PDA

View Full Version : I've got a gut feeling that Cam Newton could be a Bill

X-Era
12-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Just a suspicion, just a gut feeling.

A few things line up.

Newton runs the spread which is an offensive set we have used many times over the course of the season. We may actually like the concept of adding someone familiar with it.
He has a big arm which is something Nix has commented on before as something he looks for in a QB who will play in Buffalo.
Gailey has some familiarity with using athletic QB's. As the OC in Pitt in 97, he took Kordell Stewart and made him into a productive winner. The Steelers were the division champs and went to playoffs that year. I can see some similarities between Stewart and Newton. Though Newton throws the ball better.
He's a big name. He may get more hype than any other college player this year. For a rebuilding franchise who wants to become relevant, adding a big name may help that cause.
Gailey may be willing to take on a project who will need grooming since the Bills may feel they have a solid short term answer in Fitz.
Adding Newton gives us another weapon in some situations now. He could certainly be used very early inthe Wildcat which gives him time on the field in year one, and adds a new option to our offense as a run and pass threat.Now, while I have some concerns on him and want to watch a lot more games before making my final rank and projection for him, I will say I came away more impressed with him when I watched him a bit more closely. And, personally, I am not a fan of the athletic QB types who seem to either throw to the primary guy or run. But, the recent success of Vick has me wondering if I may be wrong in my stereotyping of this brand of QB. I think I can see now, that if properly molded, a QB can be solid in the both the pass game and as a running option.

I have to admit that the concept of Newton in a Bills uni is growing on me. And, I do not think it's out of the question that a team may take him top 10 or even 5. And at that point, Cam Newton enters the discussion for the Bills.

It may just be a gut feel, but I could see this happening.

Ginger Vitis
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
My gut tells me they draft Christian Ponder..(Hopefully in the 3rd Round and not the 2nd)

NOT THE DUDE...
12-11-2010, 09:36 AM
well one thing is for sure, there hasnt been a qb with that size, speed, arm, accuracy, agility, and smarts ever...

whats he 6'6 270 runs a 4.4

justasportsfan
12-11-2010, 09:48 AM
he could be a bill if he's the BPA. I doubt Nix reaches for him though.

Ingtar33
12-11-2010, 10:05 AM
god i hope not.

it will be really hard to be a fan of this football team if they toss away a top 5 pick like that. and on a crappy human being too (I'm sorry but i just don't like the stories I've heard, this guy makes Matt Leinart look like a hard working, team leading, stand up human being... and considering what a disaster Leinart has been it aught to terrify you)

it will be very hard to be a fan of this team.

mrbojanglezs
12-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I can see that, early reports said that nix was interested in luck and ponder

Buffalo Thriller
12-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I hope so.

Ginger Vitis
12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
(I'm sorry but i just don't like the stories I've heard,

Ingtar I would not ask you or expect you to give specifics. but have you heard more than? 1) Daddy shopping him and accepting money 2)cheating on exams at UF 3) stealing a laptop

bigbry
12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Really? Ralph spending money? on the Heisman Trophy winner?

Not gonna happen...just a gut feeling.

mayotm
12-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Really? Ralph spending money? on the Heisman Trophy winner?

Not gonna happen...just a gut feeling.Money has nothing to do with it. The Bills are going to have a top five pick. They are going to be giving somebody a ton of money.

mikemac2001
12-11-2010, 10:54 AM
weird thing is i am starting to feel the same

and its not a happy feeling i am unsure about him

i don't like the whole scandel at auburn but he does have talent but i would hate to use our first on him.

2nd i would be ok but i doubt he last at that point...i feel we should go D then focus on a Qb

IAG
12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Do it.

SABURZFAN
12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Just a suspicion, just a gut feeling.

A few things line up.

Newton runs the spread which is an offensive set we have used many times over the course of the season. We may actually like the concept of adding someone familiar with it.
He has a big arm which is something Nix has commented on before as something he looks for in a QB who will play in Buffalo.
Gailey has some familiarity with using athletic QB's. As the OC in Pitt in 97, he took Kordell Stewart and made him into a productive winner. The Steelers were the division champs and went to playoffs that year. I can see some similarities between Stewart and Newton. Though Newton throws the ball better.
He's a big name. He may get more hype than any other college player this year. For a rebuilding franchise who wants to become relevant, adding a big name may help that cause.
Gailey may be willing to take on a project who will need grooming since the Bills may feel they have a solid short term answer in Fitz.
Adding Newton gives us another weapon in some situations now. He could certainly be used very early inthe Wildcat which gives him time on the field in year one, and adds a new option to our offense as a run and pass threat.Now, while I have some concerns on him and want to watch a lot more games before making my final rank and projection for him, I will say I came away more impressed with him when I watched him a bit more closely. And, personally, I am not a fan of the athletic QB types who seem to either throw to the primary guy or run. But, the recent success of Vick has me wondering if I may be wrong in my stereotyping of this brand of QB. I think I can see now, that if properly molded, a QB can be solid in the both the pass game and as a running option.

