PDA

View Full Version : Bills to pass on QB in Round 1?

T-Long
12-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Click here (http://blogblitz.nfl.com/buffalo-bills/entry/bills_to_pass_on_1st) for my latest article! Agree or Disagree?

Joe Fo Sho
12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with you and also I'm hoping they pass on QB in the 1st. We have other more pressing needs, IN MY OWN FRIGGIN OPINION.

split71
12-23-2010, 07:30 PM
The pick will BPA, if it's a QB, they'll take him. That being said, I don't think it will be a QB....

ServoBillieves
12-23-2010, 07:49 PM
If (though he won't) Luck comes out and gets to us, he'll be the pick. Otherwise, I don't see a QB in the early draft.

Don't Panic
12-23-2010, 08:00 PM
If (though he won't) Luck comes out and gets to us, he'll be the pick. Otherwise, I don't see a QB in the early draft.

Ditto that.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2010, 08:09 PM
No Luck, no QB in the 1st.

No exceptions.

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Whether or not they take a QB in the 1st or not, they still need to draft one in the first 3 rounds. The position still is not fixed...

ServoBillieves
12-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Whether or not they take a QB in the 1st or not, they still need to draft one in the first 3 rounds. The position still is not fixed...

Might not be fixed, but it's got some heavy-duty duct tape over it while the rest of the house gets fixed.

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Might not be fixed, but it's got some heavy-duty duct tape over it while the rest of the house gets fixed.

YOU EVENTUALLY HAVE TO DRAFT A QB TO GROOM FOR THE FUTURE!

NOT THE DUDE...
12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
YOU EVENTUALLY HAVE TO DRAFT A QB TO GROOM FOR THE FUTURE!

fitz is 28??

mikemac2001
12-23-2010, 09:48 PM
fitz is 28??

not saying he is right about fitz being the franchise but

he is right the guy has 3-5 years easily left.

i don't feel we have to draft a QB this year.

unless the team feels brohm and brown suck so much

Johnny Bugmenot
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, they did say Brown was "horrendous" in the preseason, but he's a third-stringer. Unfortunately, it's getting to the point where it appears we'll never really see what we have in Brohm.

Nighthawk
12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
fitz is 28??

Mitchell...it isn't about his age, it's about the fact that I'm not sold on him being the answer and neither should the Bills.

mikemac2001
12-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, they did say Brown was "horrendous" in the preseason, but he's a third-stringer. Unfortunately, it's getting to the point where it appears we'll never really see what we have in Brohm.

thats what sucks about fitz playing solid

i want to know what we have now...i hope brohm is here next year (idk what his contract was)

he has talent but a year under the system might help i am sure he would stay if they want him its not like he can just walk in to backup anywhere

tampabay25690
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I really think this team will focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.........

So I agree the Bills are not looking at QB in the 1st

YardRat
12-24-2010, 02:02 AM
John Murphy had a small blurb on his sportscast yesterday regarding Cam Newton and how the Bills are very much interested in him.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2010, 06:02 AM
I really think this team will focus on DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.........

As they should be.

The only way I see offense drafted in the 1st round is if the Bills trade/cut Evans and draft Green.

mush69
12-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Where is Brian Brohm in all of this?

I saw enough last year in a mop up duty call, under the old leadership, to say that I liked what I saw. We have a leader in Fitzpatrick, and a solid back up in Brohm to pass on a QB in the first.

Stud DL or MLB

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 06:27 AM
do you guys realize that the dolphins went to the playoffs with jay ****ing fiedler!

fitz is fine hes a top 10-20 qb. we dont need a qb. its just going take a player away from building our front 7...

i do think we should get troy smith or tyler thigpen as a backup but fitz deserves to be the starter next year. plus the only qb i like is luck and he wont be there when we pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 06:29 AM
for christs sake fitz was making throws against the really good dolphins defense that reminded me of brett farve back in the 90s...

dont mess with this. he already seems like a poor mans brett farve. let fitz play with a better team next year and lets see what happens...

