PDA

View Full Version : Give it up for the kids at WR

Stewie
12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
a 7th rounder and a bunch of UDFA's. Nice job out there and thank you Fitz for giving them the chance.

X-Era
12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
a 7th rounder and a bunch of UDFA's. Nice job out there and thank you Fitz for giving them the chance.Fitz is the best I have seen since Kelly at spreading the ball around. I don't hand that out lightly.

Beebe's Kid
12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Fitz is the best I have seen since Kelly at spreading the ball around. I don't hand that out lightly.Yeah, he's not bad for a backup! Imagine what it will be like when we get a real starter!!!

Nelson is a good player, I hope he is our "Diamond in the Rough" at the Pats games.

mikemac2001
12-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, he's not bad for a backup! Imagine what it will be like when we get a real starter!!!

ya and hes not bad for a starter...it could be worse

and since the bye he has been a winning QB

ghz in pittsburgh
12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, he's not bad for a backup! Imagine what it will be like when we get a real starter!!!

Nelson is a good player, I hope he is our "Diamond in the Rough" at the Pats games.

Fitz just might stay a little longer as a starter for the Bills - I have that feeling.

I don't think he's a franchise QB, but he could very well be our Jake Delhomme, the Carolina version for a few years.

By the way, today we have no Evans. It just shows it is the QB who makes WRs. We are going to see more proof of that next week when NE comes in town.

jamze132
12-20-2010, 04:08 AM
And Kiper (clueless) thinks WR is one of our top needs.

That is one of the most aggrivating thing about that douche, I mean does he even study each team's actual needs or does he just read ESPN?

Dujek
12-20-2010, 06:36 AM
The more I see of them the more there is to like.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Props to Naaman Roosevelt, who had 2 big catches - both for 1st downs - for his first NFL receptions.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 07:46 AM

That is one of the most aggrivating thing about that douche, I mean does he even study each team's actual needs or does he just read ESPN?

WR is a big need, having guys who can catch the ball and depth WRs are great. But do we have a clutch WR who can beat the jam consistently against the top CB's in the league?

That's what Kiper is getting at. We have great depth at WR and plenty of talent but we lack a#1 playmaker. I agree 100% with him on that point as well.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
WR is a big need, having guys who can catch the ball and depth WRs are great. But do we have a clutch WR who can beat the jam consistently against the top CB's in the league?

That's what Kiper is getting at. We have great depth at WR and plenty of talent but we lack a#1 playmaker. I agree 100% with him on that point as well.
I don't totally disagree, but given the 4 kids that played so well yesterday, plus Evans, Parrish and Easley stockpiled on IR, I see defensive front seven help as a far bigger need.

better days
12-20-2010, 08:06 AM

WR is way down on the list of needs for this team. Kiper is wrong & so are you.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't totally disagree, but given the 4 kids that played so well yesterday, plus Evans, Parrish and Easley stockpiled on IR, I see defensive front seven help as a far bigger need.

I'm not saying that it's a huge need, I was just pointing out the differences in what we are talking about with our WR Corp and what Kiprt is saying is a need. Even with Parrish, Evans, and Easley back Id still argue we lack a true #1 NFL caliber WR.

For me if AJ Green falls to us, and guys like Dareus, and Bowers are gone then Id take Green in the blink of an eye.

Dr. Lecter
12-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm not saying that it's a huge need, I was just pointing out the differences in what we are talking about with our WR Corp and what Kiprt is saying is a need. Even with Parrish, Evans, and Easley back Id still argue we lack a true #1 NFL caliber WR.

For me if AJ Green falls to us, and guys like Dareus, and Bowers are gone then Id take Green in the blink of an eye.
If that happens (those two are gone), then Peterson is probably still on the board and he becomes the pick, imo.

psubills62
12-20-2010, 08:24 AM
If that happens (those two are gone), then Peterson is probably still on the board and he becomes the pick, imo.

I seriously doubt Peterson gets past Detroit. Peterson would be close to the ideal pick for them, as they desperately need DB's. I certainly wouldn't mind getting him, but I don't think we'll be able to land him.

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
We have to hope the teams drafting ahead of us are stupid enough to use a top-5 pick on a wr.
Detroit used to do that but Millen is gone now and they've finally learned.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 08:34 AM

I'd love Peterson too, just pointing out what Kiper meant when he lists WR as a need.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 08:43 AM
We have to hope the teams drafting ahead of us are stupid enough to use a top-5 pick on a wr.

Yea that Calvin Johnson guy is garbage! He sured showed them!

B-DON
12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Fitzgerald and calvin jouhnson have worked out pretty well for top 5 picks. You can't ignore green if he's still on the board cuz that more than likely means a few of the defensive players that we covet are gone. Green would instantly be our best offensive player day 1.

trapezeus
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
i feel like these draft experts get paid by agents to promote their players to create buzz. i feel like the top guys like kiper just keep trying to hammer home a point because of the money involved. they don't watch the worst teams in the NFL to really know what they need.

if the bills end up with a WR or a CB, this whole painful season will have been a big gigantic waste. CB's are overpaid suckers. if you are going to overpay, pay for the heat. pay for the guys who rush the QB and stop the run. An average CB can cover an NFL receiver for 4 seconds. The best CB's can not always stay with top WR's for 5-7 seconds. that's what the bills currently allow.