I have to admit that the concept of Newton in a Bills uni is growing on me. And, I do not think it's out of the question that a team may take him top 10 or even 5. And at that point, Cam Newton enters the discussion for the Bills.

It may just be a gut feel, but I could see this happening.

then what? you change your username to Cam-Era or Newton-Era? that'll be another career you killed.

better days
12-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Ingtar I would not ask you or expect you to give specifics. but have you heard more than? 1) Daddy shopping him and accepting money 2)cheating on exams at UF 3) stealing a laptop

That isn't enough for you? I think the old adage applies here, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It is clear that Newton was raised in a house where morals & integrity are not valued.

I think Newton may be a person with the same values as Vince Young & Albert Hayensworth, a person only concerned about themself & not a team player.

Ginger Vitis
12-11-2010, 11:42 AM
That isn't enough for you? I think the old adage applies here, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It is clear that Newton was raised in a house where morals & integrity are not valued.

I think Newton may be a person with the same values as Vince Young & Albert Hayensworth, a person only concerned about themself & not a team player.

Those 3 things are enough for me.. I'd puke if the Bills took Newton with a Top 5 pick..

Ed
12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I was really intrigued by Newton earlier in the season, but all the scandal stuff kind of made me sour on him. The stuff about his Dad wanting to get paid doesn't really bother me because this seems to be a very common thing in college football and I don't think it automatically makes Cam a bad person, but if he has other character issues that would concern me. I definitely don't want anyone that is lazy or selfish. I'm not sure how I would feel about us drafting him, but it would certainly be the most interesting pick we could make.

If we're ever going to be a good team again it's going to be important that we be able to run the ball effectively in Nov-Jan. So maybe having a qb that can run the ball really well would add another dimension to our ground game.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2010, 12:02 PM
If we draft that guy we'll be stuck with another 3 years of mediocrity, Gailey getting fired, new staff in and discussing which franchise QB to take next.

Luisito23
12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I wish he had a record breaking bowl game, and Carolina takes him 1st.!!!

SaviorEdwards
12-11-2010, 12:46 PM
i've got the gut feeling our coach and gm aren't fond of black quarterbacks :coffee:

better days
12-11-2010, 12:54 PM
i've got the gut feeling our coach and gm aren't fond of black quarterbacks :coffee:

I don't know why you would think that. Because they are both Southern boys? Sounds like you are calling them racist for that reason alone which is just stupid.

X-Era
12-11-2010, 01:47 PM
then what? you change your username to Cam-Era or Newton-Era? that'll be another career you killed.It would be CamEra... that way if it doesn't pan out I can claim I'm a photographer.

Besides Sabz, my rule is that the QB has to get us to the playoffs to even be considered for the name. So if they have proven themselves, it might be hard to kill their career.

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2010, 02:10 PM
It would be CamEra... that way if it doesn't pan out I can claim I'm a photographer.

Besides Sabz, my rule is that the QB has to get us to the playoffs to even be considered for the name. So if they have proven themselves, it might be hard to kill their career.

FITZERA

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
My gut tells me they draft Christian Ponder..(Hopefully in the 3rd Round and not the 2nd)

OMG cause he had 1 GREAT game in his career this year???

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
It is growing on me..
Guy luvs to interact with the fans and he will sell some TIX.

To be honest I dont care if his father made $200,000 on his ass lets just win some games....

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Bring on a Black QB to B-LO, Cam would be fun in Buff....

X-Era
12-11-2010, 02:49 PM
OMG cause he had 1 GREAT game in his career this year???Seriously not a Ponder fan. He's this years version of Johnathan Crompton.

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Seriously not a Ponder fan. He's this years version of Johnathan Crompton.

Im with you..
I have no idea why anyone thinks he is a 3rd round pick..
The guy HAS done nothing as a College QB......
He will be playing Arena ball probably in a few years...

BillsFever21
12-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll pass on him. He has bust written all over him just like others of his type over the past decade.

Plus with the QB position you need a leader and somebody with character. I don't go with that assertion with any other positions but the QB is the guy everybody looks up to and leads the team by example and in the lockerroom. He doesn't seem like somebody who will work his tail off to become a great QB. He seems to have character issues and seems like the type that would mail it in once he gets his money.

Ginger Vitis
12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
OMG cause he had 1 GREAT game in his career this year???

