PDA

View Full Version : Props to Rodney Harrison

better days
12-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I usually download podcasts from the team the Bills play the week before the game. Well, on a Pats* podcast Harrison had me shaking my head in disbelief at what he said.

Asked if the NFL went too far with the helmet to helmet hits they are enforcing, Harrison said "waking up having migrains & dizzy spells, it's not worth it, I just turned 38 years old & I've got the rest of my life to live" "I played 15 years & sometimes I played it the right way, MOST OF THE TIME I PLAYED IT THE WRONG WAY".

He went on to say people could call him hypocritical, but he wants to see players play the right way for their own good.

I have to respect a guy that owns up to his past & tries to get others to not follow in his footsteps.

Coach Sal
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM
I think he's actually pretty good on TV, too.

Not great, and not "good" in a TV polished way....but willing to speak his mind and offers some good insight each week.

I actually think the NBC set up hurts him and hold him back. It's too structured. If he gets on a show where he can be more himself he'd be one of the guys I'd make sure to watch/listen to each week.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 12:05 AM
i played football for 10 years including 4 years of varsity football in high school. i know many people who went on to play d 1 college call and i have even played against a few players that made it to the pros. there is no reason to hit someone on purpose in the head with your helment. you can still deliver a punishing hit without spearing someone...

G Wolly
12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Harrison is still an *******.

Ingtar33
12-24-2010, 03:18 AM
i played football for 10 years including 4 years of varsity football in high school. i know many people who went on to play d 1 college call and i have even played against a few players that made it to the pros. there is no reason to hit someone on purpose in the head with your helment. you can still deliver a punishing hit without spearing someone...

as an ex d-1 player (granted except for about a quarter, it was all on the pine) and now coach i agree 100% with this.

most helmet to helmet collisions are piss poor technique, awful tackling technique... it's dangerous.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 03:27 AM
as an ex d-1 player (granted except for about a quarter, it was all on the pine) and now coach i agree 100% with this.

most helmet to helmet collisions are piss poor technique, awful tackling technique... it's dangerous.

yep, couldnt agree more. keep your head up and hit the guy as hard as you can.

ServoBillieves
12-24-2010, 03:29 AM
As an ex footballer too (but as opposed to Ingtar, I rode the bench in high school ((punter))), I played mostly special teams. Speedster with a leg and no hands.

My coaches absolutely tore me a new one because, as I saw on TV, everyone looked like they were leading with their head. I thought that if I went low, my head would go to the side automatically.

During a tackling drill for ST'ers, I led with my head, and I went helmet first in to a guys chest pads who was a lot bigger than me, and escaped with, lord be praised, a bruised neck, and that's it.

I was not allowed on the field until I learned how to tackle properly, and if as a high school coach those coaches know it's important, then how is a very well paid head coach unaware of how to teach fundamentals?

I guess you can't change professional attitudes and techniques that have landed them millions, but... C'mon man.

mush69
12-24-2010, 05:58 AM
A helmet to helmet hit ended my football playing days with a c-2, c-3 seperation and a severely bruised neck.

It was also after the whistle and I didn't see it coming, just laying there while I couldn't move.

It was my junior year of High School, I had a few opportunities and discussions to visit some schools.

Forward_Lateral
12-24-2010, 06:07 AM
The first thing they teach you in football is to lead with your shoulder, not your head.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-24-2010, 06:24 AM
The first thing they teach you in football is to lead with your shoulder, not your head.

actually its ok to stay low on a tackle and hit your head, the problem is when people put their head down and lead with the hit that way... keep your head up!

Coach Sal
12-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Tackling at every level is horrible right now.

Too much time spent by coaches on schemes, reads, and other things each week. Not enough time spent on learning how to tackle the right way......and especially repping and re-enforcing it each week. Too many coaches only do it during camp and then let it be. It should be reminded and practiced all season.

Forward_Lateral
12-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Sal, tackling should not have to be taught at the NFL level. Guys who have been playing football for that long should know how to tackle properly. Players are worrying too much about making the high light reel with monster hits than they are wrapping up and making a proper tackle. Every NFL player KNOWS the proper way to tackle, half of them choose to try and knock someone out rather than bring them down.

Ingtar33
12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Tackling at every level is horrible right now.

Too much time spent by coaches on schemes, reads, and other things each week. Not enough time spent on learning how to tackle the right way......and especially repping and re-enforcing it each week. Too many coaches only do it during camp and then let it be. It should be reminded and practiced all season.

I agree.

Coach Sal
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Sal, tackling should not have to be taught at the NFL level. Guys who have been playing football for that long should know how to tackle properly. Players are worrying too much about making the high light reel with monster hits than they are wrapping up and making a proper tackle. Every NFL player KNOWS the proper way to tackle, half of them choose to try and knock someone out rather than bring them down.

Taught is the wrong word. It should be practiced. Not big, blowup, live tackling, but up-thudding (about half-speed, hit and release). Form tackling should always be re-enforced through drills and reps.

Why do you assume all NFL players know how to tackle properly? That's part of the problem. Too many coaches assume the same thing. Most guys didn't get to the NFL because they were great tacklers.