PDA

View Full Version : Kiper projects top 10

T-Long
12-19-2010, 05:11 PM
It's on ESPN Insider, so here is the Bills' part"

Buffalo Bills
Top needs: LT, QB, OLB, WR
Pick strategy: Oh, to have last year's first-round pick back. I like C.J. Spiller and still think he can have a great career, but given where Buffalo was he felt like a luxury pick in the Top 10, and he still does. The Bills needed a left tackle and still do. The problem: There isn't one with a grade worthy of taking here. Nate Solder is my highest-rated O-lineman (currently No. 17), and it's hard to imagine a re-evaluation of the tape and workouts will get one of the current O-lineman into the Top 10. If the Bills stay here, Green could be a star, and maybe they take a breathtaking talent such as Patrick Peterson. Perhaps they fall in love with a guy such as Ryan Mallett or even Cam Newton, but those guys are not guarantees for a pick this high. The Bills might be best-suited to trade down and get their tackle later. They could go a lot of directions at this spot.

I disagree. Bell is doing just fine at LT. I would have no problem with a defensive pick or Mallett or Newton. Pass on Green even if he is a potential star, because we have plenty of capable WRs.

mikemac2001
12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
i think our line has been a lot better since trenitive was replaced

though the vikings made us look bad

X-Era
12-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Buffalo Bills
Pick strategy: Oh, to have last year's first-round pick back. I like C.J. Spiller and still think he can have a great career, but given where Buffalo was he felt like a luxury pick in the Top 10, and he still does. The Bills needed a left tackle and still do. The problem: There isn't one with a grade worthy of taking here. Nate Solder is my highest-rated O-lineman (currently No. 17), and it's hard to imagine a re-evaluation of the tape and workouts will get one of the current O-lineman into the Top 10. If the Bills stay here, Green could be a star, and maybe they take a breathtaking talent such as Patrick Peterson. Perhaps they fall in love with a guy such as Ryan Mallett or even Cam Newton, but those guys are not guarantees for a pick this high. The Bills might be best-suited to trade down and get their tackle later. They could go a lot of directions at this spot.

I disagree. Bell is doing just fine at LT. I would have no problem with a defensive pick or Mallett or Newton. Pass on Green even if he is a potential star, because we have plenty of capable WRs.I agree man.

Bell has done a solid job and a very good job in some games. I think he's just fine there. RT is an issue and Id like a guy in the draft to upgrade it. Carimi is the guy I covet but I think he's long gone before our 2nd rounder. I think he goes bottom half of round 1.

Mallett and Newton will be in consideration at 6 IMO. Especially if Bowers is gone (he will be) and Dareus is gone (he may be). I'm not as high on Fairley as some, and at that point, I think QB comes back into the picture. Especially since Newton is on the rise, and Mallett just needs to show teams he has the attitude and maturity to lead an NFL team.

On Kiper, I like his takes on players more than some do, but he also has shown a propensity to not do his homework on teams when projecting where they may go in the draft. But if you look at Kipers big board, he has Mallet at 7 and Newton at 8. I don't think that's unrealistic and we currently look to pick at 6.

justasportsfan
12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
LT, QB, OLB, WR

bell is playing well that lt is not a major need
same goes with qb. OLB you can argue but Moats is doing so well . WR?

Is Kiper sniffing his hairspray again?

ServoBillieves
12-19-2010, 05:39 PM
RT, LE, OLB, and soon to be S. So yes, let's cut bait with Whitner and draft Peterson to fill the role of SS

New Ro's Greatest
12-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Bills don't need a LT so that shows me that these guys don't watch us. We need Defense, Defense , Defense in the 1st round! GO BILLS:D

Mahdi
12-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Buffalo Bills

I disagree. Bell is doing just fine at LT. I would have no problem with a defensive pick or Mallett or Newton. Pass on Green even if he is a potential star, because we have plenty of capable WRs.
LT is locked up. Bell will be even stronger next year after having a full offseason of strength training and TC rather than an offseason of rehab.