Stewie
12-20-2010, 08:53 AM
if there's really a WR worth taking at our pick, let some other team trade up for him and stockpile the lines.

B-DON
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
So if we went wr,dl,dl/ol,lb,ol/dl you guys would be upset. Even if that wr instantly becomes our best offensive weapon? If we don't go dl with the first pick it doesn't mean we can't draft 2 or 3 with our other 7 picks. Plus I gotta believe we will get at least one starter from free agency filling one of these voids before the draft. If green is bpa and dline is gone you have to grab him

better days
12-20-2010, 09:18 AM
So if we went wr,dl,dl/ol,lb,ol/dl you guys would be upset. Even if that wr instantly becomes our best offensive weapon? If we don't go dl with the first pick it doesn't mean we can't draft 2 or 3 with our other 7 picks. Plus I gotta believe we will get at least one starter from free agency filling one of these voids before the draft. If green is bpa and dline is gone you have to grab him

I would be very surprised if the Bills pick a WR in the 1st but not upset. I have faith in Nix that he will get the best players he can for the Bills.

Stewie
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I dunno how this became a draft thread but we just beat the dolphins and had a great all around effort by a bunch of guys.

And I have to say it's really nice having receivers over 5' 10". Seems like we haven't had that since... ?

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Yea that Calvin Johnson guy is garbage! He sured showed them!

Never said he wasn't good. The problem with wr is that there are many out there that can get the job done. It falls more to the qb then it does a wr. Finding good big men and qb's are much more difficult then finding wr's, so if you have a top-5 pick you had better get the big guy.
Look at the Bills, wr's look pretty good to me. Brady and Manning seem to win with whomever they throw out there at wr.
Fitzgerald hasn't been the same w/o Warner either.

Figster
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I dunno how this became a draft thread but we just beat the dolphins and had a great all around effort by a bunch of guys.

And I have to say it's really nice having receivers over 5' 10". Seems like we haven't had that since... ?
I agree, the overall height increase at WR is a big plus and the clutch receiving performances displayed by our young receiving corp is partly to do with having the ability to go up top and come down with the ball.

With Lee Evans, Roscoe Parish and the emergence of Marcus Easley next season the Bills have good depth at the WR position.

Stevie Johnson is now the Bills #1 WR over Lee Evans in my opinion. ( with a healthy Lee Evans I mean)

streetkings01
12-20-2010, 09:58 AM

That is one of the most aggrivating thing about that douche, I mean does he even study each team's actual needs or does he just read ESPN?Thats what gets me........we have no need at WR! We have Stevie, Lee, Roscoe, Nelson, Jones and Easley. Granted the Saints have Brees, but talent wise the Saints receiving core is no better than the Bills so how is WR not a need on that team?

psubills62
12-20-2010, 10:01 AM

...or Boldin. Fitzgerald still has 986 receiving yards this year, despite Max Hall, John Skelton, and Derek Anderson acting as QB's (two undrafted rookies). That means Fitz is on pace to beat last year's total, when Warner was playing.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Never said he wasn't good. The problem with wr is that there are many out there that can get the job done. It falls more to the qb then it does a wr. Finding good big men and qb's are much more difficult then finding wr's, so if you have a top-5 pick you had better get the big guy.
Look at the Bills, wr's look pretty good to me. Brady and Manning seem to win with whomever they throw out there at wr.

You know I dont disagree, but tell me where this mystery QB or big lineman is going to come from?

Right now we are in very real danger of missing out on Luck (not declaring), Dareus, and Bowers. Quinn isn't a lineman and no OT is worth a top 10 pick to me.

So where do you go? Do you purposely skip the higher skilled player and reach for a lineman or QB? Hoping they work out and defy the odds? That's my point. Im not saying you pass on Dareus for Green, but if the players that fill the needs and fit value wise are gone, why would you ever purposely take a lower level talent?

B-DON
12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
My point exactly draftboy. If dline is gone and green is there you have to look long and hard at him. I love these posters that are counting easley as a lock to be anything more than a 5th wr. The kid hasn't played a down yet people on this board are markin him down as a guarantee. Yet fitz is just a backup. Lol I love this place

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Dareus, Fairly, Quinn, Bowers,Mallett, Locker, Peterson

Considering we have a very good chance of being 4-12 I would have to beieve one of the following will be available.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Dareus, Fairly, Quinn, Bowers,Mallett, Locker, Peterson

Considering we have a very good chance of being 4-12 I would have to beieve one of the following will be available.

Fairley is a horrible fit for our defense, Mallet isn't top 15, Locker isnt even a first rounder and realistically Quinn, Bowers, Dareus, and Peterson could all be gone.

