PDA

View Full Version : Should we go after Donovan McNabb???

Lucky
12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like the Skins are stupidly benching McNabb for Rex Grossman this weekend for their game agains the Cowboys. Speculation is he will be cut at the end of the season (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/rex-grossman-to-start-over-don.html).

Should we go after him? His stock will certainly be much less than what it was this past offseason. He's certainly better than Fitz and it would buy us a couple of years to upgrade the rest of the roster.

I see pros and cons either way. What do you guys think?

Pride
12-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Ummm no....

Lucky
12-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Ummm no....

Would you rather see us draft a QB in the first round. Please share your thinking here. Thank you.

Philagape
12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
He's certainly better than Fitz

At this point, no he's not.

Let's go after Favre while we're at it. Maybe Jeff Garcia.

Joe Fo Sho
12-17-2010, 09:08 PM
I can't have any opinion on this topic until I know taylor/zaius's viewpoint.

Lucky
12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
At this point, no he's not.

Let's go after Favre while we're at it. Maybe Jeff Garcia.

Oh come on, he certainly is better than Fitz. Favre is done, Garcia is now spending his days and more importantly his nights, enjoying his lovely wife.

http://lowposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/garcia.jpg

Joe Fo Sho
12-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Fitz has more touchdowns and less interceptions than McNabb this year. He's also significantly younger and plays on a worse team.

Please explain why McNabb would be a better option.

Lucky
12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Fitz has more touchdowns and less interceptions than McNabb this year. He's also significantly younger and plays on a worse team.

Please explain why McNabb would be a better option.

Fitz is a career backup at best. McNabb still has a few years left in him, perhaps more. Gailey is a QB guru who will get the most out of McNabb, certainly more than the dysfunctional Skins could ever muster.

McNabb is a stopgap who has a better arm than Fitz, more mobile and more savy.

Look beyond the stats, as the Skins are probably even worse than we are this year and McNabb is running for his life, his WR's are old and he has no running game. In addition their D is woeful, thus he is always playing catchup.

Buffalo Thriller
12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Fitz>McNabb and i hate Fitz with a passion..

better days
12-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh come on, he certainly is better than Fitz. Favre is done, Garcia is now spending his days enjoying his lovely wife.

Nice, much better than Dr. Taylors smileys.

Joe Fo Sho
12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Fitz is a career backup at best. McNabb still has a few years left in him, perhaps more. Gailey is a QB guru who will get the most out of McNabb, certainly more than the dysfunctional Skins could ever muster.

Look beyond the stats, as the Skins are probably even worse than we are this year and McNabb is running for his life, his WR's are old and he has no running game. In addition their D is woeful, thus he is always playing catchup.

Fitz is starting this year and probably next. Your constant labelling of him as a career backup is wrong. You don't backup anything you say with any sort of reasoning or logic other than 'cmon man, I'm right fitz sucks, it's obvious.' I am hoping Fitz starts for the Bills just to piss off the Fitz haters if for no other reason.

Lucky
12-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Fitz is starting this year and probably next. Your constant labelling of him as a career backup is wrong. You don't backup anything you say with any sort of reasoning or logic other than 'cmon man, I'm right fitz sucks, it's obvious.' I am hoping Fitz starts for the Bills just to piss off the Fitz haters if for no other reason.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Fitz. He's just not very talented. A solid backup though. Please dont forget he was beat out in training camp by none other than Edwards. Sure he is starting now, but virtually by defalut due to Edwards horrible play. He's better than Edwards, but not that much better.

Please tell me what it is you see in Fitz that makes you think he is so great.

As for my logic, look no further than his W-L record.

Joe Fo Sho
12-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Fitz. He's just not very talented. A solid backup though. Please dont forget he was beat out in training camp by none other than Edwards. Sure he is starting now, but virtually by defalut due to Edwards horrible play. He's better than Edwards, but not that much better.

When did I say he was great? Every damned Fitz hater thinks anyone defendingFitz thinks he's the next Joe Motana, FS. Fitz is a decent QB in Chan's system and we have problems elsewhere. Peyton went 3-13 his first year, they should've cut him? Calm down Taylor, you don't need to convince people here to think like you, it's not up to us. We know your opinion.

Lucky
12-17-2010, 10:09 PM
When did I say he was great? Every damned Fitz hater thinks anyone defendingFitz thinks he's the next Joe Motana, FS. Fitz is a decent QB in Chan's system and we have problems elsewhere. Peyton went 3-13 his first year, they should've cut him? Calm down Taylor, you don't need to convince people here to think like you, it's not up to us. We know your opinion.

Not sure why you are so angry, nor why you are referring to me as Taylor.
You and I simply disagree on Fitz. No big deal. You asked me to expand upon my opinion, which I have done.

