PDA

View Full Version : Let me tell you the story of a QB....

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
This guy was a 28-year-old career backup, a guy who nobody thought very much about. He was backing up a guy who was anointed #1 going into the season, on a team that had success in the distant past, but not a winning record in 6 seasons.

During the year, the #1 QB plays himself out of the job and this career backup steps in mid-season and plays better than anyone expected. He provides stability to the offense and wins 5 of the last 7 games that year, on a team playing out the string for a new head coach after a poor start. His numbers are pretty good:

181-for-288 (62.8%), 2,046 Yds (7.1 Yds/Att), 13 TD, 8 Int, 87.5 QB Rating.

Those numbers put him in the top half of the league for QBs, and his ability to get some wins and play well led the team to install him as the starting QB going into the next season. Instead of addressing the QB position, they decide to make the team around him stronger. You can win with the guy, they thought.

That team was the 2008 SF 49ers. The QB was Shaun Hill.

In restrospect, one has to wonder if the 49ers would have been better off drafting Josh Freeman after that season. They are still looking for a QB.

Just a precautionary tale, not to stir things up but to make you think.

Beebe's Kid
12-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Awesome story...you left out that he was benched by an unstable Singletary in favor of the multimillion dollar "Franchise" guy Alex Smith...

Then he was traded to Detroit, and he got to back up another "Franchise" guy, Stafford, until he took his normal seat on the shelf, and Hill came in and played the same way that gets Stafford praised.

Hill has never looked bad in the NFL...Given a chance to be a regular QB he could possibly thrive...hopefully he gets a job where there isn't a 1st overall pick that can't quite get his **** together, but gets multiple chances.

If there is any lesson to learn here, it may be that you don't draft a QB first overall, because you can get the same results out of Shaun Hill.

The King
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Its not my job to make the calls in April. But the big difference in your comparission is Hill was managing games and keeping his team close.

Fitzy is winning football games for this team. And he's making good football teams sweat... Chicago, Pitt and Baltimore.

Also, zero of Hill's 5 wins were against a winning team.

Forward_Lateral
I disagree 100% Fitz > Hill. I watched a lot of 49ers games when Hill was the QB. He was terrible. He was Trent Edwards Sr. He's also made of glass.

Comparing Hill and Fitz is stupid. Just because they are both backups who have had starting opportunities doesn't make them comparable. Trust me, if Hill was the Bills' QB this year, everyone here would be having a stroke.

better days
This guy was a 28-year-old career backup, a guy who nobody thought very much about. He was backing up a guy who was anointed #1 going into the season, on a team that had success in the distant past, but not a winning record in 6 seasons.

During the year, the #1 QB plays himself out of the job and this career backup steps in mid-season and plays better than anyone expected. He provides stability to the offense and wins 5 of the last 7 games that year, on a team playing out the string for a new head coach after a poor start. His numbers are pretty good:

181-for-288 (62.8%), 2,046 Yds (7.1 Yds/Att), 13 TD, 8 Int, 87.5 QB Rating.

Those numbers put him in the top half of the league for QBs, and his ability to get some wins and play well led the team to install him as the starting QB going into the next season. Instead of addressing the QB position, they decide to make the team around him stronger. You can win with the guy, they thought.

That team was the 2008 SF 49ers. The QB was Shaun Hill.

In restrospect, one has to wonder if the 49ers would have been better off drafting Josh Freeman after that season. They are still looking for a QB.

Well he has played pretty well for the Lions, maybe the 49ers should have kept him.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
PS, ask any 49ers fan what they think of Hill.

ddaryl
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm OK drafting a QB to groom, but there is no one in FA or the draft that will take Fitz's spot in 2011.

Fitz will be the Bills starter in 2011 without a single doubt no matter what anyone thinks, suggests wishes for or accepts

Novacane
12-23-2010, 02:13 PM

:bs:

better days
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM

I did not watch him with the 49ers, maybe he was a bad fit for that system or maybe he grew as a QB in Detroit, all I know is he is playing pretty well this year.

Luisito23
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Exactly...If he didn't mean to stir things up, then this thread should never have existed. :drive:

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Its not my job to make the calls in April. But the big difference in your comparission is Hill was managing games and keeping his team close.

Fitzy is winning football games for this team. And he's making good football teams sweat... Chicago, Pitt and Baltimore.

Really? Hill had a better completion percentage and Yds/Att than Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has thrown TDs at a much higher rate, but Hills Int% was half the rate of Fitzpatrick. Hill played very well in 2008.

