PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner tweets that his future in Buffalo does not look good

Coach Sal
12-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I know it's from twitter, and the attitude by some fans towards it, when it comes to player tweets. But in this age, it's how a lot of info and thoughts get out there that otherwise wouldn't.

So, here ya go (from early this morning):

"Been up since 5 watching Dophins film...received some not so good info yesterday Bills fans..."

"My future here.... :-( "

"God has something really awesome in store for me..."

Could be just negotiating or overdramatizing things?! I thought they were working something out according to reports last week.

But an interesting note. According to the current CBA (or lack of one), Donte cannot be a UFA after this offseason, unless they simply decide to let him walk with no compensation, which is unlikely in that scenario. He'll only have 5 years service. When the owners opted out, it changed the rules to players needing 6 years. That can and very well will change with the next agreement. It could go back to 4 or just 5.

Also, he's actually under contract for next year at $1.9 mil. But that is a voidable year. So, I'm assuming he's voiding it.

There are a lot of scenarios here.

BidsJr
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Bye. We can find someone else to celebrate a mediocure hit 20 yards from the LOS for 1/2 the price.

trapezeus
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
someone must have told OBD that George wilson will demand whatever they pay whitner.

in seriousness, i think in season deals are too hard to sign. unless both sides come to the table at the same amount, why wouldn't you make the other side sweat it alittle?

I'm not worried. Signing him at a decent price would be good based on his improved play. and perhaps he gets better with a real LB core. but at the same time, i think george wilson has more game changing plays and holds his own when he's in.

it'll open up another need to let him walk, but it wouldn't be devastating.

Beebe's Kid
12-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I heard this on the way to work on the Howard Simon Show... There are some wonderful things that we are able to do with technology...Twitter is not one of them.

This, if I had to guess, is what happens in a "negotiation." If the two sides were working on an extension, I would take a stab at the following, generally speaking, was the conversation:

Buddy: Well, hell, Donte you been having one heck of a year, and we would like to reward ya with an extension.

Donte*: Great, Mr. Nix! I just love it here in Buffalo, and I want to win a Super Bowl, well...multiple really, and I want to retire a Bill.

BN: Well that is just fan****ingtastic. We'll give you $X.XX million for X years. Just sign here at the X, and press hard, there is three copies.

DW: (Awkward Silence) I don't want you thinking that I don't appreciate this, because I do, but I thing I should get $Z.ZZ million for Z years.

BN: (Laughing) That's cute, Donte, it is...you had me going for a second, ol'boy!!! Truth is, that just...well...it...doesn't work for me, so here's a pen, and my generous offer, and remember...three copies.

DW: Mr. Nix, I think I am worth more than this, and I feel this is an unfair offer.

BN: Think what you will, but this is where we're at.

* DW was actually Donte's agent speaking for him, and he doesn't have an emotional tie to the team, so he pretends to walk away, and Buddy, knowing there is a lot of time left, is willing to let it ride, for the time being.

Meanwhile, on the hamster-wheel in Donte's head, he feels the need to "Tweet" that it's all over....regardless of the fact that there are 3 games left on the schedule. Seems an awfully strange time to have wrapped up contract talks.

k-oneputt
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Who cares. Another average at best player that doesn't deserve to get overpaid. His production will be easily replaced.

Beebe's Kid
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Bye. We can find someone else to celebrate a mediocure hit 20 yards from the LOS for 1/2 the price.

No...Donte is #20. The good one.

madness
12-16-2010, 08:22 AM
The link referenced that the Bills wanted to wait to see what happens with the CBA... it has already been removed...

404: The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

This page may have moved, or you may have mistyped the address or followed a bad link.

BidsJr
12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
No...Donte is #20. The good one.

You apparently need to watch more football. Especially putting "the good one" and #20 in the same sentence. The "average one who has underachieved" is more like it.

Pinkerton Security
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
I try to defend Donte, not gonna lie, I think hes a solid player even if others dont agree with me, and then he posts stupid s*** like this?? What an idiot.

Philagape
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
His past and present in Buffalo don't look so good either, so buh-bye. Next!

Beebe's Kid
12-16-2010, 08:50 AM
You apparently need to watch more football. Especially putting "the good one" and #20 in the same sentence. The "average one who has underachieved" is more like it.

You're right! What was I thinking... I just, realistically of course, hope we replace 9 starters and all reserves on defense this off season....Oh yeah, and draft our Tom Brady!!!!