1) Gailey recruited Ponder in college
2) Nix has friends at FSU
3) FSu runsa similar offense to what the Bills have done this year

I said I THINK the Bills will draft him...I never said I loved Ponder.. And being you're a UF homer you don't either.. Ironically his one great game this year was against your Gators..

Raptor
12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I dont, he's a one year wonder and Nix made it pretty clear he stays away from those in round 1

Ginger Vitis
12-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Guy luvs to interact with the fans and he will sell some TIX.

That would be priority number 15 on my list of attributes I want in a Franchise QB

Beebe's Kid
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't know how you go there from here. I would say that the fans definitely show that they wouldn't want a black QB. They'll get all riled up and hide behind some "scouting observation," bit they are all just armchair QB's and most seem to have huge issues with every black QB.

Nobody has even mentioned the issues that landed Newton at Auburn in he first place. Those are real character issues. The fact that his dad made some scratch on him, is on his dad. Claim what you will about his household, but you and I have not idea how he was raises. His dad is a preacher...can't think of manu professions that are "do as I say, not as I do." That is truth, even though I am sure somebody is going to tell me about their wonderul preacher.

I asked, in another thread, who this guy reminds people of other than Vick and Young...Cunnigham was the answer. A bit ironic, but I would take that. I wonder if he throws the ball like any white QB's. There is a whole lot more of them to choose from...or is he a lot like Doug Williams?

YardRat
12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I also would love to see Carolina grab him.

BillsFever21
12-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know how you go there from here. I would say that the fans definitely show that they wouldn't want a black QB. They'll get all riled up and hide behind some "scouting observation," bit they are all just armchair QB's and most seem to have huge issues with every black QB.

Nobody has even mentioned the issues that landed Newton at Auburn in he first place. Those are real character issues. The fact that his dad made some scratch on him, is on his dad. Claim what you will about his household, but you and I have not idea how he was raises. His dad is a preacher...can't think of manu professions that are "do as I say, not as I do." That is truth, even though I am sure somebody is going to tell me about their wonderul preacher.

I asked, in another thread, who this guy reminds people of other than Vick and Young...Cunnigham was the answer. A bit ironic, but I would take that. I wonder if he throws the ball like any white QB's. There is a whole lot more of them to choose from...or is he a lot like Doug Williams?

I don't buy that the fans wouldn't accept a black QB. Sure there might be small percentage but you will find that anywhere. Who the hell cares what color he is. We just want a winning QB and a winning team. If the QB was good it wouldn't matter if he was black, white or Osama Bin Laden's brother they would root for them.

BillsFever21
12-11-2010, 06:47 PM
You can't tell me Cam Newton didn't know about the payoff to go to Auburn. I don't buy it one bit that he didn't have any idea about it and it was all his father. Plus it's his choice to pick which school he wants to play at and not his father's.

You can't tell me he wasn't in on it or didn't have knowledge about it. All of a sudden your family has a bunch of money and you don't know about it.

I'm sure it happens with other players and many players take payoffs even if it's during their schooling. They just don't all get caught. It's the guys overall picture that scares people.

psubills62
12-11-2010, 06:56 PM
No thank you. I seriously, seriously doubt it happens.

BidsJr
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM

I replied in the other thread that he reminds me a bit of Big Ben with less experiance and better wheels.

So there you go.

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
1) Gailey recruited Ponder in college
2) Nix has friends at FSU
3) FSu runsa similar offense to what the Bills have done this year

I said I THINK the Bills will draft him...I never said I loved Ponder.. And being you're a UF homer you don't either.. Ironically his one great game this year was against your Gators..

Yes Fl homer but follow alot of College ball..
Yes his best game was vs FL this year.
If the Bills want him I think he will be there LATE in the draft.....
But overall Ponder is not a guy I want for the BILLS future.....
He will look good in Arena ball though....

tampabay25690
12-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I dont, he's a one year wonder and Nix made it pretty clear he stays away from those in round 1

A 1 year wonder just doesn't take over ALL OF COLLEGE BALL......sorry....
Like it or not the guy is special....

Figster
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I'll pass on him. He has bust written all over him just like others of his type over the past decade.

Plus with the QB position you need a leader and somebody with character. I don't go with that assertion with any other positions but the QB is the guy everybody looks up to and leads the team by example and in the lockerroom. He doesn't seem like somebody who will work his tail off to become a great QB. He seems to have character issues and seems like the type that would mail it in once he gets his money.

I've seen nothing in Cam Newton that makes me believe he would as you say, mail it in once he gets his money. This guy lives for the glory and the roar of his adoring fans as he carries his team to victory.