As you your last comment, are you going to list all the winning teams Buffalo beat this year?

Both guys were 28. Both played better than they had in the past. It is a very good comparison. Hill isn't a bad QB, but he isn't a guy to make you think your QB issue is resolved, either.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Exactly...If he didn't mean to stir things up, then this thread should never have existed. :drive:

I posted it because I think it is an apt analogy.

Luisito23
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Let me tell you the story of a coach who has yet to win a SB without cheating...You may, or may not know him?

Pinkerton Security
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
We'll see whose tune changes after he beats the F'in Pats.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Awesome story...you left out that he was benched by an unstable Singletary in favor of the multimillion dollar "Franchise" guy Alex Smith...

If there is any lesson to learn here, it may be that you don't draft a QB first overall, because you can get the same results out of Shaun Hill.

Smith was benched for Hill before Hill had his career year, and SF made the mistake of thinking Hill solved their problems. When Hill couldn't live up to that, they had to turn back to Smith because they hadn't addressed the issue.

That is the point. If you think a 28-year old career back-up has resolved the long-term QB issue, you made a mistake. SF made the mistake of thinking they didn't need to address QB after that year, and they are still paying for it.

Fitzpatrick has played well this year, but not so well anyone is going to think Buffalo has found the answer at QB long-term. They need to still address the QB position.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:35 PM
We'll see whose tune changes after he beats the F'in Pats.

You really are completely missing the point. Even if the Bills beat the Patriots this week, they are making a mistake if they think they have the QB position addressed for the long-term. Fitzpatrick has played well this year, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. That is a good thing for the Bills.

However, if they think that is the end of it, they are making a mistake. They need to go out and address the QB position despite the play of Fitzpatrick. History shows to do otherwise is making a mistake.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
You know, Hill isn't a terrible player. On the contrary, he is a pretty good player.

He just isn't the guy who is going to make you think you no longer have a QB problem anymore. He isn't good enough to build your team around.

madness
12-23-2010, 02:44 PM

My neighbor is a 49ers fan and after this season, he'd take Hill back in a heartbeat.

Ickybaluky
12-23-2010, 02:45 PM

I went back and looked it up.

He beat a 9-7 Jets team.

He also beat an 8-8 Washington team.

In the "making a good football team sweat" category, he came close to beating an Arizona team went to the Super Bowl that season.

Thief
12-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Dude you're just pissed Suggs voted for Fitz over Tomita Brady.

cocamide
12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Not so stir things up, but a certain team won three SuperBowls and then got caught cheating. They haven't won one since.

Dr. Lecter
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
As somebody who was one of Fitz's strongest supporters in the pre-season (I.e. fighting with the cut Fitz crowd - ask Mike or Nighthawk or others), I have to say the chances of him being the longterm answer are slim and none.

The guy is a fantastic back-up or stop gap QB. He is not a long term starter in this league, unless a team has a dominant defense and very strong running game to compliment him.

He does not have the arm strength and especially the accuracy or consistency to be "the answer".

JCBills
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Hill was also supported by a pretty good defense that year, the 49ers were 13th overall.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 04:55 PM
the comparison makes no sense...

reason being, fitz is better than shaun hill....

better days
12-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Really? Hill had a better completion percentage and Yds/Att than Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has thrown TDs at a much higher rate, but Hills Int% was half the rate of Fitzpatrick. Hill played very well in 2008.

As you your last comment, are you going to list all the winning teams Buffalo beat this year?

Both guys were 28. Both played better than they had in the past. It is a very good comparison. Hill isn't a bad QB, but he isn't a guy to make you think your QB issue is resolved, either.

The QB issue is never resolved. Tom Brady or Payton Manning could be injured in their next game & never be the same again. I think the 49ers made a mistake myself getting rid of Hill. He is no Brady or Manning but he is better than any QB on the 49ers now.

That is the point. The Bills need to ride Fitz until a better QB comes along & a QB drafted in the 1st is not necessarily better, just as Alex Smith is not better than Hill.

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 08:52 PM

You're kidding, right? He's winning games...really? 4-10 is winning games? Some of you are truly dillusional. :wtf:

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 08:53 PM
The QB issue is never resolved. Tom Brady or Payton Manning could be injured in their next game & never be the same again. I think the 49ers made a mistake myself getting rid of Hill. He is no Brady or Manning but he is better than any QB on the 49ers now.