Realistic? Not at all but at least I can keep saying "I knew exactly what we needed to do, I could do a better job."

Donte is not the problem you think he is, but you're right, why keep players that are doing well here? I know he's not Polamalu, so we should just dump him, until the offseason when we can get our Polamalu, which we'll add to the list of our next Bruce Smith, our Clay Matthews, our Tony Gonzalez, our Revis, and on and on...

DesertFox24
12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
He and Poz are not going anywhere anyway unless a new CBA is struck. Both will be restricted and I guarantee we will more than likely put the mid level tender on them which is matching their draft round. No one is giving up a first for Whitner or a second for Poz.

He is just not happy about it, but if a CBA is struck by the super bowl like Goodell wants then I bet we will sign him and Poz.

Nix is not stupid.

However, AJ Smith has said that he will not resign players because he wants those comp picks.

Griz78
12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Dominique Harris? He seemed to do decent in preseason but would need some experience.

Mr. Miyagi
12-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Whitner - King of Shoulder Hits to Guys Already on the Ground.

psubills62
12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not a huge Whitner fan. I wouldn't mind if we re-signed him, but I also wouldn't bat an eye if he walked in free agency. The guy has played decently this year, but people need to remember it's a contract year for him.

I don't want to have to fill another hole on this team. However, Wilson starting would not be a huge drop-off, meaning we just need to find a backup. Not hard, especially if Whitner is asking too large of a price. Money needs to be spent on a core of players (once we find them), not on guys who should be replaced on a good team.

Luisito23
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I hope he voids his contract, pack his draws and computer, and pretend like our relationship never happened.

Ed
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
I would prefer that we re-sign Donte, but the Bills have been overpaying him for 5 years so if he's expecting that to continue then let him walk.

Jan Reimers
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Even though guys like Whitner and Poz take a lot of s**t from fans on here because they are not superstars, they are still good, honest football players.

We need to re-sign our solid veterans rather than create more holes to be filled. We have plenty of positions that are in far worse shape than Whitner's.

Let's keep our reliable veterans, and work on getting some front 7 defensive help and perhaps a TE and O-lineman.

mrbojanglezs
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
he probably doesn't wants more money than his rookie contract but what he doesn't realize is that he is not worth it and should take a pay cut and like it

justasportsfan
12-16-2010, 09:53 AM
he was talking to the haters like OP. That means he's re-signing with the bills.

DrGraves
12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
rep thread!! wooo rid us of the whitner plague

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
The Bills can't have huge player turnover and expect to compete. These players (Poz, Whitner) are finally settling into the new scheme(s) and are playing solid football. They might not be all-pro, but they are definitely better than avg players. They are young, too. This team has so many holes on defense, it can't afford to create more holes by letting good players walk.

I know a lot of people aren't Whitner fans, and I'm not his biggest either, but the Bills could do A LOT worse at the SS position.

Oaf
12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Who says Donte didn't use this precisely to credible his threat of walking?

Figster
12-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Donte Whitner is the heart of the defense and a leader in the locker room.

Lets stick to the program and run our best players out of town like we always do...

Mr. Miyagi
12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Lets stick to the program and run our best players out of town like we always do...
Donte, is that you?

trapezeus
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Like i said before. Whitner is Fitz. Playing well, perhaps above his paygrade and normal skill level. He'd be good to have on the team in a starting capacity next year. however, if another option that enhances his spot comes along....get him.

Fitz is signed through next year and seems content, so there is no discussion of him leaving.

but if he came in and wanted more than what our back up made and the backup played just as well as he did. i'm not sure people would be in fitz's corner.

yeah, it sucks to create another hole, but money is a huge factor in this. i don't want another $24MM guy on the team who plays like a $15MM player.

justasportsfan
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I know a lot of people aren't Whitner fans, and I'm not his biggest either, but the Bills could do A LOT worse at the SS position.

While I agree, I just watch Palumalu or Ed Reed and wish we had either.

Figster
12-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Donte, is that you?

doggonit,

I'm busted...

TacklingDummy
12-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Christmas came early.

OpIv37
12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Twitter doesn't make one stupid. It just makes one's stupidity more accessible to everyone else.

BidsJr
12-16-2010, 12:18 PM

If Donte is the heart of this defense we definately need a transplant.

DraftBoy
12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
We keep creating holes, we are never going to turn the corner.

Typ0
12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
boo ****ing who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghz in pittsburgh
12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
On wgr55 Donte said the assessment of his value is way off between his camp and Bill camp. So he's likely hit FA market.

