PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Cross the Moats

Beebe's Kid
12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Has anybody else heard his interviews since the Favre episode?

This guy is a character. He is not shy and mumbling, or just reading off of some scripts. He is colorful, funny, and has a real personality.

I am sure that this kind of thing isn't important to a lot of people, but I thought it was refreshing to have a defensive player with a little personality. When I hear the way he handled the interviews about Favre, I heard a guy that could be a leader on this D for a long time.

I am not saying the guy is our next Darryl Talley, but he has potential to be a player in the same mold. He sounds like the kind of player that is essential on a successful team.

Talley was on some really bad defenses, but when we put the other players around him, he was the unquestioned leader of the D during the glory days. The D was not the tops in the NFL, but it was very good for a long time.

It may end up not amounting to a whole lot, but when there is not an overabundance of bright spots, I'll take what I can get.

RockStar36
12-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see the on-field production before comparing him to Talley. One hit on Favre (while awesome), isn't nearly enough yet.

Lucky
12-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Moats is one of our few bright spots. Showing flashes of being great. Great late round pick.

hydro
12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Moats is one of our few bright spots. Showing flashes of being great. Great late round pick.

I am not sure where all of this talk is coming from on this board. He made one big hit and got some pressure on the QB. But I didn't see him do anything yet that says he was a great pick. Just like everyone making outrageous expectations for Byrd were disappointed with him this season, lets not build this guy up too early.

cpearl
12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Have you guys been watching him play the past couple games? He's all over the place. Getting pressure and always seeming to be around the ball or at/near the QB. The hit on Farve was great, but he also played VERY WELL in the Pittsburgh game. I don't think this post is far fetched. The poster is making a comparison to a young Talley in personality and ability. Again, at this time (compared with Talley's first year), the comparison is not a stretch.

psubills62
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I am not sure where all of this talk is coming from on this board. He made one big hit and got some pressure on the QB. But I didn't see him do anything yet that says he was a great pick. Just like everyone making outrageous expectations for Byrd were disappointed with him this season, lets not build this guy up too early.

It's not just the hit on Favre. Moats has gotten pressures in nearly every game. He's been far from unstoppable and a long way from being a great player, but he's done well for being a 6th round pick. He may regress next year, or he may develop into something special. From what I've seen, most OLB's/DE's take a year or so to develop.

HAMMER
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM

I have seen a lot of pressure from him lately, he is on the right track.

justasportsfan
12-10-2010, 10:56 AM
greatness? Not sure , but I do like what I see from a 6th rd pick. In other words, I think he'll be better than Ellison and Maybin.

hydro
12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
greatness? Not sure , but I do like what I see from a 6th rd pick. In other words, I think he'll be better than Ellison and Maybin.
That is basically his status at this point. I want to be able to compare a guy to one of our greats after he has made plays consistently for a couple seasons. The problem is we are so deprived of star players that we try to quickly make big expectations for a guy when we see just a slight glimpse of greatness in a short period of time.

justasportsfan
12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
He's only going to be the next Bryce Paup.

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Personally I like Moats & think he has a bright future.:awm:

hydro
12-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I just like the whole "Don't Cross the Moats" fad. I am pulling for him mostly so that it can live on!

Beebe's Kid
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see the on-field production before comparing him to Talley. One hit on Favre (while awesome), isn't nearly enough yet.

This would be why I said "I am not saying the guy is our next Darryl Talley, but he has potential to be a player in the same mold."

I was just excited to hear a guy with a personality...if you've heard the interview, the part where he makes the noise Favre made is great.

It will take more than a little pressure, and even the sacks that will eventually (hopefully) come, to ever draw a Talley comparison, but rather if we are going to have a guy that can fill that vocal, amped up, leader role on the D...they have to be amped up and vocal to start.

As far as his play, he is showing progress, but to get ready to act like he shouldn't be fighting for a position on this team? I am not there. I am simply glad to hear how he handled being on the Howard Simon Show...

Again, I realize that I am over-reacting a little bit here, but a good homer like myself if grasping for some good **** to grab onto...especially with this defense!

RockStar36
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I just like the whole "Don't Cross the Moats" fad. I am pulling for him mostly so that it can live on!

Did you hear that Vanek's slap shot is the only thing allowed to cross the Moats?

hydro
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Did you hear that Vanek's slap shot is the only thing allowed to cross the Moats?

Read that this morning :rofl:

madness
12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Have you guys been watching him play the past couple games? He's all over the place. Getting pressure and always seeming to be around the ball or at/near the QB. The hit on Farve was great, but he also played VERY WELL in the Pittsburgh game. I don't think this post is far fetched. The poster is making a comparison to a young Talley in personality and ability. Again, at this time (compared with Talley's first year), the comparison is not a stretch.

I did and while he did some nice things rushing the passer he's currently a huge liability defending the run. Until he improves in that area, he's a situational player who's stuck on the field due to our injury plagued depth.

zone
12-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Is there a link to the interview. I can not find it anywhere.

hydro
12-10-2010, 01:20 PM
http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/35871612/12-9-arthur-don-t-cross-the-moats-on-the-howard-simon-show.htm?pageid=28472

Beebe's Kid
12-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Missed the Howard show this morning... that's good stuff! Vanek has been on fire. He's going to need to spontaneously combust tomorrow night.

Thanks, hydro, for putting the link up.

Lucky
12-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Take a closer look. He's coming around. He was fantastic at James Madison University. Fast. Smart. I really am stoked about his future.

Mad Max
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I did and while he did some nice things rushing the passer he's currently a huge liability defending the run. Until he improves in that area, he's a situational player who's stuck on the field due to our injury plagued depth.

The entire defense is a huge liability when it comes to defending the run.

Also as others have mentioned it takes a little time for LB's to adjust....I remember Urlacher and Arrington both referred to as busts because of how bad they looked in the beginning.

Since we're 2-abyssmal this is the perfect season for OJT.

Beebe's Kid
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
The entire defense is a huge liability when it comes to defending the run.

Also as others have mentioned it takes a little time for LB's to adjust....I remember Urlacher and Arrington both referred to as busts because of how bad they looked in the beginning.

Since we're 2-abyssmal this is the perfect season for OJT.

2-abyssmal (sic)...first the Lombardi trophy, which was he perfect picture, now this... your stock is skyrocketing MM!!

Urlacher and Arrington were different cases....they didn't play in Buffalo. We are a team that has a long tradition of winning, and our draft history shows that if you don't produce immediately, we are liable to successfully replace you the following April. Our pride doesn't allow us to wait for you to "develop."

Besides, "development" isn't real. Whitner has never had 10 int, so he will never be a good SS... It is not like he will ever be any better than the day he was drafted. Same with Fitzy, once you are a backup, you are always a backup, it's not like there is even a remote chance that you pick things up, and make changes, which would cause improvement...that is double for people that went to community college, like Fitzy.

Goobylal
12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Hopefully Batten can return from his injury fully. He was turning a lot of heads in camp. The Bills need all the defensive help they can get.