The 3-4 is dead, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

The 3-4 is dead, right?

The switch to the 3-4 failed. Our best defender is a 4-3 DT. So, we're going to stick with the 4-3 and build around Kyle Williams, right?
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Re: The 3-4 is dead, right?

i think we will run a hybrid as long as gailey is here...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
      i think we will run a hybrid as long as gailey is here...
      I'm OK with it. If we can get a big pass rusher and bulk up KW, we could switch to the 3-4 full time.
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I don't think the team is going to run a whole lot of 3-4 the rest of this season, but I do expect they will add more 3-4 personnel in the offseason. I think the Bills will make another go at it next season, maybe keeping the idea of a hybrid available too. I think the pickup of Kevin Heard is a sign the 3-4 is not dead long term.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

They had better get some 3-4 pass rushers then.
          That would be Quinn but idk what Nix thinks about his situation.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by k-oneputt
            They had better get some 3-4 pass rushers then.
            That would be Quinn but idk what Nix thinks about his situation.
            i guarantee kerrigan who is a badass will be the pick!

Comment

• Akhippo
              • Nov 2002

If you get playmakers it shouldnt make to much of a difference. Just get big athletic guys. The NT position is really the only spot that is dependent on a specific type. But even Dallas plays with a light NT.
              Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                i think we will run a hybrid as long as we lack the talent to run either the 3-4 or the 4-3 properly...
                I fixed it for you.

But, back to the original question: Kyle Williams is good, but not quite good enough to build a defense around. I suspect that the team will pick up some front 7 players who are a better fit for the 3-4 in the off-season and keep moving in that direction. Next year, we will probably still see a bit of a hybrid but with more emphasis on the 3-4, and by the season after that, we should be a consistent 3-4 team (assuming the players we get in the next two off-seasons turn out to be good choices).
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  Kyle Williams is good, but not quite good enough to build a defense around. I suspect that the team will pick up some front 7 players who are a better fit for the 3-4 in the off-season and keep moving in that direction. Next year, we will probably still see a bit of a hybrid but with more emphasis on the 3-4, and by the season after that, we should be a consistent 3-4 team (assuming the players we get in the next two off-seasons turn out to be good choices).
                  Agreed for the most part. Personnel has and will continue to limit us to what we can do. I could see us maintaining a hybrid element from here on. The fact that 3-4 LBs and 4-3 DEs are interchangeable give us the flexibility to run either. With Williams, we have a DT who can go 3-4 or 4-3, giving us added flexibility. I'd like to see us go about 11-12 deep on the front 7, giving us a ton of options in the package we can use there.

Since we've ditched the Cover 2, our DBs are more traditional in their assignments now (heavy man for the CBs, dynamic safeties who can cover, fill the box or blitz). That means we can get by with the same four there, so we can spend most of our attention on the front 7 through the draft and FA.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                    • Sep 2008

I fixed it for you.

But, back to the original question: Kyle Williams is good, but not quite good enough to build a defense around. I suspect that the team will pick up some front 7 players who are a better fit for the 3-4 in the off-season and keep moving in that direction. Next year, we will probably still see a bit of a hybrid but with more emphasis on the 3-4, and by the season after that, we should be a consistent 3-4 team (assuming the players we get in the next two off-seasons turn out to be good choices).
                    Why isn't Williams good enough to build a defense around? what's he got to do, walk on water? He is second in the league among all Dlineman in tackles, 5th in sacks among DTs and NTs in his first year in a 3/4 defense. But he isn't good enough. LMAO...
                    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 12-23-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Crisis
                      • Aug 2004

I would've agreed with OP last year, but this year kyle has definitely won me over....i always thought he was a serviceable player but he's definitely working his way into elite if he's not there yet.
                      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                      Vanek is Austrian not European
                      Originally posted by Prov401
                      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                      Originally posted by better days
                      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Most of the D formations lately have been of the 4-3 variety. The Bills were getting trampled by the opposing running game in the 3-4, during the 0-8 start.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                          Why isn't Williams good enough to build a defense around? what's he got to do, walk on water? He is second in the league among all Dlineman in tackles, 5th in sacks among DTs and NTs in his first year in a 3/4 defense. But he isn't good enough. LMAO...
                          because he's been that way for what? The last 10 games or so out of a 5 year career?

Look, he's a good player and he's having a great season. He's proven me wrong because I was afraid he'd be out of place in this D. But building a D around him as if he is going to stay that great for the rest of his career is a HUGE gamble.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

because he's been that way for what? The last 10 games or so out of a 5 year career?

Look, he's a good player and he's having a great season. He's proven me wrong because I was afraid he'd be out of place in this D. But building a D around him as if he is going to stay that great for the rest of his career is a HUGE gamble.
                            He was drafted in 06 so this would be his 4th year & his 1st under Gailey. I think he is having a pro bowl year myself. He is definitely a starter in the NFL.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days
                              He was drafted in 06 so this would be his 4th year & his 1st under Gailey. I think he is having a pro bowl year myself. He is definitely a starter in the NFL.

This is his fifth year- count 'em if you have to.

I agree, he is definitely a starter in the NFL. And he looks like one of those guys who can play well in any system. Both of those are huge assets. He's an above average NFL talent, possibly on the verge of becoming elite. But there are only maybe 6 defenders in the league right now that you can really build your D around. I just think doing that right now is still way too risky.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X