PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stats?

X-Era
12-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Those of you that don;t want to look at stats or numbers on players, look away. For those interested in some over-analysis...

So, I've been looking at the high total tackle numbers for Poz and Whitner.

Poz is at 120 in 13 games.
Whitner is at 116 in 13 games.

I wanted to calibrate this to how often the defense is on the field. Are the numbers bloated because we can't get off the field?

Well, we average 31:57 in average opponent time of possession per game. That would extrapolate to 13 games*31:57 (lets call it 32)= 416 total minutes of opponent time of possession.

If I then take the total tackles and divide it by total time of possession, I should get a rate that Poz makes tackles.

Poz- 120/416= .288 tackles per minute of opponent possession
Whitner- 116/416= .278 tackles per minutes of opponent possession

OK, what's that worth? I think it may allow us to project what the total tackles would be on a good defense.

On a top 5 D, your looking at 28 minutes of opponent possession per game. Over 13 games thats 364 total minutes.

So, what would the projection of total tackles be if Poz and Whitner were on a top 5 team as far as opponent time of possession?

Poz- 364*.288= 104
Whitner- 364*.278= 101

Can this be read like this: Poz and Whitners high total tackles numbers are good and would still be very good even if we were able to get the defense off the field more.

Thoughts?