Bell is what you want in a LT. Fast, athletic and has room to add weight and strength.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-19-2010, 06:19 PM
my first 5 picks would be

1 ryan kerrigan de/olb
2 gabe carimi/anthony castonzo , whoever is there rt
3 steve schilling og
4 kelvin sheppard ilb
4 josh bynes ilb

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Kiper should watch a few of our games. They're actually pretty entertaining, and with real NFL teams too!!

I think our offense is a good RT away from being damn good. I say that, knowing Bell is 5x the player he was last year, and hoping that he does gain a lot of strength in the offseason. He is young enough that adding muscle shouldn't be a problem. Chan and Co. would have a much firmer grasp on what is left in his development, so I'll trust them. If they say DB is the guy, let's go with it.

Wrotto is not the guy at RT, or he hasn't been that guy yet. Watching the game today, if were just a little stronger up front, we could have laid the fish to rest early. We have two good backs, and what appears to be some real talent at WR. Fitzy makes good decisions, and he makes them quick. I am sure there will be a big problem with this, but if he anywhere near Tom Brady time, I think he could become an elite QB.

Peterson would be too good to pass up, so if he's there in the first...pull the trigger. If not you take BPA on the defensive side of the ball, and do not pass the BPA to play RT in the second. I guess a lot of this can change with Free Agency, but I think that if we want real stars, we are going to have to draft them.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Kiper should watch a few of our games. They're actually pretty entertaining, and with real NFL teams too!!

I think our offense is a good RT away from being damn good. I say that, knowing Bell is 5x the player he was last year, and hoping that he does gain a lot of strength in the offseason. He is young enough that adding muscle shouldn't be a problem. Chan and Co. would have a much firmer grasp on what is left in his development, so I'll trust them. If they say DB is the guy, let's go with it.

Wrotto is not the guy at RT, or he hasn't been that guy yet. Watching the game today, if were just a little stronger up front, we could have laid the fish to rest early. We have two good backs, and what appears to be some real talent at WR. Fitzy makes good decisions, and he makes them quick. I am sure there will be a big problem with this, but if he anywhere near Tom Brady time, I think he could become an elite QB.

Peterson would be too good to pass up, so if he's there in the first...pull the trigger. If not you take BPA on the defensive side of the ball, and do not pass the BPA to play RT in the second. I guess a lot of this can change with Free Agency, but I think that if we want real stars, we are going to have to draft them.

I'd like to see us spend a bit in FA. I'd like to land one really good player. It doesn't have to e the top guy, or even a star. But someone who's really good. Give me a David Harris or Lamar Woodley or Zack Miller. Maybe Tamba Hali.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
How could anyone with an ounce of football knowledge say that WR is one of the Bills' top needs? Kiper is a complete jackass.

Also, Bell hasn't allowed a sack all season, better than any rookie LT that was drafted in the first round last year.

I'd say Fitzpatrick has proved that this team doesn't have to reach for a QB that wont' be worthy of the pick.

Suck it Kiper. The Bills need help on Defense, unless Andrew Luck rapes a hooker and falls to where the Bills pick.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
How could anyone with an ounce of football knowledge say that WR is one of the Bills' top needs? Kiper is a complete jackass.

Also, Bell hasn't allowed a sack all season, better than any rookie LT that was drafted in the first round last year.

I'd say Fitzpatrick has proved that this team doesn't have to reach for a QB that wont' be worthy of the pick.

Suck it Kiper. The Bills need help on Defense, unless Andrew Luck rapes a hooker and falls to where the Bills pick.Raping a hooker drops your status? :bad:

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
No, I meant was the only way he'll drop to the Bills is if he does something stupid like that, or gets caught snorting coke off of a transvestite's unit.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
No, I meant was the only way he'll drop to the Bills is if he does something stupid like that, or gets caught snorting coke off of a transvestite's unit.Is a straw required for that?

He won't drop, but as Ive said, there will be other QB prospects that may end up ranking right around there.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
At this point, the only one I'd be close to ok with if the Bills picked him in the top 10 is Newton. He has all the intangibles that Josh Freeman has/had coming into the draft.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
At this point, the only one I'd be close to ok with if the Bills picked him in the top 10 is Newton. He has all the intangibles that Josh Freeman has/had coming into the draft.I will be watching him closely. I want to hear what teams think of his off the field crap, and I want to hear what they think about his ability to grasp pro offenses... but if it comes out clean, I will be very intrigued by the possibility.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
He's a freak, physically. You are right, he does have some question marks off the field. Hopefully he's not dumber than dumb.

