PDA

View Full Version : pure speculation and inquiry

trapezeus
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
There was an article on yahoo.sports yesterday about how mcdaniels departure puts Tebow's future in jeopardy. Apparently, only mcdaniels really liked the guy. Everyone else on the staff didn't care for him much as a QB prospect.

So the word is his time may be coming to an end with Denver. Knowing how much buffalo liked him in last year's draft, is this something you think the bills would pursue? It's not a bad option if you really like the defensive players on this year's board. You can draft who you want to draft, and pick up Tebow to satisfy the QB crowd and give you a good young QB who needs a bit of grooming under a coach who knows how to groom them.

Just wondering outloud.

psubills62
12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
How much did Buffalo really like Tebow? I know Kelly vouched for him and a TON of the media speculated that we were interested. However, afterwards from various comments from Nix, etc., indications were that they never really targeted Tebow.

I don't know what will happen with Tebow, but I'd rather not see him on the Bills, especially if we trade to get him.

cocamide
12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Our running backs corps is pretty solid already.

OpIv37
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I didn't like him in the draft and I don't like him now.

I suppose that if we don't get a good QB prospect in the draft, and he gets cut so we could sign him cheap, it might be worth the risk. But I certainly wouldn't give up anything of value for him.

trapezeus
12-08-2010, 09:32 AM
i figure in a trade scenario, he can't be worth too much. A. he was yesterday's news, B. he hasn't done much to wow people, C. there are a boatload of newer model QB's that people are infatuated with.

That puts only a few people in the running.

I am torn on this QB thing. Fitz is an adequate stop gap, however, if the coaching staff doesn't really think brohm is the guy, we do need to find a guy to groom and to groom quickly. Fitz can probably be a mid level to slightly above average qb for 2-3 years. He doesn't have the tools that makes me believe he'll be great much past 30. Plus a young guy that gets 2 full years to soak it up as opposed to start is better than getting thrown in there from the start.

I don't think the team's need is QB, as the defense is awful, but i do think it's something they need to seriously consider to give that guy a real shot at being good. Our problems the last few QB's have been throwing guys who aren't close to being ready into the starting role and making them our savior.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
There was an article on yahoo.sports yesterday about how mcdaniels departure puts Tebow's future in jeopardy. Apparently, only mcdaniels really liked the guy. Everyone else on the staff didn't care for him much as a QB prospect.

So the word is his time may be coming to an end with Denver. Knowing how much buffalo liked him in last year's draft, is this something you think the bills would pursue? It's not a bad option if you really like the defensive players on this year's board. You can draft who you want to draft, and pick up Tebow to satisfy the QB crowd and give you a good young QB who needs a bit of grooming under a coach who knows how to groom them.

Just wondering outloud.
Yuck. No to Tebow......:crazy:

Novacane
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Even if they did not like him I don't think they will just dump him after 1 year.

OpIv37
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Let's put it this way: Our desperation for a QB doesn't make any of the available options any better.

Beebe's Kid
12-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Fitzpatrick > Tebow

I know he is a backup, and a stop gap, and serviceable at best and all of the other things everybody, much smarter than myself, "know" about Fitzpatrick, but I'd rather have Fitzy any day over Tebow.

I would rather have Fitzy than a lot of guys, for a multitude of reasons, that are too exhausting for me to go into, and unimportant to those pining for a draft pick, but over Tebow, I would guess that there has to be more than one or two people in agreement with that.

McDaniels is a ****ing flake. He blew his load to get the guy, and then the team extended Orton, and Tebow couldn't get on the field. There was a lot of issues with Tebow coming out of school, as far as making it in the NFL, and none to have dissipated.

I will say that, much like Fitz, Tebow is a guy that has heart, and if we could improve, even marginally, the team around them, I wouldn't feel safe taking bet against either of them. I just happen to appreciate the fact that Fitzy has already done the learning that Tebow will be doing for the next 4 years, if he can hold on that long.

I am sure this thread will take a turn for the worse, when the normal "authorities" on our QB situation get out of bed, but this is a worthy discussion...I just would rather stick with what we have, as there is something to be said for continuity, not that we would ever want that, because we are always looking for the next guy.

Edit: I see some of the authorities have already chimed in...good thing for the ignore feature ****

trapezeus
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Beebe, i think we are on the same page. my point in picking up tebow isn't to make him the savior. it's to make him a better qb from the bench.

i think fitz can do enough to win (provided that this minnesota game isn't his undoing). i think the bills do need to have a guy learning behind him. i don't get the sense they trust brohm to be that guy. but that's just talk on my part. maybe they do and maybe that's why they won't get a QB.

but if they need another QB, Tebow might be a guy to look at. he can take two to 3 years on the bench as fitz plays, and the bills can be focused on defense since it is barely NFL worthy.

RockStar36
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I would be interested to see how Tebow would work with Gailey, however that is a thought from over 6 months ago. At this point the next draft will have so many QB prospects that I'd rather go that route. I still think the Bills would've considered Tebow had Denver not jumped up to take him so early.

PromoTheRobot
12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I understand that Matt Leinert, JaMarcus Russell, and Colt Brennan are all available, as long as we are recycling past draft hypes.