So who do you take in that kind of scenario. Are you really prepared to reach for a QB like Mallet and take a huge risk with a top 10 pick that we have to hit on?

Oaf
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I'll take a TE over a WR pick.

That said, our WR's are nothing close to the Driver-Jennings-Jones-Nelson combo they have up at GB. There's room for improvement whether it be new players or development.

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
What number do you see us picking at 4-12 ?
What defense are we actually going to be playing next year ?
Who say's Mallett isn't a top-10 qb pick ? But he's good enough to be top-20{moronic}
Peterson has a good shot to go to the Lions, that's a plus for us since they will draft in front of us.
Luck comes out, he goes in front of us.
Thus one of those d-linemen will be sitting there.
And if we get really lucky, Green will be taken in front of us too.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
What number do you see us picking at 4-12 ?
What defense are we actually going to be playing next year ?
Who say's Mallett isn't a top-10 qb pick ? But he's good enough to be top-20{moronic}
Peterson has a good shot to go to the Lions, that's a plus for us since they will draft in front of us.
Luck comes out, he goes in front of us.
Thus one of those d-linemen will be sitting there.
And if we get really lucky, Green will be taken in front of us too.

I see up picking around 7 or 8. You?

Nobody I know of is actually calling him a top 10 pick, you're basically the only one. He still has a ton of holes in his game. The difference between top 10 and top 20 is a huge leap. You know that.

The defense question is a good one, but Im operating under the idea that we are a 3-4 front. Until I hear otherwise that's how Im operating.

Peterson-agreed
I dont think Luck is declaring in all honesty as or right now
You think one of the two Dline will be sitting there at 7 or 8? Quinn isn't a DL in the 3-4, and Fairley isn't a fit.

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Caro, Ariz, Cincy,Det.,
5th to 7th. at worst

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Caro, Ariz, Cincy,Det.,
5th to 7th. at worst

Hope you're right. We are picking 6th as of today.

k-oneputt
12-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Quinn is a pass rusher though and that is sorely needed on this team, much more then wr. Will Nix mess with him, idk.

DraftBoy
12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Quinn is a pass rusher though and that is sorely needed on this team, much more then wr. Will Nix mess with him, idk.

Im scared of picking him. Young kid who hasnt played football in a year, only has experience in a 4-3 set and isn't a sound fundamentals based player. He is stronger than Maybin but not by a ton.

SabreEleven
12-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Fitz is the best I have seen since Kelly at spreading the ball around. I don't hand that out lightly.

Is it almost time to go with Fitz-Era?

better days
12-20-2010, 12:18 PM
You know I dont disagree, but tell me where this mystery QB or big lineman is going to come from?

Right now we are in very real danger of missing out on Luck (not declaring), Dareus, and Bowers. Quinn isn't a lineman and no OT is worth a top 10 pick to me.

So where do you go? Do you purposely skip the higher skilled player and reach for a lineman or QB? Hoping they work out and defy the odds? That's my point. Im not saying you pass on Dareus for Green, but if the players that fill the needs and fit value wise are gone, why would you ever purposely take a lower level talent?

OK, I get what you are saying & agree. If Luck stays in school, everyone will move up one pick in the draft so even if the Bills have no shot at Luck, the Bills will be better off if he comes out.

X-Era
12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Is it almost time to go with Fitz-Era?My rule is it will take a minimum of a playoff trip, and I may hold out for the Superbowl.

madness
12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Fitz had rooks work late (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/12/20/fitz-had-rooks-work-late/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2010-12-20T08:00:02+0000"> December 20, 2010 – 8:00 am </abbr> </small>

Ryan Fitzpatrick had the three rookie receivers he made good use of Sunday in the win over Miami, stay late after practice leading up to the game to make sure they were all on the same page.
David Nelson confirmed as much after the game, even indicating that Fitz spoke to Donald and Naaman one-on-one.
“He did say some stuff to Naaman and to Donald,” said Nelson. ”He kept us a little longer after practice on Wednesday and Thursday. We watched a little extra film together. I think that showed (Sunday). “He and Naaman were right on point and right where he needed to be and in sync with each other. So he didn’t say to meet specifically, but he did address some of the guys.”
Fitzpatrick’s leadership is one of the more unnoticed factors in Buffalo’s success on offense. The guy has literally pulled it all together blending in new parts along the way to keep the offense running efficiently.

Extremebillsfan247
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
a 7th rounder and a bunch of UDFA's. Nice job out there and thank you Fitz for giving them the chance. Yep, I think Fitz deserves the grunt of that credit. He is showing a leadership quality that you didn't have with Trent Edwards, and the receivers are responding to it. Fitz is making the players around him better. A look at how he handled yesterdays game magnified that. At least I think so.

NorthCarBills
12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
a 7th rounder and a bunch of UDFA's. Nice job out there and thank you Fitz for giving them the chance.

Big praise from me for sure. Those guys have done a great job and hopefully will stick around for a while. It makes me wonder honestly, and without sarcasm, if Evans will remain next season.

