X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dasaybz
    • Apr 2005

I have a hard time believing ...

that the Bills take a QB with their first pick and toss a boat load of money at him and basically shove Fitz out the door. You can't draft a QB at 5, pay him the money that the #5 pick gets, and then turn around and extend Fitz, so if you want to draft a QB, you could probably kiss Fitz goodbye in a year or two.

Plus, Chan endorsed him a couple of weeks ago and he is playing decent enough that we can take D with our first pick. So I highly highly doubt that we will take a QB unless somehow we get Luck.

• madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: I have a hard time believing ...

Nix = BPA

Comment

• dasaybz
      • Apr 2005

I agree, but I don't think he's going to blindly do it. You need to take BPA and still be conscious of your teams needs.

Comment

• THRILLHO
        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
        • Feb 2009

Yeah, we need a stud DL, Suh style.
        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

I totally agree with BPA... And BPA may be Luck or Newton. But, they can ride the pine for a year or even 2... Just like Rivers and Rogers.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by dasaybz
            that the Bills take a QB with their first pick and toss a boat load of money at him and basically shove Fitz out the door. You can't draft a QB at 5, pay him the money that the #5 pick gets, and then turn around and extend Fitz, so if you want to draft a QB, you could probably kiss Fitz goodbye in a year or two.

Plus, Chan endorsed him a couple of weeks ago and he is playing decent enough that we can take D with our first pick. So I highly highly doubt that we will take a QB unless somehow we get Luck.
            I agree. Fitz's success means we are no longer desperate at QB, and do not have to reach for one in the draft. We need defensive help much more, and can now concentrate there in the draft.

I'm not convinced Fitz is the long term answer, but he gives us the luxury of concentrating on other needs, taking a project QB to work behind him, or waiting another year or two until we find our franchise guy.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Where we'll be picking, Luck is the only one who would be a possibility for Nix, imo. Mallett may jump near the top as the draft process continues, but I just don't see him being a fit for what Gailey and co. are putting together. I believe they'll go with BPA in the first round, then DL, OL, LB the rest of the draft, except grab a QB in the middle rounds.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

They can (and probably will) take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and let him develop behind Fitz for a year or 2. What Fitz lacks in physical ability, he makes up for in brains, which would be huge for a young QB learning the NFL game.

D & S Sports

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

if the lockout occurs and harbaugh stays, luck is staying in school. at that point newton is the first QB selected. what spot is that projected at?

I think defense is more important right now. and OL depth. The bills can't shake this injury bug at all these days.

Comment

• dasaybz
                    • Apr 2005

I would really hate taking a QB in the 2nd round. Which 2nd round QB is out there that will project to being a better pro than Fitz? I think we need to use all of our picks on fixing the other areas of the team, and then if it doesn't work out at QB next year, address it then. We have too many holes on this team to have guys just sitting on the bench that were drafted in the 2nd round.

Comment

• elltrain22
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by THRILLHO
                      Yeah, we need a stud DL, Suh style.
                      At where we will probably be picking, we will a nice selection of guys that def' fit that description. Bowers, Fairley, and/or Quinn would all be welcome additions to our defense.
                      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Wait...

You mean there are actually people that think we are going to extend Fitz and pay him solid starting QB $$ ????

Seriously ???

Up until recently, he was the most overpaid backup in the NFL with roughly a 2.9 mil yearly salary.

I love his grit and having him on the team but I refuse to put the blinders on to his shortcomings and drink the Kool-Aid.

Quit settling. The Bills have won 3 freakin' games.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• dasaybz
                          • Apr 2005

I don't know if I want to give him starting QB money just yet, but I'm also not ready to just be done with him either. It's a thin line to walk.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                            • Jul 2005

The guy has a contract with us for two more years. As far as I am concerned I do not mind taking a QB in rounds 2 or later if the right guy is there, and letting him develop behind Fitz.

The one thing that a lot of people are ignoring though is the bills draft Brown and were very high on him at the time. He clearly needs to develop but he is very similar to fitz in terms of gun slinger and mobility. They could see how he develops this offseason and how Fitz plays in 2011.

Comment

• dasaybz
                              • Apr 2005

What QB is worth taking in the 2nd round?

Comment

Working...
                              X