PDA

View Full Version : What Winning these games can do for us

DesertFox24
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Look I know all you guys want the early draft pick so you can get that sure fire stud, but I am on the other side. I want us to keep winning so we can get a lower pick and potentially trade down.

No one trades into the top 5, all of the trades happen around the 6 to 10 range (just look at the past drafts for proof).

With guys like Cam Newton and Mallett, whom I am not fans of for us we will have plenty of chances to trade down.

I would love for us to trade down to the mid teens and pick up a guy like Derek Sherrod, Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Gabe Camiri, Costanzo, Cameron Heyward, Von Miller, Akim Ayers, or Julio Jones.

We would get an extra second and probably a 6th, which is what we need.

Also I would love drafting Sherrod, Camiri, or Costanzo and putting him at RT. I know he plays LT for Miss State but they are a run option team and I think he could become an All Pro RT.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Ugh... no no no no!!! I hate that 6-10 position and I hate trading down even worse! Maybe I sound like I'm having a temper tantrum but the best NFL-ready players are almost always in the top 5.

dasaybz
12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
No way I want to trade down. Unless we get an incredible deal that involves first round picks for multiple years.

DesertFox24
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys for making my point....

I could literally spend all day going through drafts and pointing out how picks 11 through 20 are better pros than 1 though 10, and as a whole.

Why is it that a top 10 player is the only way to make a team good.

dasaybz
12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Go ahead and let us know how much better those players are.

ddaryl
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
we need a bonafide day 1 starter Defensive front 7 player...

If we can trade back and grab 2 great, but if there is a player sitting there that can be a disruptive force we have to take that player.

our biggest weakness is D front 7

RoscoeMagic
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
You guys act like we're gonna beat the Patriots :rofl:

DesertFox24
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Go ahead and let us know how much better those players are.

Ok just for starters

Clay Matthews better than Maybin, and Orakpo
Reed is better than every player drafted ahead of him
Rodgers better than every play drafted ahead of him
Oher and Wood better than the other OL drafted ahead of both of them
DRC is better than McKelvin
Chris Johnson better than every other player drafted ahead of him

I listed 7 guys without any research.

Off the top of my hat without much research I can think of 3 guys better in the top 5 than the rest of the draft and they came Suh, Bradford, and Calvin Johnson.

So in other words, yes I think trading down and getting more picks is a much better option for a team that needs A LOT of talent not just one player.

Go ahead though and think one defensive player even if he is a stud will make this defense a top 10 defense.

RoscoeMagic
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Ok just for starters

Off the top of my hat without much research I can think of 3 guys better in the top 5 than the rest of the draft and they came Suh, Bradford, and Calvin Johnson.

So in other words, yes I think trading down and getting more picks is a much better option for a team that needs A LOT of talent not just one player.

Go ahead though and think one defensive player even if he is a stud will make this defense a top 10 defense.
The people who want to lose are the same who harp about how we blew the Maybin pick and should have taken Orakpo or [insert player]. The fact is we have to draft well no matter what the slot we're in. Anyone who doesn't see this is being a hypocrite. Stevie Johnson was found in round 7. People act like these guys are gonna be studs when they have no idea. We just have to draft well regardless of position. To be honest, if we blow a top 5 pick this April, there will be even more whiners about we should have taken someone else who was taken later. There are good players in every round, we just have to find them. I'm all for winning as well, just don't think it'll happen.

There's a reason the smart teams (Eagles, Patriots) always trade back and stock picks and the same teams (Lions, Browns, Bills, Raiders) are drafting near the top every year.

dasaybz
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok just for starters

Was last year your first year of watching football?

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
What we need is a real QB *****:monkeyp: :bedard: :tobykeith

dasaybz
12-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't know, I think Fitz is a real QB. He's not Brady or anything, but he'll most likely end up with 25 TDs and 3000 yards .... I'll take those numbers.

YardRat
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Trading down is hard...I want the best blue-chipper on the board, almost regardless of position, wherever we end up.

DesertFox24
12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Was last year your first year of watching football?

Roscoe could not have said it any better. We have gotten more production from a 6th round pick in two games than Maybin has giving in 2 years.

Also like I said we need to increase the talent of this roster and that means getting more players.

Also whats to say a guy like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan will not be as productive as Bowers or Dareus. In fact Jordan and Watt have better prototypical size anyway.

Maybe you should actually watch college football instead of just spouting off Kiperisms.

THRILLHO
12-14-2010, 08:13 AM
When discussing drafts/ mock drafts, trading down should not be an option. It is just such an easy solution that rarely happens. I cannot even think of the last time we did it in the first round.

DesertFox24
12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
When discussing drafts/ mock drafts, trading down should not be an option. It is just such an easy solution that rarely happens. I cannot even think of the last time we did it in the first round.

What I said is the more wins we get the lower the position in the draft we are the more realistic a trade down option becomes. I then pointed out that actually trading down would not be a bad move because the true value in this draft is in the teens anyway.

The difference between players 1 through 5 and 11 through 15 is minimal.

THRILLHO
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
What I said is the more wins we get the lower the position in the draft we are the more realistic a trade down option becomes. I then pointed out that actually trading down would not be a bad move because the true value in this draft is in the teens anyway.

The difference between players 1 through 5 and 11 through 15 is minimal.

Yep, I saw that. Just expressing my frustration for many mock drafts to come when 1/2 will be a trade down situation.

Stewie
12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
of COURSE it's better to draft later. I want to draft #32 ever year!!!!!!!

That's the motherfreeking goal of drafting! and playing! to draft LAST!! DUH!

What is wrong with people who want to lose? I really don't get it?