PDA

View Full Version : Twitter rumor: Donte wants 7 mil per, Bills offer 5.

BillsWin
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
JoeB_WGR
Mark Gaughan of The Buffalo News reporting that the #Bills and Donte Whitner are as much as $2 million apart.in negotiations...

JoeB_WGR Joe Buscaglia
Gaughan also reporting that they're hearing Whitner was getting offered around $5 million a year by the #Bills, and could want $7 mill.

I know I'm in a minority but I'd give him 5.5 to 6. To be honest, I think he is playing some of his best football right now. He is actively involved against the run and as witnessed today he is becoming more involved in blitz packages.

He's no Polamalu, but he is a solid starter and there really is no reason to make more holes on this roster.

He gets a lot of hate because of his draft position and lack of interceptions or "big plays" but he does make some third and short stops no one talks about, and lately has been very solid all around.

I say pay the guy and keep our secondary more or less together so we can focus on getting mean up front to get to the QB.

clumping platelets
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Let him go.............he's not worth elite safety money

NOT THE DUDE...
12-19-2010, 01:45 PM
let him go and pick up eric weddle...

psubills62
Whitner wants 7 million? Let him walk.

BW, who's to say he'll even accept 5.5 to 6 million? Obviously 6 seems to be a compromise, but in my opinion, 5 million per year for a safety who has played about 16 total games worth of average football is more than generous.

While the contracts were signed several years ago, Ed Reed is signed for just over 7 million per year, and Polamalu is being paid 6.6 million per year. No freaking way Whitner is worth more than 5 million a year.

BillsWin
Let him go.............he's not worth elite safety money

Haters gon' hate as the kids say. I just don't want to keep creating holes by letting players go who are not the weaknesses in the depth chart.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 01:46 PM
The Buffalo News states Whitner is looking for top 5 safety money.

:rofl:

BillsWin
12-19-2010, 01:46 PM

BW, who's to say he'll even accept 5.5 to 6 million? Obviously 6 seems to be a compromise, but in my opinion, 5 million per year for a safety who has played about 16 total games worth of average football is more than generous.

While the contracts were signed several years ago, Ed Reed is signed for just over 7 million per year, and Polamalu is being paid 6.6 million per year. No freaking way Whitner is worth more than 5 million a year.

Allow me to rephrase. I'd OFFER 5.5 to 6. Try to negotiate with incentives and hope he bites. 7 may be overkill.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Haters gon' hate as the kids say. I just don't want to keep creating holes by letting players go who are not the weaknesses in the depth chart.

Its not creating a hole when we can easily replace him

dannyek71
12-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The guy cannot cover worth crap

Philagape
12-19-2010, 01:56 PM
7 may be overkill.

HATER!!

clumping platelets
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM

But you do not pay elite money to a player that does not deserve it. Also, who says that the Bills couldn't acquire another player who can replace via draft, FA, or trade

X-Era
12-19-2010, 02:00 PM
IMO, don't pay elite pay. But, we should resign him even if it's for a mill more than we should per.

I think it's in the middle of negotiations and we will end up keeping him when his demands drop a bit.

wmoz11
12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm fine with 6. Salaries aren't guaranteed, as we all know, so it's really not that big of an issue. The guaranteed money is where bad deals get made.

Buffalogic
12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
lol 7 million per...adios Donte Tazer.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 02:12 PM

While the contracts were signed several years ago, Ed Reed is signed for just over 7 million per year, and Polamalu is being paid 6.6 million per year. No freaking way Whitner is worth more than 5 million a year.I agree he isn't. But this is a bad team that will struggle to get solid FA's to come here and I don't want to use a draft pick on a SS with so many other needs.

That's why I say we should pay the ****ty team surcharge and keep the position filled. Go up to maybe 6 per, which I agree is about a 1 mill overpay, but let's not open a new hole. I think he can be had for 5.5.

This is his 1st year in this defense and he's played this well. Maybe he just needed to be in the right defense.

Add a draftee in a year or two to push him.

tampabay25690
12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
$5 mill per is reasonable but to get $7 mill per...You can walk....

psubills62
12-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree he isn't. But this is a bad team that will struggle to get solid FA's to come here and I don't want to use a draft pick on a SS with so many other needs.