Dr. Pepper
12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
My point exactly draftboy. If dline is gone and green is there you have to look long and hard at him. I love these posters that are counting easley as a lock to be anything more than a 5th wr. The kid hasn't played a down yet people on this board are markin him down as a guarantee. Yet fitz is just a backup. Lol I love this place

...and a.j. green hasnt played a down yet in the nfl and yet you say hed instantly be our best player.... how is that not total hypocrisy on your part?

jamze132
12-21-2010, 04:54 AM

Get off Kiper's nuts.

We both know that Kiper was talking about possibly taking a WR in the 1st. In know, shape, or form are we drafting a WR in the 1st. He looks at ESPN.com/nfl and looks at rosters. Thats all.

DraftBoy
12-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Get off Kiper's nuts.

We both know that Kiper was talking about possibly taking a WR in the 1st. In know, shape, or form are we drafting a WR in the 1st. He looks at ESPN.com/nfl and looks at rosters. Thats all.

Im not on Kiper's nuts at all, in fact Im one of the most critical voices of Kiper on this board.

I just dont think many people grasp what he actually talking about.

Now do you agree or disagree that we have a need for a #1 caliber WR?

jamze132
12-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Im not on Kiper's nuts at all, in fact Im one of the most critical voices of Kiper on this board.

I just dont think many people grasp what he actually talking about.

Now do you agree or disagree that we have a need for a #1 caliber WR?
Not in the 1st round like he is talking about.

To be completely honest, I do not think we need a #1 WR as bad as some others. We still have Evans and we have Stevie next year. That is not that bad of a receiving corps.

madness
12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
If a true #1 WR is the best option at our pick, you better start preparing yourselves now for your own disappointment. It's a huge need to take this offense to anywhere close to an elite level and Nix won't look a gift horse in the mouth. He will take BPA whether it's a priority need or not.

Figster
12-22-2010, 08:12 AM
If a true #1 WR is the best option at our pick, you better start preparing yourselves now for your own disappointment. It's a huge need to take this offense to anywhere close to an elite level and Nix won't look a gift horse in the mouth. He will take BPA whether it's a priority need or not.

Myself personally, the problem with picking a WR at #1 is this current Bills football team needs help now, not two or three years from now. I believe the only long term project player drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Bills in the 2011 draft will in all probability be a signal caller.

Gift horse or not, I just don't see it happening. The Buffalo Bills have to many needs and do not have the luxury of picking the best man on the board, at least not in my opinion.

madness
12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Myself personally, the problem with picking a WR at #1 is this current Bills football team needs help now, not two or three years from now. I believe the only long term project player drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Bills in the 2011 draft will in all probability be a signal caller.

Gift horse or not, I just don't see it happening. The Buffalo Bills have to many needs and do not have the luxury of picking the best man on the board, at least not in my opinion.
People were saying the same thing about RB before last year's draft. Nix is going to take BPA available and it might not be a choice the majority likes if that player is the clear cut favorite above the remaining selections. It's not to say if there's a position of need close enough to current selections, Nix won't go after it but again if there's a WR available that could be a possible game breaker and has the highest draft value... :bullseye:

Figster
12-22-2010, 08:34 AM
People were saying the same thing about RB before last year's draft. Nix is going to take BPA available and it might not be a choice the majority likes if that player is the clear cut favorite above the remaining selections. It's not to say if there's a position of need close enough to current selections, Nix won't go after it but again if there's a WR available that could be a possible game breaker and has the highest draft value... :bullseye:
I understand your train of thought as far as the draft value part of it is concerned, but I would think getting more bang for your buck in a timely manner would also be under consideration. As far as the Spiller pick goes, the learning curve for a RB is normally faster then a WR and the success ratio is probably higher. (I'm speculating)

Besides, Stevie Johnson appears to be on the brink of super stardom in my opinion and Marcus Easley is going to hit the ground running going into the NFL next season for the Buffalo Bills.

Along with Parish and Evans the Buffalo Bills have good depth at the WR position.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Not in the 1st round like he is talking about.

To be completely honest, I do not think we need a #1 WR as bad as some others. We still have Evans and we have Stevie next year. That is not that bad of a receiving corps.

So who is your #1? Because honestly in my opinion next to the #1 slot all I see is vacant.

X-Era
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Quick comments:

1) I think Fitz and Gailey deserve a lot of credit for getting these young guys to play at the level they have

2) Evans is supposedly due 8.4 mill next year... As much as I don't care about Ralph's money, that's a big number for a guy who was outplayed by a 7th rounder.

Which begs the question, if the Bills part ways with Lee before the draft, does WR become a bigger need?

better days
12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Quick comments:

1) I think Fitz and Gailey deserve a lot of credit for getting these young guys to play at the level they have

2) Evans is supposedly due 8.4 mill next year... As much as I don't care about Ralph's money, that's a big number for a guy who was outplayed by a 7th rounder.

Which begs the question, if the Bills part ways with Lee before the draft, does WR become a bigger need?

Where did you come up with that number? My understanding is that it is half that amount.

