PDA

View Full Version : paul soliai? should we go after him?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
i was wondering about a scenario to improve our run d in the offseason...

would you guys be willing to move kyle williams to 34de and sign paul soliai(he is a unrestricted free agent after this season) to start at nt?

gailey said he is the best nt out there...

so our line would be...

alex carrington/ spencer johnson
paul soliai/ torell troup
kyle williams/ dwan edwards

NOT THE DUDE...
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
im sure we would even have some 43 packages where williams and soliai are the dts...

YardRat
12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4365&line=196260&spln=1

Dolphins NT Paul Soliai, an impending free agent, is expected to be in high demand in 2011.
Originally penciled in as a backup to Randy Starks at the beginning of the season, Soliai has keyed a run defense that has allowed just 54.5 yard at 2.3 per carry over the past four games. At 6'4" and 355 pounds, he has ideal size for a 3-4 nose tackle. Pro Football Focus ranks Soliai as the 13th best interior lineman in the NFL this year.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
he would probably command 6-8 mil a year... give dontes money to soliai...

X-Era
12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Kyle Williams is having a pro-bowl worthy career year. I'm not sure I would mess with that unless were convinced he can do even more as a 3-4 DE.

On the DL, I think I'd like to look at rooks. Guys like Dareus, Bowers, Jordan, maybe even Casey. Another guy I like a lot is JJ Watts.

In FA I would spend my money at LB.

Id go after players like:

Woodley
Greenway
Harris
Ruud
Maybe even Dhani Jones (assuming we still draft a ILB which is likely)

At RT I would look at:

Tyson Clabo
Doug Free

But I like the options in the draft:

Round 2- Sherrod or Love
Round 4- Zeimba or Hairston

NOT THE DUDE...
12-22-2010, 09:31 PM
we are dead last in run d.... i just think we need to make some big changes. its not like kyle williams hasnt played de before.... im confident he can make the transition...

X-Era
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
we are dead last in run d.... i just think we need to make some big changes. its not like kyle williams hasnt played de before.... im confident he can make the transition...So, my opinion on our run D problems is this: We can't seem to shed blocks. Now, beefing up on the DL would seem to be a good solution where the added strength ought to help us shed blocks and make the tackle. But, we alos need pass rush and usually, a DL player is one or the other, not both.

My approach to the problem is to add better OLB's and ILB's as well as a DE who can shed blocks.

But, if Williams can be even better as a DE, I would have no problem with that move.

ParanoidAndroid
12-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Williams-Soliai-Edwards would be a fantastic line.... our ILB's would run free....
We need at least one OLB.
Kerrigan is not fast enough or quick enough to be a pass rusher from the OLB spot. He'll be Kelsay 2.0 I'll take Von Miller over him in a heartbeat. That said, neither of them will be worth a top 10 pick.
On the other hand, Robert Quinn might be.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Williams-Soliai-Edwards would be a fantastic line.... our ILB's would run free....
We need at least one OLB.
Kerrigan is not fast enough or quick enough to be a pass rusher from the OLB spot. He'll be Kelsay 2.0 I'll take Von Miller over him in a heartbeat. That said, neither of them will be worth a top 10 pick.
On the other hand, Robert Quinn might be.

i agree with the first part, although i think carrington will start or at least get more reps.

ive seen the tape on kerrigan and he can stand up, hes done it a few times. he also has above average speed. hes no different than anthony spencer or terrell suggs. he is way better than kelsay dude. im pretty sure kelsay never got more than 5 or 7 sacks a year at nebraska. kerrigan had 7 his sophmore year, i think 10 jr year and 13 this year, including 4 against ohio state. he dominated for 2 years now. he is a lock to be a very good pass rusher.

just because he is white does not mean he is kelsay. kerrigan is top 10 pick, kelsay was a 2nd, or 3rd rd talent....

YardRat
12-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Kelsay was a projected first-rounder and many (including myself) thought he was going to be the pick instead of McGahee. At the time, he 'slid' to us in the second.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Kelsay was a projected first-rounder and many (including myself) thought he was going to be the pick instead of McGahee. At the time, he 'slid' to us in the second.

thats true. im just saying i personally had him as a 2nd rounder...

either way if you want to compare kerrigan to someone i would say chris long is the best comparison...

Extremebillsfan247
12-23-2010, 05:59 AM
i was wondering about a scenario to improve our run d in the offseason...

would you guys be willing to move kyle williams to 34de and sign paul soliai(he is a unrestricted free agent after this season) to start at nt?

gailey said he is the best nt out there...

so our line would be...

paul soliai/ torell troup
kyle williams/ dwan edwardsKyle Williams is doing just fine where he is. Why would you want to disrupt that? if adding someone for depth purposes is an angle, I could go with that. But, bringing a guy in to move Williams over is not something that will improve your defense.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Kyle Williams is doing just fine where he is. Why would you want to disrupt that? if adding someone for depth purposes is an angle, I could go with that. But, bringing a guy in to move Williams over is not something that will improve your defense.

i respect that, maybe our poor run d has something to do with LB talent. guys like ayodele do not belong. also the run d could be bad because our players our not used to a new system. against miami they played great run d... either way we need to pick up at least 2 new dlineman and 3 linebackers....

methos4ever
12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Kyle Williams is doing just fine where he is. Why would you want to disrupt that? if adding someone for depth purposes is an angle, I could go with that. But, bringing a guy in to move Williams over is not something that will improve your defense.
Don't forget that the Ravens use Ngata a ton at DE as well in order to keep Lewis or the OLB clean depending on the play/blitz.

