PDA

View Full Version : Riemersma rumors still all over

casdhf
09-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Given that he has quarterback Drew Bledsoe in his corner, it would be surprising if Buffalo Bills starting tight end Jay Riemersma was released before Sunday's opener against the Jets, but it could still happen. Buffalo officials have been attempting to have Riemersma accept a reduction from his scheduled base salary of $2.55 million, and so far he has declined. General manager Tom Donahoe met with Riemersma earlier this week, told him he felt he was a good player, but also acknowledged he disagreed with the tight end's stance on the pay cut. If Riemersma is with the team on Sunday, his entire salary is guaranteed, because he is a "vested" veteran. The Bills released longtime kicker Steve Christie on the eve of the 2001 season, but that was different, since he was injured. Riemersma has a bothersome history of nagging injuries but, despite leading the Bills in dropped passes a year ago, is a solid player in the "red zone" and a guy Bledsoe really likes. Still, this is a situation that bears watching, even as late as Saturday evening

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1428008.html

?

Ð
09-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Again...reems should stick to his guns...
Honor my contract or I'm outta here :(

lordofgun
09-06-2002, 06:01 PM
I agree. They gave Riemersma the contract. He shouldn't have to restructure if he doesn't want. Just like a team shouldn't have to pay more than they agreed.

Maybe they overpaid him. Tough. Pay him or cut him.

casdhf
09-06-2002, 06:48 PM
If it would help the cause next year, I don't see why he wouldn't

venis2k1
09-06-2002, 07:24 PM
would you take a pay cut at your job to help the company you work for. i dont know if i would.

The_Philster
09-06-2002, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't, venis2k1, but I don't make the millions of $$ that pro athletes do.

RedEyE
09-06-2002, 07:41 PM
I would be really suprised if they let him go, but then again we didn't have that suprise player cut yet this season. At least one big unpopular cut every year.

bduff54
09-06-2002, 07:52 PM
if they let him go who would be the recieving tight end?? no way this happens, it would be ahorrible move. Dave moore is not a quality recieving tight end!

colin
09-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
would you take a pay cut at your job to help the company you work for. i dont know if i would.

You are looking at this all wrong.

If your employer was paying you a whole lot more than you could make anywhere else, and you were not performing all that well, if they gave you a new offer that was less than your previous salary but still way more than you could make anywhere else, what would you do?

Why do you guys want Reimersma to refuse a paycut? If they cut his ass, he will get the minimum.

Moore had some big catches, he is fine.

Novacane
09-06-2002, 08:06 PM
I agree with Colin. If They cut JR now he will really be lucky to get anything more than minimum salary. All cap$$$ are tied up most places. Since we have the cap room I would not cut him now but definately cut his a$$ next season if he does not have a huge year or take a huge pay cut.

Ð
09-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by colin

You are looking at this all wrong.

If your employer was paying you a whole lot more than you could make anywhere else, and you were not performing all that well, if they gave you a new offer that was less than your previous salary but still way more than you could make anywhere else, what would you do?

Why do you guys want Reimersma to refuse a paycut? If they cut his ass, he will get the minimum.

Moore had some big catches, he is fine.

If it was way more than anyplace else, he would have considered it. Sounds like TD is trying to lowball him at close to minimum & it's a battle of balls at this point. I think Reems has the bigger balls & TD is just trying to shake him down. No mater what, he'll be gone next year...would you stick around if you had some ****head trying to lowball you?

Novacane
09-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Doug...............I can't believe you are feeling sorry for JR.

bduff54
09-06-2002, 08:30 PM
i agree with Doug. just because these atheltes make way more than us does mean they have to accept being treated unfairly. The bills signed him to a contract it is their job to honor it and work out ways to stay under the cap, it's not remersma's duty to help them out!

Novacane
09-06-2002, 08:38 PM
He is not being treated unfairly Bduff. It's called business.

It basically looks like a poker game to me. JR is calling TD's bluff.

