PDA

View Full Version : Build the Ideal Contender Part I

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 06:03 AM
With the season creeping to an end and the countless off-season fixes already underway, I wanted to post an idea to each of you so that we can gain some perspective on philosophy. Assume that you are building this team from scratch. There are no players on it. Don't think of names on the current roster... that will sway you in the wrong direction for this little exercise. How would the ideal (meaning optimal but realistic as well) team look? How do you view success in the NFL? Where should the talent be? Without putting out a Pro Bowl team, what do you think is the best formula for success? Here's my take:

QB - Must be above average at least, especially in the ability to lead a team. Top 5 in that category and top 10 in physical ability.
RB - Key is variety. Have a back for every situation - between the tackles, catching the ball, blocking. Need to be able to have guys who can do all three, but don't need to be Pro Bowlers.
WR - Average is fine. One deep threat would be ideal, but the key is to have solid route runners who can catch the ball at a high level.
*Between RB and WR, you should have one guy who is top 10 at his position. That's all I really think you need if you take care of everything else.
TE - One blocking tight end, one pass catching tight end. Once again, average is fine.
OL - Need to be top 15 at every position, top 10 at the tackles (top 5 if possible). Take care of this and everything else will run smoothly.

What's your take?

X-Era
12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
With the season creeping to an end and the countless off-season fixes already underway, I wanted to post an idea to each of you so that we can gain some perspective on philosophy. Assume that you are building this team from scratch. There are no players on it. Don't think of names on the current roster... that will sway you in the wrong direction for this little exercise. How would the ideal (meaning optimal but realistic as well) team look? How do you view success in the NFL? Where should the talent be? Without putting out a Pro Bowl team, what do you think is the best formula for success? Here's my take:

QB - Must be above average at least, especially in the ability to lead a team. Top 5 in that category and top 10 in physical ability.- Needs to be able to read defenses efficiently, and go through progressions. Needs to get the ball out before 3 seconds after the snap. Should be able to keep the chains moving but doesn't have to be able to strike quick. Should show good throw placement, putting the ball away from the defenders. Should be able to check down but should look to the primary and secondary options first. Should not stare down receivers.
RB - Key is variety. Have a back for every situation - between the tackles, catching the ball, blocking. Need to be able to have guys who can do all three, but don't need to be Pro Bowlers.- Need a back that can handle the up the middle duties and can be counted on for 4 yards per carry. Needs to be rugged and able to take a beating. At least one of the backs should have soft hands and be a threat in the open field.
WR - Average is fine. One deep threat would be ideal, but the key is to have solid route runners who can catch the ball at a high level.- Should have at least one option that requires attention... possibly a double-team. But then we should also have another solid receiver who has good hands, can run solid routes, and who can fight for the ball. We cannot rely on just one respectable option.
*Between RB and WR, you should have one guy who is top 10 at his position. That's all I really think you need if you take care of everything else.
TE - One blocking tight end, one pass catching tight end. Once again, average is fine.- Should have a receiving option with speed that's comparable to or better than a LB. Should have good hands and an ability to run routes. Doesn't have to be stellar at breaking tackles, agility and athleticism would be more important. Should also have a blocking option but not someone who has no ability as a receiver. It should be someone who has solid hands but may not have ideal speed. Strength should be above average.
OL - Need to be top 15 at every position, top 10 at the tackles (top 5 if possible). Take care of this and everything else will run smoothly.- Simply add a guy who is solid in run blocking and has decent feet and solid technique in pass blocking at the RT position. In run blocking look for a guy who uses good leverage, has very good strength, and enough quickness to get to the second level. In pass blocking, find a guy who is able to kick slide and get deep enough to keep a defender from getting the edge. Strength should be good enough to absorb bull rushers without getting blown back. Should use a good base to prevent being thrown to the side. Athleticism and foot speed do not have to be elite, but the technique should be solid enough to be able to trust the person to block alone. If the choice is between a better run blocker than pass blocker, go with a guy that can run block better. LT, LG, C, and RG positions are fine as they are. Always be looking for better depth or guys that can push starters.

What's your take?See my notes in red.

billsfanryan
12-10-2010, 07:29 AM
my take is that this sounds like the giants team when they won the super bowl lol

k-oneputt
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM
qb
o-line to protect qb
defensive front seven to stop the run.
pass rushes to get to the qb

The rest you can fill in with average to below avg players. They are easy to find.
Of course the Bills have done the exact opposite for the last decade.

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
See my notes in red.
Very nice.

