PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want Bills Playing On Thanksgiving?

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
The way Thanksiving games work is Detroit and Dallas flop conference opponents each year.

Next year, Dallas host an AFC opponent and Detroit has the NFC.

Dallas plays the AFC East next year, so either the Bills or Miami will be playing at Dallas at Thanksgiving.

Do you want it to be the Bills?

Joe Fo Sho
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
More than anything.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes x1000

Night Train
12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I'd enjoy it.

I host Thanksgiving at my house with relatives and it would be a great time.

Jan Reimers
12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Besides a Bugatti Veyron, that's what I'm asking from Santa.

psubills62
12-15-2010, 08:51 AM
That would be pretty cool. Yeah, I'd want them to play on Thanksgiving.

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Bills last played on Thanksgiving I believe in 1994.. Someone would have to look up what happened.

I'd be surprised if its Buffalo, even though they have a 50% chance. I would think Miami by far would be the better national draw.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah, Bills played Detroit and lost.

It could go either way since neither team is elite. They could choose Miami and roll hours of Leon Lett footage, or choose Buffalo and pump up the last meeting on MNF.

If throwbacks are worn like they usually are, that has to bode well for the Bills.

BlackMetalNinja
12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Bills last played on Thanksgiving I believe in 1994.. Someone would have to look up what happened.

I'd be surprised if its Buffalo, even though they have a 50% chance. I would think Miami by far would be the better national draw.
Lions beat them 35-21

BertSquirtgum
12-15-2010, 08:56 AM
that would be the bomb

patmoran2006
12-15-2010, 09:07 AM

It could go either way since neither team is elite. They could choose Miami and roll hours of Leon Lett footage, or choose Buffalo and pump up the last meeting on MNF.

If throwbacks are worn like they usually are, that has to bode well for the Bills.

Yeah not to mention both teams have sucked in 2010, and they could hype their former Super Bowls as both teams try to "turn the corner and get back to their glory days"

The risk the league runs though is that its later in the season and the Bills could be awful again by then.. Then again, its not like Miami is an elite team either.

methos4ever
12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I think it'd be fun, especially if they get more talent in.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah not to mention both teams have sucked in 2010, and they could hype their former Super Bowls as both teams try to "turn the corner and get back to their glory days"

The risk the league runs though is that its later in the season and the Bills could be awful again by then.. Then again, its not like Miami is an elite team either.

Careful, you just fired up the Dolphin fans on the board.

Beebe's Kid
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Careful, you just fired up the Dolphin fans on the board.Yeah, and they get sand in their vages real quick. There are four of them, and they get all chapped in the ass if anything bad is said about their awesome team. They won the division a few years ago, you know?

The best part is that I talk a lot of **** with my friends, and I have never seen fans with so little a sense of humor about their team, or themselves, and they are hanging out it a Buffalo Board. It seems kind of sado-masochistic, and I can't figure it out. If you are the sensitive type, that is a pretty stupid move.

Thanksgiving? Hell yes. Who wouldn't want that? Too bad it's Dallas, I would make a trip to Detroit, but Texas would be cutting into family time. It would just be awesome to give a flying **** about the game on Thanksgiving. I don't think I have cared since Barry retired...and then I didn't really even care, just paid attention more.

bigbry
12-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Seriously who does that? Lose to Detroit on T-Day?

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 10:42 AM

In the Barry Sanders era, I would imagine quite a few.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
It's going to be the Dolphins. Better draw, slightly better team (didn't say elite!), and there is history there w/ the Dolphins & Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

That said, I don't think it's a done deal. If the Bills win 2 or even 3 to end the year, they might be hyped up enough to convince schedule makers to make it the Bills. But if you win 1 or drop all three, forget it, it's the Dolphins.

Who knows, maybe something IS riding on Sunday's game afterall!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 10:48 AM

It is hard to believe, but Detroit was actually good at one point. I think that was even their first year w/ Scott Mitchell too!

justasportsfan
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
It's going to be the Dolphins. Better draw, slightly better team (didn't say elite!), and there is history there w/ the Dolphins & Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

as long as it's not played in miami. More finfans show up to a funeral than a miami game

As far as the bills playing, I don't know. We don't do well on nationally televised games. Hopefull that will change under Gailey.