PTR

trapezeus
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
tebow with less than a year of playing, and in a non starter capacity is already at the same level as leinart, russell and brennan?

that's a stretch.

alohabillsfan
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd trade Maybin to Denver for Tebow!! :o)

Night Train
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Our running backs corps is pretty solid already.
But short at TE.

superbills
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd trade Maybin to Denver for Tebow!! :o)

I would crown Buddy Nix GM of the year if he got that done.

Bangarang
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I understand that Matt Leinert, JaMarcus Russell, and Colt Brennan are all available, as long as we are recycling past draft hypes.

PTR

We probably could use JaMarcus Russell after suffering so many OL injuries. He's big enough now, at least.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't we already have Brian Brohm? Let's see what we have in him, a more traditional prospect, before we start tossing around other high pick gambles that haven't turned out.

That being said, Tebow has the physical size that could work in a cold-weather city like Buffalo.

cocamide
12-08-2010, 01:04 PM
But short at TE.

Now this actually makes sense.

PromoTheRobot
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
We probably could use JaMarcus Russell after suffering so many OL injuries. He's big enough now, at least.
I'll give you that. All he'd have to do is lay down.

PTR

Mr. Miyagi
12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Even if they did not like him I don't think they will just dump him after 1 year.
Ever heard of a guy named Brady Quinn?

better days
12-08-2010, 02:18 PM

The current staff will most likely not be in Denver next year anyway, they were McDaniels staff. The question is will the new HC & GM like Tebow enough to give him a chance.

mayotm
12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Ever heard of a guy named Brady Quinn?I have. Cleveland didn't dump him after one year.

mrbojanglezs
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
tim tebow is awful, pure college qb

Ickybaluky
12-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't know if the article want as far as you say, it was more wondering what will happen to him now that McDaniels is out of the picture. I didn't read anything about other coaches not liking Tebow, although it does say the questions from the draft are still there.

At any rate, this is the article, so judge for yourself:

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-tebowmcdaniels120610)

PromoTheRobot
12-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Tebow has a deal to bring his old coach Urban Myer to Denver.

PTR

Johnny Bugmenot
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Ever heard of a guy named Brady Quinn?
Yes, and isn't he behind Tebow on the depth chart?

Eventually
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard similar sentiments regarding teams and their view of Tebow. It does appear now that if the reports are correctly that Denver was the only team willing to take him in the first. But I did hear that Cleveland would have been interested in the 2nd. Regardless though tough to tell regarding what coaches, scouts etc..say about a teams intentions regarding a prospect months after the draft has been completed.

However numerous callers, most likely denver fans, have been calling in about what is going to happen to tebow. Many don't see a fit now that Mcdaniels is gone. Lots were saying things like Mcdaniels linked his future to tebow etc... Now he's gone it will be interesting.

Few more things on this. If the price was right I'd still like to see Tebow in Buffalo. I agree with someone here who would like to see what Gailey could do with him. I've always liked tebow in college and Gailey was the main reason I wanted to get him in the second or trade back into round 1 last year, but glad they didn't sacrifice any picks now in hindsight.

My prediction, just a hunch really, is that Gruden will be the next coach for Denver, or if Gruden takes the San Fran Job I could see him trying to get Tebow in a deal. He's been on record saying how much he loves what Tebow could do, in fact I think he made some kind of comment about how tebow would revolutionize the position in a few years after he did a sit down with Tebow during his senior season. Anyhow at least it's something interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Don't Panic
12-09-2010, 05:58 AM
trap

I get you're coming from. Tebow is far from a sure thing, but if anyone is going to make an NFL QB out of him, it would be Gailey. Plus, I think he is the perfect fit with Fitz in that we would have a competent starter while we continued to groom Tebow. Somewhere between late next season and sometime in the season after we could look to make the transistion and still keep Fitz on as the backup in waiting. i think that's what having Fitz affords you. The opportunity to gamble on someone like Tebow with the confidence that he can come in and get the job done if the gamble doesn't work. There are a few provisions to this though:

1. Fitz would need to be willing to sign at least a one year extension, or a two year deal after this deal expires.

2. We could give no better than a 3rd for him... a 2nd is too high a price.

3. Gailey would need to be the coach for the duration on this one. Changing coaches on Tebow too early after he gets in the game would be detrimental.

4. Luck would have to be off the board and none of the other "top" prospects would have to appeal to Nix and Chan.

If all those stars align and Denver is willing to do the deal (or the Maybin deal... loved that one!), then I'd be willing to take the chance. As much as he breaks the mold of NFL QBs, I still see something in him that I want in my quarterback. He has a moxie that is all too often missing. If Chan can find a way to make the most of his abilities productively, then it may just work.

Michael82
12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Didn't Jon Gruden drool all over Tim Tebow? I wonder if he's tempted to go to Denver and be his head coach.

Don't Panic
12-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Didn't Jon Gruden drool all over Tim Tebow? I wonder if he's tempted to go to Denver and be his head coach.

Shanahan part 2? Raiders then Broncs?

better days
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Shanahan part 2? Raiders then Broncs?

This makes a lot of sense. Gruden is not an egomaniac that will demand total control like some big name HC's.

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2010, 05:49 PM
oh my god, not this guy again. no thanks to tebow for the millionth time.