X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Let me tell you the story of a QB....

This guy was a 28-year-old career backup, a guy who nobody thought very much about. He was backing up a guy who was anointed #1 going into the season, on a team that had success in the distant past, but not a winning record in 6 seasons.

During the year, the #1 QB plays himself out of the job and this career backup steps in mid-season and plays better than anyone expected. He provides stability to the offense and wins 5 of the last 7 games that year, on a team playing out the string for a new head coach after a poor start. His numbers are pretty good:

181-for-288 (62.8%), 2,046 Yds (7.1 Yds/Att), 13 TD, 8 Int, 87.5 QB Rating.

Those numbers put him in the top half of the league for QBs, and his ability to get some wins and play well led the team to install him as the starting QB going into the next season. Instead of addressing the QB position, they decide to make the team around him stronger. You can win with the guy, they thought.

That team was the 2008 SF 49ers. The QB was Shaun Hill.

In restrospect, one has to wonder if the 49ers would have been better off drafting Josh Freeman after that season. They are still looking for a QB.

Just a precautionary tale, not to stir things up but to make you think.
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: Let me tell you the story of a QB....

Awesome story...you left out that he was benched by an unstable Singletary in favor of the multimillion dollar "Franchise" guy Alex Smith...

Then he was traded to Detroit, and he got to back up another "Franchise" guy, Stafford, until he took his normal seat on the shelf, and Hill came in and played the same way that gets Stafford praised.

Hill has never looked bad in the NFL...Given a chance to be a regular QB he could possibly thrive...hopefully he gets a job where there isn't a 1st overall pick that can't quite get his **** together, but gets multiple chances.

If there is any lesson to learn here, it may be that you don't draft a QB first overall, because you can get the same results out of Shaun Hill.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Its not my job to make the calls in April. But the big difference in your comparission is Hill was managing games and keeping his team close.

Fitzy is winning football games for this team. And he's making good football teams sweat... Chicago, Pitt and Baltimore.

Also, zero of Hill's 5 wins were against a winning team.
      Last edited by The King; 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

I disagree 100% Fitz > Hill. I watched a lot of 49ers games when Hill was the QB. He was terrible. He was Trent Edwards Sr. He's also made of glass.

Comparing Hill and Fitz is stupid. Just because they are both backups who have had starting opportunities doesn't make them comparable. Trust me, if Hill was the Bills' QB this year, everyone here would be having a stroke.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
          This guy was a 28-year-old career backup, a guy who nobody thought very much about. He was backing up a guy who was anointed #1 going into the season, on a team that had success in the distant past, but not a winning record in 6 seasons.

During the year, the #1 QB plays himself out of the job and this career backup steps in mid-season and plays better than anyone expected. He provides stability to the offense and wins 5 of the last 7 games that year, on a team playing out the string for a new head coach after a poor start. His numbers are pretty good:

181-for-288 (62.8%), 2,046 Yds (7.1 Yds/Att), 13 TD, 8 Int, 87.5 QB Rating.

Those numbers put him in the top half of the league for QBs, and his ability to get some wins and play well led the team to install him as the starting QB going into the next season. Instead of addressing the QB position, they decide to make the team around him stronger. You can win with the guy, they thought.

That team was the 2008 SF 49ers. The QB was Shaun Hill.

In restrospect, one has to wonder if the 49ers would have been better off drafting Josh Freeman after that season. They are still looking for a QB.

Well he has played pretty well for the Lions, maybe the 49ers should have kept him.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

PS, ask any 49ers fan what they think of Hill.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

I'm OK drafting a QB to groom, but there is no one in FA or the draft that will take Fitz's spot in 2011.

Fitz will be the Bills starter in 2011 without a single doubt no matter what anyone thinks, suggests wishes for or accepts

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                  PS, ask any 49ers fan what they think of Hill.
                  I did not watch him with the 49ers, maybe he was a bad fit for that system or maybe he grew as a QB in Detroit, all I know is he is playing pretty well this year.

Comment

• Luisito23
                    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                    • Apr 2003

Exactly...If he didn't mean to stir things up, then this thread should never have existed.
                    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard
                      Its not my job to make the calls in April. But the big difference in your comparission is Hill was managing games and keeping his team close.

Fitzy is winning football games for this team. And he's making good football teams sweat... Chicago, Pitt and Baltimore.

Also, zero of Hill's 5 wins were against a winning team.
                      Really? Hill had a better completion percentage and Yds/Att than Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has thrown TDs at a much higher rate, but Hills Int% was half the rate of Fitzpatrick. Hill played very well in 2008.

As you your last comment, are you going to list all the winning teams Buffalo beat this year?

Both guys were 28. Both played better than they had in the past. It is a very good comparison. Hill isn't a bad QB, but he isn't a guy to make you think your QB issue is resolved, either.
                      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Luisito23
                        Exactly...If he didn't mean to stir things up, then this thread should never have existed.
                        I posted it because I think it is an apt analogy.

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Let me tell you the story of a coach who has yet to win a SB without cheating...You may, or may not know him?
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

We'll see whose tune changes after he beats the F'in Pats.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                              Awesome story...you left out that he was benched by an unstable Singletary in favor of the multimillion dollar "Franchise" guy Alex Smith...

If there is any lesson to learn here, it may be that you don't draft a QB first overall, because you can get the same results out of Shaun Hill.
                              Smith was benched for Hill before Hill had his career year, and SF made the mistake of thinking Hill solved their problems. When Hill couldn't live up to that, they had to turn back to Smith because they hadn't addressed the issue.

That is the point. If you think a 28-year old career back-up has resolved the long-term QB issue, you made a mistake. SF made the mistake of thinking they didn't need to address QB after that year, and they are still paying for it.

Fitzpatrick has played well this year, but not so well anyone is going to think Buffalo has found the answer at QB long-term. They need to still address the QB position.

Comment

Working...
                              X