Everyone makes mistakes growing up, nobody's perfect. Learning a lesson from ones mistakes and moving forward in a positive manner builds good character.

I want a leader that leads my team to victory and he doesn't have to be a goody two shoes to fit the Bill in my book...

Bangarang
12-11-2010, 10:22 PM
But he's got such a pretty smile!

Figster
12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
But he's got such a pretty smile!

and an aura about him that suggests we are going to be seeing Cams poster boy smile for a long long time in the NFL.

Tom Brady meet Cam Newton...:mybills:

mrbojanglezs
12-11-2010, 10:42 PM
we could probably afford to take him because we have fitz, but taking a DT might be the smartest choice, but if they are not sold on any of them, I would be ok with newton

mikemac2001
12-11-2010, 10:55 PM
i have mix feelings about him

everytime i think of him being our QB i am like that would be exciting to watch and could be a good QB but i also feel he could just take his paycheck and slack, but he has shown to be a winner in jr college and sec this year.

i think overall it would be better to get our defense out of the bottom of the league and let chan develop the QB's we have for right now.

fitz aint great but his record as QB would be a lot better if the D wasn't trash

X-Era
12-11-2010, 11:00 PM
i have mix feelings about him

everytime i think of him being our QB i am like that would be exciting to watch and could be a good QB but i also feel he could just take his paycheck and slack, but he has shown to be a winner in jr college and sec this year.

i think overall it would be better to get our defense out of the bottom of the league and let chan develop the QB's we have for right now.

fitz aint great but his record as QB would be a lot better if the D wasn't trashSpending one draft pick on a QB doesn't mean we can't still address the defense.

Figster
12-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Spending one draft pick on a QB doesn't mean we can't still address the defense.

Especially considering Chan Gailey specializes in grooming QB's,

Play to our strengths and find Gailey a franchise signal caller ASAP,

better days
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I've seen nothing in Cam Newton that makes me believe he would as you say, mail it in once he gets his money. This guy lives for the glory and the roar of his adoring fans as he carries his team to victory.

Everyone makes mistakes growing up, nobody's perfect. Learning a lesson from ones mistakes and moving forward in a positive manner builds good character.

I want a leader that leads my team to victory and he doesn't have to be a goody two shoes to fit the Bill in my book...

I've seen nothing that proves Cam plays for the glory & cheers. It looks like he wants to play for the money & couldn't even wait until he turned pro for that. I see no evidence he has a passion for the game & will play with passion after he gets paid.

Well, what evidence do you have that he learns from his mistakes? History suggests he doesn't.

mikemac2001
12-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Spending one draft pick on a QB doesn't mean we can't still address the defense.

Didn't say we couldn't but I feel d is more important then offense right now and if we could stop people or getting more turnovers shorter fields the pressure wouldn't be on the o to score everytime

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2010, 01:29 AM
anyone who wants the bills to draft newton should be thrown in jail. if the bills draft fig newton i might punch myself in the face and break my nose.

B-DON
12-12-2010, 04:11 AM
I get the character issue worries but where are these passion and leadership flaws that ppl keep bringing up. The guy looks pumped and jacked up every game. I'm not buying them unless a coach, teammate, or even a scout for that matter has come out and said he lacks passion and leadership.

El Guapo
12-12-2010, 08:16 AM
The more I picture him in a Bills uni, the more it fits.
Newton is a monster

tampabay25690
12-12-2010, 09:04 AM
anyone who wants the bills to draft newton should be thrown in jail. if the bills draft fig newton i might punch myself in the face and break my nose.

Just curious why??

Billz_fan
12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
god i hope not.

it will be really hard to be a fan of this football team if they toss away a top 5 pick like that. and on a crappy human being too (I'm sorry but i just don't like the stories I've heard, this guy makes Matt Leinart look like a hard working, team leading, stand up human being... and considering what a disaster Leinart has been it aught to terrify you)

Im in agreement with you on this.

Figster
12-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I've seen nothing that proves Cam plays for the glory & cheers. It looks like he wants to play for the money & couldn't even wait until he turned pro for that. I see no evidence he has a passion for the game & will play with passion after he gets paid.

Well, what evidence do you have that he learns from his mistakes? History suggests he doesn't.
Cam literally ran around the whole stadium giving fans high fives after the game last Saturday. After a big play Cam stops to pick up a refs cap for him and in a brief show of compassion for his fellow man embraces the back of the refs head in his big hand then pats him on the buns as he races off, the guys undefeated and carries his football team to victory every week. Newton is the most valuable player in college bar none.

Cameron Newton loves competing in the game of football and anyone who can't see that is blind.

HAMMER
12-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Perfect, saves someone else the trouble.

