PDA

View Full Version : Who on the defense...

Whysoserious?
12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you keep around for 2011?

Obviously Kyle Williams is the man, and needs to be locked up long term. Other than that, it comes down to some interesting decisions to see who keeps their starting position, and who gets replaced in the draft.

Pinkerton Security
12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Williams, Poz, Moats, Carrington, Troup, Edwards, Florence, Mcgee, McKelvin, Whitner, Byrd, Wilson should all be kept...not that all should necessarily be starting but IMO we should keep all of these guys around.

Jan Reimers
12-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd add Batten, because he hasn't really had a chance yet.

sdbillsfan2
12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Williams, Poz, Moats, Carrington, Troup, Edwards, Florence, Mcgee, McKelvin, Whitner, Byrd, Wilson should all be kept...not that all should necessarily be starting but IMO we should keep all of these guys around.

Just curious .....Why keep McKelvin ? He seems to cost us at least one game a year. I really don't see him as irreplaceable. sorry.

Whysoserious?
12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Poz does his job. But someone sure could do it better.

Whysoserious?
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM

I guess who'll be starting is the better question.

Pinkerton Security
12-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Just curious .....Why keep McKelvin ? He seems to cost us at least one game a year. I really don't see him as irreplaceable. sorry.
He's not irreplaceable, but we are actually fairly thin at CB, especially with McGee getting up there and seemingly always hurt. I still think he can become a good corner is all, just my opinion.

OpIv37
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd keep Williams, Moats, Carrington, Florence, and maybe Batten because, like Jan said, he didn't get much of a chance.

I know we can't legitimately get rid of everyone else, but everyone else should be on the chopping block if a suitable replacement is available.

Ginger Vitis
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Ayodele.. Torbor.. Stroud... Ellison.. Wouldn't shed any tears if they were gone

Beebe's Kid
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I'd keep Williams, Moats, Carrington, Florence, and maybe Batten because, like Jan said, he didn't get much of a chance.

I know we can't legitimately get rid of everyone else, but everyone else should be on the chopping block if a suitable replacement is available.

This is realistic...we can replace everybody.

This is why you were so upset last off season...you wanted an entire new team of "upgrades." It is not possible.

So, you'd keep 5 players? What does that leave you to replace? Filling the rest of the starting lineup, and one backup per position that leaves 17 holes....

17, Op. Come on man. I know you hate the lack of talent and on and on, but you really don't see any value in Whitner? If that is still the case, you are taking your crusade to another level.

Well, I guess it would be 16, because your boy, Kelsay got his already.

Man it is going to be a long off season, with everybody being "realistic" and calling for the entire team to be cut.

evol4276
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
i think the secondary should stay the same. i think with another year together in the system, they'll be tough to deal with. Williams shoud stay. Kelsay has been playing well lately, but he'll be here no matter what. if anything, we'd need o do something about our LB situation. obviously lol

X-Era
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM

I know we can't legitimately get rid of everyone else, but everyone else should be on the chopping block if a suitable replacement is available.Is there ever a situation where this doesn't apply?

I mean even guys who may just be backups like Ayodele, Torbor, and Davis can be solid backups. If someone comes in and plays better than these guys, they should get the backup job.

If a new player is significantly better than your starter, bench your starter. And if the new player is better than the guy on the bench, keep the new player and cut the player he's replacing.

I only want to cut players when we have a better replacement.

We should be trying to make the roster signifcantly better each year.

TigerJ
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I think the secondary was hurt badly this year by a combination of a new system with new responsibilities in the way they've been asked to cover, and the almost total lack of pressure applied by the front seven. I think they will at least be marginally better next season with no personnel changes, though McGee (because of his injuries) and McKelvin (because of his struggles) are not irreplaceable. Up front, we need to keep Williams, Edwards, Troup, and Carrington on the line. We need to keep Poz, Moats, and Batten at linebacker. We will keep more than that. I think another veteran linebacker or two will stay and maybe another defensive end. Kelsay stays if the new CBA makes it onerous to dump him because of cap issues.

ServoBillieves
12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Williams, Edwards, Scott, Poz, Davis, I'd give Merriman a chance, Florence, Wilson, Whitner, Byrd (sophomore slump)... damn. Safety looks OK, NT, DE look serviceable, Corner needs some work with McGee and McKelvin either injured or not doing their job.

OLB needs serious help, ILB needs a playmaker next to Poz, and another DE. I'd draft/pick up a CB, 2 OLB's, another MLB, 2 DE's, and a big NT.