Justifying Fitz by comparing him to Manning's 1st year? That's a stretch. Fitz is nothing more than a below average bus driver QB with passion. He was handed the position by default. If we really end up starting him next season, then we deserve whatever comes are way.

BidsJr
12-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Hell no on McNabb. Rush had him pegged correctly years ago.

Lucky
12-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Hell no on McNabb. Rush had him pegged correctly years ago.

I have mixed feelings about him. He certainly has more talent than Fitz will ever dream, but he is getting older. If we could get him cheap he would be an upgrade, but certainly not a long term option.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-17-2010, 10:35 PM
can we please stop saying fitz is a career backup, its very unusual for backups to have a td percentage that equals to almost 30 tds in a season... thats above average...

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I admit that fitz is playing above average this year but he almost always shows his true colors 5-10 times a game. I don't believe he will be able to continue playing above average for another year. In my opinion, fitz is and should be a back up and nothing more but the Bills do not have anyone better at the moment. Anybody that can't admit that needs to get an iq test to make sure their iq is above 75.

TrEd FTW
12-17-2010, 11:01 PM
McNabb is a bigger name and has had a much more accomplished career than Fitzpatrick, but that means absolutely nothing in 2010. Fitzpatrick is better now. So, no, the Bills shouldn't bother with McNabb. And lest we forget that Buddy Nix said in September that he's not a McNabb fan. And at this point, who can blame him?

TrEd FTW
12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
can we please stop saying fitz is a career backup, its very unusual for backups to have a td percentage that equals to almost 30 tds in a season... thats above average...

Scott Mitchell, Jeff Blake, Aaron Brooks, Derek Anderson, etc.

mikemac2001
12-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh come on, he certainly is better than Fitz. Favre is done, Garcia is now spending his days enjoying his lovely wife.

my night is ruined i envy you mr garcia

trapezeus
12-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Dr lucky found a new handle. He was very clever to combine luck and the letter y together. We are so impressed.

Philagape
12-17-2010, 11:34 PM
It's a lot easier to put someone on ignore than it is to create a new ID

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2010, 12:01 AM
i don't believe lucky is taylor, not yet at least. it's going to take a few obviously stupid comments.

G Wolly
12-18-2010, 12:04 AM
i don't believe lucky is taylor, not yet at least. it's going to take a few obviously stupid comments.

Maybe it's his alter, rational minded, ego.

Ed
12-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Didn't we all waste a lot of time having this same discussion last year? McNabb is now a year older and having his worst season ever. Do we really need to have this discussion again? The same coach that so many here wanted desperately to come to Buffalo to turn things around is benching him for Rex Grossman.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Scott Mitchell, Jeff Blake, Aaron Brooks, Derek Anderson, etc.

scott mitchell, jeff blake, aaron brooks put their teams in the playoffs...

derek anderson is the rare exception.

Beebe's Kid
12-18-2010, 02:39 AM
??? Instead of *****, same Fitz crusade, and same delusional thinking that younger preaching your case to anybody that could actually do anything about it.

Oh yeah...same result: BLOCK! BLOCK!

NOT THE DUDE...
12-18-2010, 03:15 AM
if fitz is just as good as jeff hostetler, jake delhomme, ron jaworski, frank reich, joe theisman, phil simms, brad johnson, trent dilfer, chris chandler, stan humphries, troy aikman, doug williams, mark rypien, doug flutie, joe ferguson, kerry collins, steve mcnair, eli manning, rex ****ing grossman, jeff garcia, steve bono, steve deberg,

then we have a chance to be really good with fitz, as long as we build a top 5 defense, specifically with a great pass rush along with a solid tough oline....

ddaryl
12-18-2010, 07:24 AM
NO

Johnny Bugmenot
12-18-2010, 07:57 AM
McNabb would be entering his thirteenth season. Considering how much mobility plays a role in his play, he's going to hit a wall eventually. Ask Mark Brunell.

X-Era
12-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Watched ESPN this morning and saw the McNabb story. I immediately thought we would see at least on post like this.

My take is this: He can be better than Fitz, but usually is now only about as good as Fitz. So what's the point. We need a franchise caliber QB, not another solid or average vet.

Skip this and draft your future.

paranoid
12-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Really? I can see making a case that Fitz makes some bad throws or otherwise not wanting to invest in him as the captain of a Super Bowl bound team, but why hate the guy "with a passion"? He's not a criminal psychopath or anything, like some other NFL players. He seems like a decent guy with great intangible leadership aspects and guts to me.

djjimkelly
12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Looks like the Skins are stupidly benching McNabb for Rex Grossman this weekend for their game agains the Cowboys. Speculation is he will be cut at the end of the season (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/rex-grossman-to-start-over-don.html).

Should we go after him? His stock will certainly be much less than what it was this past offseason. He's certainly better than Fitz and it would buy us a couple of years to upgrade the rest of the roster.

