PDA

View Full Version : Could Carolina fall in love with Cam Newton?

BidsJr
12-10-2010, 05:30 PM
This dudes draft stock is going to skyrocket in the next few months. My bet is that he challenges for the #1 pick.

Will be real interesting so see how it shakes out. I think he is a much better prospect than Vince Young was. His in the pocket game is much better at this point imho.

YardRat
12-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, especially if Newton has a dominant title game I doubt if Luck remains the lone unanimous no-brainer.

RoscoeMagic
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
This is like comparing Tebow to Sam Bradford.

Oaf
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
If he's all that good I don't mind taking him myself. :idunno:

Yasgur's Farm
12-10-2010, 06:03 PM
A couple months ago... Didn't someone write that the Bills top 2 QB prospects were Luck and Newton. At the time, Newton was thought of as a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Extremebillsfan247
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM
This dudes draft stock is going to skyrocket in the next few months. My bet is that he challenges for the #1 pick.

Will be real interesting so see how it shakes out. I think he is a much better prospect than Vince Young was. His in the pocket game is much better at this point imho.The only way Cam Newton gets picked before Luck is if Luck stays at Stanford.

BidsJr
12-10-2010, 06:26 PM

That is an ignorant comparison.

Scumbag College
12-10-2010, 07:05 PM
The more I see Newton play the more I like him and think he will make a good pro.

YardRat
12-10-2010, 07:23 PM

I don't agree. Newton looks more capable at this point in his career than Vick or Young did. The kid is playing himself into top-5 consideration.

Buffalo Thriller
12-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't agree. Newton looks more capable at this point in his career than Vick or Young did. The kid is playing himself into top-5 consideration.
I agree.
If he just smashes Oregon and shows some poise in the pocket, i wouldnt mind taking him.

Beebe's Kid
12-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Well...if he wins the Heisman, and is a QB that can run, there is no way he makes it in the pros.

Does Newton really only remind people of Vick and Young? I am sure the answer I get to that question will be Randall Cunningham... What I really mean is, in terms of how he throws the football, is he similar to any QB's that anybody can think of?

I will refine that a little more, and I mean anybody that has a shred of scouting cred and not one of the "shiny new toy QB" advocates.

Figster
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Well...if he wins the Heisman, and is a QB that can run, there is no way he makes it in the pros.

Does Newton really only remind people of Vick and Young? I am sure the answer I get to that question will be Randall Cunningham... What I really mean is, in terms of how he throws the football, is he similar to any QB's that anybody can think of?

I will refine that a little more, and I mean anybody that has a shred of scouting cred and not one of the "shiny new toy QB" advocates.

Cameron Newton is unique in my opinion, but If you had to compare him to someone, Randall Cunningham is a good comparison.

Newton appears to be more of a physical runner then Vick, Cunningham, or Young and If the Cam is as hard to handle/tackle as Big Ben with good accuracy throwing the ball, the skies the limits.

I could see a team going for Newton over Luck, especially If they have an inexperienced/ suspect O-line. We did a poll here in the zone a few weeks ago and Newton had approx. 17 % of the votes If I remember correctly which may not seem like much, but his stock has been steadily on the rise since then.

Myself personally, Andrew Luck looks to much like Peyton Manning ( the way he takes command of the offense) to take Newton over him, But I would be very excited/ happy If the Bills draft Cam Newton.

Ingtar33
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM

bingo... frankly... i would trust Tebow to run an offense more then i'd trust Newton

reasons?

Newton doesn't make any reads at the line
Newton doesn't look off his first target
Newton doesn't go through progressions.

-He's a more accurate thrower then Tebow was... has a better arm as well, but he's running an offense more basic and simple then many high school offenses right now. Newton isn't close to sophisticated enough to play in the pros at this time (Vick was a VASTLY superior college football player and ran a less basic offense at VT, use that as a point of comparison)

T-Long
12-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I think we all have to appreciate Newton's play this season, but Andrew Luck is a better all around QB, hands down. If Carolina wants a QB and Luck is there, they won't hesitate to pick him....unless, of course, a good ol' Southern boy puts in a call to the Panther War Room...

Ingtar33
12-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I think we all have to appreciate Newton's play this season, but Andrew Luck is a better all around QB, hands down. If Carolina wants a QB and Luck is there, they won't hesitate to pick him....unless, of course, a good ol' Southern boy puts in a call to the Panther War Room...

lol... not sure about that... but the raiders did take JaMarcus Russell no. 1 overall, and the Chargers did take Ryan Leaf 2nd overall, so it isn't that unreasonable an NFL team will commit team suicide and take Newton no.1

Figster
12-10-2010, 09:27 PM
bingo... frankly... i would trust Tebow to run an offense more then i'd trust Newton

reasons?