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Just curious why??
it's been explained numerous times in this thread. i have no need to repeat others explanations.

personally, i think it's a joke with man love for this guy all of a sudden. only bills fans.

Figster
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
god i hope not.

It will be real hard to be a fan of this team If the Bills pass on a franchise QB and then wallow in mediocrity and misery for another decade as Cam Newton goes on to win championships. :rage:

Billz_fan
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Turn to ESPN, Mort is about to talk about Andrew Luck and I think he is gonna say he is not coming out.

Billz_fan
12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Mort just said sources say if Harbaugh stays at Stanford as coach then it is likely Luck will return to play college football next year.

He also mention the possibility that if Carolina picks #1 they may try and hire Harbaugh to there staff to bring in Luck.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Mort just said sources say if Harbaugh stays at Stanford as coach then it is likely Luck will return to play college football next year.

He also mention the possibility that if Carolina picks #1 they may try and hire Harbaugh to there staff to bring in Luck.I said the same thing weeks ago. Harbaugh is as good as gone IMO and if he leaves, Luck isn't likely to stay.

I still think they may be overstating the thought of Luck to the Panthers because of the lack of a viable vet.

mikemac2001
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

He also mention the possibility that if Carolina picks #1 they may try and hire Harbaugh to there staff to bring in Luck.

thats kinda a funny idea hire the college coach draft there qb with the top pick....

but the whole thing makes sense in a way what a better way to lure a coach by giving him his star college QB

overall i am over this #1 pick thing lets focus on D and let chan make the call on a QB and no if we draft newton in top 5 i will be pissed......once the season starts ill get more excited but overall

newton has talant but i don't think he was raised right, if you are going to sell your son to a school for a quick buck and put in jeporady his image for ever what other life lessons has he taught his son. obviously i don't personally know newton but parents due matter how your raised is the mold that forms you as a person

(not saying that you have to have great parents to be a great person)

lets go D and skip this dude but if chan loves him he will be our pick

Figster
12-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Perfect, saves someone else the trouble.

All I want for Christmas is HAMMERS avatar...

Dying_-2-_Live
12-12-2010, 10:47 AM
We will be trading back... watch!

Figster
12-12-2010, 10:49 AM
We will be trading back... watch!

The Bills could also trade their 1st pick for Kevin Kolb which would not hurt my feelings a bit.

We have already seen Kolb in action and the man can play in this league. ( and deserves to play)

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
The Bills could also trade their 1st pick for Kevin Kolb which would not hurt my feelings a bit.

We have already seen Kolb in action and the man can play in this league. ( and deserves to play)A QB will be in discussion if they pick 2-8. Newton and Mallett look to be the guys that will be in discussion.

Drafting a QB even if we aren't picking #1 is a distinct possibility.

better days
12-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Cam literally ran around the whole stadium giving fans high fives after the game last Saturday. After a big play Cam stops to pick up a refs cap for him and in a brief show of compassion for his fellow man embraces the back of the refs head in his big hand then pats him on the buns as he races off, the guys undefeated and carries his football team to victory every week. Newton is the most valuable player in college bar none.

Cameron Newton loves competing in the game of football and anyone who can't see that is blind.

He may be MVP in College, that does not mean he is going to be a good NFL QB.

There are serious concerns about his character & anyone who can't see that is blind.

Figster
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM

There are serious concerns about his character & anyone who can't see that is blind.

Myself personally, this character issue thing gets thrown around a lot and If you dig hard enough you could probably raise questions about practically everyone's character at some point in their life.

better days
12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Myself personally, this character issue thing gets thrown around a lot and If you dig hard enough you could probably raise questions about practically everyone's character at some point in their life.

Really? Dig hard at guys like Warrick Dunn & Tim Tebow & tell me what you find. There are many players in the NFL with that kind of character. Many people make a mistake or two in their lives but Newton has made some major ones we know about. How many did he get away with, that we don't know about?

If you think character means nothing in the NFL, you are wrong. Guys like Dan Marino & Warren Sapp Had their stock dropped & were drafted lower than they should have been just because of rumors.

Guys with bad character do not last long in the NFL either.

Figster
12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Really? Dig hard at guys like Warrick Dunn & Tim Tebow & tell me what you find. There are many players in the NFL with that kind of character. Many people make a mistake or two in their lives but Newton has made some major ones we know about. How many did he get away with, that we don't know about?

If you think character means nothing in the NFL, you are wrong. Guys like Dan Marino & Warren Sapp Had their stock dropped & were drafted lower than they should have been just because of rumors.

The only NFL team I know of that's 100% Saints from top to bottom comes from New Orleans...

