PDA

View Full Version : SI.com re-does the 2010 draft

seanbillsfan
12-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Buffalo Bills (Original pick: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson)
RE-DO PICK: LeGARRETTE BLOUNT, RB, OREGON
The Bills thought they were selecting the draft's best running back when they chose Spiller ninth overall, but that's not how the story has worked out so far. Spiller hasn't been able to beat out Fred Jackson, and lately a hamstring injury has limited him. Instead, Blount (667 yards, 5 touchdowns) and New Orleans rookie Chris Ivory (683 yards, 5 touchdowns), both of whom went undrafted, have been the league's top two rookie rushers. We're giving the Bills the more powerful Blount, because we love the idea of him bludgeoning his way through defenses in the AFC East, not to mention the chill of another Buffalo winter.

I don't agree

Novacane
12-17-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't agree either. I guess SI does not know we did not need a running back. We only took Spiller because he was supposedly "BPA". If we could redo the draft knowing what we know now the pick would not be Blount.

Jan Reimers
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I guess I'm just an incurable optimist, but I'm not giving up on Spiller yet.

Pinkerton Security
12-17-2010, 07:17 AM
1) I dont think we should have drafted a RB anyways...I would have us take Pouncey if we could re-do it
2) If we WERE gonna draft an RB, Im fine with Spiller over Blount...Blount is solid but so is Fred Jackson...Spiller has the home run potential whereas Blount to me is not going to get much better than he is now. My thoughts might be terribly homerish but whatever, if we are drafting an RB just because why not get the one with more potential?

THRILLHO
12-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Redo = Dez Bryant.

Or Bulaga.

superbills
12-17-2010, 07:22 AM
This is dumb (the article, not the thread). So they're saying that instead of taking the de-facto BPA we should have taken someone who went undrafted in the top ten of the first round? New Orleans finds a gem who is running in a much more established offense and they think that Blount would have had the same success with the Bills? Classic hindsight reporting which any hack "journalist" could do.

And I agree with Jan...Spiller has the talent and the skills to be a dynamic playmaker. With a more established offense, stability, and a better feel for the NFL game, I think Spiller still has a chance of being a breakout player in this league. Provided, of course, the coaches understand his limitations and use him appropriately.

Ingtar33
12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
This is dumb (the article, not the thread). So they're saying that instead of taking the de-facto BPA we should have taken someone who went undrafted in the top ten of the first round? New Orleans finds a gem who is running in a much more established offense and they think that Blount would have had the same success with the Bills? Classic hindsight reporting which any hack "journalist" could do.

And I agree with Jan...Spiller has the talent and the skills to be a dynamic playmaker. With a more established offense, stability, and a better feel for the NFL game, I think Spiller still has a chance of being a breakout player in this league. Provided, of course, the coaches understand his limitations and use him appropriately.

That sentence alone is why taking him in round 1 was a giant mistake. You don't draft guys in the top portion of round 1 who are "limited" in how they can be used (Not to mention this is exactly how fins fans defended Ted Ginn his first 2 years)

period.

when the bills took spiller i was a little pissed... the reasoning was simple, in College, spiller was basically Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush is just a less capable Tiki Barber (Tiki Barber was basically a small fast 3rd down back, up until he trained himself into an every down back); less capable in the sense he's yet to make the jump into being an every down back. If the best we can hope for from spiller is he'll turn into tiki barber in 5 years, we really blew that pick. Throw in the fact that speed fades, fast players tend to not play when their hammy is tweaked, and we didn't need a RB (not to mention we already blew 2 round 1 picks on RBs in the last 7 years... )

I want spiller to turn into Chris Johnson... if he does then the sting of wasting that pick on Spiller when we had so many other needs will fade away... a little bit.

T-Long
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
To be blunt, I think that is a ******ed pick. Could you imagine if we took Blount over Spiller? The Bills would have never heard the end of it. Spiller has not gotten a lot of opportunities this season but was still the best player available at that point. I have no issue with the pick whatsoever. He will now have a full offseason to get ready for 2011. I expect big things out of him next season.

k-oneputt
12-17-2010, 08:09 AM
But, but, but, Blount wouldn't have been "good value" at the 9th pick.
The experts said so. That's why he was an undrafted free agent.
Another example why drafting a running back is a waste, especially a 1st round pick.

T-Long
12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Another example why drafting a running back is a waste, especially a 1st round pick.
He absolutely wouldn't have been good value at 9. Even if we didn't take Spiller, there were still very good players with more talent and promise then Blount. Also, you have to take his suspension into play as well. There is always talent out there who doesn't get drafted...hell, look at our WR core! A 7th rounder and 3 undrafted guys...but they can all be productive.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
spiller does not just have statistical value, we didnt just draft him to run for 1500yds... his presence on the field is enough to justify the pick... his speed changes the way defenses play us....

EDS
12-17-2010, 09:45 AM

I agree. If you take a running back in the first round that back needs to be all-pro good, otherwise you can pick up a more than capable back in a late round or as an undrafted free agent.

Current examples of late round picks and undrafted free agents doing well in the NFL

Arian Foster
Fred Jackson
Lagarrette Blount
Cory Ivory
Ben-Jarvis Green Ellis
Michael Turner
Ahmad Bradshaw
Peyton Hillis
Frank Gore
Mike Tolbert

Add in the fact that guys like Jamaal Charles, MJD. LeShon McCoy and Ray Rice were not first rounders, well, you get the picture.

