PDA

View Full Version : Shanny would have been the move

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 01:14 PM
On the NFL Network, they alluded to the fact that Shanny might be benching McNabb to get a better draft pick. That is a strategy many here should like.

I bet that the way he treated Haynesworth and McNabb will have veterans lining up to play for him...and if he is going in the tank, you can add just about every other competitive athlete to that list.

He truly is a football genius, and we could have had him here, if Ralph wasn't so cheap, and the weather was nicer, of course.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 03:42 PM
There is no way an NFL coach would sabatoge his team trying to get a better draft pick. That is both ludicrous and idiotic. Every week I watch the NFL network and every week they look like a bunch of morons.

YardRat
12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't put it past Shanahan.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Grossman just looked horrible out there today.

The way McNabb has played all year, Dallas wins that 30-10 if he starts.

BidsJr
12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
OR MCNABB IS OVERRATED in a massive way.

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
OR MCNABB IS OVERRATED in a massive way.It is hard to deny McNabb's accomplishments. What was all of the **** about the extension? Why go to the trouble? I think it might be Shanny who is overrated.

I never would have thought that they were tanking the season and would have said it was preposterous, but one thing I forgot to mention in the original post was how Faulk and Sapp acted like that was exactly what was going on. Now Faulk is the same guy that said Merriman was faking his injury, and that he would have done the same thing.

I know that you have to consider the source, but I thought it was interesting how flip they were being about dogging it to get a QB in the draft.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 06:52 PM
It is hard to deny McNabb's accomplishments. What was all of the **** about the extension? Why go to the trouble? I think it might be Shanny who is overrated.

I never would have thought that they were tanking the season and would have said it was preposterous, but one thing I forgot to mention in the original post was how Faulk and Sapp acted like that was exactly what was going on. Now Faulk is the same guy that said Merriman was faking his injury, and that he would have done the same thing.

I know that you have to consider the source, but I thought it was interesting how flip they were being about dogging it to get a QB in the draft.

His contract is essentially worth 3.5 million or something low like that. They gave McNabb the contract so it wouldn't be a distraction. Now, they essentially control his fate, if they want to. Mcnabb was the moron for signing it, IMO.

Faulk is a giant doucher and I hope Warren Sapp stabs him with Michael Irving.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
In other words, the contract looks big, but only 3.5 is guaranteed.

better days
12-19-2010, 06:58 PM
It is hard to deny McNabb's accomplishments. What was all of the **** about the extension? Why go to the trouble? I think it might be Shanny who is overrated.

Well the Skins gave up a 2nd rnd pick & a future pick for McNabb. Without the extension he would have been a free agent next year. I think Washington would like to recoup that 2nd from some stupid team if they can

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I guess the contract may have been a "smart" move by the Skins, especially when seen as a way to recoup some of their investment.

I have feeling McNabb will have a good year if he can escape Washington.

Shanahan has tarnished his legacy, and his boy could run an offense with McNabb running the show... Maybe McNabb isn't what he once was, but he is nowhere near as bad this year would indicate.

Jeff1220
12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I read an article somewhere that theorized that Shanahan was tanking the season not for a better draft pick, but because he wants Snyder to fire him. It said that now that he's seen how bad of shape that team is actually in, he's not up to the task to fix it. Sorry, no link - can't remember where it was from, and it was all speculation anyway.

jamze132
12-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Yeah, Shanny pulled McNabb to lose out and get a better draft pick. :rolleyes:

McNabb was doing enough loosing prior to his benching to warrant a higher pick.

BillsFever21
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm glad we didn't get Shanahan. I didn't want him when there was previous talk about the Bills speaking with him before we hired Gailey. He's overrated if you ask me.

His late Denver teams started off good but tanked in the last half of the season almost every year and this will be like the 5th straight year he hasn't made the playoffs as a HC. Outside of when he had John Elway his teams haven't really been very successful. He's a great offense coach and good at grooming QB's but very overrated as a HC.

elltrain22
12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd rather have Gailey. Shanny is overrated as hell.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I am thinking Shanny is sitting there and thinking he should have taken that Buffalo job.

PromoTheRobot
12-23-2010, 01:10 AM
On the NFL Network, they alluded to the fact that Shanny might be benching McNabb to get a better draft pick. That is a strategy many here should like.

I bet that the way he treated Haynesworth and McNabb will have veterans lining up to play for him...and if he is going in the tank, you can add just about every other competitive athlete to that list.

He truly is a football genius, and we could have had him here, if Ralph wasn't so cheap, and the weather was nicer, of course.

Don't smoke that crap that Mily Cyrus smokes. It'll rot your brain.

PTR

ServoBillieves
12-23-2010, 02:42 AM
I liked Shanny's approach in Denver: Build an offensive/zone blocking line that a crippled child can rush for 1000 yards behind with a mediocre quarterback until you can find the answer at QB.