That's why I say we should pay the ****ty team surcharge and keep the position filled. Go up to maybe 6 per, which I agree is about a 1 mill overpay, but let's not open a new hole. I think he can be had for 5.5.

This is his 1st year in this defense and he's played this well. Maybe he just needed to be in the right defense.

Add a draftee in a year or two to push him.

Despite Wilson being listed at FS, he's fine at SS. We should be able to find backups easily enough. Honestly, I'm with OBD on this one, 5 million is as high as I would go. While I don't want to open up holes, dumping 6 million per year into a below average safety is not how I'd like to use the money.

trapezeus
12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
before i make a call, i'd have to ask, "is there a realy $7MM safety as a free agent this year?" If the bills could upgrade at $7mm as opposed to keeping a mid level player, they should consider the option.

T-Long
12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
5 mil per season is just about right....take it or leave it Donte

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
A few factors here:

1. Donte is playing his best ball right now.

2. How many FAs as good or better than Donte will come here?

3. Do we want to waste a draft pick on a player to come in and be as good as Whitner who is already set in this defense when we have other key needs?

4. How many SS in the NFL are better than Whitner? I would say that Whitner is in the top 7 in SS. Also, teams all over the league struggle to find SS who are also good in coverage and in space.

I think people are so clouded by his draft position that they fail to recognize how good he is. He is currently the leader among DBs in the NFL for tackles and his game is evolving in this defense. Plus he is a high character guy and although many feel he shows it too much, he cares about this team.

I say overspend a little and keep him.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
A few factors here:

1. Donte is playing his best ball right now.

2. How many FAs as good or better than Donte will come here?

3. Do we want to waste a draft pick on a player to come in and be as good as Whitner who is already set in this defense when we have other key needs?

4. How many SS in the NFL are better than Whitner? I would say that Whitner is in the top 7 in SS. Also, teams all over the league struggle to find SS who are also good in coverage and in space.

I think people are so clouded by his draft position that they fail to recognize how good he is. He is currently the leader among DBs in the NFL for tackles and his game is evolving in this defense. Plus he is a high character guy and although many feel he shows it too much, he cares about this team.

I say overspend a little and keep him.Exactly.

YardRat
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd do 7mil per season, as long as the contract is very heavily back-loaded so we don't ever actually pay him that much and we can cut him after a couple of seasons when the rookie we draft is ready to step into the line-up. IMO the kicker is going to be the upfront bonus money.

Novacane
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Not wanting to over pay is being a hater? Overpaying so you don't create a hole is something you do at QB, LT, maybe a stud WR or big pass rusher. You don't overpay for an average to slightly above average saftey. That kind of player can be replaced. 5 mil is a fair offer. 5.5 is the max they should go.

justasportsfan
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
forget that give the money to KYLE NOW!!!!

X-Era
12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Not wanting to over pay is being a hater? Overpaying so you don't create a hole is something you do at QB, LT, maybe a stud WR or big pass rusher. You don't overpay for an average to slightly above average saftey. That kind of player can be replaced. 5 mil is a fair offer. 5.5 is the max they should go.I don't disagree with your numbers.

But on a 4 win team, you can't afford to add new holes, and you may have a big problem attracting the talent you need to get significantly better.

It's the ****ty team surcharge. The FO should have been dropping money in a kitty for each screw up they made over the past decade... they should have plenty to overpay so that they don't open up a new hole.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Someone explain to me how not resigning a guy who makes zero impact plays, can't cover and takes poor routes/angles to tackle a ball carrier is creating a hole?

X-Era
12-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Someone explain to me how not resigning a guy who makes zero impact plays, can't cover and takes poor routes/angles to tackle a ball carrier is creating a hole?OK, 1 minus 1 equals, zero.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 04:56 PM
OK, 1 minus 1 equals, zero.

Signing middle of the pack Safety in FA = no hole

psubills62
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Someone explain to me how not resigning a guy who makes zero impact plays, can't cover and takes poor routes/angles to tackle a ball carrier is creating a hole?