EDS
12-17-2010, 09:48 AM
spiller does not just have statistical value, we didnt just draft him to run for 1500yds... his presence on the field is enough to justify the pick... his speed changes the way defenses play us....

Clearly that is reflected in the Bills performance this season.

Stewie
12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Spiller is a talent defenses must account for. Meaning, he's fast as hell and will burn your ass if you're not keyed in on him.

Whatever the reason he's not playing much, if he works his way onto the field, he will produce.

G Wolly
12-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I guess I'm just an incurable optimist, but I'm not giving up on Spiller yet.

I'm with you.

We obviously haven't implemented him into the offense as much as we were all hoping for.

Chan will find a way.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-17-2010, 10:31 AM
You kidding me?

Substitute one running back for another? And not an OT?

If anything, Jackson's proven that we didn't need to draft another RB in round 1.

Under his scenario, his top 2 OTs are gone, as is Dez Bryant (who, given the surprising amount of depth at the position we've seen so far, probably wouldn't be a good pick anyway).

If it were a re-do, I'd stick with my original suggestion of Bulaga.

k-oneputt
12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
He absolutely wouldn't have been good value at 9. Even if we didn't take Spiller, there were still very good players with more talent and promise then Blount. Also, you have to take his suspension into play as well. There is always talent out there who doesn't get drafted...hell, look at our WR core! A 7th rounder and 3 undrafted guys...but they can all be productive.

And why wouldn't Blount have been "good value" at #9 if Spiller was good value ?
Blount has obviously outplayed Spiller this year.
This "good value" is stupid anyways. A guy is "good value at the 20th pick but not at the 12th pick.
And we have guys like Maybin who can't even get on the field but he was "goodvalue". Bunch of bs.

ServoBillieves
12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Hindsight is 20/20.

seanbillsfan
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh and BTW, Spiller doesn't even get drafted in the 1st in the article

Night Train
12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
13 games into ones pro career must produce instant results.

That means O.J., Bruce Smith, Moulds and many more actually never amounted to anything.

Believe everything you read.

YardRat
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Give it another year or two, and then let's revisit it.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-17-2010, 08:39 PM
You kidding me?

Substitute one running back for another? And not an OT?

If anything, Jackson's proven that we didn't need to draft another RB in round 1.

Under his scenario, his top 2 OTs are gone, as is Dez Bryant (who, given the surprising amount of depth at the position we've seen so far, probably wouldn't be a good pick anyway).

If it were a re-do, I'd stick with my original suggestion of Bulaga.

dude you have to ask yourself who would make a bigger impact over his 5 year contract? spiller or a rt bulaga? spiller can dictate a certain defense, obviously his speed has changed how defenses play us...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
i agree that the spiller pick probably wasnt a need but there wasnt really any other option....

alohabillsfan
12-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Alohabillsfan re-do of the 2000 NFL draft. With the 194th pick in the 2000 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select Tom Brady, QB Michigan.!

seanbillsfan
12-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Alohabillsfan re-do of the 2000 NFL draft. With the 194th pick in the 2000 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select Tom Brady, QB Michigan.!
He prob would have went to the practice squad for a year and then we would have cut him

dannyek71
12-18-2010, 11:13 AM
The guy is the offensive version of Aaron Maybin

Mike
12-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Hindsight is 20/20.

I love all of the excuses. Using proper Hindsight we should have taken a position of need not a position of strength. Hindsight is taking the obvious player, choice, which is a Talent, not luck, so hindsight only plays an effect on those who do not know what they are doing. The top talent evaluators's hindsight seems a lot better, doesn't it?

Anyways, the obvious things was NOT to take Aaron Maybin over Orakpu and NOT to take Spliller at all. That would have been hindsight, then you could argue hindsight excuse. You can only argue hindsight on a players like Brady; who knew he would be that Great? No one, it was hindsight! But Maybin or even Spiller, many had predicted this! Hindsight was not to take those players...

Mike
12-18-2010, 12:55 PM
The guy is the offensive version of Aaron Maybin

At least both were Fast and had a Quick First Step

NOT THE DUDE...
12-18-2010, 02:15 PM
name who you would have taken besides spiller?

Mr. Pink
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
name who you would have taken besides spiller?

Dez Bryant.

If you want to blame me for using hindsight, look up some of my posts from months ago.

LtFinFan66
12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Oh and BTW, Spiller doesn't even get drafted in the 1st in the articlehow about a link to the article:idunno: Please

Mr. Pink
12-18-2010, 07:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/12/16/2010-nfl-draft-redux/index.html?eref=sihp

article

k-oneputt
12-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Dez Bryant.

If you want to blame me for using hindsight, look up some of my posts from months ago.

Don't pat yourself on the back. The last thing we need is a top-10 wr. Go get a clue.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Don't pat yourself on the back. The last thing we need is a top-10 wr. Go get a clue.

Oh we needed a Reggie Bush clone though? Got ya.

k-oneputt
12-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh we needed a Reggie Bush clone though? Got ya.

You got the wrong guy because I've think I've made it clear I wouldn't draft a wr or rb in the 1st rd.

See the Bills over the Dolphins today.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
I guess I'm just an incurable optimist, but I'm not giving up on Spiller yet.:clap: