PDA

View Full Version : Is Spiller going to start showing us something?

Lucky
12-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here. Been a diehard going back when Joe Ferguson was taking snaps. I look forward to discussing our team with you guys.

First up for me is Spiller. While I love his skills, his performance to date has been dissapointing. While it is to early to call him a bust, I am concerned. We have enough holes in the roster already, without having to start over again at the RB position.

trapezeus
12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
welcome to the board.

i wouldn't worry about spiller just yet. even in the worst case, "he's a bust" scenario, there seems to be plenty of nondrafted runningbacks who run ok. Ganther seems to be an average back who filled in nicely. had a long run or two and picked up blocking.

I really don't think we run enough to truly judge the RB's and for the time being fred jackson is the man.

RockStar36
12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Spiller isn't a bust. Maybe they could've drafted elsewhere to help the team, but they didn't, and they'll be fine anyways.

Now if this team was fighting for a playoff spot and Spiller still wasn't playing/producing, I'd be a little more worried. Right now just let him get a few reps and learn the ropes so he can make an impact next season.

Pinkerton Security
12-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Im not worried.

I think in college he was able to rely on his speed and now he is still figuring out exactly how fast these pro players are at every single position. He will hopefully figure out how to better utilize his blockers, hit the hole hard and get the 4 yards that are usually there, and let the big plays come as they may. Chris Johnson is so good because he is patient and takes the yards hes given, but when that 1 play comes where the long run is available, he takes full advantage...this is what Spiller needs to learn, patience.

Lucky
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. Good responses by all.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
As long as you don't expect him to be an every down RB who can provide the occasional big play, you'll likely be pleased with his production.

If you expect more than that, you'll be greatly disappointed.

OpIv37
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
My big concern about Spiller is that so many great RB's break out in their first year. Hell, look at LeGarrett Blount and Chris Ivory.

RB has the easiest learning curve in the NFL and it is not a good sign that Spiller is taking a long time to catch on.

That being said, Jackson is taking a lot of snaps and our OL sucks at run blocking. So, while I am still concerned, it's not impossible for him to improve and be an impact player.

trapezeus
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
i just don't think our RB's get the touches. especially in the first half. in the games they played well in the second half, fred jackson came out and ran the ball. but i can't remember a single game where the running game started out well.

and likei said, fred takes the majority of snaps. it's hard to see spiller walk in for one run and expect much mroe than a few yards.

i do hope that we've seen the last of mckelvin on kicks and punts with a healthy spiller.

justasportsfan
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Not worried about Spiller right now. Will worry if Jackson goes down and Spiller can't pick up where Jackson left off.

OpIv37
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Gailey would be wise to start giving Spiller his opportunity though. Obviously the season's a lost cause- let him have the opportunity to learn.

DraftBoy
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Spiller has seen less touches this year than I expected, which is saying something considering I was basically the only person on this board saying he wasnt ready to handle a full load of carries this early in his career.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Spiller has seen less touches this year than I expected, which is saying something considering I was basically the only person on this board saying he wasnt ready to handle a full load of carries this early in his career.

Did Jesus tell you that too? Or was it obvious?

Spiller will never be able to handle a full load of carries at the NFL level.

DraftBoy
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Did Jesus tell you that too? Or was it obvious?

Spiller will never be able to handle a full load of carries at the NFL level.

Jesus dropped the knowledge, but I told him that I already had this one covered.

He then went back and hit the bong again.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Jesus dropped the knowledge, but I told him that I already had this one covered.

He then went back and hit the bong again.
Really? Wow.:trance:

Cleve
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm willing to bet right now that Spiller will be another bust. I agree with OpIv37's take - he should have shown us more at this point than he has.

His acquisition, given the far more glaring and obvious needs of the team, seemed to me to reek of Ralph Wilson Jr's increasingly erratic and incompetent meddling again.

justasportsfan
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
- he should have shown us more at this point than he has.

He had Lynch and Jackson ahead of him.