Honestly, I'd have very, very few qualms about simply grabbing a couple of UDFA safeties and putting them on the roster. I doubt there would be that much dropoff even if they were forced into action.

Historian
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Whiffner missed a half dozen tackles today by my count.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Signing middle of the pack Safety in FA = no holeI'm not going back and forth with you on this man. Adding some second tier or worse SS out of FA is getting worse, not better. You and I tend to disagree about how good or bad a player is. I don't think he's elite, but I think he's better than you are giving him credit for.

And I'm tired of losing decent players that we drafted. Time to end that trend. This is a 4 win team afterall.

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 05:06 PM
We don't need Whitner!! Wilson had an interception today!!! Besides we need FO draft our elite "franchise" safety. We should be able to draft our Palamolu in the 2nd or 3rd. We have to draft our Tom Brady and our Clay Matthews first. I only have one little request, that our Troy be injury free...since TP misses important time every year, and his team suffers without him.

I say Whitner is top 10. So if we let him walk we better get an upgrade. There will only be 2/3 of the league trying to get a guy like that...other teams don't have as many holes, and will be able to give more money to the position.

If we let Whitner walk, we'll feel it.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm not going back and forth with you on this man. Adding some second tier or worse SS out of FA is getting worse, not better. You and I tend to disagree about how good or bad a player is. I don't think he's elite, but I think he's better than you are giving him credit for.

And I'm tired of losing decent players that we drafted. Time to end that trend. This is a 4 win team afterall.

And he's part of the reason this is a 4 win football team.

He was a guy who was drafted with the intent of making a difference and an impact.

He does neither of those.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Much like Tim Anderson was.

mikemac2001
12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Not worth 7 mill

can't even believe he is asking for top 5 money

New Ro's Greatest
12-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Wait so your telling me Haters are going to hate cause the guy isn't worth elite safety money? You have to learn when to use that phrase lol. GO BILLS:bad:

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Whiffner missed a half dozen tackles today by my count.
lol. That's funny. Guy has over 115 tackles and you call him Whiffner.

That's like calling Brady "Choker" and "Little" Pat Williams.

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
And he's part of the reason this is a 4 win football team.

He was a guy who was drafted with the intent of making a difference and an impact.

He does neither of those.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Much like Tim Anderson was.
Wow you have no clue about football.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow you have no clue about football.

This coming from the guy who thought Lynch was elite and the best catching RB in the NFL.

Whatever dude.

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 06:11 PM
This coming from the guy who thought Lynch was elite and the best catching RB in the NFL.

Whatever dude.
I love how you manipulate that statement every time you use it. Which is every time you get called out for making ridiculous statements, which is often.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I love how you manipulate that statement every time you use it. Which is every time you get called out for making ridiculous statements, which is often.

And oh yeah, we couldn't afford to lose him either right?

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Another point to keep in mind. Antrell Rolle picked up 7.4 mil per season last year. I'd take Whitner over Rolle any day and that shows how highly NFL teams are valuing safeties these days with the evolution of the passing game.

A safety who is comfortable in space AND is a good tackler is a premium.

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
And oh yeah, we couldn't afford to lose him either right?
Actually I was fine with trading Lynch.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Another point to keep in mind. Antrell Rolle picked up 7.4 mil per season last year. I'd take Whitner over Rolle any day and that shows how highly NFL teams are valuing safeties these days with the evolution of the passing game.

A safety who is comfortable in space AND is a good tackler is a premium.It's fine to sign someone like Cornell Green to 2-3 mill per and end up cutting him, but we can't spend an extra mill on a guy who's here, proven, and getting better?

I mean we spent 2X to 3X more than the 1 mill were arguing about on a guy who we replaced with an un-drafted. Let's put that extra 1 mill in perspective here.

DynaPaul
12-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Pass! Top 5 money my ass.

Billz_fan
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Pass, Let him go !

NOT THE DUDE...
12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
let him go, we can pick up tim zbiokowski, or eric weddle...

jamze132
12-20-2010, 03:42 AM
No way in hell is Whitner worth $7M per year!!! Need or no need, you are handicapping our already thin budget on giving that much money to an over-rated SS. Bryan Scott and George Wilson can do just as good a job as Whitner for a lot less.