Dr. Lecter
12-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Quick comments:

8.4 was this year. Next year is around 4 or so.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Who are the best receivers in the league ? Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, ???? Last I looked neither of those teams will even sniff the play-offs.

X-Era
12-22-2010, 09:50 AM
8.4 was this year. Next year is around 4 or so.4? If it's 4, then it's a non-issue. I got it from this:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif Buffalo Bills: Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn http://www.walterfootball.com/college/Auburn_logo.gif
Poor Bills. They've won one too many games, and are now out of position to draft Andrew Luck. Meanwhile, Chan Gailey is convinced that Ryan Fitzpatrick is good enough to start at quarterback in 2011. It seems like it'll be another playoff-less decade for Buffalo.

With Luck off the board, the Bills could opt to address the huge void on their defensive line. Nick Fairley, who can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4, which will intrigue the Bills, who can't seem to decide on a defensive scheme.

Fairley has been unstoppable. He completely dominated Alabama's offensive line on Thanksgiving weekend. His stock has risen to the point that it'd be shocking if he fell out of the top five.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Cam Newton, QB - If the Bills like Cam Newton enough, they could conceivably take him at No. 5, though I don't think that will happen.

2. A.J. Green, WR - Lee Evans is due to make $8.4 million next year. He didn't have a good season, so the thrifty Bills could decide to part ways with him.

better days
12-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Who are the best receivers in the league ? Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, ???? Last I looked neither of those teams will even sniff the play-offs.

Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Ocho, TO all top receivers that will watch on TV as well.

Figster
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Quick comments:

Lee Evans is the type of player you would really like to use to set an example to the younger players, but I agree, 8.4 mill is a real big number for a fella that has not produced. On the other hand my only problem with that is Lee Evans, like the rest of the team hasn't seen an experienced and capable play caller like Chan Gailey in a long time, so how much of Evans slump can be attributed to sub par coaching?

The way I look at it is Lee Evans requires extra attention, thus smaller windows to throw threw. Fitz being the smart fella he is understands as much and allows Evans to be used as a decoy. The more players like Stevie Johnson start stepping it up, the more opposing defenses start shifting their attention and Evans starts getting more open space to work in. In other words we were just now in our first season starting to see what kind of problems the offense Gailey gives us stacks up to opposing defenses in the NFL. Once we introduce a good pass catching TE it will just open up even more space for players like Lee Evans.

Myself personally, from a veteran leadership standpoint I hope it doesn't happen, but If the Bills decide Evans is not in Buffalo's long term plans then the WR position probably does become more of an area of focus.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Ocho, TO all top receivers that will watch on TV as well.

You get the point too then better days.
Wr is not a position that decides games. There are plenty of wr's who are good enough to get the job done. Some here haven't fiqured that out yet.

Bill Cody
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
...and a.j. green hasnt played a down yet in the nfl and yet you say hed instantly be our best player.... how is that not total hypocrisy on your part?

I hope we go defense with our first pick because top defenders are harder to find later in the draft and we badly need an impact player on D.

Having said that AJ Green would absolutely instantly be our best receiver or damn close to instantly. He is a physical freak like Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson and he will be a star. Period.

Bill Cody
12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
You get the point too then better days.
Wr is not a position that decides games. There are plenty of wr's who are good enough to get the job done. Some here haven't fiqured that out yet.

I don't disagree with this entirely but I will say this: good players decide games. The Bills have drafted a bunch of players in the last decade at critical positions that have been flat out useless. What you absolutely cannot do and what we seem to almost always do is swing and miss with a top 15 pick. I'd rather draft a ****ing kicker than draft another Maybin or Mike Williams. If we can find a star on defense I've got the pom poms out. But let's not get too carried away here.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Where they will be drafting they should be able to land a top d-linemen.
Or we could pass on said d-linemen and take a wr. Sorta like the Whitner over Ngata deal.

Bill Cody
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Or we could pass on said d-linemen and take a wr. Sorta like the Whitner over Ngata deal.

I get you. But do you get me? I wanted Ngata like most of this board. But what I'm saying is DON'T DRAFT A ****ING BUST! Capiche? If instead of Ngata and Whitner it's Ryan Sims (drafted 6th) vs Ed Reed (drafted 24th) I hope we would not do what we do and say "let's pass on the hall of famer, we need a DT". I know the draft is a crapshoot but when you have our track record job one is to draft good players.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM

When do we stop talking about coulda, woulda, and shoulda and start functioning in the reality of there just not being that deep talent in this draft class for that high?

psubills62
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I get you. But do you get me? I wanted Ngata like most of this board. But what I'm saying is DON'T DRAFT A ****ING BUST! Capiche? If instead of Ngata and Whitner it's Ryan Sims (drafted 6th) vs Ed Reed (drafted 24th) I hope we would not do what we do and say "let's pass on the hall of famer, we need a DT". I know the draft is a crapshoot but when you have our track record job one is to draft good players.

