PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN: Andrew Luck will return to school if...

DraftBoy
12-12-2010, 10:56 AM
his coach Jim Harbaugh stays on as coach. This is something I feared with the CBA uncertainty. If Luck doesnt declare we could see a rather low turnout of top level juniors.

No link as of yet.

Buddo
12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
his coach Jim Harbaugh stays on as coach. This is something I feared with the CBA uncertainty. If Luck doesnt declare we could see a rather low turnout of top level juniors.

No link as of yet.

TBH, I think next year's FA could be as important as the draft. There will be an awful lot of guys available, who ended up as RFAs when the previous CBA was cancelled.

I also am unconvinced that the Bills will be in a position to draft Luck regardless.

I think there's still a long way to go yet,but in respect of kids declaring early, they obviously need to get a clearer idea of what will be happening regarding any possible rookie wage caps.
My gut feeling is that if a new CBA is put into place, this year will see the last of the obscene rookie deals. In which case, Luck may feel 'forced' to enter, irrespective of what Harbaugh does.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:03 AM

No link as of yet.It was posted in the other thread.

I think Harbaugh is as good as gone and I think Luck will almost certainly declare because of it. I think it's better than 60% that this happens.

mrbojanglezs
12-12-2010, 11:09 AM
if this is true than Im happy we won't have the first pick

DraftBoy
12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
It was posted in the other thread.

I think Harbaugh is as good as gone and I think Luck will almost certainly declare because of it. I think it's better than 60% that this happens.

To where though? Harbaugh has apparently made it clear he isnt leaving Stanford for anything but a pro job. Denver may come calling, but Im not sold on that.

Buddo
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
To where though? Harbaugh has apparently made it clear he isnt leaving Stanford for anything but a pro job. Denver may come calling, but Im not sold on that.

There's 'talk' of Carolina, which could be attractive to him, as they might also have the #1 pick, and he can re-unite himself with Luck under those circumstances.

While there has been lots of talk that the job that Cowher is waiting for, is the Panthers one, he's also very close to the people who own the Giants, and that may be the job he's after ultimately.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:23 AM
To where though? Harbaugh has apparently made it clear he isnt leaving Stanford for anything but a pro job. Denver may come calling, but Im not sold on that.I haven't heard that. I think if Mich opens up he will take it. And, he's the top college guy in the HC search. Teams will come his way, I have no doubt.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Here's Herbs take on it:

http://detnews.com/article/20101124/SPORTS0201/11240409/Kirk-Herbstreit--If-Michigan-makes-move--Jim-Harbaugh-is-the-guy

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I think we both agree though that the Harbaugh situation is the key to whether Luck comes out or not.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I think Andrew, for the sake of his own career and development (both mental and physical), should stay one more year regardless.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I think Andrew, for the sake of his own career and development (both mental and physical), should stay one more year regardless.I'm not sure he would benefit that much from going back under a whole new HC and new offensive scheme. The Pac 10 is not a weak conference. He may do it for his degree, but he may be on track to finish early anyways.

BidsJr
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
If there is any question that this will be the last uncapped rookie season you can bet the farm that Luck will be coming out. No matter what Harbaugh does, no matter how much he likes school, no matter how much he likes Engineering. He will never be able to make up the 30 million he will lose by being the first #1 pick under a rookie cap.

YardRat
12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
If this drags on too much longer (and I mean by the end of this month when I say that) there will have to be some kind of agreement regarding this year's draft and it will probably consist of no rookie cap for this year's draft. Declaration day is January 14th, I believe, so to be fair to this season's crop of underclassmen they'll have to have some kind of certainty for the draft.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
If this drags on too much longer (and I mean by the end of this month when I say that) there will have to be some kind of agreement regarding this year's draft and it will probably consist of no rookie cap for this year's draft. Declaration day is January 14th, I believe, so to be fair to this season's crop of underclassmen they'll have to have some kind of certainty for the draft.Pretty sure it's the 15th. The other date to look at is March 1st. End of the current CBA and the start of free agency. That means these guys have to decide way before the CBA ends and FA starts. That also means teams will know who's there well before they have to decide what to go after in FA vs. the draft.