DraftBoy
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
It is hard to believe, but Detroit was actually good at one point.

Same could be said about the Bills. :puke:

clumping platelets
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Who knows, maybe something IS riding on Sunday's game afterall!

:squish:

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
:squish:

Oh yeah - right - our unbending hatred for each other, how could I forget!!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 10:59 AM
as long as it's not played in miami. More finfans show up to a funeral than a miami game

As far as the bills playing, I don't know. We don't do well on nationally televised games. Hopefull that will change under Gailey.

That was some crowd at the Ralph this past Sunday, eh!!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Same could be said about the Bills. :puke:

Oh, unfortunately, I will forever have that era stamped in my brain. I went to college in Rochester during the Superbowl run. The mental scars will never heal.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Weather + crappy team(s) played a factor in that.

In Miami it's a weekly occurrence. And I say this as a fan of The U who is routinely embarrassed by the crowds.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
If history is a deciding factor in this, let's not forget that Chan Gailey was once a coach in Dallas.

DraftBoy
12-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh, unfortunately, I will forever have that era stamped in my brain. I went to college in Rochester during the Superbowl run. The mental scars will never heal.

Enjoy!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Weather + crappy team(s) played a factor in that.

In Miami it's a weekly occurrence. And I say this as a fan of The U who is routinely embarrassed by the crowds.

Look, Miami's Dolphin fan base down there is incredibly fickle, but it's never as bad as it was Sunday at the Ralph. I'm not knocking Bills fans, you have an incredibly passionate fan base, but that was pitiful!

I was down in Miami for the Cleveland game two weeks ago, and it was about 10% empty, spread throughout, even though it was sold out. That's pretty typical for the last six years. But even in '07, you never saw a crowd as bad as Sunday at the Ralph.

Granted, that's rare at the Ralph, but what gives. I know the weather sucks, but this is Upstate NY!! The weather sucks!! You're either a fan or you're not - go to the games!!! My sis and bro-in-laws are season-tix holders and they didn't go either. I yell at them about this all the time, they stay home if the weather is bad!! WTF!!

Put it this way, I'd go to the Dolphin game if a Hurricane was hitting the Ralph.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
If history is a deciding factor in this, let's not forget that Chan Gailey was once a coach in Dallas.

True, and Jerry Jones said his "one regret" was firing Chan Gailey. He's a good coach, and I think he's starting to show that finally this year.

DrGraves
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Why can't it be the Pats/Jets? And I would love to watch my bills on thanksgiving with the family!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Why can't it be the Pats/Jets? And I would love to watch my bills on thanksgiving with the family!

They are scheduled to host Dallas, I guess.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Look, Miami's Dolphin fan base down there is incredibly fickle, but it's never as bad as it was Sunday at the Ralph. I'm not knocking Bills fans, you have an incredibly passionate fan base, but that was pitiful!

I was down in Miami for the Cleveland game two weeks ago, and it was about 10% empty, spread throughout, even though it was sold out. That's pretty typical for the last six years. But even in '07, you never saw a crowd as bad as Sunday at the Ralph.

Granted, that's rare at the Ralph, but what gives. I know the weather sucks, but this is Upstate NY!! The weather sucks!! You're either a fan or you're not - go to the games!!! My sis and bro-in-laws are season-tix holders and they didn't go either. I yell at them about this all the time, they stay home if the weather is bad!! WTF!!

Put it this way, I'd go to the Dolphin game if a Hurricane was hitting the Ralph.

Normally the weather isn't a factor, but after a decade+ of losing, fans are getting sick of it.

I hate the blackouts and thought the crowd was embarrassing as well, but I'm also the same person who was calling for this because the front office will never get the hint until people stop showing up.

When comparing crowds with other teams in the league, I'd be interested to know what stadium would be full after this many years of constant losing like the Bills have had.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Enjoy!

The best was in '92, the day of our MNF game in Miami. We had killed you at the Ralph earlier 37-10, and on Monday to class, I walked around campus w/ my Dolphin jersey, jacket, hat and ..... Zubas (:funny:). I was trying to be an ass, and succeeded!!!

