PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Nelson put on reserve/non-football illness list

psubills62
12-14-2010, 11:48 AM
So his season is done, due to the migraines it seems.

Source is rotoworld.com. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5237)

Out of curiosity, does anyone think TE will be a priority in the draft? I'd say we have much bigger needs, and that a good TE would be a supplement to a good team, but I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Jan Reimers
12-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd say D-linemen and LBs are a much bigger need. If Nelson (who I think could become a very good receiver) can come back, it seems that he, Stupar and Chandler combined could give us enough at the TE position.

If Nelson is permanently disabled by the migraines, I'd like to see a TE taken with our first OFFENSIVE pick, more so than even an O-linemen. We could really use a TE who can be a productive receiver.

But D is the big priority.

Extremebillsfan247
12-14-2010, 12:04 PM
So his season is done, due to the migraines it seems.

Source is rotoworld.com. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5237)

Out of curiosity, does anyone think TE will be a priority in the draft? I'd say we have much bigger needs, and that a good TE would be a supplement to a good team, but I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts.
It is a possibility. But I've heard draft analysts say in the past that if the guy isn't the next Tony Gonzalez (Falcons TE), he really shouldn't be your choice at the top of the draft. I tend to agree with that. So with that in mind, we have to take a hard look at who is out there if anyone who fits that kind of potential. If there isn't one, then maybe you grab one in the later rounds. JMO

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd say D-linemen and LBs are a much bigger need. If Nelson (who I think could become a very good receiver) can come back, it seems that he, Stupar and Chandler combined could give us enough at the TE position.

If Nelson is permanently disabled by the migraines, I'd like to see a TE taken with our first OFFENSIVE pick, more so than even an O-linemen. We could really use a TE who can be a productive receiver.

But D is the big priority.

Id actually prefer a more capable in-line blocking option that we completely lack.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Id actually prefer a more capable in-line blocking option that we completely lack.

A blocking TE or OL? I disagree on the OL part - OT is a much, much bigger need than anything on the inside of the line.

As for blocking TE, I agree they have nothing. Stupar is terrible. Martin is adequate, but not young and is better blocking on the outside. Chandler is young and might be able to fill the role.

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
A blocking TE or OL? I disagree on the OL part - OT is a much, much bigger need than anything on the inside of the line.

As for blocking TE, I agree they have nothing. Stupar is terrible. Martin is adequate, but not young and is better blocking on the outside. Chandler is young and might be able to fill the role.

Im just saying about TE in general. If its between uber athletic pass catcher, or in-line blocker, give me the blocker for now. Our OL needs the extra help.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Im just saying about TE in general. If its between uber athletic pass catcher, or in-line blocker, give me the blocker for now. Our OL needs the extra help.
6 of one, half a dozen of another.

A really good receiving TE can do wonders when the OL struggles.

Extremebillsfan247
12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Im just saying about TE in general. If its between uber athletic pass catcher, or in-line blocker, give me the blocker for now. Our OL needs the extra help.Probably the best prospect Tight End in next years draft would be Notre Dame's Kyle Rudolph. I don't see this team going in that direction and he seems to be the only projected first rounder out of the bunch for next year. As far as later rounds, if he falls to the 2nd, we might take a shot at him then, but I'm thinking if we get a TE at all in the draft, it will be a mid round selection or later. JMO

DesertFox24
12-14-2010, 12:33 PM

I was very surprised the bills have not made a play to sign Colin Peek.

I like Caussin pick up and hope he gets to play this week.

Jaybird
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I think we might make a play for a vet. One of the guys on the Skins would be a great option

madness
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
With this whole migraine mess, I wonder if some teams will be giving that a little bigger warning flag when scouting.

Ickybaluky
12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
By putting him on the NFI as opposed to IR the Bills don't have to pay him his salary for the remainder of the year. Just saying.

Oaf
12-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Back to Nelson, for a 4th round pick, what a colossal BUST. (and yes, I'm ready to say it). What I wouldn't give for Jermichael McFinley.

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Probably the best prospect Tight End in next years draft would be Notre Dame's Kyle Rudolph. I don't see this team going in that direction and he seems to be the only projected first rounder out of the bunch for next year. As far as later rounds, if he falls to the 2nd, we might take a shot at him then, but I'm thinking if we get a TE at all in the draft, it will be a mid round selection or later. JMO

Rudolph is a likely top 20 pick but that wont be till 2012 because he's returning to South Bend.

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
6 of one, half a dozen of another.

A really good receiving TE can do wonders when the OL struggles.

Id argue that but its based on semantics and preference.

psubills62
12-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Rudolph is a likely top 20 pick but that wont be till 2012 because he's returning to South Bend.

So there's little chance he drops to us at pick 32 in 2012?

DraftBoy
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
So there's little chance he drops to us at pick 32 in 2012?

Very little.

psubills62
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Very little.

Shucks.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Back to Nelson, for a 4th round pick, what a colossal BUST. (and yes, I'm ready to say it). What I wouldn't give for Jermichael McFinley.
Fourth rounders are almost always busts. Don't knock 'em too much. It's a dead zone for talent and to get productive players in that round is rare.