YardRat
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I was just going by this...

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_eac7fa4c-fd6d-11df-b51b-001cc4c002e0.html

Ingtar33
12-12-2010, 12:10 PM

I don't think Harbaugh is interested in any pro job except for san fran... furthermore, though san fran's job will be open this off season, i don't think he'll leave Stanford with the chance of a lockout coming up.

With Luck 1 more year he might win a national championship. College coaching jobs are pretty much for life if you win enough (pro coaching jobs aren't close to that stable)

I don't see where his motivation to go pro would come from... other then to win a superbowl, and he won't do that with San Fran's QBs...

DraftBoy
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think Harbaugh is interested in any pro job except for san fran... furthermore, though san fran's job will be open this off season, i don't think he'll leave Stanford with the chance of a lockout coming up.

With Luck 1 more year he might win a national championship. College coaching jobs are pretty much for life if you win enough (pro coaching jobs aren't close to that stable)

I don't see where his motivation to go pro would come from... other then to win a superbowl, and he won't do that with San Fran's QBs...

Which makes even further sense to as to why Harbaugh and Luck would stay.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Db and Ing, lets make a friendly wager on Harbaugh leaving.

Ingtar33
12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Db and Ing, lets make a friendly wager on Harbaugh leaving.

I'm not sure i'll do that... the San Fran job will be open this off season. As long as that job is available there is a chance he'll go to the pros.

I'll bet on him not going anywhere except for san fran/oakland however.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure i'll do that... the San Fran job will be open this off season. As long as that job is available there is a chance he'll go to the pros.

I'll bet on him not going anywhere except for san fran/oakland however.Then you have to take Harbaugh leaving and only going to SF or Oak. I'd take that bet. Means you lose if he stays or goes somewhere else.

tampabay25690
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Denver is where I think but what about Carolina then Luck just joins him????

X-Era
12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
If this is true from Luck, he won't be graduating early:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/12/11/stanford-football-luck-talks-nfl-draft/

"Luck, an architectural design major, said he is 1.5 years from graduating and is planning to take 19 units next quarter."

Ingtar33
12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Then you have to take Harbaugh leaving and only going to SF or Oak. I'd take that bet. Means you lose if he stays or goes somewhere else.

no... i have Harbaugh staying, only leaving to Oak and SF...

That said... it looks like Luck won't enter this draft.

MikeInRoch
12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
I wonder what this means for all the idiots rooting for the Bills to lose so we can draft him?

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I wonder what this means for all the idiots rooting for the Bills to lose so we can draft him?

Pfffft, who cares what those guys think...

X-Era
12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I wonder what this means for all the idiots rooting for the Bills to lose so we can draft him?Pretty strong language, at least you don't get nasty over an opinion on a fan board.

MikeInRoch
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even idiots. :D

X-Era
12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even idiots. :D Wonder how you will feel when you hear all the talk of Mallett or Newton since we are likely out of the top pick.

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Wonder how you will feel when you hear all the talk of Mallett or Newton since we are likely out of the top pick.

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot about positions other than QB with our 1st pick in the draft.

MikeInRoch
12-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I will feel great when Newton isn't on our team because he is going to be a bust.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I will feel great when Newton isn't on our team because he is going to be a bust.I hope for you, you're right.

X-Era
12-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot about positions other than QB with our 1st pick in the draft.On a 3 win team? Absolutely.

TigerJ
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I've been expecting right along that the CBA talks are going to have a huge impact on underclassman in the draft, including Luck. It's a no brainer really. Of course if the talks hit an impass and there's no season next year, the underclassmen in the draft is pretty much a non-issue anyway.

DraftBoy
12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
I've been expecting right along that the CBA talks are going to have a huge impact on underclassman in the draft, including Luck. It's a no brainer really. Of course if the talks hit an impass and there's no season next year, the underclassmen in the draft is pretty much a non-issue anyway.

Season or no season, there will be a draft.