OH wait, he never found the answer.... Was his name McNabb? Oh.... no there's no RB in Washington now...

It's Grossman time.

Yeah... No answer. He could've had Fitzpatrick/Jackson/Spiller, but he doesn't. Could have are huge words. So this makes this thread not Bills related. Shifted to the NFL side of the board?

Bill Cody
12-23-2010, 08:45 AM

With all due respect, have you watched any of the Skins games this year? McNabb has been TERRIBLE. His footwork and mechanics, never great, have regressed and he is not throwing accurately, period. And Mike Shanahan is hard on QB's. He had the great Elway and he won with him and since then he's looking for greatness and not finding it. Jake Plummer played a HELL of a lot better for Mike than McNabb did this year and Shanny dumped him, remember? Or was Shanahan tanking then too? BTW, Rex Grossman's 4 TD performance Sunday was better than anything McNabb has done all year.

Bill Cody
12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Here's my opinion about Shanahan and coaching in general.

Mike is in big trouble in Washington and his troubles have much less to do with McNabb and how he's been handled and a lot more to do with the cancer that is Albert Haynesworth. Washington has an owner that wants to win and thinks the way to do it is write big checks. It hasn't worked and it won't work. They cut Haynesworth a $21m bonus check in April and then Albert said he didn't want to play NT, even though he was told that was the plan before he cashed the check. Since then Haynesworth has been a complete dog and has seriously undermined Shanny.

But beyond that Washington's roster is just not that good, pretty similar to ours talent wise. Coaches can install a scheme and they can get their players to play smart and play hard. But in the end talent is needed. Bellichick is back to being a genius again but mostly because of the talent they've picked up in the last 2 years. A great coach is worth maybe three wins a year, that's huge but what do you do if you're starting with 4 win talent? I still think Shanahan is a good coach but the snowball is going the wrong way in Washington and I'm not sure he can stop it.

Beebe's Kid
12-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Here's my opinion about Shanahan and coaching in general.

Mike is in big trouble in Washington and his troubles have much less to do with McNabb and how he's been handled and a lot more to do with the cancer that is Albert Haynesworth. Washington has an owner that wants to win and thinks the way to do it is write big checks. It hasn't worked and it won't work. They cut Haynesworth a $21m bonus check in April and then Albert said he didn't want to play NT, even though he was told that was the plan before he cashed the check. Since then Haynesworth has been a complete dog and has seriously undermined Shanny.

But beyond that Washington's roster is just not that good, pretty similar to ours talent wise. Coaches can install a scheme and they can get their players to play smart and play hard. But in the end talent is needed. Bellichick is back to being a genius again but mostly because of the talent they've picked up in the last 2 years. A great coach is worth maybe three wins a year, that's huge but what do you do if you're starting with 4 win talent? I still think Shanahan is a good coach but the snowball is going the wrong way in Washington and I'm not sure he can stop it.

This was Shanny's method, once he was given the reigns, in Denver. It is right up his alley.

I don't necessarily feel that is what exactly is going on...I happened to see the piece on the NFL Network, and since throwing games for a pick was pretty popular sentiment around here. It also happened to be a coach that many pined for that is going down in flames, in several public feuds with veteran superstars.

McNabb has played poorly...I know about it first hand, as he cost me the first few weeks of fantasy. However, you would be the only person that knew Rex Grossman was going to throw for 4 scores.

McNabb, when I referenced his accomplishments, I mean his track record with Philly. He had, arguably, a career year last year, stats wise. There were also many that wanted Donovan to come to Buffalo, which also made it pertinent.

Bill Cody
12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
This was Shanny's method, once he was given the reigns, in Denver. It is right up his alley.

I don't necessarily feel that is what exactly is going on...I happened to see the piece on the NFL Network, and since throwing games for a pick was pretty popular sentiment around here. It also happened to be a coach that many pined for that is going down in flames, in several public feuds with veteran superstars.

McNabb has played poorly...I know about it first hand, as he cost me the first few weeks of fantasy. However, you would be the only person that knew Rex Grossman was going to throw for 4 scores.

McNabb, when I referenced his accomplishments, I mean his track record with Philly. He had, arguably, a career year last year, stats wise. There were also many that wanted Donovan to come to Buffalo, which also made it pertinent.

For the record, I did not want Mcnabb here and said so. He's had success but he's well into the back nine of his career. Washington's OL issues haven't helped him but he has also not worked hard enough to master a new system. I actually think Fitz is every bit as good a player for our team. I only mentioned Grossman because he actually made Shanahan's decision to bench Mcnabb look good. Grossman is not very good either. I wasn't pining for Mike Shanahan here. I respect him as a coach but he may well be burned out, coaching in the NFL is a young man's game for most. But the idea that he was tanking is absurd.

justasportsfan
12-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Both Shanahan and McNabb didn't want to come to buffalo. They deserve each other and the mess they are in.

Go Gailey !!! Go Fitz!!!!!