Well said. Taking a DL for the sake of taking a DL is far from the right way to draft.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
And how do any of you know who is a bust and who isn't ? You don't know. It's about the drafting of a position. When you are top-10 you will get the chance at the supposed top talent. There are many wr's who busted out also. Simple philosphy.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
When do we stop talking about coulda, woulda, and shoulda and start functioning in the reality of there just not being that deep talent in this draft class for that high?

Actually the d-linemen are deep in the draft. You are the supposed expert to these guys so get with it. You want Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Quinn, or a wr that we don't need ?

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Actually the d-linemen are deep in the draft. You are the supposed expert to these guys so get with it. You want Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Quinn, or a wr that we don't need ?

Yea clearly very deep, considering you named only two lineman that fit into our defensive scheme....the other two you keep bringing up only because you are desperate for names.

I love how you play this game without any regard for what any other team may do. its humorous but its not realistic. The only thing we SHOULD be able to do at our pick is get a play-maker. That's it, pinning it down to a position or even a specific individual at this point is beyond ridiculous.

psubills62
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
And how do any of you know who is a bust and who isn't ? You don't know. It's about the drafting of a position. When you are top-10 you will get the chance at the supposed top talent. There are many wr's who busted out also. Simple philosphy.

Nobody truly knows, but that's part of what scouts do - they look for signs that a player may or may not be a bust. It's not just about drafting a specific position. It's about looking at each prospect and projecting how he'll do in the NFL. Some are more high risk than others, regardless of position.

Hypothetically if we drafted someone like Quinn or Bowers over Green, and the latter became a stud while the guy we drafted turned into a dud, I'm sure you'll be the first to complain that we should have drafted someone else.

Bill Cody
12-22-2010, 03:31 PM

One more time: my preference is for a defensive player. BUT my requirement is for an impact player. AJ Green is a pro bowl talent, bank on it. If there is a pro bowl talent sitting there on the defensive side of the ball when we pick I say go for it. But we need to pick a good player. Who's good and who isn't is the Bills FO's job to know- we're not talking about pulling a diamond out of the 7th round here, were talking a top ten player for Christ sake! I watch games and I can afford a draft guide. And I can honestly tell you I have no doubt, none whatsoever, that I could have drafted better than the Bills in the past decade with no budget and no staff. It's inexcusable what they've done. So my point is there are a lot worse things you can do than pick a pro bowl receiver and you don't have to look far in Bills history to see that.

better days
12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Yea clearly very deep, considering you named only two lineman that fit into our defensive scheme....the other two you keep bringing up only because you are desperate for names.

I love how you play this game without any regard for what any other team may do. its humorous but its not realistic. The only thing we SHOULD be able to do at our pick is get a play-maker. That's it, pinning it down to a position or even a specific individual at this point is beyond ridiculous.

I don't want the Bills to draft a guy with a 2nd rnd grade in the 1st, but if DL is not a deep position isn't that a very good argument to draft a guy with a 1st rnd grade with their 1st pick?

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM

And what is our scheme ? Since you seem to know .

Just like Ngata couldn't " fit our scheme ". OOOOPPPSSSS. Give me Whitner. I'll take my chances with any of those d-linemen over a wr any day. WR's are easily found.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Carlos Rogers was an impact player too, just ask Mattt Millen. That's why he is a commentator instead of a GM now. Top-10 picks on wr's.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Carlos Rogers was an impact player too, just ask Mattt Millen. That's why he is a commentator instead of a GM now. Top-10 picks on wr's.

Hahaha, I was waiting for you to pull out this examples. Charles Rogers had a great rookie season until he got hurt. Was putting Pro Bowl numbers. It was also well known/rumored that Rogers had a drug issue prior to being drafted. Millen took a massive gamble, and you're attempt to cite that as the rule rather than exception is about as terrible as that pick was both now and at the time.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
And what is our scheme ? Since you seem to know .

Just like Ngata couldn't " fit our scheme ". OOOOPPPSSSS. Give me Whitner. I'll take my chances with any of those d-linemen over a wr any day. WR's are easily found.

In case you missed it in the preseason we run a 3-4 base set, that's what our scheme is. I really didnt think that would need to be explained though...

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 06:59 PM
In case you missed it in the preseason we run a 3-4 base set, that's what our scheme is. I really didnt think that would need to be explained though...

I'm sure by your take then none of the top-5 d-linemen would be able to play on our team then. Just don't fit the scheme.
What scheme do you think the Bills have been playing the last 5 or 6 weeks or so on defense ?

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, C. Johnson

That is how you go from gm to the tv booth.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Rogers, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, C. Johnson

That is how you go from gm to the tv booth.

Mike Williams #1 WR on Seattle, Roy Williams #2 WR on Dallas, Calvin Johnson #1 WR on Detroit.

You're making this way too easy for me.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm sure by your take then none of the top-5 d-linemen would be able to play on our team then. Just don't fit the scheme.
What scheme do you think the Bills have been playing the last 5 or 6 weeks or so on defense ?