BidsJr
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
On wgr55 Donte said the assessment of his value is way off between his camp and Bill camp. So he's likely hit FA market.

Sounds like some on this board overvaluing his value to the team.

He is an average underachiever. If we want to pay him as such lets keep him. Apparently that is what the Bills want to do. If not bye.

Jan Reimers
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
But so do 30 other teams, justa.

RockStar36
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
While I don't like him at all, I see the point of creating another hole while trying to fill others. However, I'd rather create another hole when the alternative is overpaying him like they did with Kelsay.

kingJofNYC
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Outside of Wilson we have no real depth at Safety, Scott can't cover a deep quarter/half of the field, and this draft doesn't look particularly interesting in terms of safeties.

Just need another year from him until an eventual replacement is found. Have no problems going with Wilson/Byrd, I quite like Wilson, but we need another guy waiting in the wings just in case one of them goes down.

HAMMER
12-16-2010, 01:37 PM
We need a franchise player at every position or we are doooomed.

Philagape
12-16-2010, 01:44 PM

The heart of the worst run defense in the league ... yeah, that's about right.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
http://audio.wgr550.com/hosting/media/wgr550/1268192/whitner-for-web.mp3

Listen to the link. He kept mentioning finding out his true value (dollar amount and everything else) outside of Buffalo.

Personally I think it puts the Bills in a bind. You bet Nix and Gailey does not want to create another hole and Donte is probably above average overall and is a great leader. But I will not put him into the Polamalu or Reed even Wilson category. The thing is the Bills put themselves into a little hole in terms of Kelsay's contract. If they over-pay Donte, then they pretty much have to over-pay everyone else who comes along.

trapezeus
12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
kelsay is at the back end of his career with guarnatees not really needed.

whitner is in the prime of his career and will expect a lot of guaranteed money. Overpaying kelsay sucked, but isn't that awful. Overpaying donte will be a real pain if he just stays at this level. he's had a lot of time to kick it up a notch. He never does.

the bills literally need one more year out of whitner and then they can pick up someone else to fill his shoes and back up wilson.

the more i think about it, the more i don't want to lose wilson. a guy who actually makes interceptions and rarely gets torched by bad angles.

k-oneputt
12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
He's a safety. And a safety who is not a difference maker. Not hard to replace.
If they can sign him for a reasonable contract, if not, let him walk.

TheBrownBear
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Uh oh...sounds like a terminal illness for Donte?

Ed
12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a feeling that Donte is going to find out that the assessment of his value is way off between his camp and the rest of the NFL also. He probably thinks he's entitled to pro-bowl type money since he was a #8 overall pick after all.

justasportsfan
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Dear Daunte: DONTE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just one fans opinion, but keep your head up bro. Not everyone agrees with the way the Dolphins(BILLS) handled you and your situation. I for one do not feel much pride in this team with this situation, I think it was classless the way it was handled and I think you deserve better, all players that have the love and respect of their teammates desreve better and you had that with this team.

I hope your next stop is a good one and you return to form. You deserve it because of the hard work and the hart you've shown since this injury. I also want to thank you for wanting to help this team succeed and wanting to be a Dolphin(BILL). Even though you came back to soon and that decision probably cost you your future in Miami (BUFFALO), I know you did so because you're a competitor and you want to succeed as much as any player on this team, including the pressure to win you faced in you decisions.

I'll root for you wherever you land, I think there are some serious flaws in NFL circles and sometimes the good guy's lose. I also have no problem with you forcing your release, there has to be some sorta of consequence for the treatment you've endored the last few months since the new coaching staff arrived and you aren't the only player to suffer such poor treatment around the league. I sat and watched Cam Cameron(CHAN GAILEY) state with my own eyes and ears he wouldn't evaluate any player till they were a 100%, he obviously didn't mean you cause he obviously never intented on giving you that chance, even though the conversation at the time was about you.

I still love my team, but I just wanted you to know that not everything that happens with this team is something I'm proud to be a part of or watch.
Just like when players do things wrong or make mistakes and the organization feels the need to seperate themselves and their actions or intentions from a players, I feel the need to do the same with this team at this time. I care more about the players then some individuals within the FO and more specifically the coaching staff at this point in time.

Stay strong Bro and thanks again for the effort, you're a class act.

FTP (OpIv37 )

madness
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Then that should be directed toward Byrd.

