PDA

View Full Version : Spoon healthy or not??

Demon
06-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know the status of Brandon Spoon? Is he healthy or still hurt from the injury he had last year? Will he have a impact as a reserve player this season? How much will he play?

When we drafted him i thought highly of him but with his injury i dont know if he can regain his telent again just like Corey Moore after he was shot in the leg.

I just don't like our depth, esspicially at LB if Posey doesn't play well or if one of our 3 starters at LB get hurt.

Doc
06-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Funny you should ask that. Read this:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030618/2018794.asp?2018794.asp

Hopefully he'll be able to make using the 3-4 a possibility.

Turf
06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Brandon is healthy as of 6/18/03. Don't hold your breath.
Don't get me wrong, I like the kid. But he can't seem to play a complete season.

Demon
06-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Doc
Funny you should ask that. Read this:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030618/2018794.asp?2018794.asp

Hopefully he'll be able to make using the 3-4 a possibility.

lol thanks man.

Man i guess i should read the paper before posting stuff and sounding dumb huh :drinker:

venis2k1
06-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Im not as scared about our depth at LB as i am at OL. We have Spoon, Crowell, Polk, Anthony Denman, Dominique Stevenson, and Super Mario Haggan(who may turn out to be a steal in the 7th round)

Turf
06-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Both lines are a concern to me, especially Center and DE.

Tatonka
06-18-2003, 10:00 PM
spoon, crowell, polk, and haggan will stick.

Jan Reimers
06-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Spoon could be our starting MLB in the not-too-distant future. I'm not sold on Fletcher, whose reputation exceeds his game.

ryven
06-19-2003, 09:59 AM
I agree with travis hunter we could use a couple of more DE's

Tatonka
06-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Spoon could be our starting MLB in the not-too-distant future. I'm not sold on Fletcher, whose reputation exceeds his game.

how does setting an all time bills record for tackles = his reputation exceeds him?

Jan Reimers
06-20-2003, 05:44 AM
149 is the all time record?

Doc
06-20-2003, 07:02 AM
According to the Bills, Fletcher had 209 tackles. While that number doesn't jibe with the STATS, Inc. number, the Bills track their players' tackles and likely overestimated the previous record holder's (Chris Spielman) tackle totals as well.

Turf
06-20-2003, 07:17 AM
Fletcher was almost a one man show last year. People need to cut him some slack.

WG
06-20-2003, 07:35 AM
Yeah, "according to the Bills", uhhuh! "According to the Bills" Robinson was gonna help us out last year too!

According to ESPN he had 149, only 108 solo and according to the NFL he had even fewer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=tack&league=nfl&season=2&year=2002
http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/TAC/2002/regular

Either way, the best way to look at him is in how well he played as compared to other MLBs.

I agree w/ JR. His reputation exceeds his game. Given how poor our DL was he should have had more given the opps and I personally saw him miss quite a few tackles and even get shed off on at least a dozen occasions by RBs and other players.

We'll find out for sure this season though. Like I've said, our team is solid enough so that no player will be able to blame their shortcomings on any other aspect of the team.

As to depth for our LBs, Haggan, a 7th round rookie? I don't care if he was a 7th round steal or not, if he has to start, we're hurtin' this year. Crowell, same thing. Besides, at 6'0"/233 as a rookie, he'd be lucky not to end up looking at the clouds on most plays. Denman? Who! Polk? You mean that huge playmaking LB who's been on the team for two seasons?..., oh, wait... :rolleyes:

Spoon is our depth in the middle, after that, just like the OL, we'll be hurtin' if we lose Spikes or Posey. Not that I expect Posey to be all that, but he's better than what we have in depth.

If Spoon gets injured again this season, then he needs to be released.

Our DEs are fine except for starters. Same for out DTs where both starters and depth are excellent. All we have is backups at DE, what we're really missing is a starter but I'm sure of Irons or one of the other 4/5 options something will emerge. :scared: LOL

Our three biggest depth concerns in rank order are:

OL, LB, WR

But we have a very solid if not top starting rotation for each assuming Posey works out.

WG
06-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Fletcher was almost a one man show last year. People need to cut him some slack.

If Fletcher had been a one man show then he would have logged even more tackles since just about everyone got thru to him at some point.

All I remember is seeing him slow to the sidelines and too often getting shed off by players smaller than he was. That's what disappointed me most about his play is seeing smaller RBs running right through him as he couldn't get a grab to make the tackle. That simply shouldn't happen for a MLB. I only remember a dozen or so times that that happened, but a dozen is too many and I'm sure I missed a few.

Doc
06-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Here are the Pro Bowlers from last year and their tackles, total(unassisted):

Urlacher: 152(119)
Brooking: 140(114)
Quarles: 113(79)
Thomas: 156(123)
Wilson: 132(103)
Edwards: 129(104)

Fletcher: 149(108)

Out of those, only Urlacher (4.5) and Wilson (5.0) had more sacks than Fletcher (3.0).

And it's not like Fletcher had a good pair of DT's in front of him absorbing blockers and slowing down RB's so that they don't have a head of steam running at him.

cordog
06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Wys, Fletcher was 3rd in the NFL in tackles behind only Urlacher and Thomas. So to have "only" 149 tackles is 3rd best in the league

Jan Reimers
06-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Wys is right. With our relatively poor DL, and our nonexistet OLBs, a blind dwarf should have made 150 tackles. I think LF is a good player, not a great one.

Doc
06-20-2003, 05:55 PM
How do you figure? With a poor DL and non-existent OLB's, the opponent's O-linemen can concentrate on the few threats, i.e. Williams, Schobel, and Fletcher.

colin
06-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Spoon isn't one half the player London is.

John Doe
06-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Spoon healty or not? Right now he's healthy. Later, maybe not. Lots of criticism directed at our backup LB's. They did not get much opportunity to play last year, so they are hard to judge. I did see Denman make a number of tackles on special teams - that was his rep coming here. I believe he made the active roster each week (could be wrong on that). If you are a backup LB, you have got to be able to contribute on special teams. Can't see Hagan making the team this year - maybe practice squad. Great competition at LB this year.

venis2k1
06-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Haggan was a GREAT value pick, I was shocked to see him there, i had him as one of the better MLBs in the draft(well maybe not, but i had him better than Crowell, but what do it know?)

Demon
06-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Haggan was a GREAT value pick, I was shocked to see him there, i had him as one of the better MLBs in the draft(well maybe not, but i had him better than Crowell, but what do it know?)

Yeah but you're putting alot of pressure on a guy who is on the small side and hasn't even been thru 1 training camp. I like your positive thinking, but i think we need to see how he plays before considering him as a good player for depth at LB.