NO

Lucky
12-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Watched ESPN this morning and saw the McNabb story. I immediately thought we would see at least on post like this.

My take is this: He can be better than Fitz, but usually is now only about as good as Fitz. So what's the point. We need a franchise caliber QB, not another solid or average vet.

Skip this and draft your future.

I agree that we need to concentrate our full attention in getting our next franchise QB.

However, in the meantime, if the choice was McNabb or Fitz straight up, I would take McNabb over Fitz. I am not even a huge McNabb fan, but even at this stage of his career he has far more talent than Fitz.

Lucky
12-18-2010, 10:25 AM
if fitz is just as good as jeff hostetler, jake delhomme, ron jaworski, frank reich, joe theisman, phil simms, brad johnson, trent dilfer, chris chandler, stan humphries, troy aikman, doug williams, mark rypien, doug flutie, joe ferguson, kerry collins, steve mcnair, eli manning, rex ****ing grossman, jeff garcia, steve bono, steve deberg,

then we have a chance to be really good with fitz, as long as we build a top 5 defense, specifically with a great pass rush along with a solid tough oline....

The problem is Fitz is not nearly as good as any of those guys you cite, with the exception of Grossman, Chandler, and Bono. Not sure what point you are trying to make. I would put McNabb in the category of the QBs mentioned above. Closest comparison would be McNair IMO.

mrbojanglezs
12-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I agree that fitz is better than mcnabb at their respective times in their careers

X-Era
12-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree that we need to concentrate our full attention in getting our next franchise QB.

However, in the meantime, if the choice was McNabb or Fitz straight up, I would take McNabb over Fitz. I am not even a huge McNabb fan, but even at this stage of his career he has far more talent than Fitz.My problem is that any team that gets him will be doing so thinking he's all they need. I don't see that in McNabb. And why displace Fitz for another vet who probably won't get this team to the playoffs either? All you did was spend a bunch more money and screw up your chemistry to get similar results.

Lucky
12-18-2010, 10:38 AM
scott mitchell, jeff blake, aaron brooks put their teams in the playoffs...

derek anderson is the rare exception.

So what? None of these guys took their teams deep into the playoffs. Where are they today? All were bus driver QBs at best on solid teams. At best, that is all Fitz is. A compelling case could be made had each of these teams had a solid franchise team their chances of reaching the super bowl would have been much better. We need a real QB, not a bus driver.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-18-2010, 10:39 AM
The problem is Fitz is not nearly as good as any of those guys you cite, with the exception of Grossman, Chandler, and Bono. Not sure what point you are trying to make. I would put McNabb in the category of the QBs mentioned above. Closest comparison would be McNair IMO.

i disagree that fitz is not as good as the above mentioned... the point is if fitz is that good than we can have a chance at the superbowl

Lucky
12-18-2010, 10:41 AM
My problem is that any team that gets him will be doing so thinking he's all they need. I don't see that in McNabb. And why displace Fitz for another vet who probably won't get this team to the playoffs either? All you did was spend a bunch more money and screw up your chemistry to get similar results.

I think McNabb becomes much more affordable after this season. I also think he still has enough left in the tank to play well for another 3-4 years under the right system. This would buy us time to find, draft, groom a franchise QB. I would much prefer McNabb mentoring a franchise QB then Fitz. Gailey would get the most out of him. McNabb playing at his highest level versus Fitz playing at his highest level is not even a fair comparison. McNabb wins hands down. My point being is McNabb is a better short term stopgap than Fitz.

better days
12-18-2010, 11:10 AM

However, in the meantime, if the choice was McNabb or Fitz straight up, I would take McNabb over Fitz. I am not even a huge McNabb fan, but even at this stage of his career he has far more talent than Fitz.

At this stage of his career, McNabb has less talent than Fitz. As to mentoring a young QB, Fitz is smarter than McNabb, & is a great leader & teammate he will make a very good mentor.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2010, 11:33 AM
mcnabb most certainly does not have less talent than fitz. x-era is 100% correct though, why mess up the team's chemistry and spend a ton of money.

SABURZFAN
12-18-2010, 11:35 AM

no thanks

Dr. Taylor Zaius
12-18-2010, 11:35 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:monkeyp: :monkeyp:

better days
12-18-2010, 11:50 AM
mcnabb most certainly does not have less talent than fitz. x-era is 100% correct though, why mess up the team's chemistry and spend a ton of money.

Well, the numbers this year would suggest that at this point in his career, McNabb is not as good a QB as Fitz.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, the numbers this year would suggest that at this point in his career, McNabb is not as good a QB as Fitz.

if you think our o-line is bad, watch a redskins game. they are worse than putrid.

better days
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
if you think our o-line is bad, watch a redskins game. they are worse than putrid.

