• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Draft Position

Just so it's clear, I'm not one of the people rooting for the Bills to lose so they get a better draft pick. I personally think that's abhorrent and that people should be rooting more for Nix and co. to draft the best player wherever we pick.

That being said, I know a lot of discussion has occurred regarding draft position, so I though I'd start this thread and keep it going for the last 4 weeks to monitor where we are in the draft and where we could be.

I actually don't mind drafting early (possibly getting a stud on one side of the ball), or somewhat later ( 7-10 range, better value for linemen, especially OL, at that range). However, this thread is mainly for people who want to draft in a high spot (whether or not you want the Bills to win or lose).

Hopefully this will be an informative thread.

Now, let's delve into the numbers, shall we?

Current draft position:
    1. Carolina Panthers (1-11), SOS = 0.5833
    2. Detroit Lions (2-10), SOS = 0.5677
    3. Cincinnati Bengals (2-10), SOS = 0.5729
    4. Buffalo Bills (2-10), SOS = 0.58854
    5. Arizona Cardinals (3-9), SOS = 0.47396
    6. Denver Broncos (3-9), SOS = 0.5156
    7. San Francisco 49ers (4-8), SOS = 0.5104
    8. Dallas Cowboys (4-8), SOS = 0.526

That's as far as I got. As you can see, we're actually not that far behind Carolina, Detroit, and Cincinnati in terms of SOS. In case people are curious how many actual games we're behind those teams in SOS, here's a quick breakdown:

Carolina's opponents' current record: 112-80
    Detroit's opponents' current record:109-83
    Cincinnati's opponents' current record:110-82
    Buffalo's opponents' current record:113-79

As you can see, we're all within a few games, and we're only one game behind Carolina. We're still right in the mix for the #2, and possibly even the #1 overall pick.

I started trying to calculate maximum and minimum possible SOS's for each team, but with the interplay between teams' schedules, it got too complicated. However, I can list who we want to root for each week.

Obviously, if you want to draft as high as possible, you want to root for each team on this list. There are actually 4 games remaining in the season that pit two teams from this list against each other. They are:

Arizona @ Carolina
    Dallas @ Arizona
    Arizona @ San Francisco
    Denver @ Arizona

As you can see, Arizona plays a huge role in the draft position here at the top, and there are a guaranteed 4 wins to be added to those teams. If Buffalo does not win any more games, best case scenario in my mind is Carolina beating Arizona, Arizona then beating Dallas and/or San Fran, then Denver beating the Cardinals.

In terms of Carolina winning one more game...there's a distinct, though somewhat slim, possibility. Obviously Arizona is going to hell in a handbasket, so there's a chance Carolina wins that game. Also, the Panthers play Pittsburgh and Atlanta as their final two games. If both of those teams have created enough separation in their division races, there's again a chance that they'll rest their starters. Not sure that even then the Panthers could win, though.

So anyway, here is a list of teams we want to root against in order to help reduce our SOS:

1. Always root against division opponents - this takes priority over everyone else on here
    2. Against AFC North and NFC North teams, as well as KC, Jax

Now note that some of these may seem to conflict with wanting other teams' SOS to increase. For example, if the AFC North teams lose, that actually helps Cincinnati's SOS more than it helps ours. That being said, we're looking to simply drop our SOS, period, mainly because we're looking at more than just one team, we're looking at the Lions and possibly Panthers too. So the best thing to do for now is hope that our SOS drops, even if it helps another team's SOS more. Thus, I'd personally say that rooting for our SOS to decrease takes priority.

Here's the teams we want to root for in order to hurt everyone else's SOS:
    Carolina: NFC South, NFC West, NYG
    Detroit: NFC North, NFC East, StL, TB
    Cincinnati: AFC North, NFC South, SD, Ind

I'd mention Arizona, Denver, San Fran and Dallas' non-common opponents as well, but their SOS's are low enough at this point that I'm not sure how feasible it is for our SOS to decrease lower than theirs.

Anyway, hope that was an insightful breakdown, and I'm sorry for the extremely long post. I'll try to keep on top of this as the season progresses. I'll also go through the games for each week and pick out what I believe to be the best teams to root for or against.

Tonight, root for Indianapolis (hurts Cincinnati).
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Draft Position

I'm not worried about it. I have complete confidence in the FO's ability to botch the draft pick from any draft position.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

great breakdown, though.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

Good job.

Here is the thing that concerns me when I looked at it. Bills still play NE and NYJ. That is going to increase their SOS considerably. I've accepted that the 4th is probably the best. Carolina will no doubt have the #1 so to me draft 2nd or 4th makes no difference.

D & S Sports

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          great breakdown, though.
          Did you decide not to hijack the thread with one of your "the Bills suck" rants?

Comment

• hydro
            • Oct 2005

Great post! Looks like you put a lot of work into it and it wasn't hard to follow either.
            BERNIAC!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Well done!

Clearly that advanced degree is paying off!
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

i don't know if there is anything other to say to the original post. just print it out as a reminder really.

I'm reallly just responding to bump this so other read it.

Comment

• Mindbender
                  • Apr 2010

Nice post!
                  "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• Dr. Taylor Zaius
                    Senior Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Andrew Luck needs to be a Buffalo Bill.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Taylor Zaius
                      Andrew Luck needs to be a Buffalo Bill.
                      and like I said in another thread- I need world peace and a winning lotto ticket. But that's not gonna happen either.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by RockStar36
                        Good job.

Here is the thing that concerns me when I looked at it. Bills still play NE and NYJ. That is going to increase their SOS considerably. I've accepted that the 4th is probably the best. Carolina will no doubt have the #1 so to me draft 2nd or 4th makes no difference.
                        We also play Miami. It is concerning that we play all of our division rivals (which will hurt our SOS considerably if we lose all 3). However, remember that most every other team on that list is also playing divisional opponents at the end of the year:

Carolina: plays Atlanta twice
                        Detroit: plays GB and Minnesota
                        Cincinnati: plays Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Baltimore

So you can see that if all of us lose to our divisional opponents, it does hurt us more than Carolina and Detroit, but the same as Cincinnati. I'm hoping (wish I could have run the numbers on possible SOS's) that Carolina and Detroit's previous opponents will win enough to alter their SOS's.

I was actually surprised at how close the SOS numbers were, and I think we're close enough that each week can make a big difference.
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          Well done!

Clearly that advanced degree is paying off!
                          I sure hope that calculating SOS doesn't require an advanced degree. Though considering the state of math nowadays...wouldn't be terribly surprised.
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            I'm not worried about it. I have complete confidence in the FO's ability to botch the draft pick from any draft position.
                            In that case...you want us to win, win, win, and you want to do the opposite of what I suggest. Because I'm sure you'd rather pay a busted pick a $20 million contract instead of a $50 million one.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                              I sure hope that calculating SOS doesn't require an advanced degree. Though considering the state of math nowadays...wouldn't be terribly surprised.

He lives in Georgia.
                              Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X