Nighthawk
12-12-2010, 05:38 PM

We have already seen Kolb in action and the man can play in this league. ( and deserves to play)

Ummm, you do realize he isn't worth a 1st rounder...don't you?

Figster
12-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Ummm, you do realize he isn't worth a 1st rounder...don't you?

Seems like I remember reading Kevin Kolbs projected worth is 2 , 2s, I just figured a one might suffice/ be a worthy trade for the right team.

The way I see it any 1st round pick could be a bust ( other then Luck), but Kolb on the other hand is proven and has played very well so far when given the opportunity. Mike Vick's just been unstoppable/playing lights out

Thief
12-12-2010, 06:41 PM

There are serious concerns about his character & anyone who can't see that is blind.I didn't think you were the type of poster who would let the media form their opinion for them.

better days
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
The only NFL team I know of that's 100% Saints from top to bottom comes from New Orleans...

Nobody said everyone was a saint. Most people are not. Most people are also not arrested for stealing laptops & have been accused of cheating in school either.

better days
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I didn't think you were the type of poster who would let the media form their opinion for them.

The media has not formed my opinion, they just informed me of facts. I have formed my own opinion based on the facts as I know them. Living in Florida & being a Gator fan, I have heard about Newtons problems & read about them in the paper long before he went to Auburn.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
its really a high risk high reward pick(cam newton), qbs are such a crapshoot... u just dont know...

in reality the only other options would be

patrick peterson- not gonna happen
nick fairley- probably wont last past 5
marcell dareus- very real chance
dquan bowers- wont last past 5 but could be there
ryan kerrigan- could be the pick if bills pick 6,7,8 but i doubt it...
robert quinn- could blow up at the combine but i just dont think nix would be willing to take such a risk on a one year de, ala maybin, although quinn is in a whole different league(6'5 270) 4.5 speed...

ryan mallett?

cant really think of any other pick that would fit the bills...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
if i was the gm and evaluated the situation, i would think well lets resign merriman, get him healthy. moats looks like a real edge rusher, ala james harrison or something close to that...

kelsay and batten will play the sam, pierre woods will be 3rd string or we bring in a rookie later in the draft...

i would take nick fairley if he is there, marcell dareus would be my 2nd option, and then probably dquan bowers, although bowers, quinn, kerrigan could be the pick if merriman doesnt sign or cant get healthy by feb......

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 08:19 PM
the safest picks for who will probably be there are fairley, dareus, bowers, kerrigan...

dont be suprised if kerrigan is the pick!

X-Era
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
its really a high risk high reward pick(cam newton), qbs are such a crapshoot... u just dont know...

in reality the only other options would be

patrick peterson- not gonna happen
nick fairley- probably wont last past 5
marcell dareus- very real chance
dquan bowers- wont last past 5 but could be there
ryan kerrigan- could be the pick if bills pick 6,7,8 but i doubt it...
robert quinn- could blow up at the combine but i just dont think nix would be willing to take such a risk on a one year de, ala maybin, although quinn is in a whole different league(6'5 270) 4.5 speed...

ryan mallett?

cant really think of any other pick that would fit the bills...To be honest, I don't agree.

Peterson- We have no shutdown corner, McGee is getting up there and has been injured too much. McKelvin hasn't stepped up as much as anyone would like, and Florence is a FA. It's not a top priority, but a case can be made.

Fairley- Is not a top 5 pick IMO, and is probably better suited to play in a 4-3 as a DT. Id like to see a bit more athleticism as a rush DE in our 3-4, and I do question intensity at times with him.

Dareus may not be picked in the top 5, and again may be best suited to play in a 4-3. For Fairley and Dareus, they may be able to be 5 technique DE's but it's probably not as natural a fit.

Bowers- may not last past 3 and we could be picking below 3. He's a real possibility. Doesn't have the 6' 5" tp 6' 6" height that may be ideal but he's got a thick lower body and is listed at 280 and 6' 4" so it may be adequate. He is a real possibility.

Kerrigan- I don't see top 10 pick in him. I just don't. His size doesn't fit for a 5 technique and he doesn't look to have ideal athleticism to play as a 3-4 OLB. He seems best suited to play DE in a 4-3. I like him as a player, but not in the top 10.

Quinn- Interesting upside but the year off may hurt his stock enough to bump him down to 10 or later. It's a possibility but we would have to be convinced he can get right back on the field and pickup where he left off. Again, he's a guy who would have to fit as a 3-4 OLB at 254. It's possible.

Green- In the spread that we like to run, having playmaker with Johnson and Evans could be deadly. Top need? I don;t think so. But Evans is getting older and has had a down year and Johnson has had dropped passes often enough to cause some concern. It's unlikely I think, but possible.

And the we have two QB's that could be in the mix.

