PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is our DC Edwards "growing into" the job?

bluerosekiller
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
While winning four of our last six games ( & coming OH SO close to actually being 5-1 during this stretch ) has our defense finally come into it's own a bit?
We seem to have actually generated a bit of a pass rush out there & guys like Kyle Williams & Arthur Moats are making more & more plays.
So, my question is, is this just a matter of the players gelling together as a unit & rising to the occasion or has the defensive playcalling improved as well?

After seemingly being on a slippery sloap job-wise the first half of the season, has Edwards turned things around enough to be safe?
Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Well the last two weeks can certainly be attributed to playing against bottom feeder caliber QBs. Before that Tarvaris Jackson lit us up. Let's see how we handle an explosive Pats offense next week.

Buffalogic
12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Hire Wade as DC in the offseason. That would be a sick combo Gailey and Wade.

YardRat
12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
He does seem to be getting a feel for the team's blitzing capabilities. Kind of a Catch-22 for me...I love seeing the defense playing better as the year progresses, but then again I'd snag Fox to take over the second he's cut loose in Carolina.

YardRat
12-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I'd hire Wade before Fox, also, but after Ralph tried to screw him out of his contract he'll never return here unless Wilson is 6 feet under.

psubills62
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
The run D has done better. The D overall has done better. I really did not like Edwards during the first half of the year, but he's headed an improved D in the second half.

I wouldn't shed a tear to see him replaced with someone better. However, I also am not against seeing him work with what should be a little more talent next year.

PromoTheRobot
12-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I think that it's more like the players had to grow into the scheme.

PTR

hydro
12-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Just ask some around here, he is CLUELESS!!!!

I am not going to say he is the man but he is looking more than competent with players that are getting used to the scheme.

TigerJ
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
It may be that Edwards has always been a competent DC, but the Bills have taken some time to really get comfortable with the nuances of what Edwards wants him to do so they aren't having to think. Now they can let their natural athleticism and reflexes work. I still think the transition will require more personnel changes to be complete though.l

Extremebillsfan247
12-20-2010, 02:15 AM
While winning four of our last six games ( & coming OH SO close to actually being 5-1 during this stretch ) has our defense finally come into it's own a bit?
We seem to have actually generated a bit of a pass rush out there & guys like Kyle Williams & Arthur Moats are making more & more plays.
So, my question is, is this just a matter of the players gelling together as a unit & rising to the occasion or has the defensive playcalling improved as well?

After seemingly being on a slippery sloap job-wise the first half of the season, has Edwards turned things around enough to be safe?
Thoughts?

Thanks. I think it has more to do with the players growing into their rolls. They don't have to think as much when they know their responsibilities in the 3/4 which allows their talents to shine. That is what I think is happening and why they are improving week after week. JMO

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 02:57 AM
yeah i think edwards can be solid as a d coordinator with more talent next year....

jamze132
12-20-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm still not sold on George Edwards as DC of the Buffalo Bills.

trapezeus
12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
best thing about the bills staff this year is their ability to say, "i'm wrong, let's change"

Gailey did it with Trent
Edwards did it with the 3-4
They did it with kelsay as an OLB
They did it with fred jackson (although i suspect that was more thepolitics of moving marshawn than their real feeling on Jackson).

Jauron never did this. Same plays over and over again. Underperforming josh reed stays on the team his entire tenure because he blocks well.
3rd and short, CB were off receivers by 10 yards.

I suspected edwards was tasked with an impossible scenario. change the defense with a poor 4-3 unit and make them a 3-4 unit. But he seems to have found a hybrid for the time being and they'll grow into the 3-4 through drafts and free agency.

Mahdi
12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I like Edwards, even when the team was struggling it seemed as if they weren't far off.

It's more like the players have grown into his system.

OpIv37
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I think it's a combination of things:

1. Playing lesser offenses
2. Players getting used to the system.
3. Rookies improving over the course of the year (Moats, Carrington)
4. Edwards himself.

I'm still not convinced that Edwards is the right man for the job, but I think he's bought himself one more year.

Night Train
12-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I've been a harsh critic of the guy but if you don't have the players, Buddy Ryan in his prime won't make any difference.

A DT and 2-3 more LB's are sorely needed for anyone to succeed.

trapezeus
12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
one thing that really stands out for edwards is the number of time i've read bills players say, "we knew exactly what they were doing."

The offensive players have said the same thing.

in years past i got a sense, the team had no idea what was happening.

ZacGriffi~82
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
It's definitely not inconceivable that a rookie DC would have to learn on the job. I mean even experienced coordinators do a little trial and error with their personnel. He's having to do trial and error with not just personnel but scheming too. Yeah it sucks that we were in the position to have to hire someone so inexperienced but hey we have already worked are way through the growing pains, might as well hang on another year to see if we get the payoff.

edit: and i think the fact that the players are growing into the positions and understanding what they're doing on the field is a good sign in terms of Edward's ability as a DC. He deserves some credit for that.

baalworship
12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Bills need pass rushers. We should select 2 in the first 3 rounds as this is our biggest weakness and we have to play Brady twice a year.

Beebe's Kid
12-20-2010, 12:42 PM

This sounds good...until the first loss. Then you have every fan screaming to fire Chan and let Wade run the show. Chan is always looking over his shoulder, and Wade is gunning for the glory. Players get torn between them, etc.

The chemistry would be bad, I feel. Good thing we never have to worry about this. RW ****ed with Wade's money...never **** with a man's money.

The team is getting more comfortable all around. The coaches are getting a much better feel for what they have, and they are working well together.

Chemistry on this team is good, right now. I don't think enough can be said for them still having chemistry after how the season started...look at the fans reaction. The fanbase was torn, more that the normal, and extremely frustrated. People were talking about mailing it in, etc...not the players/coaches.

I think they really feel they are on to something. That is the mental side that we definitely have been lacking for 10 years.

Of course, this will all start over when we replace 17 players on the defense, which is what many posters are proposing.

This point is one of the main in favor of keeping Whitner/Poz.

ublinkwescore
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd hire Wade before Fox, also, but after Ralph tried to screw him out of his contract he'll never return here unless Wilson is 6 feet under.

Stranger things have happened.

If wade became convinced we had a superbowl caliber O in the making, he might sign here for a shot at a ring.

Damn I can't wait til next season.

BertSquirtgum
12-20-2010, 09:20 PM

wade will never come back here after ralph ****ed him over but it was be absolutely amazing if he did come here as the d-cord.

NorthCarBills
12-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I think so, and as others said, the players are adjusting and doing much better in his system (which is what most of us wanted to see as the season ends...improvements across the board). We've definitely seen it on both sides of the ball, and with a few more defensive additions in the offseason, I think they can stay on track with Nix's three year vision.

p.s. The Giants meltdown the other night didnt show well of Fewell, though that was more of an anomaly. But geeze.