PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tune in to ESPNU @ 3:30 SAT; my former QB starting D-III title game for Mt. Union

Coach Sal
12-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Not Bills-related, and an extension of a college thread I started earlier in the week, so I apologize......but Saturday afternoon at 3:30pm on ESPNU Mt. Union will play Wisconsin-Whitewater for the 6th straight year for the national championship.

In this game, the QB I coached 4 years ago in HS will (most likely) be starting for Mt. Union. His name is Matt Piloto (6-foot-6, drop-back passer). Matt is one of the finest young men I've ever had the pleasure of coaching. He was the only junior we've ever had in our program nemaed team captain. Comes from a great, supporting family, and has earned everything he's gained to this point through hard work. He went to USF in Tampa for a year before transferring to Mt. Union.

I am extremely proud of this young man and where is right now and hope he's able to take advantage of the chance before him!! If, for some reason, he falters, plays horrible, or his team loses, it will not diminish anything he has done. And I'll still be just as proud of him. He has the character to handle a championship win or loss the way every young player should.

Last week, in the semifinal, he came on in relief of the normal regular starter after one series and went 17/32 for 335 yards and 4 TDs. The regular starter hasn't practiced all week and has a boot on, so although nothing is official, it looks like Matt will get the call and a chance to take the Purple Raiders to their 11th national championship.

In HS, Matt threw for over 1100 yards and 21 TDs on a team that went 1-9. His final HS game of his career, he threw for 4 TDs and 295 yards, and we still lost. :(

Here are the highlights of the semifinal vs. Bethel last week (#13):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkH2o4fSpyw

DraftBoy
12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Further news on his starting chances...Spoke to people last night and this morning, Seaman (the injured starter) has not practiced all week and likely will not play. Nothing official of course but Id bet Piloto starts.

Mr. Miyagi
12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Go UW-Whitewater.

I used to live just 30 minutes from that school.

Dinky little crappy campus, hillbilly frat boys, average looking girls, dirty old town.

On that note: GO Mt. Union!!!

DraftBoy
12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Go UW-Whitewater.

I used to live just 30 minutes from that school.

Dinky little crappy campus, hillbilly frat boys, average looking girls, dirty old town.

On that note: GO Mt. Union!!!

This is the 6th consecutive year that UWW has met Mt. Union in the Stagg Bowl. UWW is on a two game winning streak.

Coach Sal
12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Bump. Let's go, Matt!!!

YardRat
12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Very cool, so far...I got home from some wrap-up Xmas shopping and Mt Union was down 10-0...Now it's 21-10, and your boy looks pretty good Sal. Nice pass for a first with the DT wrapped around him, and then a nice long bomb that followed.

PromoTheRobot
12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow. That Junior RB Coppage for UWW! A UDFA in 2012?

PTR

wmoz11
12-18-2010, 07:48 PM
As a former QB at a high-level D3 power... damn, those guys are good.

We beat 1-AA schools, but UW-Whitewater and Mt Union could beat good 1-AA schools.

EricStratton
12-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Just so I'm not mistaken did a D-III team win a playoff and play 15 games to claim the National title?

PromoTheRobot
12-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Just so I'm not mistaken did a D-III team win a playoff and play 15 games to claim the National title?

Every level of NCAA competition has a championship tournament....EXCEPT D1 Football! For some reason it can't work there.

PTR

SeatownBillsFan21
12-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Matt Piloto, a transfer from South Florida of the top-tier Bowl Subdivision, completed 17 of 32 passes for 335 yards and four touchdowns.