PDA

View Full Version : 1 reason Buffalo shouldn't get a dome

YardRat
12-12-2010, 06:56 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3377088#post3377088

The game, originally scheduled to kick off at noon CT on Sunday, was postponed on the recommendation of Metrodome officials after the Minneapolis-St. Paul area remained under a winter storm warning, with more than 16 inches of snow reported at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport by 9 p.m. CT on Saturday evening.
Stadium officials there turned up the heat inside the dome to 95 degrees Saturday afternoon, hoping to hasten the snow removal efforts. But the plan failed.

SquishDaFish
12-12-2010, 07:35 AM
No football team should have a dome. Game was made to be played in the weather

DMBcrew36
12-12-2010, 07:39 AM
It's about accomodating the big money. A lot of people don't want to sit in the cold/elements, and won't pay to do so.

scartown
12-12-2010, 07:39 AM
The roof has collapsed

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/12/12/metrodome-roof-collapses/

Wonder where the game will be played now.

YardRat
12-12-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=892684&catid=391

There's a short video to the right.

Dr. Lecter
12-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Thou shall not play football in a dome.......

Night Train
12-12-2010, 08:39 AM
The roof has collapsed

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/12/12/metrodome-roof-collapses/

Wonder where the game will be played now.

" L.A. would like to welcome our new Viking football squad ! "

X-Era
12-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Personally Id like a retractable dome. Not for football but for winter events to bring in additional money... Maybe even to bring back the Braves.

Anyone know what the rules are for deciding whether the dome stays open or closed and when you have to let the opposing team know?

If I were Ralph and the Fins were headed here in bad weather, I would leave that baby open.

Dujek
12-12-2010, 08:53 AM

The very first thing I thought was, "That's the Vikings one step closer to LA"

X-Era
12-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Found them:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6757520_nfl-open-closed-roof-stadiums.html

90 minutes before the game. The requirement is that the team has decide by then. In Buffalo this could be a competitive advantage.

Jan Reimers
12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately, this might provide momentum to the folks trying to get a new stadium in the Twin Cities.

Beebe's Kid
12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Personally Id like a retractable dome. Not for football but for winter events to bring in additional money... Maybe even to bring back the Braves.

Anyone know what the rules are for deciding whether the dome stays open or closed and when you have to let the opposing team know?

If I were Ralph and the Fins were headed here in bad weather, I would leave that baby open.
The problem with that is the 800 million dollar building is then filled with snow.

A retractable roof would never be left open to let the weather in.

Football outside is just how it should be.

I love how everything is supposed to be designed to attract the "big money." Meanwhile, the unwashed masses like myself keep spending a ton of money on a game that keeps trying to drive home how unimportant we are.

The biggest issue about a new stadium, for me, is PSL's. I am have a fundamental opposition to the whole idea. I'd almost undoubtedly do it, but it is ****ing ridiculous. I am all for a little love to the Ralph, and let's go another 20 years there. If they build some domed Mecca, I would like to see how long it takes for those of us that toto every game, to feel out of place. Football in Buffalo at 70 degrees in December?? No thanks.

Billz_fan
12-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Yeah but wouldn't it be adding extra cost for a dome that has drainage for melting snow and rain ?

Edit: Just saw Beebe's reply he beat me to it :laughter:

X-Era
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
The problem with that is the 800 million dollar building is then filled with snow.

A retractable roof would never be left open to let the weather in.

Football outside is just how it should be.

I love how everything is supposed to be designed to attract the "big money." Meanwhile, the unwashed masses like myself keep spending a ton of money on a game that keeps trying to drive home how unimportant we are.

The biggest issue about a new stadium, for me, is PSL's. I am have a fundamental opposition to the whole idea. I'd almost undoubtedly do it, but it is ****ing ridiculous. I am all for a little love to the Ralph, and let's go another 20 years there. If they build some domed Mecca, I would like to see how long it takes for those of us that toto every game, to feel out of place. Football in Buffalo at 70 degrees in December?? No thanks.So an outdoor facility cant be made retractable by just adding a roof? I mean the current stadium can handle snow but a new one couldn't?

YardRat
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM

This area can't handle two professional teams anymore let alone adding a third back into the mix. Barring any massive economic boom, we're lucky to hang on to what we've got.

Goobylal
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
The Metrodome was built some 30 years ago. Major advances (in dome technology) surely have happened in that time. To have a stadium that can be used at-best a dozen or so times for half the year (fall/winter) is ridiculous. There should have been a dome from the beginning, and ideally a retractable one, but that technology probably didn't exist back then. And yes, the retractable roof would be opened for games if the weather was good.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-12-2010, 04:59 PM
The Metrodome was built some 30 years ago. Major advances (in dome technology) surely have happened in that time. To have a stadium that can be used at-best a dozen or so times for half the year (fall/winter) is ridiculous. There should have been a dome from the beginning, and ideally a retractable one, but that technology probably didn't exist back then. And yes, the retractable roof would be opened for games if the weather was good.
And it should've been built in Lancaster instead of Orchard Park.

It's amazing that stadium has been as successful as it has been so far even with all the flaws. Then again, this is the same team that spent its first 13 years in a stadium so decrepit that it made the LA Coliseum look state-of-the-art.

