PDA

View Full Version : Kiper discusses Bills in draft

T-Long
12-27-2010, 09:21 AM
ESPN INSIDER, so here is just the Bills part for those that don't have it.

Buffalo Bills: At 4-10, Buffalo should be playing as hard as they can and looking to drop, because their top needs can be addressed even into the teens. They can see a superb talent, such as UNC's Robert Quinn, fall in their laps as a pass-rusher (Quinn could stand up in the 3-4). Or they could reach a little, like Arizona, on an OT, if stuck late in the top 10. That said, it'll be interesting to see whether they fall in love with a guy such as Mallett, Auburn's Cam Newton or Washington's Jake Locker, even with the good season from Ryan Fitzpatrick.
I disagree with Kiper in the sentiment that they should win out. If their needs could be addressed later on, then that sets us up perfectly for a trade down to a team that may want one of those QB's. I can't see any team trading up to land a guy on defense, but someone in the teens could give up a 1st 2nd and even something in 2012 to move up a few spots. This is going to be one of the most interesting drafts in a long time for the Bills. They honestly could go several ways. I just wish I could be a fly on the wall when Buddy and Chan discuss Fitzpatrick and how they ACTUALLY view him.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:22 AM
FOR CHRISTS SAKE CAN WE PLEASE REPLACE JIM KELLY. ITS ONLY BEEN 15 YEARS!!!!!

better days
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
FOR CHRISTS SAKE CAN WE PLEASE REPLACE JIM KELLY. ITS ONLY BEEN 15 YEARS!!!!!

I heard on the radio Christmas day while driving to my sisters house, Miami has had 12 starting QB's since Marino retired.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
i know its risky but franchise qbs more so than not go in the 1st round. we need to take the best available qb. cam newton, ryan mallett, jake locker, blaine gabbert would all be worthy... take the ****ing qb and move on...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:37 AM
look how miami ****ed up big time and set there team back by taking jake long instead of matt ryan.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
ESPN INSIDER, so here is just the Bills part for those that don't have it.

I disagree with Kiper in the sentiment that they should win out. If their needs could be addressed later on, then that sets us up perfectly for a trade down to a team that may want one of those QB's. I can't see any team trading up to land a guy on defense, but someone in the teens could give up a 1st 2nd and even something in 2012 to move up a few spots. This is going to be one of the most interesting drafts in a long time for the Bills. They honestly could go several ways. I just wish I could be a fly on the wall when Buddy and Chan discuss Fitzpatrick and how they ACTUALLY view him.

I agree with Kiper. I think either way, we'll be able to get good enough value out of our pick. If we draft top 4, we have good options. If we draft at 9 or so, we could grab a top OT.

I don't really see trading down being much of an option. Maybe someone will pull a Jets/Sanchez and fall in love with a bad QB, but I don't see it happening. Especially if we draft 3rd or 4th.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:40 AM
look how miami ****ed up big time and set there team back by taking jake long instead of matt ryan.

? I don't think THAT is what set them back. It may be hard to believe, but it's possible Matt Ryan would not have turned out so great if he hadn't had a great receiver like Roddy White and the coaching staff he currently has in Atlanta. Every situation is different.

wmoz11
12-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't think we need a LT and I don't want to draft a RT in the top-10.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:43 AM
? I don't think THAT is what set them back. It may be hard to believe, but it's possible Matt Ryan would not have turned out so great if he hadn't had a great receiver like Roddy White and the coaching staff he currently has in Atlanta. Every situation is different.

you get the point....take the qb or you will not win big....

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah right, Roddy White is what makes Matt Ryan. JJEEEZZZUUUSSS. LOL.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah right, Roddy White is what makes Matt Ryan. JJEEEZZZUUUSSS. LOL.

Where did I say that?

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Right there.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Right there.

Not exactly what I said, but I know how much you love to simply see whatever you want to see.

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Just a quess, but I think Ryan would still be a good qb without White.

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry, but the Bills should want to be as close to the #1 pick in the draft as possible. Why you ask? Well, if they decide that they really have a hard on for Luck, the closer they are to the #1 pick, the less compensation it will take to get it. There is no good thing that comes from winning next week.

Beautiful East
12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
...apart from winning, right? Which is sort of the point of the game. What did some of you guys write about before Fitz became starter?

madness
12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think Luck is an option.

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't think Luck is an option.

If he enters the draft...he is an option.

madness
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
If he enters the draft...he is an option.

Andrew Luck update (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/12/27/andrew-luck-update/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2010-12-27T10:46:05+0000"> December 27, 2010 – 10:46 am </abbr> </small>

Here’s the latest on Stanford QB Andrew Luck and where his decision making is concerning the 2011 NFL draft.
According to SI’s Peter King, who also works for NBC Sunday Football Night in America, is reporting that Luck’s current plan is to stay in school (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Stanford-s-Luck-staying-put-?urn=nfl-300712). Carolina, who currently holds the top pick in the 2011 draft is widely expected to take Luck if he passes on his senior season at Stanford.
Buffalo has a chance to finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th in the draft based on the final week of games in Week 17.

tampabay25690
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

How do you know Matt Ryan could adapt to that style of offense????
You never look back at drafts, I thought Matt Ryan would be good but not GREAT...
Jake Long is a very good OT.........
Sorry but they didnt F%%%% UP

X-Era
12-27-2010, 03:42 PM
FOR CHRISTS SAKE CAN WE PLEASE REPLACE JIM KELLY. ITS ONLY BEEN 15 YEARS!!!!!How did you go from being hell bent on drafting defense through most of the draft to this in one game?

tampabay25690
12-27-2010, 03:45 PM
How did you go from being hell bent on drafting defense through most of the draft to this in one game?

