X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seanbillsfan
    • May 2007

SI.com re-does the 2010 draft

Buffalo Bills (Original pick: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson)
    RE-DO PICK: LeGARRETTE BLOUNT, RB, OREGON
    The Bills thought they were selecting the draft's best running back when they chose Spiller ninth overall, but that's not how the story has worked out so far. Spiller hasn't been able to beat out Fred Jackson, and lately a hamstring injury has limited him. Instead, Blount (667 yards, 5 touchdowns) and New Orleans rookie Chris Ivory (683 yards, 5 touchdowns), both of whom went undrafted, have been the league's top two rookie rushers. We're giving the Bills the more powerful Blount, because we love the idea of him bludgeoning his way through defenses in the AFC East, not to mention the chill of another Buffalo winter.

I don't agree
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: SI.com re-does the 2010 draft

I don't agree either. I guess SI does not know we did not need a running back. We only took Spiller because he was supposedly "BPA". If we could redo the draft knowing what we know now the pick would not be Blount.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I guess I'm just an incurable optimist, but I'm not giving up on Spiller yet.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

1) I dont think we should have drafted a RB anyways...I would have us take Pouncey if we could re-do it
        2) If we WERE gonna draft an RB, Im fine with Spiller over Blount...Blount is solid but so is Fred Jackson...Spiller has the home run potential whereas Blount to me is not going to get much better than he is now. My thoughts might be terribly homerish but whatever, if we are drafting an RB just because why not get the one with more potential?

Comment

• THRILLHO
          This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
          • Feb 2009

Redo = Dez Bryant.

Or Bulaga.
          True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• superbills
            • Mar 2003

This is dumb (the article, not the thread). So they're saying that instead of taking the de-facto BPA we should have taken someone who went undrafted in the top ten of the first round? New Orleans finds a gem who is running in a much more established offense and they think that Blount would have had the same success with the Bills? Classic hindsight reporting which any hack "journalist" could do.

And I agree with Jan...Spiller has the talent and the skills to be a dynamic playmaker. With a more established offense, stability, and a better feel for the NFL game, I think Spiller still has a chance of being a breakout player in this league. Provided, of course, the coaches understand his limitations and use him appropriately.
            "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
            Ronald Reagan
            40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by superbills
              This is dumb (the article, not the thread). So they're saying that instead of taking the de-facto BPA we should have taken someone who went undrafted in the top ten of the first round? New Orleans finds a gem who is running in a much more established offense and they think that Blount would have had the same success with the Bills? Classic hindsight reporting which any hack "journalist" could do.

And I agree with Jan...Spiller has the talent and the skills to be a dynamic playmaker. With a more established offense, stability, and a better feel for the NFL game, I think Spiller still has a chance of being a breakout player in this league. Provided, of course, the coaches understand his limitations and use him appropriately.

That sentence alone is why taking him in round 1 was a giant mistake. You don't draft guys in the top portion of round 1 who are "limited" in how they can be used (Not to mention this is exactly how fins fans defended Ted Ginn his first 2 years)

period.

when the bills took spiller i was a little pissed... the reasoning was simple, in College, spiller was basically Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush is just a less capable Tiki Barber (Tiki Barber was basically a small fast 3rd down back, up until he trained himself into an every down back); less capable in the sense he's yet to make the jump into being an every down back. If the best we can hope for from spiller is he'll turn into tiki barber in 5 years, we really blew that pick. Throw in the fact that speed fades, fast players tend to not play when their hammy is tweaked, and we didn't need a RB (not to mention we already blew 2 round 1 picks on RBs in the last 7 years... )

I want spiller to turn into Chris Johnson... if he does then the sting of wasting that pick on Spiller when we had so many other needs will fade away... a little bit.
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-17-2010, 07:38 AM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• T-Long
                Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                • Sep 2003

To be blunt, I think that is a ******ed pick. Could you imagine if we took Blount over Spiller? The Bills would have never heard the end of it. Spiller has not gotten a lot of opportunities this season but was still the best player available at that point. I have no issue with the pick whatsoever. He will now have a full offseason to get ready for 2011. I expect big things out of him next season.
                Last edited by T-Long; 12-17-2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                  • Jun 2009

But, but, but, Blount wouldn't have been "good value" at the 9th pick.
                  The experts said so. That's why he was an undrafted free agent.
                  Another example why drafting a running back is a waste, especially a 1st round pick.

Comment

• T-Long
                    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                    Another example why drafting a running back is a waste, especially a 1st round pick.
                    He absolutely wouldn't have been good value at 9. Even if we didn't take Spiller, there were still very good players with more talent and promise then Blount. Also, you have to take his suspension into play as well. There is always talent out there who doesn't get drafted...hell, look at our WR core! A 7th rounder and 3 undrafted guys...but they can all be productive.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2010

spiller does not just have statistical value, we didnt just draft him to run for 1500yds... his presence on the field is enough to justify the pick... his speed changes the way defenses play us....

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                        I agree. If you take a running back in the first round that back needs to be all-pro good, otherwise you can pick up a more than capable back in a late round or as an undrafted free agent.

Current examples of late round picks and undrafted free agents doing well in the NFL

Arian Foster
                        Fred Jackson
                        Lagarrette Blount
                        Cory Ivory
                        Ben-Jarvis Green Ellis
                        Michael Turner
                        Ahmad Bradshaw
                        Peyton Hillis
                        Frank Gore
                        Mike Tolbert

Add in the fact that guys like Jamaal Charles, MJD. LeShon McCoy and Ray Rice were not first rounders, well, you get the picture.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                          spiller does not just have statistical value, we didnt just draft him to run for 1500yds... his presence on the field is enough to justify the pick... his speed changes the way defenses play us....
                          Clearly that is reflected in the Bills performance this season.

Comment

• Stewie
                            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                            • Aug 2002

Spiller is a talent defenses must account for. Meaning, he's fast as hell and will burn your ass if you're not keyed in on him.

Whatever the reason he's not playing much, if he works his way onto the field, he will produce.
                            Originally posted by Topdog
                            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                            Originally posted by mercyrule
                            I love Weiner.
                            Originally posted by mercyrule
                            also cheese

Comment

• G Wolly
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I guess I'm just an incurable optimist, but I'm not giving up on Spiller yet.
                              I'm with you.

We obviously haven't implemented him into the offense as much as we were all hoping for.

Chan will find a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X