-He's a more accurate thrower then Tebow was... has a better arm as well, but he's running an offense more basic and simple then many high school offenses right now. Newton isn't close to sophisticated enough to play in the pros at this time (Vick was a VASTLY superior college football player and ran a less basic offense at VT, use that as a point of comparison)

Cam Newton would clearly be more of a longer term project before you could actually turn him into a pure passing QB, but Cams athletic abilities would/will probably help carry him early on much like Mike Vick.

Mr. Miyagi
12-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Culpepper?

Oaf
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
If Luck wasn't there, would you take Newton or take the "safe" pick with a non-QB?

Luisito23
12-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Newton all the way

Bangarang
12-10-2010, 11:45 PM

I'm not as much of a Newton fan as others but Newton has a much stronger arm and way better mechanics than Tebow.

RoscoeMagic
12-10-2010, 11:47 PM
That is an ignorant comparison.

Newton is no less of a project than Tebow. Luck is more polished than Bradford. If you think Newton is better than Luck, then that ignorance speaks for itself.

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 05:15 AM
The funny thing is if all true his father is the most brilliant guy on the planet.....

Get's $200,000 to make his son more famous then any other College athlete this year.......Next year he is a millionaire.....

In the last decade he is one of the most dominating players that I have seen in the NCAA........

The 3 are Tim Tebow, Vince Young, and Cam Newton.

Put all aside all the crap that goes along with scouting a QB the way he throws, the way he reads defenses.....If he has a great National Championship which I think it will be huge and Auburn wins..........CAM may be in the top 3......

Bills fans how does Cam Newton sound as a future Buffalo Bill.........just sayin????

YardRat
12-11-2010, 05:32 AM

Good point.

I thought so also in a couple of games earlier in the year, but it looked to me like he wasn't locking on and was surveying the field more against South Carolina.

Whether he is actually top pick material or not really isn't the subject of the thread...The kid is making enough noise that his stock could rise to that point and somebody will take a flier on him. If we end up around 4-5-6 in draft position, personally I hope they do because that'll just let one more player drop to us to choose from.

Night Train
12-11-2010, 06:26 AM
One thing is for sure... Newton WILL be the most scrutinized player during his pro day, prior to the draft. Plus the opinions on him will be all over the board, much like here.

He will be the 2011 poster child for the term " Boom or Bust ".

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
I hope so, I will be in the group that doesn't think this kid will amount to anything at the next level. Add that to the fact that he has only played one good season, I just don't like when players do that AKA Maybin. I would take Luck over Newton.

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 07:19 AM
I hope so, I will be in the group that doesn't think this kid will amount to anything at the next level. Add that to the fact that he has only played one good season, I just don't like when players do that AKA Maybin. I would take Luck over Newton.

Luck over Newton of course...
But to even mention his name with Maybin is ridiculous...
Newton did more in 1/2 season in the SEC then Aaron Maybin did his whole life...
The guy can play...

billsfanryan
12-11-2010, 08:09 AM
The funny thing is if all true his father is the most brilliant guy on the planet.....

Get's $200,000 to make his son more famous then any other College athlete this year.......Next year he is a millionaire.....

In the last decade he is one of the most dominating players that I have seen in the NCAA........

The 3 are Tim Tebow, Vince Young, and Cam Newton.

Put all aside all the crap that goes along with scouting a QB the way he throws, the way he reads defenses.....If he has a great National Championship which I think it will be huge and Auburn wins..........CAM may be in the top 3......

Bills fans how does Cam Newton sound as a future Buffalo Bill.........just sayin????

I agree with that. It also was a good deal for Auburn (assuming they actually paid him money). They pay 200k for a guy to come in, take them to the national championship and earn them millions. Who cares if it comes out in the future that he was ineligible? they take your national championship away, they don't take the money you made or the recruits you got because of it away...

On to the actual topic... I don't think i would mind if cam is in a bills uniform next year. To me it looks like he has the skill set that chan the man desires out of qb.

X-Era
12-11-2010, 08:18 AM

reasons?

-He's a more accurate thrower then Tebow was... has a better arm as well, but he's running an offense more basic and simple then many high school offenses right now. Newton isn't close to sophisticated enough to play in the pros at this time (Vick was a VASTLY superior college football player and ran a less basic offense at VT, use that as a point of comparison) I agree with your take. However, I watched him closely in a few games and he does do some amount of reads. I saw some progressions. Not at a level that I would feel he's proven himself in that area, but some.

I worry if he will resort to running too often. That can be a real problem with an athletic QB who can run well. They aren't forced to get comfortable in the pocket. They just run. Vick didn't become a top QB until he learned to be comfortable not running as much.

trapezeus
12-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Whatever the choice, I'm more comfortable with chan actually developing a qb vs jaurons plug and play with zero guidance.

Ed
12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Cam Newton would clearly be more of a longer term project before you could actually turn him into a pure passing QB, but Cams athletic abilities would/will probably help carry him early on much like Mike Vick.
If Cam Newton is really considered a long term project it seems like it would be pretty hard to justify giving him somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million guaranteed.

If he ends up being a top 3-5 pick he's going to have to be extremely dedicated to learning the pro game and doing it fairly quick. I don't think you can make that kind of investment and then sit someone for a couple years or try to bring them a long slowly.

Luisito23
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
He's the perfect QB for Chan's college offense...

better days
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
If Cam Newton is really considered a long term project it seems like it would be pretty hard to justify giving him somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million guaranteed.

If he ends up being a top 3-5 pick he's going to have to be extremely dedicated to learning the pro game and doing it fairly quick. I don't think you can make that kind of investment and then sit someone for a couple years or try to bring them a long slowly.

I doubt this years draft picks will see that kind of money. You will see a rookie cap in place before those picks are signed.

Ed
12-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I doubt this years draft picks will see that kind of money. You will see a rookie cap in place before those picks are signed.
I hope so. That would definitely be good timing for us, but I've read that even with a new deal we probably won't see a rookie cap until 2012.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Culpepper?

Akili Smith?

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Luck over Newton of course...
But to even mention his name with Maybin is ridiculous...
Newton did more in 1/2 season in the SEC then Aaron Maybin did his whole life...
The guy can play...

Well, mentioning Maybin isn't ridiculous (both one year wonders was the point).

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, mentioning Maybin isn't ridiculous (both one year wonders was the point).

He won the National Juniour College Football Championship last year. I'm not saying that proves anyone's point, but he's not a one year wonder. I seem to guess wrong about when any qb will be drafted or how they'll do in the pros, so I'll just shut my mouth and enjoy the ride.

BidsJr
12-11-2010, 03:04 PM

reasons?

Vick was a vastly superior college QB because as fast and electric as he is in the NFL he was 3X that in the ACC. I would argue that Cam Newton is much more polished as a college passer than Vick ever dreamed about being. Vick completed 54% of his passes the year he left college and Newton is pushing 70.

The whole Tebow comparison is laughable and being someone who claims to be plugged into NFL scouting makes it even funnier. If Tim Tebow had Cam Newton's throwing mechanics he would have been off the board in the top 5 picks last year.

Newton compares in my mind favorably to Big Ben coming out of school with maybe a bit more accuracy and maybe a bit more downfield mobility. Miami of Ohio offensive scheme wasn't the most complex either.

My #1 and #2 most important requirements for a QB are in the pocket mobility and the mentality to push the ball down the field. This guy has both.

I have no idea if he will be worth anything in the NFL, the character things are scary, the 1 year of production is scary, the cheating accusations at Florida are scary.

But I will say this. At some point there will be a transformative QB in the NFL that throws down the field like a Big Ben, can take off like a Vick and complete passes like a Rivers. Whether Newton can be that guy is only something Nix and Whaley can figure out.

better days
12-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Vick was a vastly superior college QB because as fast and electric as he is in the NFL he was 3X that in the ACC. I would argue that Cam Newton is much more polished as a college passer than Vick ever dreamed about being. Vick completed 54% of his passes the year he left college and Newton is pushing 70.

The whole Tebow comparison is laughable and being someone who claims to be plugged into NFL scouting makes it even funnier. If Tim Tebow had Cam Newton's throwing mechanics he would have been off the board in the top 5 picks last year.

Newton compares in my mind favorably to Big Ben coming out of school with maybe a bit more accuracy and maybe a bit more downfield mobility. Miami of Ohio offensive scheme wasn't the most complex either.

My #1 and #2 most important requirements for a QB are in the pocket mobility and the mentality to push the ball down the field. This guy has both.

I have no idea if he will be worth anything in the NFL, the character things are scary, the 1 year of production is scary, the cheating accusations at Florida are scary.

But I will say this. At some point there will be a transformative QB in the NFL that throws down the field like a Big Ben, can take off like a Vick and complete passes like a Rivers. Whether Newton can be that guy is only something Nix and Whaley can figure out.

Josh Freeman is that guy. I think he will have a much better career than Newton myself.