Man did Tuesday suck!!

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:11 AM
When comparing crowds with other teams in the league, I'd be interested to know what stadium would be full after this many years of constant losing like the Bills have had.

That is a very valid point and I don't even want to think about what Joe Robbie/ProPlayer/Dolphins/Jimmy Buffet LandShark Lagar/Sun Life would look like after a decade-plus of missing the playoffs, and two wins coming into the game!!

wmoz11
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
If Jerry wants a win at Jerry's World on Thanksgiving, he'll schedule the Bills. Not that Miami is going to be great next year, but perception will be that the Bills are an easier victory.

Not sure what kind of say the NFL would give Dallas on the matter, though.

justasportsfan
12-15-2010, 11:19 AM

inspite of the weather, still more than finfans in great florida weather.

Ed
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
No thanks to the Bills on Thanksgiving. It's already a great day without a Bills game and I usually have a lot going on. And if they play on Thanksgiving then there's no game to look forward to on Sunday.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:28 AM
inspite of the weather, still more than finfans in great florida weather.

Not bragging about the SoFla fan base, but that's not even close to reality.

DrGraves
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
The dolphins are a tough team to watch especially with Henne at QB....

not saying the bills are much better to watch, but not that bad at least.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
The weather alone should fill that stadium. I hate the entire Miami fan base across all sports. Like I said, I want to throw up when I watch the college home games. It's disgusting.

DolfanTom
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
The dolphins are a tough team to watch especially with Henne at QB....

not saying the bills are much better to watch, but not that bad at least.

Henne has been a disapointment, and this coming from a defender of his. Still hopeful, but time is running out.

To think, Fitz could've been had by anyone two years ago! Now, he's pretty much an established starter w/ some upside, whether in Buffalo or elsewhere going forward.

Cntrygal
12-15-2010, 11:44 AM
No.

Forward_Lateral
12-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't know. I've been embarassed enough over the past 5 years when the Bills play on national TV. It would be cool to watch them on Thanksgiving, but I don't know if I want that.

Nublar7
12-15-2010, 11:54 AM
The NFL is going to choose the Dolphins, no question about it. Many factors point to this conclusion.

1. The only two choices to play Dallas, with the Thanksgiving rotation is Miami and Buffalo. Buffalo has been BAD for a long time, and suck again this year. Miami is not having a great season this season, but they do currently have a winning record.

2. Miami is a MUCH bigger national draw than Buffalo.

3. While there is some minor talk that Sparano is on the hot seat, I think it is safe to say he will return in 2011. So, there is the whole Sparano going back to Dallas for the first time storyline.

4. Again, Buffalo sucks.

5. Miami has won their last two Thanksgiving day games, so they are likely to give a good showing.

6. Buffalo sucks

stuckincincy
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
The way Thanksiving games work is Detroit and Dallas flop conference opponents each year.

Dallas plays the AFC East next year, so either the Bills or Miami will be playing at Dallas at Thanksgiving.

Yes I do. Here in Cincinnati, I get to see a Bills game maybe once every 3 years - if that.

Like everybody else, I get to view GB, MINN (whoever Favre happens to be playing for; most all of the NFC East ( DAL)) year after year after year.

:doh:

Historian
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
I'd pay real money to NOT see the Cowboys or Lions next Thanksgiving!

LtFinFan66
12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, and they get sand in their vages real quick. There are four of them, and they get all chapped in the ass if anything bad is said about their awesome team. They won the division a few years ago, you know?

The best part is that I talk a lot of **** with my friends, and I have never seen fans with so little a sense of humor about their team, or themselves, and they are hanging out it a Buffalo Board. It seems kind of sado-masochistic, and I can't figure it out. If you are the sensitive type, that is a pretty stupid move.