We could do the same, but with Soliai. You put 355 at the 5 tech, you keep whoever over there going one on one with a back or a chipping TE.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Don't forget that the Ravens use Ngata a ton at DE as well in order to keep Lewis or the OLB clean depending on the play/blitz.

We could do the same, but with Soliai. You put 355 at the 5 tech, you keep whoever over there going one on one with a back or a chipping TE.

that would be interesting.... i didnt think of putting soliai at de...

i read that he is nimble and fast for his size... hmmm so...

paul soliai/ dwan edwards
kyle williams/ torell troup

would anyone be in favor of this?? keep in mind you can move lots of these guys around 34, 43, etc...

Extremebillsfan247
12-23-2010, 06:35 AM

This defense is a very long way off from being the kind of defense that could afford to move Williams around like Ngata. Now, if we stuck with a sort of hybrid 4/3, I could see how adding a guy to put next to Williams would help. But keep in mind, being stout in the middle of the line wont stop teams from bouncing it outside where this defense has shown its vulnerable. Unless our LB core as a whole is stout, teams will continue to eat up yards on the ground no matter how many Dlineman we pick up off the free agent market.

Night Train
12-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Unless Troup can become bigger & stronger, a Ted Washington type is a crying need for the Bills.

ParanoidAndroid
12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
i agree with the first part, although i think carrington will start or at least get more reps.

ive seen the tape on kerrigan and he can stand up, hes done it a few times. he also has above average speed. hes no different than anthony spencer or terrell suggs. he is way better than kelsay dude. im pretty sure kelsay never got more than 5 or 7 sacks a year at nebraska. kerrigan had 7 his sophmore year, i think 10 jr year and 13 this year, including 4 against ohio state. he dominated for 2 years now. he is a lock to be a very good pass rusher.

just because he is white does not mean he is kelsay. kerrigan is top 10 pick, kelsay was a 2nd, or 3rd rd talent....

Who the hell said anything about his skin color? He's no Suggs...... Kelsay was a pretty decent and improving 4-3 DE who looks like a liability at OLB. That's what you will be doing with Kerrigan. He's a mid-late 1st rounder and that's as a 4-3 DE. No way is he worth a high pick to play OLB. He's not the athlete that the Bills need. Quinn and Miller are both better suited for the NFL at OLB. It's not even close.

Mahdi
12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
we are dead last in run d.... i just think we need to make some big changes. its not like kyle williams hasnt played de before.... im confident he can make the transition...
When has KW played DE?

And KW is not a 3-4 DE. NT worked out for him because he has the strength and the correct height for a NT being only 6'1. But a 3-4 DE should be tall and have length.

KW will be the NT going forward and the Bills will just add to the DE and LB corps.

methos4ever
12-23-2010, 09:47 AM
This defense is a very long way off from being the kind of defense that could afford to move Williams around like Ngata.
I agree - that's why, in my post I was advocating for Soliai to move around from NT to DE depending on the situation.

If you look at the Ravens, they use the beef trinity of Kelly Gregg, Ngata and J. Johnson to control the midline to strong side of the defense. I would not mind at all having the same occur with Williams at Nose/3T, Soliai at Nose or 5T and a heavy at LB'er (whomever that is) to help out the run game.

ddaryl
12-23-2010, 10:28 AM
this would be the kind of FA move we need to make. We need to get better on the front 7.

Kyle is fast and can be moved around on the line, but as a NT anchor he needs help. His strength is being quick, and putting an unmovable object next to him that would command a double team would make Kyle very dangerous IMO.

But this is the Bills and it's hard to convince a top FA to come here

EDS
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I think if the Bills consider Kyle Williams a lynchpin of their defense they need to go with a 4-3. The fact that the top defensive linemen in the draft are also best suited for a 4-3 provides an additional factor in such a move.

Buffalogic
12-25-2010, 03:27 AM
Throw all our money at woodley and david Harris and try to make a legit 3-4 with actual linebackers.

Beebe's Kid
12-26-2010, 03:06 AM
this would be the kind of FA move we need to make. We need to get better on the front 7.

Kyle is fast and can be moved around on the line, but as a NT anchor he needs help. His strength is being quick, and putting an unmovable object next to him that would command a double team would make Kyle very dangerous IMO.

But this is the Bills and it's hard to convince a top FA to come here
This is what I was thinking...

Isn't Kyle's strength of being quick and beating blockers what you want out of a 3-4 DE? Could part of the reason the LB's had such a hard time in the 3-4 wad because the NT didnt occupy blockers freeing up gaps?

I'm not knocking Kyle, but Mitchell has a decent idea, perhaps. I don't see this as "messing" with Kyle, but improving our front 7 and getting the most out of who we have, and bringing in talent to help fill in the gaps. This move may be even better than the move this year was for Kyle...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-26-2010, 03:39 AM
the only 2 reservations i have about getting soliai is that why mess with a all pro like kyle williams. obviously he is a inside guy. 2nd- torell troup may be that guy as he is getting better each week and im sure we can count on him to be even a little bigger/stronger next year...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 07:07 AM
changed my mind.

move kyle williams our best dlineman to end, GET SOLIAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because kyle penetrates 1 gap and doesnt 2 gap he is leaving massive holes in between the tackles, and letting our 2 ilb get covered. you NEED A 2GAP NT