ChristopherWalken
12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
The Bills are dead last in run defense. How does DL not make Kiper's list? The guy is a scam.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 07:20 PM
On CB, McKelvin got picked apart again today, McGee is getting long in the tooth, and the one-man-penalty-machine Florence is a FA.

better days
12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
At this point, the only one I'd be close to ok with if the Bills picked him in the top 10 is Newton. He has all the intangibles that Josh Freeman has/had coming into the draft.

He may have similar physical traits as Freeman, but it remains to be seen if he is as smart or has the same work ethic as Freeman.

YardRat
12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Peterson or d-line and I'll be happy.

According to NFL.com, before today's game, Buffalo was the #1 ranked team rushing to their left, BTW.

Kiper's a douchebag.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 08:01 PM

According to NFL.com, before today's game, Buffalo was the #1 ranked team rushing to their left, BTW.

Kiper's a douchebag.I really wish I knew what this means. I think it means we get more yards rushing on the left side than any other team.

psubills62
12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
At this point, I could see us taking Dareus. Sitting at the 6th spot, I just don't see Peterson making it to us (though I'd love to get him). Amukamara is a possibility, imo.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
i just think its going to be kerrigan... unless we resign merriman, but even he is a question mark....

Mr. Pink
12-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Kiper's a douchebag.

Something the team wasn't good at doing when Jason Peters was the LT.

tampabay25690
12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
On CB, McKelvin got picked apart again today, McGee is getting long in the tooth, and the one-man-penalty-machine Florence is a FA.
Yea Patrick Peterson looks real good right now doesn't he X??

B-DON
12-19-2010, 11:59 PM
I may be in the minority but green is a straight monster and by the looks of where we will be pickin he will definitely be the bpa and nix would not being doing his due diligence if he doesn't look long and hard at green. He's an immediate difference maker. Something the bills don't have on offense right now

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I may be in the minority but green is a straight monster and by the looks of where we will be pickin he will definitely be the bpa and nix would not being doing his due diligence if he doesn't look long and hard at green. He's an immediate difference maker. Something the bills don't have on offense right now

Dude we are not taking green, unless you think he is the next randy moss??

is he that good?

if he isnt than take kerrigan or dareus...

psubills62
12-20-2010, 12:19 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they took Green at all, depending on who is available.

I have a feeling this year's draft will be similar in focus to last year's draft, actually, just with a few positions switched around.

Just look at the way Nix and co. drafted last year: first pick was Spiller, an electric playmaker, which is something that was sorely needed for this team; whether or not he's been used correctly is another story. Then the next two picks were front 7 on defense. Then a skill player in Easley in the 4th round. Then of the next 5 picks, 2 were front 7 (LB's), 2 were OL, and 1 was QB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopt a similar strategy this year: grab a playmaker in the first round, maybe a QB/DB in the later rounds, and fill out the rest of the picks with front 7 and OL. Possibly switch the front 7/OL concentration by grabbing an OT and OG early, then front 7 focus later in the draft.

jamze132
12-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Defense needs to be the focus in FA and the draft. We need some LBs that can stick to their assignments.

X-Era
12-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Yea Patrick Peterson looks real good right now doesn't he X??It wouldn't be my favorite pick, but I could see it.

Night Train
12-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Anyone that says WR is our top priority will go on ignore... Plus I'll PM my add: to return my model airplane glue.

If a healthy Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Roscoe, Roosevelt & the returning Easley are not good enough, then something is wrong with your eyes.

LB,LB,DT,QB,TE,RT...in any order...don't care when we find them...just find them.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Kiper is an idiot. Three of our 4 critical needs are on offense? Has he watched us play, or even looked at stats?

Bell has played well, and our young receivers have been a revelation. Fitz is probably not the long term solution, but relatively speaking, he has made our offense into a much better unit than our D.

It's fairly obvious that we need a lot of help against the run, and with our pass rush. I think we need at least one each of OLB, DE, ILB, and DT, before we worry about the offense.

Forward_Lateral
12-20-2010, 06:15 AM
If the Bills had a middle of the pack D and Fitz playing all season, this team would have 8 or 9 wins right now.

