PDA

View Full Version : Chargers to move back to L.A.?

justasportsfan
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
the Chargers would likely announce in Feb. 2012 that they will not be renewing their lease in San Diego, and that they would play their games in L.A..

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1207-simers-20101207,0,5522231,print.column

Mr. Pink
12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Los Angeles Chargers does have a nice ring to it.

Ickybaluky
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
This was a good line:

"Talk to anyone who has spent time with Chargers owner Dean Spanos — and Spanos already has a pretty good idea of the endgame. Ordinarily, that's a loss in the playoffs, but now it's all about moving to L.A."

I feel bad for the people of San Diego.

RockStar36
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Why feel bad for them? They routinely have a solid team and still can't sell out their stadium.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Why feel bad for them? They routinely have a solid team and still can't sell out their stadium.

That and the team was originally in LA anyways.

Mr. Miyagi
12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Nah, by 2012 LA will already have a team.

LA Vikings.

sdbillsfan2
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Don’t expect Bolts to book moving vans anytime soon

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/01/dont-expect-bolts-book-moving-vans-anytime-soon/

It all comes down to who you believe. Every team has this tactic in their arsenal when they're looking for a new stadium or more money!

BTW ...I can't see the fan base in LA supporting the chargers . Even though they left town , LA is still Raider country.

OpIv37
12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
This would suck for Charger fans, and I hate to see any city lose it's team because we could be next.

But at the same time, if LA gets the Chargers, it's one less potential landing spot for the Bills and it reduces the chances that they'll move.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM
This would suck for Charger fans, and I hate to see any city lose it's team because we could be next.

But at the same time, if LA gets the Chargers, it's one less potential landing spot for the Bills and it reduces the chances that they'll move.
Unless they move to San Diego.

hydro
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM

How would that even happen?

OpIv37
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM

I don't see that happening. The Bills sell as many tickets when they suck as SD does when they're good. And SD is close enough to LA that a lot of fans would stay loyal to the Chargers. It wouldn't make sense to move the Chargers to LA then move the Bills to SD- they'd just move the Bills to LA and save a lot of hassle.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't see that happening. The Bills sell as many tickets when they suck as SD does when they're good. And SD is close enough to LA that a lot of fans would stay loyal to the Chargers. It wouldn't make sense to move the Chargers to LA then move the Bills to SD- they'd just move the Bills to LA and save a lot of hassle.

1.The NFL does not always make sense.

2. It is about much more than fan tickets sales - the ability to sell corporate seats in San Diego is much, much greater. So is TV exposure. And other revenure streams. I am willing to bet that the Chargers take in much more money than the Bills do, even if the Bills sell out every game.

OpIv37
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
1.The NFL does not always make sense.

2. It is about much more than fan tickets sales - the ability to sell corporate seats in San Diego is much, much greater. So is TV exposure. And other revenure streams. I am willing to bet that the Chargers take in much more money than the Bills do, even if the Bills sell out every game.

You may have a point on corporate sales, but do you really think the Chargers get more TV exposure than the Bills? If they do, it's only because of Rivers and because LA doesn't have a team. At some point, the Bills will be good and the Chargers won't have Rivers and then we'll get more exposure.

OpIv37
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Also, if LA and SD both have teams, they will be competing for those corporate dollars.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
You may have a point on corporate sales, but do you really think the Chargers get more TV exposure than the Bills? If they do, it's only because of Rivers and because LA doesn't have a team. At some point, the Bills will be good and the Chargers won't have Rivers and then we'll get more exposure.

They get more TV exposure due to the larger home market. The population in that area is probably at least 5X the Buffalo region.

better days
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
They get more TV exposure due to the larger home market. The population in that area is probably at least 5X the Buffalo region.

I think what many people underestimate is the Bills fan base across America. Because so many people had to leave Buffalo, we are spread across the Country & many have married people not from Buffalo, & made them Bills fans as well. The Bills are truly Americas team, not Dallas.

I would not be surprised if the Bills have more subscribers to Sunday ticket than any other team.

PromoTheRobot
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Los Angeles Chargers does have a nice ring to it.

Do you know why it has a nice ring? Because the Chargers started in L.A. in 1960 before they moved to San Diego. So the team comes back to where they started. Fitting.

PTR

justasportsfan
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM

thats crazy talk. The chances of that happening are slim.

DynaPaul
12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Right now Minnesota and San Diego are using LA as leverage to get new stadium deals. That's all. Bilbo Krafty did the same thing to Hartford some time ago.

Night Train
12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Right now Minnesota and San Diego are using LA as leverage to get new stadium deals. That's all. Bilbo Krafty did the same thing to Hartford some time ago.

And Ralph used Seattle as leverage 40 years ago, when local leaders wanted a football/baseball Dome Stadium in Lancaster to attract MLB. I agree and pay no mind until I see the moving vans. These speculating news articles are only worth the toilet paper they're written on.

YardRat
12-07-2010, 06:38 PM

I just experienced a most terrible flash-back.

smithencrazy
12-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I lived in San Diego from 03-05 and let me tell you that they dont care about the Chargers at all. There is probably just as many Raiders fans as their is Chargers fans. The SD fans are extremely fair weather!

Mike13
12-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I dont see why LA needs a team so badly. They could not keep 3 teams there already.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I dont see why LA needs a team so badly. They could not keep 3 teams there already.
Ugh. Let's take a trip back in time. To 1994, when the Rams and Raiders were both playing in the same city. An earthquake hit, damaging the L.A. Coliseum. Instead of fixing it, the city of Los Angeles ceased all work on the stadium. Al Davis had reached an agreement with the city to renovate the stadium, and the city went back on its word. So, Davis struck a deal with his old city in Oakland and moved back there. He was bent on moving either way.

Meanwhile, the Rams, owned by St. Louis native Georgia Rosenbloom Frontiere, were sick of being treated as the city's second banana franchise. The Raiders were, for all intents and purposes, L.A.'s team during the 1980s and 1990s. Unaware of Davis's plans, Frontiere and the city of St. Louis arranged for a new stadium and the team to move to St. Louis. If I recall right, the Rams moved first. Had the Raiders moved first I'm not so sure the Rams would be in Missouri.

There is plenty of support for ONE NFL team in the L.A. metro area. The Rams believed (and rightly so) that the market cannot support two. The Raiders move was not because of lack of support from the fans.

Also, under your logic... Cleveland, which has had five franchises fail or move and a sixth that is barely surviving as it is, is even less fit for an NFL team.