Ingtar33
12-11-2010, 03:39 PM

You made an interesting interpretation of my words. i didn't say anything about Tebow's mechanics and wrote in plain English that newton is the far better passer. I never said that Vick was a better passer, just that he was a better QB at the college level... comparing stats 10 years appart in different offenses, different teams, styles of play is insane in college football.

As for Ben, Ben was a far more polished passer in college then Newton.

better days
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
He won the National Juniour College Football Championship last year. I'm not saying that proves anyone's point, but he's not a one year wonder. I seem to guess wrong about when any qb will be drafted or how they'll do in the pros, so I'll just shut my mouth and enjoy the ride.

Well, teams win Championships, not players. That said, to compare JR College to Division I football is crazy. JR College can more be compared to a H.S. Championship than a Division I College, so yeah he is a one year wonder.

BidsJr
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
You made an interesting interpretation of my words. i didn't say anything about Tebow's mechanics and wrote in plain English that newton is the far better passer. I never said that Vick was a better passer, just that he was a better QB at the college level... comparing stats 10 years appart in different offenses, different teams, styles of play is insane in college football.

As for Ben, Ben was a far more polished passer in college then Newton.

My point was that the only thing precluding Tebow from being in the discussion for the top 5 was his mechanics and that Newtons are far superior.

Vick? Maybe he was a better college QB. He played in a weaker conference and still was an average passer at best. Sure he might be the best running QB of all time so if that is your measure of "better QB play", being a running back, then so be it.

Ben had 3 years as a starter to polish up. So yea he was more polished. My comparison to Ben had to do with his pocket mobility and down the field demenor when throwing the ball. They are similar imo in those respects.

BidsJr
12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Josh Freeman is that guy. I think he will have a much better career than Newton myself.

I think that Newton is a notch above Freeman.

Bangarang
12-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Doesn't Luck only have like half a season more of big time college experience than Newton?

better days
12-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I think that Newton is a notch above Freeman.

Well, even if Newton has more physical ability (not saying he does), Freeman has much better character than Newton. Freeman spent the entire offseason in Tampa working on his game, that is the reason he is having such a good year. I doubt Newton has the work ethic of Freeman.

Time will tell, but I think Freeman will have the better career myself.

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, teams win Championships, not players. That said, to compare JR College to Division I football is crazy. JR College can more be compared to a H.S. Championship than a Division I College, so yeah he is a one year wonder.

Haha, yeah he had nothing to do with that championship... I mean, he must've been a completely different player last year, as it was a whole 365 days ago. I wasn't comparing the 2, just saying he was successful last year, it's not like he was sitting the bench doing nothing.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Doesn't Luck only have like half a season more of big time college experience than Newton?

That would be more than one year.

better days
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Haha, yeah he had nothing to do with that championship... I mean, he must've been a completely different player last year, as it was a whole 365 days ago. I wasn't comparing the 2, just saying he was successful last year, it's not like he was sitting the bench doing nothing.

I'm not saying he did not play a part, maybe a big part in winning the Championship. My point is that it is closer to a H.S. Championship than a College championship. Therefore Newton is a one year wonder.

mightysimi
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I agree with that. It also was a good deal for Auburn (assuming they actually paid him money). They pay 200k for a guy to come in, take them to the national championship and earn them millions. Who cares if it comes out in the future that he was ineligible? they take your national championship away, they don't take the money you made or the recruits you got because of it away...

On to the actual topic... I don't think i would mind if cam is in a bills uniform next year. To me it looks like he has the skill set that chan the man desires out of qb.

Didn't they take away some scholarships from USC? That would be huge for the next crop of recruits.

better days
12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Didn't they take away some scholarships from USC? That would be huge for the next crop of recruits.

Yes they did, & it will affect that team for years.

YardRat
12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league

Carolina
Detroit
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Denver
Arizona

The Panthers surprise and take Newton.
Detroit Takes Peterson or Quinn.

That would leave Denver or Arizona the opportunity to leap frog Buffalo into Cinci's spot and snag Luck. If not, the Bengals take Green or Dareus.

Believe it or not, Luck could fall to 4, barring an outlandish trade up into the second or third spot from a team in the middle of the order or later.

Figster
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM

I wasn't however implying Cam Newton wouldn't have success early on in the NFL because in my opinion he will.

Newton is going to be hard to tackle like Big Ben and then throw in good speed/running skills for someone his size, a strong arm with good accuracy, and you have a very hard QB to defend.

Ben Roethlisberger makes a living off of broken plays and I believe Cameron Newton will do the same thing.

mrbojanglezs
12-11-2010, 10:44 PM

reasons?

teblow didn't do any of this either.........newton is a much better passer than tebow