Don't Panic
12-24-2010, 07:38 AM
not saying he is right about fitz being the franchise but

he is right the guy has 3-5 years easily left.

i don't feel we have to draft a QB this year.

unless the team feels brohm and brown suck so much

Ditto that too. Bottom line is it comes down to what Chan thinks of Brohm and Brown, who haven't gotten a sniff this year. If he likes what he has there, don't be surprised if we don't draft a QB until at least the 5th, if at all.

trapezeus
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
two things:

1. the bills picked a running back last year. There was no apparent need for a RB, but they took one. There is no apparent need for a QB, but they proved that they'll take whatever they thing they want.

2. as fun as the bills have been, they still have a lot of holes and will be picking high with good talent evaluators in place. if it's not a qb, it'll be a position we need. we still have about 5 key positions where we really don't have a great starter.

Yasgur's Farm
12-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Looking at the top 100 prospects coming out, and comparing them to the many areas of at least moderate need for the Bills...

While I believe in the BPA philosophy... At least some weight needs to be put into the need portion of the formula.

Bills Needs in order of most dire...
1) LB - By far our greatest need... Other than POZ (Who may not re-sign) and Moats, we're hurting - Unfortunately, there's no prospect here rated better than the 20's (Donta Highwater) or 30's (Martez Wilson, Bruce Carter). Safe to say that no LB will be taken by the Bills in round 1 unless they trade down (or back in).

2) DL - A month or so ago most of us would have lumped this need right at the top with LB. But with the likes of Williams, Troup, Edwards, Stroud and Kelsay (Yes Kelsay) along with Carrington, I no longer see this as a desperate need. However, the top end of the draft is loaded... Obviously Nick Fairley would have to be strongly considered if he's still onboard. But JJ Watt, DeQuan Bowers, Allen Bailey, and Robert Quinn are all strong candidates.

3) TE - We need a playmaker - Tradition dictates we must wait until the mid to later rounds unless the talent is exceptional... Tradition prevails here.

4) OL - Like the DL, this group was muther feckered all off season. But (while some shoring up could take place) between the improved play of the returning guys and the Buddy Nix pick-ups during the course of the season, these guys are pretty solid now. The 1 or 2 we need as starters or back-ups will not come from a top 10 pick. Nobody is ranked that high... I suppose there are several that could be considered in a trade down or a trade back in scenario. But I would think we'd be looking to addres our LB issues if we were to make that move.

5) QB - Fitz is the starter in '11 and maybe even '12... Hell, I don't mind if he starts in '14 and '15. But we need to prepare for the future and I wouldn't rule out Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett with our top pick... Jake Locker wouldn't surprise me either. I believe they will all be gone in the top 15... And I believe it's the correct slotting. I think my preference would be Cam Newton to sit and learn behInd his Harvard mentor.

6) Secondary - McGee may be finished, McKelvin may never grow, Whitner and Wilson may not re-sign. All that said, Patrick Peterson would have to be considered if he's there.

Nighthawk
12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
do you guys realize that the dolphins went to the playoffs with jay ****ing fiedler!

fitz is fine hes a top 10-20 qb. we dont need a qb. its just going take a player away from building our front 7...

i do think we should get troy smith or tyler thigpen as a backup but fitz deserves to be the starter next year. plus the only qb i like is luck and he wont be there when we pick.

Mitchell...we would need a very dominating defense to contend with Fitz as QB and there is a ton of work to get our defense to that level. Plus, you don't really make sense because everybody agrees that Fitz is the starter next year, but most want an option behind him if he goes back to being himself.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Mitchell...we would need a very dominating defense to contend with Fitz as QB and there is a ton of work to get our defense to that level. Plus, you don't really make sense because everybody agrees that Fitz is the starter next year, but most want an option behind him if he goes back to being himself.

then you can take mallett/newton

im taking dareus,fairley or kerrigan...

TigerJ
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
It's pretty much a no brainer. No QB Buffalo could take is going to be ready to start in 2011. You don't pick a player in the top ten of the draft that you know is going to ride the pine. While I'm not sold on Fitz long term, I'm willing to give him 2011.

Night Train
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
It's 4 months away and the Bills brass will have lots of tape, All-Star games, Combines, Pro Days and time until then.