Novacane
12-12-2010, 05:23 PM
It's not just big money. A lot of regular people like me don't like going to games in ****ty weather. I can not enjoy the game when I'm freezing my ass off. A game like today would not have been played before a half empty stadium if we had a dome.

Nighthawk
12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
One reason why the Bills should get a dome...it will help keep the team in Buffalo!

G Wolly
12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
My main concern is, why were Fox cameras running overnight on the night the roof collapses?

CONSPIRACY!!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think I will be moving to Minnesota anytime soon, bridges falling, domes crashing, what the?

YardRat
12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
My main concern is, why were Fox cameras running overnight on the night the roof collapses?

CONSPIRACY!!!!

I overheard Brett Favre talking to his insurance company and saying something similar to 'Pull it'. Of course, with Brett, that could be referring to something else entirely.

G Wolly
12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I overheard Brett Favre talking to his insurance company and saying something similar to 'Pull it'. Of course, with Brett, that could be referring to something else entirely.

Childress did it.

PromoTheRobot
12-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I do think if we had a dome more people would attend late season games. Ever notice how hard its is to sell out our last three games each year? That's partly the weather.

PTR

Dujek
12-13-2010, 08:41 AM
I do think if we had a dome more people would attend late season games. Ever notice how hard its is to sell out our last three games each year? That's partly the weather.

PTR

Mainly to do with sucking ass though.

trapezeus
12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
i don't mind sitting out in the cold in an entertaining game. the last couple years, the bills are so awful, sitting in 50 degree weather to watch them barely do anything is a lot to ask for.

when they actually make plays, the adreline, the camraderie, the cheering warms you up.

when you sit out during the bills jets game (it wasn't even that cold) and you just sit there and there is nothing to say, nothing to do....it sucks.

HAMMER
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone that lets a little weather keep them at home is a pansy.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone that lets a little weather keep them at home is a pansy.

It's not the sitting in the weather that's the issue, it's the attempt at driving home afterwards. I've done plenty of terrible road conditions drives in my life and don't really enjoy them. Add to that tons of other people attempting to make the same craptastic drive home and not all of them sober.

Not my idea of a safe and fun time.

Mr. Miyagi
12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
The Metrodome is a soft top dome, which is dumb. If we get a dome in Buffalo we'll build a hard retractable roof.

Miller Park for the Milwaukee Brewers is a really nice dome, in an area that gets some pretty hard winters too.

http://www.virtualbirdseye.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/miller-park-birds-eye-view.jpg

G Wolly
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.virtualbirdseye.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/miller-park-birds-eye-view.jpg

I'm clicking, but it won't pan & zoom :(

SaviorEdwards
12-13-2010, 04:47 PM
im surprised it hasn't happened to the carrier dome in syracuse

Extremebillsfan247
12-14-2010, 02:14 PM

CONSPIRACY!!!!and... so it begins. :skooby:..... lol

HAMMER
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
It's not the sitting in the weather that's the issue, it's the attempt at driving home afterwards. I've done plenty of terrible road conditions drives in my life and don't really enjoy them. Add to that tons of other people attempting to make the same craptastic drive home and not all of them sober.

Not my idea of a safe and fun time.

I can see your point if you live hours away.

EricStratton
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
im surprised it hasn't happened to the carrier dome in syracuse

That's because Syracuse knew what they were doing when they built the thing.

That city proves soft-top domes can work if maintained properly.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Out of curiosity, and as an Upstate NYer, are there any long-term plans for what to do w/ the Ralph? Either by improving it, or building a new stadium? I know much of the talk is more on how to simply keep the Bills in Upstate NY, but has this topic even been brought up?

I go there nearly every year for the Dolphins game, and I think it's still a great place to watch the game. But it is starting to get old, and it's starting to look it a bit on the outside at least. My wife - who complains about such things - made a big deal out of it earlier this year. I hadn't thought much about it until she said something, but now I can't stop thinking about it when I think of the Ralph.

Maybe it's time to at least start throwing things out there? Sure, our state economy is on the brink of bankruptcy, and the thought of public money right now is laughable, but things presumably won't always be this bad. Can't hurt to start thinking about it.

And if/when they do, please keep it an open air venue. Sure, it sucks for me when I have to sit through a snow storm watching my Dolphins, but so be it. The game's in Buffalo afterall. Will be funny to see the Vikings playing outside this weekend in unGODly cold weather!!

I may hate the Bills, but as an Upstate NYer, I don't want them to move to L.A., or even Toronto. That's why I'm bringing this up.

Even an overhaul of the Ralph would be nice, even if you have to play a season in Syracuse or something (like the Bears did in Illinois when they did their revamp).

Figster
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Myself personally, I believe a Dome stadium with a retractable roof near the Falls would benefit the whole region in many ways. A new Dome stadium would be very beneficial for the fans and athletes from a comfort and health aspect which in turn will end up boosting our FA signings. More money can be generated from a Dome stadium and by building the stadium closer to Canada, it will increase our Canadian/high clientele fan base. A Dome stadium can also be used all season long for multiple activities, not to mention the millions of dollars pumped into the area If a Superbowl was held in the new Dome stadium.

When two football teams meet and go head to head lets allow the athletes on the football field decide the outcome and not the poor weather conditions. Why not give the athletes and fans a playing/ viewing atmosphere that's both comfortable and safer then an out door arena. (more family oriented)