If you want to blatantly distort my posted opinion then Im sure you can find a way to make me say the bolded above. Dont let facts or honesty get in the way.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
The point is wr's don't win the games, so if you are the gm using top-10 picks on wr's you end up fired.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The point is wr's don't win the games, so if you are the gm using top-10 picks on wr's you end up fired.

Yea we got your point, unfortunately that's not really what the discussion has been about.

Nobody has said take a WR over a DL or OL player who is worth the selection and fits the scheme. That's the connection you are blatantly ignoring.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 10:41 PM
You were one of the experts talking up Green.
I don't care how good of a wr he is, you don't use top-10 picks on them.
Dime a dozen.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 10:47 PM
You were one of the experts talking up Green.
I don't care how good of a wr he is, you don't use top-10 picks on them.
Dime a dozen.

I never once denied taking Green, I said if the DL that fit are gone and he's available you have to look at him and yes I would take him. Its that "if" part that you seem to struggle with for whatever reason.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah Millen tried that four times and it put him in the tv booth.

DraftBoy
12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah Millen tried that four times and it put him in the tv booth.

You're not making any sense at all.

k-oneputt
12-22-2010, 10:54 PM
What don't you understand.
Matt Millen used four top-10 picks on wr's while he was the GM in Detroit.
Recipe for continued losing.
I would like the Bills to win again in the next decade and taking wr's and rb's with top-10 picks isn't the way to do it.

jamze132
12-23-2010, 06:16 AM
So who is your #1? Because honestly in my opinion next to the #1 slot all I see is vacant.
If I had to pick one, I would still say Evans, based on experience.

Are you advocating we draft a WR in the top 10 this year over every position on defense which is a much bigger need?

Bill Cody
12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
What don't you understand.
Matt Millen used four top-10 picks on wr's while he was the GM in Detroit.
Recipe for continued losing.
I would like the Bills to win again in the next decade and taking wr's and rb's with top-10 picks isn't the way to do it.

The problem wasn't picking receivers. The problem was picking busts. Nobody is giving the Lions grief about picking Calvin Johnson. Noone. They're giving them TONS of grief about taking Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. If they had taken a DT that chose drugs over football or a DE that turned out to be slow and out of shape the outcome would have been the same- bus fare for Millen. I generally favor an "inside out" draft strategy, especially for a poor team, but any approach can work if you have a ****ing clue how to draft.

X-Era
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
If I had to pick one, I would still say Evans, based on experience.

Are you advocating we draft a WR in the top 10 this year over every position on defense which is a much bigger need?I would advocate for us not to reach and to take the BPA since we could use better talent in so many different areas. The key is to not reach.

k-oneputt
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Millens problem was he had all the wr's but no qb and his o-line sucked along with his defense.
But they sure looked pretty with Roy Williams on one side and Calvin Johnson on the other while winning 2 or 3 games a year.
The Bills have been using that draft philosphy for a decade, drafting outside first and neglecting the inside. I think Nix will do better but if he pulls the trigger on Green all bets are off.

jamze132
12-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I would advocate for us not to reach and to take the BPA since we could use better talent in so many different areas. The key is to not reach.
I agree, unless the BPA is a WR.

You can't keep going into the draft with SO many needs, especially on defense and keep picking offense "skill positions". We took Spiller last year. We CANNOT take a WR this year. We need to better the front 7 on defense and I'm almost positive you can find someone worthy of a top 10 pick there.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 03:22 AM
The problem wasn't picking receivers. The problem was picking busts. Nobody is giving the Lions grief about picking Calvin Johnson. Noone. They're giving them TONS of grief about taking Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. If they had taken a DT that chose drugs over football or a DE that turned out to be slow and out of shape the outcome would have been the same- bus fare for Millen. I generally favor an "inside out" draft strategy, especially for a poor team, but any approach can work if you have a ****ing clue how to draft.

dude your lack of understanding the game is mind boggling. even if this wr is the next jerry rice it doesnt matter. he is only going to catch on average 5 passes a game. thats 5 plays out of about 70 offensive plays in a game on average. that means you are getting a 8% value with a top 10 pick. not smart.... your oline, your dline, pass rushers who effect the game way more than a wr, a qb obviously all count for every play almost. cb, solid rb, wr, s, mlb are all spots on a team that can be easily replaced and do not have that much of an impact on a game. pass rush, oline and qb play if good enough can win games. hell even if oline is average and qb is average a great pass rush can take you far. its just the nature of the game.

i would seriously rather take gabe carimi ot in the top 10 instead of green. now if oline, dline, qb are set then you take the great wr. its called a luxury pick. although i like the spiller pick and picking a rb isnt as bad as taking a wr or safety, i wish we would have taken brandon graham or bulaga. either way we must take kerrigan, quinn, clayborn, dareus or fairley. it has to be one of those 5. if not, i will be upset...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 03:44 AM
imo the top spots are like this