X-Era
12-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Anyone that says WR is our top priority will go on ignore... Plus I'll PM my add: to return my model airplane glue.

If a healthy Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Roscoe, Roosevelt & the returning Easley are not good enough, then something is wrong with your eyes.

LB,LB,DT,QB,TE,RT...in any order...don't care when we find them...just find them.
1) Cam Newton
2) Jeremy Beal
3) Jerrell Powe
4a) DJ Williams
4b) Chris Hairston
5) Lawrence Marsh
6) Derrell Smith
7) BPA

:D:

ddaryl
12-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Defensive front 7 help is the main priority this off season for this team.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
CB
DE
OT
NT
OLB
ILB
SS
WR
QB

In no order.

clumping platelets
12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Kiper's needs are wrong

1) true 3-4 OLB with speed
2) big physical shut down CB
3) young QB of the future
4) OT (play either side)
5) all around TE
6) another 3-4 DE

not all have to be acquired by the draft............we can trade for or sign them as FAs

Pinkerton Security
12-20-2010, 07:50 AM
I like what NFL draft countdown has to say...Kiper blows.

What the Bills really need more than anything is a franchise quarterback to build around but with Ryan Fitzpatrick playing better than expected they may feel comfortable addressing another position rather than reaching for a signal caller. If Buffalo does go in another direction look for a pass rusher to be near the top of their wish list. Robert Quinn has not played at all this season after being ruled ineligible by North Carolina amidst an NCAA investigation involving agents and extra benefits. Still, there is enough tape out there on Quinn, who is a potential double-digit sack artist with major upside, that some team will take a chance on him in the Top 10 overall. Quinn is capable of playing either defensive end or outside linebacker depending on the scheme so regardless of whether the Bills go with an even or odd front (they bounced back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4 this season) he would give them the elite pass rush presence they so desperately need. Also keep an eye on Alabama’s Marcell Dareus, another scheme diverse and positionally versatile front seven prospect.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

EDS
12-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I like what NFL draft countdown has to say...Kiper blows.

What the Bills really need more than anything is a franchise quarterback to build around but with Ryan Fitzpatrick playing better than expected they may feel comfortable addressing another position rather than reaching for a signal caller. If Buffalo does go in another direction look for a pass rusher to be near the top of their wish list. Robert Quinn has not played at all this season after being ruled ineligible by North Carolina amidst an NCAA investigation involving agents and extra benefits. Still, there is enough tape out there on Quinn, who is a potential double-digit sack artist with major upside, that some team will take a chance on him in the Top 10 overall. Quinn is capable of playing either defensive end or outside linebacker depending on the scheme so regardless of whether the Bills go with an even or odd front (they bounced back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4 this season) he would give them the elite pass rush presence they so desperately need. Also keep an eye on Alabama’s Marcell Dareus, another scheme diverse and positionally versatile front seven prospect.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

I think pass rush falls after stopping the run in terms of priority needs for the Bills defense.

I also feel like the top defensive linemen (i.e., Bowers, Dareus and Fairley) in this years draft are better suited for a 4-3 defense.

B-DON
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Dude we are not taking green, unless you think he is the next randy moss??

is he that good?

if he isnt than take kerrigan or dareus...
I want us to take dlinemen early and often but you can't ignore the fact they might be off the board when we pick. And anyone wanting newton over green at this point is simply crazy. Just watch green play and you'll see why teams in the top 5 will look long and hard at him. He's that good.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 02:01 PM
hey if aj green can be the next randy moss in his prime than we should take him... i just dont think he is quite that good...

patmoran2006
12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Why in the blue hell does Mel Kiper think we need a WR?

X-Era
12-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Why in the blue hell does Mel Kiper think we need a WR?Because he doesn't see one of our WR's in the top 5 on the front of the stat page. It requires actually watching games to understand what we do and don't have.

JCBills
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Suck it Kiper. The Bills need help on Defense, unless Andrew Luck rapes a hooker and falls to where the Bills pick.

He allowed one to Jared Allen, but one on the season is damn good.

BillsWin
12-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I think according to Scouts Inc. or Stats Inc. or whatever the website is, Bell has rated out as a top five left tackle in terms of sacks per quarterback drop backs.