Novacane
12-16-2010, 03:10 PM
The Bills can't have huge player turnover and expect to compete. .

Agree, Why would we want much turnover from a 3 win team.

DesertFox24
12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Troy P is making 7 plus a year.

Donte will easily get 4 mil a year.

X-Era
12-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I know it's from twitter, and the attitude by some fans towards it, when it comes to player tweets. But in this age, it's how a lot of info and thoughts get out there that otherwise wouldn't.

So, here ya go (from early this morning):

"Been up since 5 watching Dophins film...received some not so good info yesterday Bills fans..."

Could be just negotiating or overdramatizing things?! I thought they were working something out according to reports last week.

But an interesting note. According to the current CBA (or lack of one), Donte cannot be a UFA after this offseason, unless they simply decide to let him walk with no compensation, which is unlikely in that scenario. He'll only have 5 years service. When the owners opted out, it changed the rules to players needing 6 years. That can and very well will change with the next agreement. It could go back to 4 or just 5.

Also, he's actually under contract for next year at $1.9 mil. But that is a voidable year. So, I'm assuming he's voiding it.

There are a lot of scenarios here.We will need to hear the details on this one. If he thinks he's worth top 5 S money, he's nuts. But if he's looking for average starting money, we should overpay to keep him so as not to open up a new hole. No more playing cheapskate.

Nix talked about keeping our own, well, put your money where your mouth is.

X-Era
12-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a feeling that Donte is going to find out that the assessment of his value is way off between his camp and the rest of the NFL also. He probably thinks he's entitled to pro-bowl type money since he was a #8 overall pick after all.If were willing to pay what the rest of the NFL is, I have no problem in this statement. If the problem is on our end, I have a problem with us.

Beebe's Kid
12-16-2010, 04:08 PM
We will need to hear the details on this one. If he thinks he's worth top 5 S money, he's nuts. But if he's looking for average starting money, we should overpay to keep him so as not to open up a new hole. No more playing cheapskate.

Nix talked about keeping our own, well, put your money where your mouth is.

Agree.

We can't be stupid and open a whole, because we have to many to fill already. It becomes a catch 22 if the demands are nuts, because too much guaranteed money is a bigger hole that having to find a replacement, at times.

On the other hand, the people that act like you just go grab a FA are nuts. It not only helps cohesiveness to keep your own, but it is cheaper.

I bet this is just DW's emotional reaction to the situation, and I feel that Buddy and Chan are not going to want to start over at one of the few relatively strong positions. I bet we give him a contract, and then we get to hear how they overpaid for the length of it. That should be awesome.

They really can't make a good decision here can they? Fans will cry if they sign Whitner, despite the amount, because...well just because. Fans will cry if he leaves, and we have to sign a FA Safety to a large contract, because that is what you have to give FA's...you have to be the highest bidder, and there are a lot of teams worse of at Safety than us.

The one that would send the fans into a frenzy would be if they had to DRAFT a Safety!! Could you imagine??

:popcorn:

X-Era
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Agree.

We can't be stupid and open a whole, because we have to many to fill already. It becomes a catch 22 if the demands are nuts, because too much guaranteed money is a bigger hole that having to find a replacement, at times.

On the other hand, the people that act like you just go grab a FA are nuts. It not only helps cohesiveness to keep your own, but it is cheaper.

I bet this is just DW's emotional reaction to the situation, and I feel that Buddy and Chan are not going to want to start over at one of the few relatively strong positions. I bet we give him a contract, and then we get to hear how they overpaid for the length of it. That should be awesome.

They really can't make a good decision here can they? Fans will cry if they sign Whitner, despite the amount, because...well just because. Fans will cry if he leaves, and we have to sign a FA Safety to a large contract, because that is what you have to give FA's...you have to be the highest bidder, and there are a lot of teams worse of at Safety than us.

The one that would send the fans into a frenzy would be if they had to DRAFT a Safety!! Could you imagine??

:popcorn:That exactly it.

This bad team, 3 win team, needs to learn to have your cake and eat it to. Sign him to average starting S pay, maybe even top 15 S pay to keep him here and solidify the spot. The turn right around in the next few years and draft a guy to push him. If he ends up on the bench, keep him there to add quality depth. If he develops further, we are underpaying. And if he ends up just being solid, we still have a solid S starting for us.

The dumbest thing to do is just let him walk unless his demands are huge. Why open up a whole new hole on an already bad team? Why end up spending a draft pick on a S when you have one that knows the system and is playing it solidly?

I would be fine with letting him leave if we planned to add a player who will be a significant improvement right away... that's a FA, and that means more money than we would spend on Whitner in the first place. The draft is a crap-shoot.

Let him go if you have a significantly better option right now or plan to add a option proven to be significantly better right away. A quick stroll through the potential FA's at SS tells me there won't be a proven better option. So, the history on the way we typically handle these things in FA says we won't take that route. That makes us worse, not better.

Mr. Pink
12-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Fans will cry if Donte leaves. They'll need a new whipping boy.

Ed
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
If were willing to pay what the rest of the NFL is, I have no problem in this statement. If the problem is on our end, I have a problem with us.
I agree. I don't want to see Donte leave and I would be surprised if the Bills aren't willing to give him fair market value, or slightly more, but if Donte is claiming that the two sides are far a part I would tend to believe that Donte is overvaluing himself.

HAMMER
12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
It's a negotiation guys, don't overanalyze it.

JCBills
12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I pointed out how Wilson's play last season was better than any season Donte has had. B. Scott also did very well when filling in. Don't really need Whitner.

Extremebillsfan247
12-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Whitner already knows how the Bills front office play this game of contract negotiations as he was here when the whole Peters fiasco went down. He probably isn't going to get the money he thinks he deserves here.

OpIv37
12-16-2010, 06:27 PM

Listen to the link. He kept mentioning finding out his true value (dollar amount and everything else) outside of Buffalo.

Personally I think it puts the Bills in a bind. You bet Nix and Gailey does not want to create another hole and Donte is probably above average overall and is a great leader. But I will not put him into the Polamalu or Reed even Wilson category. The thing is the Bills put themselves into a little hole in terms of Kelsay's contract. If they over-pay Donte, then they pretty much have to over-pay everyone else who comes along.

Really? The ****ing leadership thing again? What makes Donte a great leader?

I keep asking this over and over again, and all I get is "he let McKelvin sleep on his couch when McKelvin was a rookie."

Really? I've let both my brothers, my sister in law, my dad and two college buddies sleep on my couch while they found jobs in the area. Where are my kudos for leadership?

My wife has a long commute. My buddy and his fiance live close to where she works, and sometimes she crashes with them if she has a late night and/or an early meeting. Where are their kudos for leadership?

This "Donte Whiter is a great leader" nonsense is just an urban legend. It's been repeated as fact so many times that no one questions it (except me), but there is no actual evidence supporting it.

OpIv37
12-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Troy P is making 7 plus a year.

Donte will easily get 4 mil a year.

Whitner would be doing himself a great disservice if he used Troy P as a benchmark. If you pro-rate Troy's salary to Donte's level of play, he'd get about a million tops.

X-Era
12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
You want to impress us Whitner? Play lights out now that you apparently have received bad news. But if you come out and play half assed it will simply show that you are a baby and I have no interest in keeping someone like that.

You have 3 games left to step up... Go.

X-Era
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM

It sure does. You want the luxury of underpaying players, become a good team where no one wants to leave.

If not, you may have to overpay.

No other team should be willing to pay more than us. Not when you're this bad. You may have to pay extra just to get players to sign up. The rest of the league sets the price, not our cash to crap plan.

JD
12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
He seems above average on a team of misfits, but average players deserve average salary.

Romes
12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Really? The ****ing leadership thing again? What makes Donte a great leader?

I keep asking this over and over again, and all I get is "he let McKelvin sleep on his couch when McKelvin was a rookie."

Really? I've let both my brothers, my sister in law, my dad and two college buddies sleep on my couch while they found jobs in the area. Where are my kudos for leadership?

My wife has a long commute. My buddy and his fiance live close to where she works, and sometimes she crashes with them if she has a late night and/or an early meeting. Where are their kudos for leadership?

This "Donte Whiter is a great leader" nonsense is just an urban legend. It's been repeated as fact so many times that no one questions it (except me), but there is no actual evidence supporting it.

You, your buddy and his fiance are great leaders!

OpIv37
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
You, your buddy and his fiance are great leaders!

Thank you- that's all I ever wanted. Now that I have closure, my one-man campaign against Donte Whitner can finally end.

Romes
12-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you- that's all I ever wanted. Now that I have closure, my one-man campaign against Donte Whitner can finally end.

:lol:

Funny stuff.

I won't be sad to see him go. Frankly, even if he is a top 10 safety in the league, this team needs new blood, players that aren't used to losing.

OpIv37
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
:lol:

Funny stuff.