My early guess is a QB or DT in Round 1. I like Fitz but I could see the Bills wondering if he's truely the long term answer.

Bills keep looking at run stuffing DT's (signing another today) and it's obvious they wish to find someone to stick next to Kyle Williams. Troup needs to add more weight and get some experience.

All-American DT Nick Fairley of Auburn or a QB look like the most obvious choice, if we stay in the top 10 of the Draft. Not a fan of Mallet, who remides me far too much of Bledsoe (ugh). Newton or Locker have far more upside, IMO.

Extremebillsfan247
12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Click here (http://blogblitz.nfl.com/buffalo-bills/entry/bills_to_pass_on_1st) for my latest article! Agree or Disagree? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did go without selecting a QB in the first round. However, if by some stroke of chance a guy like Mallet, or Locker slip to the 2nd round, or a guy like Ponder slips to the 3rd, you might see them snag one of them to learn behind Fitz. Because, then there is no rush to bring in the new guy, they can slowly work him into the Gailey system while Fitz plays out his contract.

Don't Panic
12-25-2010, 10:20 AM
1. the bills picked a running back last year. There was no apparent need for a RB, but they took one. There is no apparent need for a QB, but they proved that they'll take whatever they thing they want.

Running backs are a varied bunch. You can have blocking backs, receiving backs, power backs, speed backs, or every down backs. You can out two out there at once. QBs can't be compared... you might have a Wildcat QB, but you aren't drafting one in the top 10.

better days
12-25-2010, 11:01 AM
two things:

2. as fun as the bills have been, they still have a lot of holes and will be picking high with good talent evaluators in place. if it's not a qb, it'll be a position we need. we still have about 5 key positions where we really don't have a great starter.

While the need for RB was not apparent to us at the time, in retrospect it looks like the Bills went into the draft knowing they were going to move Lynch.

Beebe's Kid
12-25-2010, 01:01 PM
The best part about this argument, is that the two sides are so far apart that no amount of reasoning will even bring them close enough to agree to disagree.

If you have the Mel Kiper-sized hard on for a QB, you are not going to listen to any argument against it...period. This argument has been raging since Fitz was named the starter, and played well against NE. The argument is the same, despite there having been 12 games played in that time.

If you want a QB, please feel free to dream about why one of these guys might be the savior in 3-5 years. If you are enjoying Fitz, and think he is our guy...congratulations, because for now he is our guy.

I find it hard to say with a straight face that we should take a QB first and ignore the defense.

Nighthawk
12-25-2010, 07:26 PM
The best part about this argument, is that the two sides are so far apart that no amount of reasoning will even bring them close enough to agree to disagree.

If you have the Mel Kiper-sized hard on for a QB, you are not going to listen to any argument against it...period. This argument has been raging since Fitz was named the starter, and played well against NE. The argument is the same, despite there having been 12 games played in that time.

If you want a QB, please feel free to dream about why one of these guys might be the savior in 3-5 years. If you are enjoying Fitz, and think he is our guy...congratulations, because for now he is our guy.

I find it hard to say with a straight face that we should take a QB first and ignore the defense.

Yet again, who is saying to ignore the defense? Hey, but whatever you think helps your argument!

Johnny Bugmenot
12-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Yet again, who is saying to ignore the defense? Hey, but whatever you think helps your argument!
There's only one first pick.

Bmax
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
The fitz kool aid drinkers ...can't see the truth he is only a back up.. the best option we have but not a long term fix..just look who we beat....we have problems every where...so take the best player on defense in the front seven in the draft.. But if some how some way a mallett or Locker slips to rd 2 no way do you pass on that...

Bmax...

X-Era
12-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Theres pretty much no way that we are not discussing QB in the upcoming draft. The value may not fit in round 1, but I will be surprised if we don't draft one in the first 3 rounds.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Theres pretty much no way that we are not discussing QB in the upcoming draft. The value may not fit in round 1, but I will be surprised if we don't draft one in the first 3 rounds.

bottom line, its going to be very very very hard for nix to pass on newton, mallett, or locker...