Historian
12-20-2010, 04:58 AM
He's a piece of trash that would be second or third on anybody else's depth chart.

And I'm for letting the bulk of the jauron era players walk.

They have a losing mentality.

X-Era
12-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Whitner is currently the only S in the top 10 for total tackles.

tampabay25690
12-20-2010, 06:00 AM

X-Era remember backs already ran for 20 yards before he makes the tackle too....
I will say our D has played better since going back to the 4-3 and Kelsay has been much better.
Whitner has been the leader of the D but $7 mill per not that good......

X-Era
12-20-2010, 06:06 AM
X-Era remember backs already ran for 20 yards before he makes the tackle too....
I will say our D has played better since going back to the 4-3 and Kelsay has been much better.
Whitner has been the leader of the D but $7 mill per not that good......I wouldn't pay him 7 mill... but 6? yeah I think this team should. Backload it, lots of incentives, and do it. Truth be known, I think he can be had for 5.5.

Forward_Lateral
12-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Whitner has been the leader of the D but $7 mill per not that good......

In Whitner's defense, you can only make tackles near the LOS if you aren't playing 20 yards off of it to start. It's not his fault the scheme has him so far back. He has been making some big plays as of late, and part of that is due to the fact that he's in the box before the snap.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Geez, here you go again letting facts get in the way of other posters' entrenched, outdated, never-changing opinions.:chug:

trapezeus
12-20-2010, 08:58 AM
$7mm seems steep. unless the bills are locking him in for like a 6 year contract and the $7mm is on the back end....The way the salaries increase, in 3 years time, he'll be underpaid.

I'd rather have him at $5MM. He is just one part of the piece in the secondary. i don't see him being that much more valuable than the other secondary members.

And remember, whatever you cite as being whitner's strengths, george wilson and bryan scott will be able to say they do just as much and deserve just as much cash.

whitner still drops easy INTs, he still takes bad angles, and his top ten tackles are typically not lights out hits on receivers, but the third man in on a 5-10 yard run where he slides over the top. That's not hating...that's truth.

Again, he's fitzpatrick of the defense. he has a role on the growth of this team, but he isn't a star. It's just easier to find SS replacements in this league than it is to find QBs.

Novacane
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM

That is not a good thing. He get's a lot more opportunities because the front 7 suck. Good for Whitner for making the tackles when they get to him but a lot of safeties would be up there in tackles if they were playing behind our LB's.

Novacane
12-26-2010, 01:54 PM
OMG this guy sucks. Please Nix, PLEEEAAAASE create another hole.

psubills62
12-26-2010, 01:57 PM
And this is during a CONTRACT YEAR, when guys are supposed to play their absolute best. At this point, Whitner doesn't even deserve the 5 million per year offer.

Mahdi
12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
OMG this guy sucks. Please Nix, PLEEEAAAASE create another hole.
Again, no one can cover that long. Especially against Brady and a guy who was one of the best TEs in college last year.

Your criticism should be directed at the front 7 who are having a shocker.

Novacane
12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Again, no one can cover that long. Especially against Brady and a guy who was one of the best TEs in college last year.

Your criticism should be directed at the front 7 who are having a shocker.

Whitner is average. He can't cover a TE and has proven that all season long.

Mr. Pink
12-26-2010, 02:04 PM
He did a good job watching Gronkowski!

Mahdi
12-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Whitner is average. He can't cover a TE and has proven that all season long.
That is the nature of TEs all over the league. You think Buffalo is the only place where TEs catch the ball?

Yes we give up more completions to TEs but that also has to do with the fact that we have no athletes in the LB unit that can cover.

A big fast TE is a challenge for any safety and when you allow the QB so long to throw he will find the TE easily.

Mahdi
12-26-2010, 02:05 PM
He did a good job watching Gronkowski!
No hurries, no sacks, no knockdowns on Brady.

Novacane
12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with you our front 7 stinks. That does not change the fact that Whitner is an average player. No need to resign him.

Mr. Pink
12-26-2010, 02:08 PM
No hurries, no sacks, no knockdowns on Brady.

Keep up the excuses!