Mallett- has gotten better and better this year by improving his poise and decision making to go with his arm. I do worry a bit about how teams will view his maturity and character, but I have no proof that it's an issue. I expect we will hear more in the off-season. But on the field, I think he has reached top 10 consideration.

Newton- It's been covered. His hype is very high and getting higher. I think he will further impress at the combine or in workouts where he can show his measurables. I can't say how teams will feel about his character and the off the field stuff... we will just have to see. But for all the reasons that have been discussed recently, he is at this point, in the mix.

So, yes, DL looks to be a real possibility on draft day. But I think it's far from the only one and may not even be the best option when the Bills pick depending on how the feel each player could fit into our system and what were trying to do. I can see us going a whole host of routes.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM

dude go spread your christian bs somewhere else, seriously...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
To be honest, I don't agree.

Peterson- We have no shutdown corner, McGee is getting up there and has been injured too much. McKelvin hasn't stepped up as much as anyone would like, and Florence is a FA. It's not a top priority, but a case can be made.

Fairley- Is not a top 5 pick IMO, and is probably better suited to play in a 4-3 as a DT. Id like to see a bit more athleticism as a rush DE in our 3-4, and I do question intensity at times with him.

Dareus may not be picked in the top 5, and again may be best suited to play in a 4-3. For Fairley and Dareus, they may be able to be 5 technique DE's but it's probably not as natural a fit.

Bowers- may not last past 3 and we could be picking below 3. He's a real possibility. Doesn't have the 6' 5" tp 6' 6" height that may be ideal but he's got a thick lower body and is listed at 280 and 6' 4" so it may be adequate. He is a real possibility.

Kerrigan- I don't see top 10 pick in him. I just don't. His size doesn't fit for a 5 technique and he doesn't look to have ideal athleticism to play as a 3-4 OLB. He seems best suited to play DE in a 4-3. I like him as a player, but not in the top 10.

Quinn- Interesting upside but the year off may hurt his stock enough to bump him down to 10 or later. It's a possibility but we would have to be convinced he can get right back on the field and pickup where he left off. Again, he's a guy who would have to fit as a 3-4 OLB at 254. It's possible.

Green- In the spread that we like to run, having playmaker with Johnson and Evans could be deadly. Top need? I don;t think so. But Evans is getting older and has had a down year and Johnson has had dropped passes often enough to cause some concern. It's unlikely I think, but possible.

And the we have two QB's that could be in the mix.

Mallett- has gotten better and better this year by improving his poise and decision making to go with his arm. I do worry a bit about how teams will view his maturity and character, but I have no proof that it's an issue. I expect we will hear more in the off-season. But on the field, I think he has reached top 10 consideration.

Newton- It's been covered. His hype is very high and getting higher. I think he will further impress at the combine or in workouts where he can show his measurables. I can't say how teams will feel about his character and the off the field stuff... we will just have to see. But for all the reasons that have been discussed recently, he is at this point, in the mix.

So, yes, DL looks to be a real possibility on draft day. But I think it's far from the only one and may not even be the best option when the Bills pick depending on how the feel each player could fit into our system and what were trying to do. I can see us going a whole host of routes.

dude we are not taking a cb... shutdown cbs are a thing of the past, with the rules now, spread offenses, its just not that important, you just need solid cbs who can make some plays... thats it... that rules out peterson if nix is smart.

fairley does fit the 43 dt better but lets be honets, he can 2gap on run downs... whats important is he can dominate as a pass rusher, and on 2nd and long, 3rd and long he will be rushing the passer not 2gaping... so he could be the pick as could dareus, dareus plays 34de 5tech at bama and some 43dt...

bowers will be a top 3 pick, he wont be there most likely, but would be a great pick...

so realistically its

1-fairley
2-dareus
3-quinn
4-kerrigan or qb pick......
5-suprise qb pick......

NOT THE DUDE...
12-12-2010, 10:09 PM
quinn is risky but if he blows up at the combine it might not be that bad of a pick....

better days
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM

dude your post is bs, seriously. There was nothing Christian or bs in my post.

X-Era
12-13-2010, 06:01 AM
dude we are not taking a cb... shutdown cbs are a thing of the past, with the rules now, spread offenses, its just not that important, you just need solid cbs who can make some plays... thats it... that rules out peterson if nix is smart.

fairley does fit the 43 dt better but lets be honets, he can 2gap on run downs... whats important is he can dominate as a pass rusher, and on 2nd and long, 3rd and long he will be rushing the passer not 2gaping... so he could be the pick as could dareus, dareus plays 34de 5tech at bama and some 43dt...

bowers will be a top 3 pick, he wont be there most likely, but would be a great pick...

so realistically its

1-fairley
2-dareus
3-quinn
4-kerrigan or qb pick......
5-suprise qb pick......My problem with this is that you list who you want the Bills to take in order, not who ranks the highest and still fills a need in order, IMO.

