X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Donte Whitner tweets that his future in Buffalo does not look good

Yeah, I know it's from twitter, and the attitude by some fans towards it, when it comes to player tweets. But in this age, it's how a lot of info and thoughts get out there that otherwise wouldn't.

So, here ya go (from early this morning):

"Been up since 5 watching Dophins film...received some not so good info yesterday Bills fans..."

"My future here.... :-( "

"God has something really awesome in store for me..."

Could be just negotiating or overdramatizing things?! I thought they were working something out according to reports last week.

But an interesting note. According to the current CBA (or lack of one), Donte cannot be a UFA after this offseason, unless they simply decide to let him walk with no compensation, which is unlikely in that scenario. He'll only have 5 years service. When the owners opted out, it changed the rules to players needing 6 years. That can and very well will change with the next agreement. It could go back to 4 or just 5.

Also, he's actually under contract for next year at $1.9 mil. But that is a voidable year. So, I'm assuming he's voiding it.

There are a lot of scenarios here.
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: Donte Whitner tweets that his future in Buffalo does not look good

Bye. We can find someone else to celebrate a mediocure hit 20 yards from the LOS for 1/2 the price.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

someone must have told OBD that George wilson will demand whatever they pay whitner.

in seriousness, i think in season deals are too hard to sign. unless both sides come to the table at the same amount, why wouldn't you make the other side sweat it alittle?

I'm not worried. Signing him at a decent price would be good based on his improved play. and perhaps he gets better with a real LB core. but at the same time, i think george wilson has more game changing plays and holds his own when he's in.

it'll open up another need to let him walk, but it wouldn't be devastating.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

I heard this on the way to work on the Howard Simon Show... There are some wonderful things that we are able to do with technology...Twitter is not one of them.

This, if I had to guess, is what happens in a "negotiation." If the two sides were working on an extension, I would take a stab at the following, generally speaking, was the conversation:

Buddy: Well, hell, Donte you been having one heck of a year, and we would like to reward ya with an extension.

Donte*: Great, Mr. Nix! I just love it here in Buffalo, and I want to win a Super Bowl, well...multiple really, and I want to retire a Bill.

BN: Well that is just fan****ingtastic. We'll give you $X.XX million for X years. Just sign here at the X, and press hard, there is three copies.

DW: (Awkward Silence) I don't want you thinking that I don't appreciate this, because I do, but I thing I should get $Z.ZZ million for Z years.

BN: (Laughing) That's cute, Donte, it is...you had me going for a second, ol'boy!!! Truth is, that just...well...it...doesn't work for me, so here's a pen, and my generous offer, and remember...three copies.

DW: Mr. Nix, I think I am worth more than this, and I feel this is an unfair offer.

BN: Think what you will, but this is where we're at.

* DW was actually Donte's agent speaking for him, and he doesn't have an emotional tie to the team, so he pretends to walk away, and Buddy, knowing there is a lot of time left, is willing to let it ride, for the time being.

Meanwhile, on the hamster-wheel in Donte's head, he feels the need to "Tweet" that it's all over....regardless of the fact that there are 3 games left on the schedule. Seems an awfully strange time to have wrapped up contract talks.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

Who cares. Another average at best player that doesn't deserve to get overpaid. His production will be easily replaced.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by BidsJr
            Bye. We can find someone else to celebrate a mediocure hit 20 yards from the LOS for 1/2 the price.
            No...Donte is #20. The good one.

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

The link referenced that the Bills wanted to wait to see what happens with the CBA... it has already been removed...

404: The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

This page may have moved, or you may have mistyped the address or followed a bad link.

Comment

• BidsJr
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                No...Donte is #20. The good one.

You apparently need to watch more football. Especially putting "the good one" and #20 in the same sentence. The "average one who has underachieved" is more like it.
                "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

I try to defend Donte, not gonna lie, I think hes a solid player even if others dont agree with me, and then he posts stupid s*** like this?? What an idiot.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

His past and present in Buffalo don't look so good either, so buh-bye. Next!
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by BidsJr
                      You apparently need to watch more football. Especially putting "the good one" and #20 in the same sentence. The "average one who has underachieved" is more like it.
                      You're right! What was I thinking... I just, realistically of course, hope we replace 9 starters and all reserves on defense this off season....Oh yeah, and draft our Tom Brady!!!!

Realistic? Not at all but at least I can keep saying "I knew exactly what we needed to do, I could do a better job."

Donte is not the problem you think he is, but you're right, why keep players that are doing well here? I know he's not Polamalu, so we should just dump him, until the offseason when we can get our Polamalu, which we'll add to the list of our next Bruce Smith, our Clay Matthews, our Tony Gonzalez, our Revis, and on and on...

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

He and Poz are not going anywhere anyway unless a new CBA is struck. Both will be restricted and I guarantee we will more than likely put the mid level tender on them which is matching their draft round. No one is giving up a first for Whitner or a second for Poz.

He is just not happy about it, but if a CBA is struck by the super bowl like Goodell wants then I bet we will sign him and Poz.

Nix is not stupid.

However, AJ Smith has said that he will not resign players because he wants those comp picks.

Comment

• Griz78
                          • Sep 2002

Dominique Harris? He seemed to do decent in preseason but would need some experience.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Whitner - King of Shoulder Hits to Guys Already on the Ground.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

I'm not a huge Whitner fan. I wouldn't mind if we re-signed him, but I also wouldn't bat an eye if he walked in free agency. The guy has played decently this year, but people need to remember it's a contract year for him.

I don't want to have to fill another hole on this team. However, Wilson starting would not be a huge drop-off, meaning we just need to find a backup. Not hard, especially if Whitner is asking too large of a price. Money needs to be spent on a core of players (once we find them), not on guys who should be replaced on a good team.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X