I won't be sad to see him go. Frankly, even if he is a top 10 safety in the league, this team needs new blood, players that aren't used to losing.

couldn't agree more.

snow1989
12-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Donte is strictly an average player at best...perhaps even a bit sub-par. In his career he's had 5 interceptions, 1 sack, 3 fumble recoveries....over 66 games. Not exactly the type of production that gets big bucks. Buffalo may have low-balled him..after-all it is Ralph...but most likely his 'self-worth' to the team is a bit inflated as it gets with most pro's these days.....He's serviceable, and for the correct money and contract, sure, keep him as a back-up...but no big dollars...and look to upgrade.

Night Train
12-17-2010, 05:50 AM
I like Whitner unlike many here...but I would not overpay for him.

Let him tweet until his fingers hurt. Means nothing. He should just let his agent do his job.

k-oneputt
12-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Does it really make a difference if he is out there playing ? If the converted wr plays he will do the same things Donte does on Sunday.

trapezeus
12-17-2010, 08:58 AM
i would think a real team leader would keep his contract negotiatiosn to himself and not "sulk" around the locker room after a practice and chat about this stuff with the press as whitner did in a Blo news article.

kelsay sucks, but you didn't hear much about this until they signed the papers.

T-Long
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I say let him walk if he finds a huge deal somewhere else, if not re-sign him to a reasonable contract. It's not the end of the world if he indeed walks, there are some good safeties in the draft. The likes of Quinton Carter, DeAndre McDaniel, Hagg, Williams, etc. (I only listed some seniors b/c I'm not sure who is staying or coming out this year. For juniors, there are some good ones as well. Moore, Barron, Hill, etc.) We'll be just fine at safety either way.

psubills62
12-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I have a feeling Whitner will get a good idea of his "true value" once he finds out what other teams would be willing to offer him.

Figster
12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Why not let another good defensive secondary player slip away, its what we do best.:anvil:

Figster
12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I have a feeling Whitner will get a good idea of his "true value" once he finds out what other teams would be willing to offer him.

Kind of like Jason Peters, right...

psubills62
12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Kind of like Jason Peters, right...

? Not sure where the comparison comes in there..

better days
12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I say let him walk if he finds a huge deal somewhere else, if not re-sign him to a reasonable contract. It's not the end of the world if he indeed walks, there are some good safeties in the draft. The likes of Quinton Carter, DeAndre McDaniel, Hagg, Williams, etc. (I only listed some seniors b/c I'm not sure who is staying or coming out this year. For juniors, there are some good ones as well. Moore, Barron, Hill, etc.) We'll be just fine at safety either way.

I'm with you. I am happy he thinks the Bills are low balling him. If he gets a big contract somewhere else great, the Bills will get a comp pick in return.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
shut the **** up donte, you ****in' blow.

Buddo
12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I quite like Whitner as a player. I believe he's decent.
I don't believe he deserves 'silly' money.
I don't believe he will get 'silly' money elsewhere.
Whitner is not a true 'difference maker', like Polamalu and Reed, and there is no way he will get either the money that they can command, or the respect they get either.
While he has been willing to play all sorts of 'roles' in the Secondary, probably to his own detriment as a straight Strong Safety, he still doesn't actually make enough plays, to warrant anything other than a respectable contract.
I'd prefer he re-signed with the Bills, but I wouldn't think twice about paying any sort of 'premium' for him to do so.
If he does hit the open market, I think the Bills would be wise to think about matching any 'solid' offer he gets, providing it isn't the 'silly money'.
While Whitner may not make that many 'plays', neither does he make that many mistakes, and there's definitely a decent amount of value in that in a player at his position.

Ginger Vitis
12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
? Not sure where the comparison comes in there..

The Bills didn't think Peters was worth $ 10 Million a season and the eagles did

psubills62
12-17-2010, 11:10 PM
The Bills didn't think Peters was worth $ 10 Million a season and the eagles did

And now, it seems, most people believe that $10 million investment was not a wise one.

Several big differences between the two. 1) Peters didn't hit FA. 2) Whitner has never sniffed a Pro Bowl, reputation-based or not. 3) This time even people who aren't Bills fans agree that overpaying for Whitner is a poor choice. 4) Peters plays an important position that we're typically weak at, Whitner does not.

I have a hard time believing that another team would be willing to pay Whitner what he seems to think his "true value" is. And he's disagreeing with guys who just paid Kelsay what....$6 million per year?