I think it's more like this, assuming Luck, Green, and Peterson are taken:

1) Bowers
2) Dareus
3) Newton
4) Mallett
5) Quinn
6) Fairley

Figster
12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
dude your post is bs, seriously. There was nothing Christian or bs in my post.

Questioning the character of someone who would play a leadership role on a football team you care about is understandable. Often times the character of the team is a reflection of its leaders and one of the main reasons the Buffalo Bills are turning into a tough, never say die football team...Chan Gailey tough.

Myself personally, I look back on my own life and while I would like to think I turned out well, there was a time early on in my life when I did things for the thrill or dare of it. Nothing I'm proud of by any means, but I'm not going to lie about it now and I'm not going to prejudge someone else for the few mistakes they may have made while growing up.

I can't say for sure whats in Cam Newtons heart, but he comes across as a very energetic, compassionate and caring individual.

HAMMER
12-13-2010, 12:09 PM

WTF are you talking about? His post never brought religion into it, what are you insinuating? Being a good person is not exclusive to Christianity, it is something that everyone should strive for regardless of religion. Your ignorance is evident.

better days
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Questioning the character of someone who would play a leadership role on a football team you care about is understandable. Often times the character of the team is a reflection of its leaders and one of the main reasons the Buffalo Bills are turning into a tough, never say die football team...Chan Gailey tough.

Myself personally, I look back on my own life and while I would like to think I turned out well, there was a time early on in my life when I did things for the thrill or dare of it. Nothing I'm proud of by any means, but I'm not going to lie about it now and I'm not going to prejudge someone else for the few mistakes they may have made while growing up.

I can't say for sure whats in Cam Newtons heart, but he comes across as a very energetic, compassionate and caring individual.

Well, it is not your job to judge Newton, nor mine. It is however the job of every front office in the NFL, & you can bet they will question his character & judge him accordingly.

As I said before, Marino & Sapp are just 2 guys I can think of that were drafted lower than they should have been because of RUMORS about their character.

There are well known facts about Newtons lack of character & I would be surprised if he does not fall in the draft because of his character.

Figster
12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, it is not your job to judge Newton, nor mine. It is however the job of every front office in the NFL, & you can bet they will question his character & judge him accordingly.

As I said before, Marino & Sapp are just 2 guys I can think of that were drafted lower than they should have been because of RUMORS about their character.

There are well known facts about Newtons lack of character & I would be surprised if he does not fall in the draft because of his character.

You make my point for me better days,

Dan Marino and Warren Sapp also went on to have long and respectful careers and are still highly respected to this day.

Cam Newtons body of work on the playing field speaks for itself, the guys doing things that have never been done before. Does he have some growing up to do? Of course he does, but lets give our HC Chan Gailey a little credit in having the ability to steer this young fella in the right direction.

Chan Gailey could work magic with Cam Newton...the names even sound good together...

better days
12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
You make my point for me better days,

Dan Marino and Warren Sapp also went on to have long and respectful careers and are still highly respected to this day.

Cam Newtons body of work on the playing field speaks for itself, the guys doing things that have never been done before. Does he have some growing up to do? Of course he does, but lets give our HC Chan Gailey a little credit in having the ability to steer this young fella in the right direction.

Chan Gailey could work magic with Cam Newton...the names even sound good together...

Both of those guys put in the effort & had the talent to have long successful careers. To extrapolate from the fact they had character issues & were successful therefore another player with character issues will be successful is faulty logic.

Figster
12-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Both of those guys put in the effort & had the talent to have long successful careers. To extrapolate from the fact they had character issues & were successful therefore another player with character issues will be successful is faulty logic.

What you could extrapolate though is athletes are human and prone to make the same mistakes as you or I might have made growing up,

the difference is high profile players like Cam Newton make headlines and everything they say or do is scrutinized and well documented.

Figster
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
WTF are you talking about? His post never brought religion into it, what are you insinuating? Being a good person is not exclusive to Christianity, it is something that everyone should strive for regardless of religion. Your ignorance is evident.

I'm thanking you for your avatar...

I may have had a little to do with the Saints being brought into it.

better days
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
What you could extrapolate though is athletes are human and prone to make the same mistakes as you or I might have made growing up,

the difference is high profile players like Cam Newton make headlines and everything they say or do is scrutinized and well documented.

Newton could become a good NFL QB or he could suck, only time will tell. I would not mind gambling a 3rd rnd pick on him but I would not risk a 1st.