TigerJ
12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Season or no season, there will be a draft.Absolutely, but if there is no season, teams won't miss the underclassmen who choose not to enter the draft for fear of a lockout.

better days
12-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Absolutely, but if there is no season, teams won't miss the underclassmen who choose not to enter the draft for fear of a lockout.

True, but if underclassmen do not enter the draft, it will affect the way the draft plays out.

I think some may not come out, but I would expect others to come out even if there is no new CBA before the draft.

There will be NFL football in 2011, both the owners & players have too much to lose if they shut it down for the year.

jamze132
12-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Who really gives a crap if he enters the draft? We aren't picking #1 or #2 so it's a moot point for the Bills.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Trading up and down were always options...

TigerJ
12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Who really gives a crap if he enters the draft? We aren't picking #1 or #2 so it's a moot point for the Bills.If Luck doesn't enter the draft it will affect who the Bills pick even if the Bills never even planned to take him. The unavailabillity of a player for the draft affects when other players are picked. Of course, we'll get all that sorted out after the deadline for declaring.

Mike13
12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Denver is where I think but what about Carolina then Luck just joins him????

I wouldnt mind him in Miami.

Extremebillsfan247
12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
It was posted in the other thread.

I think Harbaugh is as good as gone and I think Luck will almost certainly declare because of it. I think it's better than 60% that this happens.It's better than a 90% chance that we have no shot at getting him at all , so why even bring it up?

X-Era
12-14-2010, 05:47 AM
It's better than a 90% chance that we have no shot at getting him at all , so why even bring it up?It's interesting.

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 07:23 AM
It's better than a 90% chance that we have no shot at getting him at all , so why even bring it up?

because if he declares we have a lock at #1 pick, and that means we know who will be available and adjust accordingly, if he is not declared the #1 pick could go 3 or 4 different directions which means we can't feel certain about anything.

jamze132
12-14-2010, 08:11 AM
If Luck doesn't enter the draft it will affect who the Bills pick even if the Bills never even planned to take him. The unavailabillity of a player for the draft affects when other players are picked. Of course, we'll get all that sorted out after the deadline for declaring.
I understand that, but some folks on here are still hoping we can somehow get the #1 draft pick.

Extremebillsfan247
12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
because if he declares we have a lock at #1 pick, and that means we know who will be available and adjust accordingly, if he is not declared the #1 pick could go 3 or 4 different directions which means we can't feel certain about anything.If we somehow manage to beat Miami Sunday, we move from the 5th pick overall where we stand now, to the 7th. That pretty much takes us out of the franchise QB picture for next draft. At that point, even if Luck did come out, chances are pretty good that both he and Newton will be gone before the 7th pick even gets on the clock. I have a feeling there are going to be quite a few upset Bills fans roaming this board on draft day. JMO

don137
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
If Luck declares then two things could happen. One, Luck will be taken ahead of the Bills draft slot so there will be one more player available in the pool at the Bills pick and two, with no second round pick maybe the Panthers would want to trade out of that slot for a first, second and a player.

Extremebillsfan247
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
If Luck declares then two things could happen. One, Luck will be taken ahead of the Bills draft slot so there will be one more player available in the pool at the Bills pick and two, with no second round pick maybe the Panthers would want to trade out of that slot for a first, second and a player.If your thinking here is that the Bills could trade up, it isn't going to happen. Nix doesn't like giving up draft picks. On a side note, if we did fall to the 7th overall pick, that would put at least 4 teams out of the 6 ahead of us who could all go QB with their first selection depending on the QB that's available, just something to think about.

Ingtar33
01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
man... i hunted this thread down thinking i was owed something... only to realize it was just a friendly bet.

doesn't change the fact i was right; both about Luck and Harbaugh

X-Era
01-07-2011, 04:37 PM
man... i hunted this thread down thinking i was owed something... only to realize it was just a friendly bet.

doesn't change the fact i was right; both about Luck and HarbaughYou were right. :bow:

Ingtar33
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
it's alright... i have friends who are friends with that situation and sorta was cheating; Harbaugh's children are in school in san fran, and he loves his home there... he did not want to leave.

He never had any intention to go to Miami or Denver, he only was using them to bump up the 49'ers and Stanford's offers.