Thanksgiving? Hell yes. Who wouldn't want that? Too bad it's Dallas, I would make a trip to Detroit, but Texas would be cutting into family time. It would just be awesome to give a flying **** about the game on Thanksgiving. I don't think I have cared since Barry retired...and then I didn't really even care, just paid attention more.there's more than 4 and not all of us are that way. just saying

LtFinFan66
12-15-2010, 12:58 PM
My girlfriend is a Cowboy fan so I would enjoy the Cowboys/Fins playing but might be better off with the Bills/Boys

trapezeus
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
i think the NFL would find the bills match up more interesting. the dolphins are a boring team. even with their "winning record", they can only run. and when teams stop that, they've got nothing. The jets handed that game to them, and they refused to put it away. They aren't exactly on the up and up. they just plateued.

Also, the bills have provided some good entertainment since the bye. Fairly high scoring. They may have a big name rookie playing, they might have more reasons to be good than the dolphins.

that being said, i hope they don't pick the bills. I don't mind if they play at 1pm. but the 4pm game gets into the actual dinner, and then you are trying to please the ladies by sitting down at a decent time while watching the TV. It's too much for my household.

But i real signature win on national TV in November could be just what the doctor ordered to prove we are moving in the right direction.

RockStar36
12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
i think the NFL would find the bills match up more interesting. the dolphins are a boring team. even with their "winning record", they can only run. and when teams stop that, they've got nothing. The jets handed that game to them, and they refused to put it away. They aren't exactly on the up and up. they just plateued.

Also, the bills have provided some good entertainment since the bye. Fairly high scoring. They may have a big name rookie playing, they might have more reasons to be good than the dolphins.

that being said, i hope they don't pick the bills. I don't mind if they play at 1pm. but the 4pm game gets into the actual dinner, and then you are trying to please the ladies by sitting down at a decent time while watching the TV. It's too much for my household.

But i real signature win on national TV in November could be just what the doctor ordered to prove we are moving in the right direction.

Anybody in my family that wouldn't understand interrupting Thanksgiving dinner for the Bills might wanna find a new family to join.

Billz_fan
12-15-2010, 01:32 PM

About 1/2 of everyone they play. Detroit for all there woe's is 33-36-2 on Thanksgiving day. Much better than there overall record on Sundays etc.

Jeff1220
12-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Another thing that would play into the Bills' favor on Thanksgiving (as opposed to some other national game) is that ratings aren't really an issue. Thanksgiving football is a tradition and football fans (and many non-football fans) watch those games regardless of who is on the schedule justcuz. So national TV market and all is more of an issue for MNF and SNF than it is for Thanksgiving day games.

Extremebillsfan247
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Do you want it to be the Bills? It should depend on their record and whether or not they have earned the opportunity to be in a spotlight game such as that one. That's just my opinion though. That's not just for Buffalo but for all teams. Thanksgiving day games should be flex matches. The league has grown a lot since 1970 when Detroit and Dallas became the 2 swap teams. A change in the way that is done needs to happen. I would like to see games played on Thanksgiving that actually matter as far as playoff implications go. I think fans should be allowed to vote on at least one of the matchups. That would be fun.

TheBrownBear
12-15-2010, 01:54 PM
No thanks. I'd like to save my coma for after the Thanksgiving turkey.

As for 1994, Kelly threw a pick 6 as we were driving in for the tying score. I remember that being one of the first moments where I thought Jimbo's game was really starting to deteriorate and that I no longer trusted him to carry the team on his back.

better days
12-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Maybe the Bills will be better & the Cowboys will again be awful.

STRONG_BAD
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
@1PMSundaysInDaFall4Eva

Nights, Mondays and Thursdays are for Faaags.

STRONG_BAD
12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
@1PMSundaysInDaFall4Eva

Nights, Mondays and Thursdays are for Faaags.

And Thanksgiving too

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2010, 06:08 AM
About 1/2 of everyone they play. Detroit for all there woe's is 33-36-2 on Thanksgiving day. Much better than there overall record on Sundays etc.

Except for the fact that they haven't won on Thanksgiving since 2003.

Dr. Lecter
12-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Which college?

Luisito23
12-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Last Thanksgiving game I remember was the Thomas, and Sanders showdown, so yes, I do want them to play!

Oaf
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
You kidding me? Dallas v. Buffalo would be a big draw IMO, especially considering so much of the audience was in their prime when it was the back-to-back Bills-Dallas SBs.

SABURZFAN
12-16-2010, 03:13 PM

no. i want to enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner.