PDA

View Full Version : So, where are we currently drafting?

T-Long
12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
I've been trying to track down the current info and scenario for our pick in 2011. As of right now, I think the Bills are 4th overall. But with the Jets looking to sit some of their players next week, what is the worse case scenario?

DraftBoy
12-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I believe 5th is worst case and 3rd is best place, but draft order projection is not my thing. I think Doc or psubills has a better idea.

T-Long
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
I believe 5th is worst case and 3rd is best place, but draft order projection is not my thing. I think Doc or psubills has a better idea.
5th is worst case even if the Bills end up winning? I also thought I read somewhere that we could possibly draft 2nd and that would be our best case. Thanks for the info though, I'm confused.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 07:26 AM
best case-2
worst case-8 - not 100% sure...

Mindbender
12-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I think 2nd is "best case" if Cinci and Denver win and we lose. 5th-7th is "worst case" if we win. (There are 4 teams sitting at 5-10 I believe).

Perhaps psubills will chime in in a bit or update that draft order thread.

Thief
12-27-2010, 07:52 AM
I found this for ya......

Joe Buscaglia Reporting

JoeB@WGR550.com

Ok, so here's the deal ladies and gentlemen.

Sunday's loss to New England was abysmal, but it was a huge day for draft order if you're in to that sort of thing. And I'm assuming at this point most of you are.

Great news for the Buffalo Bills. With their loss, and all of Arizona, Detroit, Denver and Cincinnati winning, the 2nd overall pick is still a distinct possibility, and I'm going to break it down easily for you to get you in the know of who you want to win in Week 17.

If the NFL Draft happened after Monday night, this would be the order:

1) Carolina
2) Denver
3t) Cincinnati
3t) Buffalo

Now, since Cincinnati played both Atlanta and New Orleans, they automatically get a win and a loss added to their strength of schedule. The big game is Tuesday night. A Philadelphia win would mean Cincinnati and Buffalo stay tied. If Minnesota wins, Cincinnati would then have sole possession of the 3rd overall pick.

Cincinnati and Buffalo aren't even close to Denver in strength of schedule, so that's out of the realm of possibility. Denver's opponents have a win total of 122 to Cincinnati and Buffalo's 139.

Going in to next week, the only opponents that make a big difference between the Bengals and Bills are down to four. Two a piece. For Cincinnati, it's San Diego and Indianapolis. For Buffalo, it's Kansas City and Jacksonville.

You want wins from Cincinnati's two, and losses for Buffalo's two. But it gets tricky, because San Diego plays Denver.

However, these are the ways to get to the 2nd overall pick for Buffalo.

1) Philadelphia beats Minnesota Tuesday, Cincinnati defeats Baltimore, and Denver defeats San Diego
or
2) Philadelphia beats Minnesota Tuesday, Baltimore defeats Cincinnati, Denver defeats San Diego, Indianapolis defeats Tennessee, Oakland defeats Kansas City and Houston defeats Jacksonville.

So that's the road to the best possible scenario. This all assuming that the Bills lose to the New York Jets, which may be in question now with the Jets having clinched a playoff spot thanks to key losses in Week 16.

Now the bad news.

There's a whole mess of teams with 5 wins at this time. And if we're counting Minnesota as a loss, it gets a whole more crowded.

The unfortunate news is that if the Bills manage to beat the New York Jets, their draft position will drop considerably.

Even though there are seven teams with five wins at this time, it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to drop below all seven. And it's simple reasoning for that.

Four of the 5 win teams are facing off against each other. Arizona is playing San Francisco, and Detroit is playing Minnesota.

So that knocks off two pegs right there.

Here's how the five win teams stack up right now, with their opponents wins after their name:

5) Arizona 109
6) San Francisco 119
7) Dallas 125 (126 with a New Orleans win)
8) Houston 127
9) Minnesota 130 (131 with a New Orleans win)
10) Detroit 131
11) Cleveland 138

Now, if the Bills win, the absolute BEST case scenario would be that Buffalo picks 8th overall. Cleveland is the ONLY team they can pass, and they need a little help to do it.

Of course, this all assuming that the 5 win teams all lose, of course. If any of them win, Buffalo obviously moves ahead of them.

So here's how it goes, the Bills could get as high as the #2 pick with a loss (or #3 or #4) and they would be either #8 or #9 with a win in the worst case scenario.

That's a ton of draft positioning on the line in just one game.

If you have questions, ask me at my Twitter page: @JoeB_WGR

T-Long
12-27-2010, 08:00 AM
you are the man! :beers:

IAG
12-27-2010, 08:03 AM
NICK FAIRLY

X-Era
12-27-2010, 08:34 AM
NICK FAIRLYif we trade down maybe.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Thief and Joe_B said pretty much what I was going to say. However, a couple of his comments on next week don't see quite right. Looking at the situations, I'm 99% sure that if we do happen to win, we'll be drafting in front of Cleveland.

Overall, Joe is correct though. Best case scenario is 2nd, worst is 9th.

THRILLHO
12-27-2010, 08:48 AM

I think my head just exploded reading that.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I think my head just exploded reading that.

Basically: root for Minnesota to lose on Tuesday.

If we lose next weekend: we'll pick 2nd, 3rd or 4th. If Cincy/Denver also lose, root for KC and Jacksonville to lose, but Indianapolis to win.

If we win next weekend: root for as many of the 5-win teams as possible to win. That's about it.

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
We're currently picking 3rd...winning next week would be horrible!

Novacane
12-27-2010, 09:02 AM
We're currently picking 3rd...winning next week would be horrible!

You are not a real fan ;)

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 09:03 AM
You are not a real fan ;)

I know, what am I thinking!?!?!

Novacane
12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I know, what am I thinking!?!?!

I'm can't believe you don't realize a win against the Jets third stringers will build character and help our young players learn how to win.

madness
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm still going to be rooting for the Bills to win Sunday. No way in hell am I going to sit hours in front of the TV and do otherwise and I'll still be upset when we lose... but the sting definitely won't last as long this time. :D

I don't think we even have a chance to win even against Jets' third stringers. Injuries have once again decimated this team but I hope Nix and Co. use this as an evaluation game for some of the younger guys. It's getting close to the time to purge more of the roster. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we were top in the league in roster turnover for the 2nd straight year.

DraftBoy
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
if we trade down maybe.

and change to a 4-3.

TigerJ
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm can't believe you don't realize a win against the Jets third stringers will build character and help our young players learn how to win.I haven't checked. There's nothing that rides on the game for the Jets next week? Yeah I know they've got a wildcard spot sewn up.

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2010, 10:41 AM
If Luck comes out, is Carolina for sure going to take him, as far as we reasonably know?

DraftBoy
12-27-2010, 10:41 AM
If Luck comes out, is Carolina for sure going to take him, as far as we reasonably know?

Yes. While they took 3 QB's last year all have been down right dreadful and one was moved to WR.

Ingtar33
12-27-2010, 11:28 AM
rather simple from what i see of the schedule...

Loss next week and we're 2nd-4th

Win next week and we're 7th-8th

T-Long
12-27-2010, 12:01 PM
rather simple from what i see of the schedule...

Loss next week and we're 2nd-4th

Win next week and we're 7th-9th