But once again, try and do this without thinking about who is here now. I wanted to see different philosophies on how to build a team. Having that conversation first makes talking about what we do with current personnel a little more logical.

Don't Panic
12-10-2010, 07:46 AM
my take is that this sounds like the giants team when they won the super bowl lol

It does now that you mention it. But, that is the goal, right?

elltrain22
12-10-2010, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=Don't Panic]

QB - Must be an accurate passer that is good at reading coverage. He also must be very cerebral, especially at the line of scrimmage. Must be able to check off potential play stuffs, and adjust on the fly to defense. Also, must be able to move around in the pocket, sense pressure, and remain tough in the pocket. A top 10 QB is a def' necessity; esp in today's NFL reliance on the passing game.
RB - Hits the hole fast & hard. Follows & sets up blocks well. Picks up blitzes well, and able to catch the ball out of the backfield.
WR - 1 dominant, possession WR. He is reliable, gets open against any defense, and has the ability to run after the catch. Legit deep threat, that can also create plays on screen passes. 1-2 other serviceable guys, who can stay healthy, and who can run good routes, block well, and stretch the field.
TE - Most good teams, have really good TE's. We need an elite TE, to keep opposing LB's honest, and also, to make our WR's jobs that much easier. The day we ever solve this problem, if the day our offense really takes off.
OL - Agree. Need to have top 15 at each position. Also need to be durable and not to be able to stay healthy over a 16-game season.

DL- Must have 1 legit pass rusher, and a good run stuffing NT
LB- Can cover a friggen TE, can tackle well, and sniff out the run quickly and efficiently. Must have a top 10 MLB'er, and good, not great OLB & ILB'ers. No Kelsays, Maybins, or any other junk we got!!
DB- 1 legit, top 10 shut down CB, a good nickle corner, and safety's that can make plays, and hit really hard

billsfanryan
12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
It does now that you mention it. But, that is the goal, right?

Sure is. I would love to have a team built like theirs. They had a lot of depth everywhere except receiver, and ironically it was one of those guys that made them win the game. If we had a d that could do what theirs did it would be amazing

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Get a real franchise QB, then proceed.:chug:

X-Era
12-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Very nice.

But once again, try and do this without thinking about who is here now. I wanted to see different philosophies on how to build a team. Having that conversation first makes talking about what we do with current personnel a little more logical.

I did. My attributes for my requirements would not change no matter who was on the team. The only place I mentioned the current team in on the OL. I can expound on the other positions as well when I get a chance.

ServoBillieves
12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
It is very simple: Start in the trenches and in the mind.

Sorry... that was STATED simply, it's apparently not as easy as thought.

I take the Mike Shanahan approach: If you build a strong offensive line, a 48 year old paraplegic can rush for 4.0 ypc. Make them fear the run, and the passing game will open up.

Defensively, if you can stop the run, and have a pass rusher with adequate corners and a ball-hawk type safety to just play center field, you can be decent in the first year.

So...

QB: A smart QB, doesn't matter about arm strength, just needs to be accurate and not make irrational decisions. Doesn't always check down.
HB: A dime a dozen and not a big deal. Just someone who doesn't cough up the ball and can find the holes.
FB: Again, dime a dozen. If you can put Shaun Smith behind the line and score a TD by bulldozing, a Dan Kreider can do the same.
WR: Julian Edleman, Stevie Johnson, Pierre Garcon, Paul Hubbard, Chansi Stuckey, Marques Colsten, Devin Aromashodu. What I'm trying to say, is late in the draft, you can find serviceable hands. You can also pick up some decent hands in FA.
TE: As stated before, someone who can catch and someone who can block. A Schouman hybrid would work well.
T: Priority #1. Give a smart quarterback time and he'll find an open receiver.
G: Get some push up front, and as stated before, just let your RB find a hole or just push forward for some yards.
C: Intelligence all the way. You can have mediocre strength and alligator arms and still be a great center (A.Q. Shipley).

DE/NT: In a 3-4, just some space eaters. Kyle Williams manhandles people, but a Troupe type player who can eat up space day 1 can suffice, with some strong run blockers on the outside.
ILB: Intelligence again. QB and ILB need to be the intelligent ones. Pespicacious, heady, clever, smart, sagacious, you freaking name it, if he can read reads, and not choose the wrong hole on runs (coughPozcough) he'll get the job done.
OLB: Rush the pass, stop the run.
CB: Just get some serviceable guys who know what they're doing.
S: One run stuffer and one ballhawk doesn't work with this team, so if you can get 2 hybrids, get 'em.