That said.........I don't think they should cut him now. If they were going to ax him it should have been at the final cut. To do it now would create a big distraction going into Sunday which would be foolish IMO.

venis2k1
09-06-2002, 08:51 PM
I think that moore is being paid too much for a back up. i say drop one of the two.

bduff54
09-06-2002, 09:07 PM
why would we drop them, i believe we are like 3 million under the cap. what else are we goona get?

Novacane
09-06-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bduff54
why would we drop them, i believe we are like 3 million under the cap. what else are we goona get?

If TD does ax JR I think it will only be because he does not like to be turned down like JR has. As you said we don't need the cap space.

Rebecky
09-06-2002, 09:26 PM
So JR is the only overpaid player in the NFL? What would it cost the team to have this kind of a shakeup before the Jets game? How would it affect Drew -- and the rest of the season?

If TD decides to flex his muscles and cut JR as a show of power (or ego trip), it could backfire and end up costing TD his own job. He has to know this -- if he doesn't, he's not fit to be a GM.

Novacane
09-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I agree with you rebecky that a cut now would be very bad timing.

I don't think it would cost TD his job though and he has proven he is fit to be a GM. We are lucky to have him IMO

clumping platelets
09-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Riemersma is willing to restructure BUT he wants guaranteed $$$ up front...that is convert salary to signing bonus. That's what BUTTler did and it got us into serious cap hell.

Riemersma should take be willing to take a modest pay cut both this year and next as part of an extension. Modest for this year? $750,000 and since he's scheduled to make $3.5 million in 2003, $1 million. Add 2 years to his deal and give him $2 million signing bonus to extend the deal.

Bills save $250,000 on 2002 cap
Bills save $500,000 on 2003 cap
and TD has opportunity to structure 2004 & 2005 to his liking as opposed to inheriting yet another BUTTler contract

Tatonka
09-06-2002, 10:56 PM
so moulds sucked last year.. and he is paid HELLA JACK.. i guess since he underperformed last year, we should ask him to take a pay cut too? /scoff

bduff54
09-06-2002, 11:04 PM
exactly tatonka, it is not there duty to take these pay cuts. A players career is very short and i would not be willing to take a pay cut just because the team singles me out to. why not moulds?

clumping platelets
09-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Moulds salary is lower than Jay's

colin
09-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bduff54
i agree with Doug. just because these atheltes make way more than us does mean they have to accept being treated unfairly. The bills signed him to a contract it is their job to honor it and work out ways to stay under the cap, it's not remersma's duty to help them out!

The contract allows for the team to cut a player, they are not dishonouring their contract by playing hard ball. Reimersma should take a pay cut (unless he knows the Bills are only bluffing) because his alternative is worse.

Rebeky,

cutting Reim won't have a big effect on the team, he has not been a producer on the feild. We have wide outs and backs that can catch and two other TEs, at least a couple of our skill players will not be used to their potential because there is only one ball. If Riem has to go, he has to go.

Ð
09-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Doug...............I can't believe you are feeling sorry for JR.

Who said I felt sorry for him...It's the principle...a contract is a contract is a contract

Bert102176
09-07-2002, 12:20 PM
I just feel that if the Bills lose Jay it'll be one of their dumber moves, Riemersma is one of my favorite players, and I tottaly agree with Doug.

casdhf
09-07-2002, 12:30 PM
His contract was from the last guy, TD has no reason not to ask him to take a small pay cut

Ð
09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Jeez, lawyers would have a field day with you, Cas :)

Novacane
09-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
so moulds sucked last year.. and he is paid HELLA JACK.. i guess since he underperformed last year, we should ask him to take a pay cut too? /scoff

BIG DIFFERANCE! Moulds sucked last season because we had a moron as OC that would not get him the ball. JR has serious dropsies last year. He has a lot to prove this year. I think he is overated by many Bills fans. We will see I guess.

Ð
09-08-2002, 01:32 PM
So reems didn't have the same OC ?!?!?!