Nighthawk
12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Spiller is able to shoulder much more of the load, but right now they have Jackson and Gailey seems more comfortable with his blocking. I highly doubt that Spiller will be a bust and when he did carry the load in the preseason, he did just fine. Yes, it was preseason, but he was playing against the 1st teamers of each team and not the 3rd and 4th string guys.

better days
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Spiller is able to shoulder much more of the load, but right now they have Jackson and Gailey seems more comfortable with his blocking. I highly doubt that Spiller will be a bust and when he did carry the load in the preseason, he did just fine. Yes, it was preseason, but he was playing against the 1st teamers of each team and not the 3rd and 4th string guys.

I agree, I think Spiller will have a good year next year, but I am baffled why Chan has not put him in the slot with Roscoe injured. He seems a perfect fit for that.

Nighthawk
12-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree, I think Spiller will have a good year next year, but I am baffled why Chan has not put him in the slot with Roscoe injured. He seems a perfect fit for that.

Yeah, the way Chan has used him in the passing game is very perplexing. They are not even giving him a chance to make plays down the field...everything is a stupid quick hitch or quick screen.

Bangarang
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Let's see Chris Johnson & Adrian Peterson get 4 carries a game and see how much they produce.

Buffalogic
12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the way Chan has used him in the passing game is very perplexing. They are not even giving him a chance to make plays down the field...everything is a stupid quick hitch or quick screen.He did have that crazy wheel route a couple games ago where he was open in the endzone and overthrown...

But as a running back you need the ball to put up numbers. Spiller isn't getting the ball enough, but FJAX is a good player and he's hot. Also Spiller is coming off injury.

Patience. Spiller will be fine. Remember Deangelo Williams was a nothing his first year, maybe two. Then he figured it out and started killing people.

Lucky
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
He needs to step up and start showing us something. At least flashes that he can play in this league. As a 1st rounder he should be more than just average.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Since no one ever responds to this...

I'm really curious as to why some people think a guy who averaged 12 carries per game in college is going to turn into an NFL feature back.

better days
12-09-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm really curious as to why some people think a guy who averaged 12 carries per game in college is going to turn into an NFL feature back.

How many times did he touch the ball per game? I know they passed the ball to him.

Spiller is one of only 5 players to gain 7000 all purpose yards. I think that is why he was drafted by the Bills.

Lucky
12-09-2010, 04:25 PM

That's a good point and is the main reason I questioned why we even took him in the first.

EDS
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Because Buddy Nix is a genius. He can't be wrong.

better days
12-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Because Buddy Nix is a genius. He can't be wrong.

Way to early to say if Nix was wrong about Spiller, but even a genius can be wrong on occasion.

Polian recently came out & said he was wrong drafting Jerry Hughes & should have drafted an OL instead.

Nighthawk
12-09-2010, 06:29 PM

I don't know, but if you look at his stats, he also produced a ton more with more carries.

Extremebillsfan247
12-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Spiller is going to find it tough to get much production this year, and that may even stretch into next year. He isn't the total problem though. We still have yet to solve 3 issues on our offense. One is an established Oline that can stay healthy through out the course of a football season, 2nd is a decent Tight End which is crucial for a team that plans to run the football a lot, and 3 we still don't have the QB that will lead this team for the next 5 to 7 years. Those are just the tip of the ice burg though. If you dig deeper into this mess you will also find that as long as Fred Jackson continues to perform like he does, he will continue to be the number 1 running back here, and as long as Chan Gailey continues to run a spread like formation, it's going to be tough on Spiller. In the NFL, it takes more than speed and quickness to get out of the backfield, especially in a spread formation. So Spiller in a nut shell is in a pretty tough predicament here. How that changes in the future is unknown at this point but its not looking good.

jamze132
12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't know what you guys are *****ing about. Spiller rushed for 1600+ in each of his first two seasons in my Madden franchise. Year 3 he broke out for 2K. He'll be fine!

