PDA

View Full Version : Does Fitzy having more rushing yards than CJ bother you?

methos4ever
12-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Pat posted this on twitter, and I'm interested in how many are truly angry about this stat:

http://twitter.com/#!/PatrickMoranBSD/statuses/14766793629372416

"Tell me if you saw this stat coming and how angry it makes you: Ryan Fitzpatrick has more rushing yards (236) than CJ Spiller (232)"

To me, with the earlier convos re: blocking/etc, and coupled with Fitzpatrick running like a madman at times, it doesn't bother me.

But what say you BZ bretheren (and sisteren?)?

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "angry".. disappointed is probably a much better word.
Also, I dont blame CJ, I blame Gailey for not trying to get him more involved, even if he's still raw. We're 3-10 for christ sakes, stop using your 9th overall pick as nothing more than the occassional change of pace back.

seanbillsfan
12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
This is upsetting. I don't care how many carries he had in college, you don't take a RB that high in the draft to give him 5 carries a game. Especially when we had 2 starting RBs at the time. Fml

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Spiller is averaging 5.1 carries per game this season.. That number needs to be at least 10.

PromoTheRobot
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Nope

PTR

PromoTheRobot
12-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "angry".. disappointed is probably a much better word.
Also, I dont blame CJ, I blame Gailey for not trying to get him more involved, even if he's still raw. We're 3-10 for christ sakes, stop using your 9th overall pick as nothing more than the occassional change of pace back.
This is why you run a website and aren't coaching an NFL team.

PTR

Night Train
12-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Not at all. Fitz has his hand on the ball every offensive play and Spiller has to beg for touches behind Fred Jackson, who has earned the touches.

The coaching staff should be using him more in the passing game, since he showed in college he runs good patterns and has great hands. He's a rookie and I expect him to see the ball far more next season.

Blocking probably has lots to do with it but 2 seasons ago, Fred Jackson couldn't block anyone and had to work hard at that to take touches away from Lynch. He's now a fair blocker and the touches are justified.

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
This is why you run a website and aren't coaching an NFL team.

PTR

yeah, I know I'm an idiot for anticipating that instead of taking an OT, LB or Defensive end, we took a running back with the ninth pick in the draft so he can average 5.1 carries per football game.

And I don't want to hear that "takes time to develop" crap either.. Three UNDRAFTED Free Agent RBs are outrushing Spiller this year.

Like I said, I don't blame Spiller. I blame staff. Spin it anyway you want, it's a joke.

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Not at all. Fitz has his hand on the ball every offensive play and Spiller has to beg for touches behind Fred Jackson, who has earned the touches.

The coaching staff should be using him more in the passing game, since he showed in college he runs good patterns and has great hands. He's a rookie and I expect him to see the ball far more next season.

Blocking probably has lots to do with it but 2 seasons ago, Fred Jackson couldn't block anyone and had to work hard at that to take touches away from Lynch. He's now a fair blocker and the touches are justified.

In all fairness, quality points.

methos4ever
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much for the responses - the tweet did confuse me, because at first, anger really wasn't my first emotion, rather disappointment. But again with blocking paramount should Fitz have to audible a run to a pass, I can understand, this year CJ not getting as much time. Next year would be a different story, assuming he proves he can handle the protections.

stuckincincy
12-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Pat posted this on twitter, and I'm interested in how many are truly angry about this stat:

http://twitter.com/#!/PatrickMoranBSD/statuses/14766793629372416

To me, with the earlier convos re: blocking/etc, and coupled with Fitzpatrick running like a madman at times, it doesn't bother me.

But what say you BZ bretheren (and sisteren?)?

No.

justasportsfan
12-15-2010, 09:40 AM

If you gave Spiller more runs people will ***** and want Fred JAckson cut. If you want to blame anyone , blame Fred for playing like a 9th overall pick in the draft.

Beebe's Kid
12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
We should have given Spiller 5400 carries this year...then we could have tweeted about how we ran him into the ground in a meaningless season...and how unfair it was to Jackson....and all kinds of other things.

That didn't happen so we have this horse to keep coming back to.

Pat, do you think there is one Bills fan that is happy with not seeing CJ running all over the place? I would like to put a disclaimer on that, when I say Bills fan, I mean you want the team to win games, and not lose for a draft pick, or so your doom and gloom predictions are correct.

Every fan wanted to see it all come together. I think there is one thing being missed here...no rookies played a lot. Maybe Chan isn't into throwing them into the fire, only to turn on them and cut them in two years.

Stay with me now...I think what is happening is "coaching." Chan, and his band of gypsies, may be interested in the players knowing the system, and understanding their roles within it, and be grooming them to be prepared when the step on the field.

That is a new concept in Buffalo, but I have a feeling it just might work.