HA HA HA Thank you

Mad Max
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't despise The rughead like a lot of you guys do, but this opinion of his is way off base.

Even if in his opinion we would get a quality player cheap by being in the middle part of the 1st round, what about the rest of the draft? Where EVERY player is relatively cheap....and 6-8 spots is a huge gulf.

justasportsfan
12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I doubt the bills will reach for a qb while ignoring other needs . This team has holes in other areas. If there's a player who can help our run D when we make our first pick, Nix will take him.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Buffalo Bills: At 4-10, Buffalo should be playing as hard as they can and looking to drop, because their top needs can be addressed even into the teens. They can see a superb talent, such as UNC's Robert Quinn, fall in their laps as a pass-rusher (Quinn could stand up in the 3-4). Or they could reach a little, like Arizona, on an OT, if stuck late in the top 10. That said, it'll be interesting to see whether they fall in love with a guy such as Mallett, Auburn's Cam Newton or Washington's Jake Locker, even with the good season from Ryan Fitzpatrick. I disagree with trading down. If the Bills trade down and the pick they traded (Say Newton/Mallet) and they become a superstar the Bills would look like fools again.

TacklingDummy
12-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I heard on the radio Christmas day while driving to my sisters house, Miami has had 12 starting QB's since Marino retired.
How many has the Bills had?

Mad Max
12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
let's see..im not looking anything up..just going by memory

Flutie
RJ
Toddler Collins
Dreadsoe
Losman
Edwards
Fitz

and AVP started a couple didn't he?

wmoz11
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Holcomb

Mad Max
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
looks like 9, not good

Akhippo
12-27-2010, 06:48 PM

This also goes to the LT or QB first debate. Do you think that they should have stayed with pro bowler Long or should they have taken M Ryan. If a franchise QB is there, you take him even if you dont have a LT.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I doubt the bills will reach for a qb while ignoring other needs . This team has holes in other areas. If there's a player who can help our run D when we make our first pick, Nix will take him.

all top 5 qbs are considered at least top 20 picks... it wouldnt be that much of a reach...

ServoBillieves
12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Official List...

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt
Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Drew Bledsoe
J.P. Losman
Kelly Holcomb
Trent Edwards
Brian Brohm
Ryan Fitzpatrick

So... 10

Night Train
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
This is the same guy who guaranteed Clausen would be " A Star " last year. Then many posted how dumb we were to pass on Losman Jr.

Pay attention to Ourlads, Mike Mayock or our own DB instead of these guys. ESPN (Kiper,McShay) have little credibility and throw a lot of darts.

dasaybz
12-27-2010, 08:38 PM
This also goes to the LT or QB first debate. Do you think that they should have stayed with pro bowler Long or should they have taken M Ryan. If a franchise QB is there, you take him even if you dont have a LT.

There's an LT or QB first debate?

better days
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Too many.

ServoBillieves
12-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Too many.

TacklingDummy
12-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Official List...

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt
Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Drew Bledsoe
J.P. Losman
Kelly Holcomb
Trent Edwards
Brian Brohm
Ryan Fitzpatrick

So... 10

What about Hobert?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 06:34 AM
What about Hobert?

travis brown

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2010, 06:35 AM
all top 5 qbs are considered at least top 20 picks... it wouldnt be that much of a reach...

In what world are the top 5 QBs top 20 picks?

You are flat out wrong

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 06:41 AM
i bet all top 5 qbs are gone at least in the 1st rd

DraftBoy
12-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Can you list these top 5 picks?

Also you just changed your argument first you said in the first 20 picks and now you're saying in the 1st round.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2010, 07:34 AM

List who you consider the top 5 QBs.

Luck?
Locker?
Mallett?
Newton?

Who is next on your list?

Kinda like how Claussen went in the first round last year?

And you did not say they would be first round picks. You said they were top 20 picks. Big difference. And, to top it off, they are not top 20 talents, which is more important.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 07:58 AM
luck
gabbert
locker
newton
mallett

all will be gone by pick 20. my prediction

im almost postive all will be gone in the 1st...

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2010, 08:03 AM
I doubt Luck comes out.

Mallett or Locker as top 20 is a big mistake.

k-oneputt
12-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I doubt Luck comes out.

Mallett or Locker as top 20 is a big mistake.

And why exactly are Locker and Mallett as top 20 a big mistake ?
Please list your reasons. And either way we will not know for a couple of years just like our current underachieving draft class. But of course Claussen is already thrown under the bus as a rookie qb.

malvado78
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
luck
gabbert
locker
newton
mallett

all will be gone by pick 20. my prediction

im almost postive all will be gone in the 1st...
This is ridiculous.

Anyone have any idea when the last time 5 QB's were taken in the first 20 picks (Or even in the first round)???

EDIT: Ok I just went back through to 1992. 2004 there were 4 taken in the first round (Our lovable JP Losman at 22).

I would put up all my zonebux (9244.91) (and first born if my wife wouldn't be so mad for doing it ;) ) that all 5 QB's will not be taken in the first (If Luck does not comes out I say the other 4 don't either).

Ludicrous.

I don't but I will look for it.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 08:33 AM
This is ridiculous.

Anyone have any idea when the last time 5 QB's were taken in the first 20 picks (Or even in the first round)???

I don't but I will look for it.

look who is picking in the top 15

malvado78
12-28-2010, 08:43 AM
look who is picking in the top 15
Got it. It will not happen. Maybe in fantasy land teams take QB's just because but nott in the real draft. In the real draft they look at all the players available.