That is the point. The Bills need to ride Fitz until a better QB comes along & a QB drafted in the 1st is not necessarily better, just as Alex Smith is not better than Hill.

Every year I hear this..."there is no QB worth drafting, we'll get one next year", umm, when the hell are any of you going to think there is a QB worth drafting? The stuff that comes out of some of you is hilarious...and makes no f'n sense.

better days
12-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Every year I hear this..."there is no QB worth drafting, we'll get one next year", umm, when the hell are any of you going to think there is a QB worth drafting? The stuff that comes out of some of you is hilarious...and makes no f'n sense.

Were you on the Clausen bandwagen last year? Now people that talked him up were hilarious & made no f'n sense. I don't see any point in drafting a QB unless you are damn well sure he will be better than what you already have.

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Were you on the Clausen bandwagen last year? Now people that talked him up were hilarious & made no f'n sense. I don't see any point in drafting a QB unless you are damn well sure he will be better than what you already have.

I wanted to draft Colt McCoy and he looks like he may be a good find for the Browns. The point is, you HAVE to draft a QB for the future and you cannot continue to leave the cupboard bare behind Fitz. Somebody has to be there if he falls on his face next year or you'll have the same situation as you see playing out in Minnesota, Arizona or SF. I don't want to be caught in midseason without some potential at that position...just doesn't make good football sense and that is why the Bills are where they are...they never look ahead and make picks to fill potential holes.

better days
12-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I wanted to draft Colt McCoy and he looks like he may be a good find for the Browns. The point is, you HAVE to draft a QB for the future and you cannot continue to leave the cupboard bare behind Fitz. Somebody has to be there if he falls on his face next year or you'll have the same situation as you see playing out in Minnesota, Arizona or SF. I don't want to be caught in midseason without some potential at that position...just doesn't make good football sense and that is why the Bills are where they are...they never look ahead and make picks to fill potential holes.

I agree about having a QB behind Fitz, but maybe Chan sees potential in Brohm or even Brown. I also agree about McCoy, he looks like the 2nd best QB from that draft. I thought he was too small myself, he looks like he will prove me wrong.

JCBills
12-24-2010, 02:49 AM
You're kidding, right? He's winning games...really? 4-10 is winning games? Some of you are truly dillusional. :wtf:

Not sure why you still refuse to recognize that he has little to no support from the D, especially early on.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 03:00 AM

obviously if luck comes out we have no shot at him...

who would you draft? newton is a very high risk with character issues.... nix will not pick him. that leaves mallett? or a qb in the later rds...

or possibly a trade which i dont see happening becasue any good qb worth trading for will cost to much..

its either draft mallett or fill other holes... mallett is tough to pass on, i admit that, he is everything you want in a qb talent wise. i just think fitz is better than you guys are letting on and can give us a chance to win big if we upgrade the talent around him....

Nighthawk
12-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Not sure why you still refuse to recognize that he has little to no support from the D, especially early on.

I'm not ignoring the fact the defense needs help, but you and many others are REALLY ignoring the fact that Fitz is unlikely the answer.

Philagape
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
I gotta wonder how different the Fitz tone would be if Stevie had caught that damn pass.

Pavlovian response: "All QBs throw dropped passes!"
Not like that one.

It's like that perfect game that was robbed because of the ump's bad call. Officially it's not a perfect game, but we all know it was.
Fitz officially didn't beat the Steelers, but we know he did.

Nighthawk
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
I gotta wonder how different the Fitz tone would be if Stevie had caught that damn pass.

Pavlovian response: "All QBs throw dropped passes!"
Not like that one.

It's like that perfect game that was robbed because of the ump's bad call. Officially it's not a perfect game, but we all know it was.
Fitz officially didn't beat the Steelers, but we know he did.

One drop would not change my mind...I am not blown away by his play this year and just because he is better then the garbage that's been here, doesn't make me want to stop the search for franchise QB. Now, if he comes in next year and plays better and shows this isn't a fluke, then I will totally be sold, but not until then.

DrGraves
12-24-2010, 09:44 AM
pats fans are so stupid its unbelievable. bostonians don't know **** about sports. go sit in your cushy luxury box and sip on some more smug. GO BILLS!

YardRat
12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
The guy is a fantastic back-up or stop gap QB. He is not a long term starter in this league, unless a team has a dominant defense and very strong running game to compliment him.
So let's build a dominant defense and very strong offensive line, unless we get a shot at a can't-miss prospect at QB. At the very least, Fitz has shown that the team doesn't need to reach in the first round for a high-risk boom or bust. I would guess at this point that the Bills will go with the best defensive player on the board, and if somebody drops to them in the second they'll take a chance.