I could give a **** less if Fitzy has more yards than CJ. I don't like it, but I don't care. If it happens again next year, I would consider it an issue. I won't climb the tower, however.

alohabillsfan
12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I would be upset is Spiller had more passing yards than Fitz.

DraftBoy
12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
No Chan Gailey is a terrific coach who is a great game manager.

These issues have been brought up before and have plagued Gailey his entire career of coaching.

Ickybaluky
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
This is upsetting. I don't care how many carries he had in college, you don't take a RB that high in the draft to give him 5 carries a game. Especially when we had 2 starting RBs at the time. Fml

Jamaal Charles only rushed for 357 yards in his rookie year of 2008, outgained by his QB Tyler Thigpen (who had 386 yards). The coordinator was Chan Gailey.

Do you think Chiefs fans are upset, given the dynamic player Charles has become? Do you think they care that Charles didn't get as much playing time as a rookie because he had to learn to play RB in the NFL, which means a lot more than just running the ball?

I mean, seriously, this is just looking for something to ***** about. Have a little patience.

alohabillsfan
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Jamaal Charles only rushed for 357 yards in his rookie year of 2008, outgained by his QB Tyler Thigpen (who had 386 yards). The coordinator was Chan Gailey.

Do you think Chiefs fans are upset, given the dynamic player Charles has become? Do you think they care that Charles didn't get as much playing time as a rookie because he had to learn to play RB in the NFL, which means a lot more than just running the ball?

I mean, seriously, this is just looking for something to ***** about. Have a little patience.

Here comes the "Its Chan Gailey" system....

DrGraves
12-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Jackson isn't broken so don't try to fix it. The only thing I would like to see more is some sweeps and swing passes to Spiller. No need to take many carries away from Freddie

EDS
12-15-2010, 11:54 AM

In fairness, Jamaal Charles was not a first round pick. In general, I think there is a much greater expectation that high first round picks will contribute early, as opposed to players drafted later on where there is an assumption that additional seasoning is needed.

G Wolly
12-15-2010, 12:11 PM
It's not a bad thing to have a QB with some wheels.

Had Spiller played more games than Fitz, then yes, this would bother me.

Cntrygal
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
No.

Ickybaluky
12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
In fairness, Jamaal Charles was not a first round pick. In general, I think there is a much greater expectation that high first round picks will contribute early, as opposed to players drafted later on where there is an assumption that additional seasoning is needed.

He is an NFL player now, where he was drafted is not really relevant.

I used Charles as an example because they are similar players. Like Charles, Spiller needs to learn about playing RB in the NFL. He has to do a lot more than he did at Clemson. He has to understand defensive schemes, and the passing game is a lot more complicated. That isn't uncommon for a guy who was a lead back in college to take some time to adjust.

I did think Spiller would have a more dramatic impact on ST as a return guy. He does have a kick return for a TD, but I thought he would have a bigger impact based on how good he was in college. However, I don't think he has been a disappointment. If he doesn't begin to make a bigger impact next year, then you can worry.

LtFinFan66
12-15-2010, 01:28 PM

I mean, seriously, this is just looking for something to ***** about. Have a little patience.but did it take Gailey moving on for this to happen??

TheBrownBear
12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
No. Spiller is young and should have many productive seasons ahead of him. Why burn him out or get him hurt with a bunch of carries when you're going nowhere this year. It makes sense to use Fred as the workhorse at this point. He's in the prime of his career and is a better blocker and route runner thanks to his experience. Let Spiller learn from Jackson for a year or two and then let him loose.

Whether or not it was stupid to pick Spiller at number 9 is still up for debate. But to run him into the ground on a crappy team just because of his draft spot would be monumentally stupid.

sqad5
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes run him alot, lets see what he has with 15 to 20 carries.

sqad5
12-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you

BertSquirtgum
12-16-2010, 02:36 AM
boners' r' us'

jcdavey
12-16-2010, 03:45 AM

gailey was fired after that lol, bad example

thejosh213
12-16-2010, 04:06 AM
I just have a feeling we are using him this year to get used to the speed of the nfl. I think he will be a beast next year.

Oldbillsfan
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Bills coach Chan Gailey expressed disappointment Wednesday in the slow development of rookie C.J. Spiller.
"C.J. did some really good things in preseason," said Gailey. "But we all know the level of intensity goes up a notch when it's not preseason. C.J. wasn't able to adjust enough." Spiller is averaging under seven offensive touches per game this season. He's at least taken over on kick and punt returns.

Extremebillsfan247
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/PatrickMoranBSD/statuses/14766793629372416 (http://twitter.com/#%21/PatrickMoranBSD/statuses/14766793629372416)

But what say you BZ bretheren (and sisteren?)? Does it anger me? no.. It's because I know the situation here about what those stats don't tell you.

YardRat
12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Is CJ Bother You related to CJ Ah You?

Extremebillsfan247
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Is CJ Bother You related to CJ Ah You? Yeah, they both Brothas from anotha mutha.. lol