For those of you who are fine with Fitz as starter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

For those of you who are fine with Fitz as starter...

Just a little Patriots history as they prepare for another SB run.

2010 Team has 1 starter remaining from the 2001 SB winning team. Guess who.

2007 16-0 Team had 4 starters remaining from the 2001 SB winning team, 2 on O and 2 on D.

We could do the same thing with the Colts.

I would love a QB that we can rotate role players around for the next 15 years.

Bummer the stars and the moon and the sun has to be perfectly aligned to find one.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: For those of you who are fine with Fitz as starter...

For those who like to look at this stuff.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Its not like QB's like that are easy to find. There have been two in the last 15 years. One was obvious the other was buried in the 6th round.

How many other top pick QB's have busted?

A look at the QBs selected in the first round from 1992-2001 shows that the buyer needs to beware.

18 First round QB's from 92 to 01, How many won a super bowl? Two. Manning and Dilfer.

From 2002-2008 20 Qb's have been taken in the first round. Two have won super bowls Eli Manning and Rothlisberger.

Of this list you can argue that three of the four QB's who have won a super bowl actually won the game on defense, Baltimore, NYG and Pitt.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by King Bedard
        Its not like QB's like that are easy to find. There have been two in the last 15 years. One was obvious the other was buried in the 6th round.

How many other top pick QB's have busted?

A look at the QBs selected in the first round from 1992-2001 shows that the buyer needs to beware.

18 First round QB's from 92 to 01, How many won a super bowl? Two. Manning and Dilfer.

From 2002-2008 20 Qb's have been taken in the first round. Two have won super bowls Eli Manning and Rothlisberger.

Of this list you can argue that three of the four QB's who have won a super bowl actually won the game on defense, Baltimore, NYG and Pitt.
        This is not what he was looking for...you were supposed to bash Fitz, not bring all kinds of facts and stuff.

Kurt Warner was pretty ****ing good too...oh wait...everybody knew about him too...damn it. Once in a lifetime story, right? Never happen to us, right? Well, you're right, why don't we just go the easy route and get a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning?

We should probably just have Fitz hung, and not get another QB, until we can clone Jim Kelly and wait for him to grow up and get the 4-5 years of pro experience it took before we started really winning. If this isn't an option, we are just never going to be happy.

Fitzy scored a 49 on the Wonderlic, and had a 1580 on his SAT's. That doesn't mean anything, right? What it would mean to me, if anybody was going to be able to take his situation and learn and shape a game that would allow him to be successful, I'll take a shot on that guy. This, actually, is almost exactly what he's done. If everybody "knows" he is just a backup, you better call him, before he keeps getting better, because he isn't aware.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

At this point, unless we manage to get a stud QB (I'm not just talking about this year, I'm talking about during the next 3-4 years), the best route seems to be grabbing a mid-round guy, let Gailey and Fitz develop him, and wait to see what happens. A mid-round pick will not preclude the team from drafting a top QB if he falls into their laps, or from trading up to get a stud.

I think most reasonable people have accepted that Fitz is not a QB who can win Super Bowls, especially with a rebuilding team. However, it does seem that he's good enough (in Gailey's system, at least) to captain the boat and make sure it doesn't sink while we build the pieces around him. Then once the pieces are finished (core is drafted and signed), do everything possible to get a QB who will lead us to the promised land.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Lucky
            Junior Zoner
            • Dec 2010

The QB is the cornerstone of a franchise. Typically teams with the best ones enjoy eras of success:

Bills - Kemp, Kelly
            Greenbay - Star, Favre
            Pats - Brady
            Colts - Unitas, Manning
            Cowboys - Staubach, Aikman
            Broncos - Elway
            Saints - Brees
            Steelers - Bradshaw, Rothlisberger
            etc. etc. etc.

Sorry but Fitz is nothing special, merely adequate, a solid backup at best.

We need to quit missing and find the next Jim Kelly. Period.

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lucky
              The QB is the cornerstone of a franchise. Typically teams with the best ones enjoy eras of success:

Bills - Kemp, Kelly
              Greenbay - Star, Favre
              Pats - Brady
              Colts - Unitas, Manning
              Cowboys - Staubach, Aikman
              Broncos - Elway
              Saints - Brees
              Steelers - Bradshaw, Rothlisberger
              etc. etc. etc.

Sorry but Fitz is nothing special, merely adequate, a solid backup at best.

We need to quit missing and find the next Jim Kelly. Period.
              ...but it doesn't end with the QB. Those teams also have a good HC/QB marriage for a number of years. Knoll, Landry, Lombardi, Belichek, Dungy, etc.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I heard someone on the radio compare Fitz's current play to that of Chad Pennington and I agree. Could be a playoff qb but not a sb qb and both their arms are questionable.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Lucky
                  Junior Zoner
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                  ...but it doesn't end with the QB. Those teams also have a good HC/QB marriage for a number of years. Knoll, Landry, Lombardi, Belichek, Dungy, etc.
                  Agreed. The great coaches were smart enough to get the best QB available and groom them to greatness. Fitz, under the best of coaches, would never be anything more than adequate. I love his passion, but he is what he is.

Comment

• Lucky
                    Junior Zoner
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    I heard someone on the radio compare Fitz's current play to that of Chad Pennington and I agree. Could be a playoff qb but not a sb qb and both their arms are questionable.
                    Sounds about right to me.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Are we all of a sudden going to make a deep playoff run within the next three years?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I'm not sure why people say Fitz lacks arm strength. He seems to have a lot of zip on his passes, when he needs to. I wouldn't compare him to Pennington (noodle arm). I'd say his arm is avg, at worst.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                          I'm not sure why people say Fitz lacks arm strength. He seems to have a lot of zip on his passes, when he needs to. I wouldn't compare him to Pennington (noodle arm). I'd say his arm is avg, at worst.

Just saying if there's a qb I would compare Fitz to, Chad comes closest. Both smart but the weakest part in their game is their arm. Fitz has an average arm at best.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

I couldn't disagree more. If there's a knock on Fitz, it's his accuracy wains at times, not his arm strength.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                              I couldn't disagree more. If there's a knock on Fitz, it's his accuracy wains at times, not his arm strength.
                              accuracy would be an arm problem wouldn't it?
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X