1-qb
2-pass rusher
3-LT
4- RUN D

everything else gets filled based on who is bpa at your need of cb, g, s, mlb, wr, te, rb etc...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 03:50 AM
lets say i have the number 1 pick, and randy moss in his prime is available along with demarcus ware, julius peppers and ndamukong suh, im taking the dlineman every time. even if someone like robert mathis was available or jake long i would take long, or mathis... not the wr...

psubills62
12-24-2010, 06:08 PM
dude your lack of understanding the game is mind boggling. even if this wr is the next jerry rice it doesnt matter. he is only going to catch on average 5 passes a game. thats 5 plays out of about 70 offensive plays in a game on average. that means you are getting a 8% value with a top 10 pick. not smart.... your oline, your dline, pass rushers who effect the game way more than a wr, a qb obviously all count for every play almost. cb, solid rb, wr, s, mlb are all spots on a team that can be easily replaced and do not have that much of an impact on a game. pass rush, oline and qb play if good enough can win games. hell even if oline is average and qb is average a great pass rush can take you far. its just the nature of the game.

i would seriously rather take gabe carimi ot in the top 10 instead of green. now if oline, dline, qb are set then you take the great wr. its called a luxury pick. although i like the spiller pick and picking a rb isnt as bad as taking a wr or safety, i wish we would have taken brandon graham or bulaga. either way we must take kerrigan, quinn, clayborn, dareus or fairley. it has to be one of those 5. if not, i will be upset...
Your lack of understanding of the game is mind boggling. You really feel like you can reduce the effects of a stud wide receiver to "8% value" based on receptions per game? Remind me again how often linemen actually touch the ball? Not smart...

psubills62
12-24-2010, 06:13 PM
lets say i have the number 1 pick, and randy moss in his prime is available along with demarcus ware, julius peppers and ndamukong suh, im taking the dlineman every time. even if someone like robert mathis was available or jake long i would take long, or mathis... not the wr...

Easy to say if you know they'll be studs. How about guys like Derrick Harvey, Aaron Maybin, Tyson Jackson? Would you take them over a Jerry Rice? How about Glenn Dorsey and Vernon Gholston? You really feel like paying a mediocre DL $50 million over a stud WR?

It's idiotic to completely rule out a certain position when considering what to draft.

Mad Max
12-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Peppers over Moss all day every day.

Jake Long over Moss? That's a credibility body blow.

Mad Max
12-24-2010, 06:24 PM

You would take a second round value RT over Green in the top 5 of the first round?

It's a hackneyed expression I admit, but I am glad that you are not a decision maker for the organization.

YardRat
12-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Ummm....No. A true stud #1 receiver has much more value to the entire offense than simply the number of balls he catches per game.

If Luck doesn't declare, and Peterson, Dareus and Bowers are gone, you have to at the very least seriously consider Green. I don't want Quinn, Newton or Mallett unless they fall into the second, and I have to disagree slightly with DB about Fairley...I think he can play DE in a 34.

Buffalogic
12-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Umm yeah if defensive studs are gone I'm all for taking Green. I believe in BPA hence I wanted Spiller in the draft. You keep selecting guys like that and in 2 to 4 years you have this great young team dominating that seemingly came out of nowhere.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Ummm....No. A true stud #1 receiver has much more value to the entire offense than simply the number of balls he catches per game.

If Luck doesn't declare, and Peterson, Dareus and Bowers are gone, you have to at the very least seriously consider Green. I don't want Quinn, Newton or Mallett unless they fall into the second, and I have to disagree slightly with DB about Fairley...I think he can play DE in a 34.

so lets say the bills are picking 6th.

aj green, ryan kerrigan, robert quinn, marcell dareus, adrian clayborn, are all on the board, who do you take?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
im taking dareus or kerrigan.

YardRat
12-25-2010, 06:56 AM
so lets say the bills are picking 6th.

aj green, ryan kerrigan, robert quinn, marcell dareus, adrian clayborn, are all on the board, who do you take?

Dareus or Green.

I would take Amukamara before Kerrigan, Quinn, or Clayborn.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Dareus or Green.

I would take Amukamara before Kerrigan, Quinn, or Clayborn.

dude if we take aj green, i mean where will he play? 4th wr?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-25-2010, 07:12 AM
do you just trade lee evans for a 3rd or 4th?

YardRat
12-25-2010, 08:02 AM

That would depend on how quickly he adapts to the NFL level, which could take some time (it usually does with WR's), but he wouldn't be any lower than #3 for sure. I could see Green and Evans as 1 and 2, with Stevie moving into the 3 slot like he did earlier in the year when he lost the starting position to Parrish. BTW...Don't bother bringing up support for Parrish...He's a china doll that I would gladly swap out for Green on the roster.

Dr. Lecter
12-25-2010, 08:13 AM

4th?

Seriously?

He is better than Johnson. Better than Davis Nelson or Parrish.

How the hell do you figure 4th?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-25-2010, 08:39 AM
4th?

Seriously?

Look dude, i think he is good, but hes not randy moss or jerry rice...

better days
12-25-2010, 09:49 AM
4th?

Seriously?

How can you say he is better than Stevie Johnson when he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet? Pure speculation.