Well, when Fitz took over from Edwards, he made the line look much better. If McNabb is all that, he should do the same in Washington.

JCBills
12-18-2010, 12:12 PM

LOL

So for McNabb it can be blamed on the defense etc etc, but not for Fitz? Our D has been atrocious.

Lucky
12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
As to mentoring a young QB, Fitz is smarter than McNabb, & is a great leader & teammate he will make a very good mentor.

Please back this up with facts. Start with a side by side comparison of their career stats, along with a side by side comparison of of their career won lost records. Particularly interested on why you would say "Fitz is smarter than McNabb".

kelly2reed4six
12-18-2010, 01:41 PM

FFFFFFF NO!!!!!!!

kelly2reed4six
12-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Particularly interested on why you would say "Fitz is smarter than McNabb".

Fitz is smarter than EVERYONE....that's why! Literally, the guy is like the Einstein of football players.

Lucky
12-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Fitz is smarter than EVERYONE....that's why! Literally, the guy is like the Einstein of football players.

Do I detect a hint of sacrasm here? (LOL)
I must say, those who think Fitz is the answer certainly are passionate in their opinion and seem quite intolerate of those with a differing opinion?

Joe Fo Sho
12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Please back this up with facts. Start with a side by side comparison of their career stats, along with a side by side comparison of of their career won lost records. Particularly interested on why you would say "Fitz is smarter than McNabb".

Fitz was named one of the smartest athletes by sportnews, McNabb was not.

Jeff1220
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I've always been a huge McNabb fan. I would've loved to see the Bills pick him up last year. That said, after this season, I am sooooooo glad they didn't. I don't see how McNabb would ever have success on the Bills (vs. the AFCE) at this point in his career. That page has turned.
I couldhowever see how he might be able to do in Minnesota what Favre did the past few years, with their line and running game, but not in Buffalo.

tampabay25690
12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Why bother this team needs to look in the future

YardRat
12-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Is it too late for a Hell No?

And is that really Garcia's wife??

bluerosekiller
12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Damn, I can't believe all this hate for the guy that's pretty much responsible for keeping us from the horror of being 0-13 at this point.
Oh sure, there are those that will actually hold that against him because of the position it will cost us in the draft, but I'm not one of them.
Fitz has made this season one worth watching as opposed to just leaving the television off on Sundays.
No, three wins thus far isn't a lot, but we were "in" a lot more games than that & against some very good teams. So...
Some might use the old cliche about "handgrenades & horseshoes", but not me. After what we witnessed in weeks one & two, things could have been MUCH worse OMO. And other than maybe two other games after that, I've been entertained by the Bills this season. With much of that owed to Fitz's play.
So, personally, I'd like to see him given another year with a few more tools to work with.

Philagape
12-18-2010, 08:51 PM
They also need an upgrade at LB, so they should go after Shawne Merr.....oh, never mind.

better days
12-18-2010, 10:17 PM

The argument is not about how good McNabb was in the PAST. It is about how good he is TODAY & going forward to tomorrow.

If you look at the numbers this year Fitz is the better QB. I wonder how many games the Redskins would have won if they played the Bills schedule. As has been said already, a Harvard grad, Fitz is considered to be one of the smartest people in sports.

ServoBillieves
12-18-2010, 10:39 PM
too much bickering to sift through...

So no, no to McNabb. Whoever said Fitz wasn't talented is ignorant. Anyone else see him get rushed out of the pocket and turn it in to a first down? See him finding receivers and moving the chains? Did Trent do that? Nah, Fitz was Trent's backup... He can't be better.

But remember, since Fitz is a career backup (even though he's started numerous times) he doesn't have the tools, he doesn't get the deep ball to Evans, he can't run, and he doesn't spend time with his receivers during practice/other times.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

kelly2reed4six
12-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Do I detect a hint of sacrasm here? (LOL)
I must say, those who think Fitz is the answer certainly are passionate in their opinion and seem quite intolerate of those with a differing opinion?

He's a far cry from the answer, but he's certainly as good as McNabb at this point each of their careers.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2010, 10:58 PM
he doesn't get the deep ball to Evans

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

it's his job to spread the ball. not pass the ball to stevie j 80% of the time. it's fitz's fault that lee evans doesn't have any yards this year. he rarely passes to him.

Extremebillsfan247
12-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Look beyond the stats, as the Skins are probably even worse than we are this year and McNabb is running for his life, his WR's are old and he has no running game. In addition their D is woeful, thus he is always playing catchup.McNabb would get killed behind this Oline. He isn't the same QB you think he is. His career is about over, he would obviously cost more than Fitz would, and we don't need a stop gap because we already have one. Next...

El Guapo
12-19-2010, 08:30 AM

That's true, you really do hate Fitzy. Your feelings are misguided, but there's no doubt you do not want him in a Bills' uni.