is no doubt in my mind. Barring the team being sold or an epic fail by Nix and co. over the next 3 years...
          I don't doubt it either. I'm just wondering when and what people think about that. My brain is a little fried right now due to work, but I believe the major pro personnel pickup in the offseason was Cornell Green. Whaley was a pro personnel guy at Pittsburgh, so I assume he's played a major role in picking up guys from the pro ranks so far.

Although getting Urbik was nice, among other things lately. The Green fiasco just stands out in my mind. I'm unsure as to what to think about Whaley (I just realized that after Nix retires, we'll most likely have Whaley and Gailey, weird).
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Lexwhat
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
            (I just realized that after Nix retires, we'll most likely have Whaley and Gailey, weird).

Comment

Working...
            X