Ickybaluky
12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not ignoring the fact the defense needs help, but you and many others are REALLY ignoring the fact that Fitz is unlikely the answer.

This is all I am saying.

Fitzpatrick has played well and deserves a lot of praise. He stepped into a tough situation and stabilized it. That doesn't make him the solution.

However, if the Bills decide he is the answer and do not address the QB position in a major way moving forward, they will only get so far. They may become a competitive team, but not a Super Bowl contender. They will be limited how far they can go.

At the end of the day he is completing less than 60% of his passes and is averaging 6.8 Yds/Att. Good, consistently-winning QBs complete over 60% of their passes and average more than 7 YPA. Look at the league leaders in the NFL among QBs. Look at Brady, Manning, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Ryan, etc. Look at the teams in the playoff every year and most are going to be north of those numbers. The fact is, a QB in the league today needs to be consistent and accurate.

Fitz is a good QB and deserves credit for playing well, just like Shaun Hill. However, that doesn't mean he is the guy to lead the team in the future. If he is, the Bills will have a ceiling they can't rise above.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2010, 10:04 AM
So if FITZ Sucks next year the Bills will be in position to draft Luck if he doesn't come out this year or Matt Barkley. I'll give Fitz another year and draft defense,defense, and more defense this year.

YardRat
12-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Tom Brady's completion % is 666. Coincidence? I think not.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 10:16 AM
This is all I am saying.

Fitzpatrick has played well and deserves a lot of praise. He stepped into a tough situation and stabilized it. That doesn't make him the solution.

However, if the Bills decide he is the answer and do not address the QB position in a major way moving forward, they will only get so far. They may become a competitive team, but not a Super Bowl contender. They will be limited how far they can go.

At the end of the day he is completing less than 60% of his passes and is averaging 6.8 Yds/Att. Good, consistently-winning QBs complete over 60% of their passes and average more than 7 YPA. Look at the league leaders in the NFL among QBs. Look at Brady, Manning, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Ryan, etc. Look at the teams in the playoff every year and most are going to be north of those numbers. The fact is, a QB in the league today needs to be consistent and accurate.

Fitz is a good QB and deserves credit for playing well, just like Shaun Hill. However, that doesn't mean he is the guy to lead the team in the future. If he is, the Bills will have a ceiling they can't rise above.

i get the feeling that you dont like fitz because he wasnt a top pick...

Ickybaluky
12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
i get the feeling that you dont like fitz because he wasnt a top pick...

I have nothing against QB who were not high picks. I think my favorite QBs are drafted in the 6th round, though.

Nighthawk
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
This is all I am saying.

Well said and this is exactly right...

psubills62
12-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Icky, I think your point is very valid, and I doubt there are many people on here who think Fitz is the true, SB-leading answer for Buffalo. At this point, he's far better than a lot of the QB's we've had in recent years, though, especially in Gailey's system.

I would imagine that in the end, most people see Fitz as someone who can steer the ship while they build a really good team around him, then whenever they get the chance to grab a great QB, they'll do so. I can't imagine the Bills see Fitz as a franchise QB.

JCBills
12-25-2010, 11:47 AM
The thing is, I haven't seen anyone running around saying "FITZ IS A PHENOM, OUR QB POSITION IS FIXED FOREVERRRRR." Which is basically what the people who don't like him seem to think people are saying.

All anyone has said is the guy has probably earned another year. He's done fairly well with little support from the other side of the ball, and it would only be fair to see what he can do with a legit defense backing him.

Throne Logic
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM

I'd challenge to you compare all rosters of those QB's teams you mentioned. How many are sporting a WR core lead by a 7th round pick and filled in with mostly undrafted players? Who, among them lined up behind an O-Line with as many issues as what Fitz lines up with? Might want to examine a few defenses while you're at it.

Fitz may not the the "end all, be all" at QB. But without him, the Bills would be probably still be 0-fer on the season. He's got balls. He is clearly a leader who's set one hell of an example for the younger guys. He's brought back some pride which, at least for this Bills fan, has been missing for a while now. His attitude and style of play set a very positive tone on this team.

I want Fitz starting next year. If we groom someone under him, fine. I want Fitz to be the guy who younger players see leading this team. He may not be the guy to ultimately get Buffalo back to the Superbowl. But he sure as heck is already an important piece in regards to teaching this team how to win.