stuckincincy
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Spiller is going to find it tough to get much production this year, and that may even stretch into next year. He isn't the total problem though. We still have yet to solve 3 issues on our offense. One is an established Oline that can stay healthy through out the course of a football season, 2nd is a decent Tight End which is crucial for a team that plans to run the football a lot, and 3 we still don't have the QB that will lead this team for the next 5 to 7 years. Those are just the tip of the ice burg though. If you dig deeper into this mess you will also find that as long as Fred Jackson continues to perform like he does, he will continue to be the number 1 running back here, and as long as Chan Gailey continues to run a spread like formation, it's going to be tough on Spiller. In the NFL, it takes more than speed and quickness to get out of the backfield, especially in a spread formation. So Spiller in a nut shell is in a pretty tough predicament here. How that changes in the future is unknown at this point but its not looking good.

Good take. I understand Gailey leaning on the vet Jackson.

I give Gailey a C+, above average, in his 1st year as a HC. Record notwithstanding, they have been more competitive than I had expected.

starrymessenger
12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Im not worried.

I think in college he was able to rely on his speed and now he is still figuring out exactly how fast these pro players are at every single position. He will hopefully figure out how to better utilize his blockers, hit the hole hard and get the 4 yards that are usually there, and let the big plays come as they may. Chris Johnson is so good because he is patient and takes the yards hes given, but when that 1 play comes where the long run is available, he takes full advantage...this is what Spiller needs to learn, patience.
Not just CJ, but most outstanding RBs at the pro level know how to run with vision and patience - Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Arian Foster - Foster's case is particularly illustrative since he is a big powerful back who relies more on running smart and finesse than brute strength. CJ Spiller has not yet shown these skills. I hope he develops them because otherwise he won't have much of a carreer.

Lucky
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know what you guys are *****ing about. Spiller rushed for 1600+ in each of his first two seasons in my Madden franchise. Year 3 he broke out for 2K. He'll be fine!

:D: That's funny.
Seriosuly, he seems only average at this point...at best. Supporting cast or not, I was hoping for much better.

Raptor
12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Could be worse, we could have picked Bulaga

ChristopherWalken
12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Today, while he showed flashes of prowess, his overall performance was certainly lack luster.

He's definitly a bigger threat in passing situations, but at this point, I still feel more comfortable with Jackson carrying the load. There is a major differnce between the two. Jackson appears slow but he powers over lineman and is so patient in waiting to the hole to develop. But some thing he does that CJ certianly does not, is to power out a yard or two. CJ tends to dance way too much rather than hitting the hole.

Things happen in that pile when momentum is yours. If Spiller would stop trying to cha-cha his way to the end zone every play, and instead bull forward as the play intended, he will find that he has the ability to get "skinny" in these holes and crank off more yardage.

I also haven't been too impressed with his returning. He seems to sit on the ball too long rather than just burst up field. Not to mention, he's also chickened out on returning a few from the end zone.

Still have high hopes for this young kid but man I was expecting more right out of the gates. A bit disappointed this late in the season.

Extremebillsfan247
12-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I think I understand his problem a little more now. Yesterday there was some talk during the Dolphins game about how CJ Spiller may be having trouble adjusting to the way they communicate the play calling in the NFL which is different than when he was at Clemson.

At Clemson, when the play came in from the sidelines, everyone on the offense knew immediately. In the pro game its a little different as the QB is the one who gets the play calls through the head set, then calls it either in the huddle or while on the line. That can present problems for a guy who is more use to watching for a signal from the sidelines and isn't use to hearing out for the play call. In time, it will get better and the problem is fixable, so its no big deal in the short term because we still have Jackson to carry the majority of the load. But at some point, CJ is going to have to make that adjustment and step it up. JMO

X-Era
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Spiller is a pile of crap. Let's cut him. Xavier Omon is probably out there somewhere.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
spiller was picked to scare defenses... look at reggie bush, he doesnt put up unreal numbers..