Don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I saw that article.

X-Era
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I think according to Scouts Inc. or Stats Inc. or whatever the website is, Bell has rated out as a top five left tackle in terms of sacks per quarterback drop backs.

Don't quote me on that because I can't remember where I saw that article.He shutdown the NFL's sack leader (Wake). I'm not worried about Bell.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
and bell is doing that all on a knee that is probably 85%, wait till next year when he can get even stronger and more comfortable...

i think our line is set as long as we pick up a dominant run blocking rt... gabe carimi!

streetkings01
12-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I remember reading an article where people in the NFL dont take Kiper seriously since he doesn't get to see the same film that NFL scouts see. I heard Mayock is the only non NFL scout that gets access to the "real" film.

ParanoidAndroid
12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
The Bills are still not good enough at stopping the run and their own run game is anemic as well.

We get beat to the outside by RB's because our OLB's are simply not fast enough or able to shed blocks well enough.
We also don't get consistent pressure on QB's, though it has gotten better.
We don't get stops for losses because the D-line is not big/strong enough. I love Kyle Williams because he does make plays, but RB's always seem to get 2-3 yards when we should be stopping for no gain.
We run left because we can't run right. We need a true mauling RT to get this run game going.
I see our most immediate needs like this:
1. OLB
2. RT
3. DT
4. ILB

NOT THE DUDE...
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
The Bills are still not good enough at stopping the run and their own run game is anemic as well.

We get beat to the outside by RB's because our OLB's are simply not fast enough or able to shed blocks well enough.
We also don't get consistent pressure on QB's, though it has gotten better.
We don't get stops for losses because the D-line is not big/strong enough. I love Kyle Williams because he does make plays, but RB's always seem to get 2-3 yards when we should be stopping for no gain.
We run left because we can't run right. We need a true mauling RT to get this run game going.
I see our most immediate needs like this:
1. OLB
2. RT
3. DT
4. ILB

couldnt agree more, this is my mock

1 ryan kerrigan 34olb
2 gabe carimi rt
3 donta hightower ilb
4 josh bynes ilb
4 phil taylor nt/34de
5 bpa
6 bpa
7 bpa

Mr. Pink
12-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Why in the blue hell does Mel Kiper think we need a WR?

Because the only established WR this team has, Lee Evans, has had down years as of late.

Stevie Johnson is yet to establish himself, anyone can have 1 big season.

ParanoidAndroid
12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to drafting Green. He's about as sure a thing as any pick I've seen in years.
The reason seems to be that we are set at WR. We might be, but how good would this offense be with a dominant receiver like an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald?
That said, I stand by my earlier post about what we absolutely need.

k-oneputt
12-21-2010, 10:53 AM
The opposed to drafting Green crowd is opposed because they know you win games w/ the qb and at the line of scrimmage. fitz has played better then I expected but without doubt our defensive front seven and o-line are still not good enough. You get a top-5 pick and have a shot at a good linemen or qb you take him. Pretty simple really unless you want to keep making the Whitner for Ngata mistake over again.

Danny Duberstein
12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I think Bell is ok at LT. And I don't really want to spend a top 10 pick on a RT. If there was a blue-chip Tackle prospect on the board, I wouldn't mind taking him, but there won't be. I'd rather get the RT in the 2nd or 3rd. The position DOES need to be addressed.

Fitz's contract is up after 2011. We should extend him through 2012, or maybe 2013. No sense in reaching on a QB, when we have a good QB on our roster already. We'd be spinning our wheels, and not improving the team very much (just like we did in the 1st round this past year).

The 1st round pick needs to be best "Front 7" player available. Either a DL or LB.

better days
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
hey if aj green can be the next randy moss in his prime than we should take him... i just dont think he is quite that good...

If some team thinks he is & they want him, I would rather see the Bills make a trade than draft him myself.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
If some team thinks he is & they want him, I would rather see the Bills make a trade than draft him myself.

thats a good point. if we could trade down and pick up adrian clayborn or gabe carimi... and get an extra 2nd...

thats ideal.

personally i think nix will be keying on dareus, kerrigan or quinn... i dont think he will trade down..