PDA

View Full Version : will the bills take a qb with their 1st pick?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
hypothetical

bills are picking 8th

ryan mallett, jake locker, blaine gabbert are all on the board...

do you pull the trigger?

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
I do, but this is the Bills, they like losing.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I love how you guys just assume any QB picked in the first round will be a success.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I love how you guys just assume any QB picked in the first round will be a success.

nobody is assuming that. the majority of franchise qbs are taken at the top of the 1st round. there are 5 this year if luck and gabbert come out...

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
So does that mean you never try to get a qb because he might bust. Any player can bust.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 09:56 AM

look man, respectfully its been close to 2 decades without a qb. we need to pull the trigger...

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:56 AM
nobody is assuming that. the majority of franchise qbs are taken at the top of the 1st round. there are 5 this year if luck and gabbert come out...

Your first sentence is right. However, out of all the guys you talked about, Luck is the only one that qualifies as a franchise QB.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
look man, respectfully its been close to 2 decades without a qb. we need to pull the trigger...

Just like they pulled the trigger on Losman, eh?

psubills62
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
So does that mean you never try to get a qb because he might bust. Any player can bust.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes: The Bills should NEVER draft a QB.

k-oneputt
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Your first sentence is right. However, out of all the guys you talked about, Luck is the only one that qualifies as a franchise QB.

Why's that, because Kiper said so ?

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM

And I love how everybody assumes that anybody not named Luck will be a bust. Goes both ways my friend.

psubills62
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
And I love how everybody assumes that anybody not named Luck will be a bust. Goes both ways my friend.

I don't believe I ever assumed they'd be a bust.

Cleve
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Should the Bills draft a QB? Of course - they need to attempt at least to develop a franchise QB. It's the most critical position on the team.

Will they draft a QB? Probably not, which is why I answered "no". This team is like a ship without a rudder. I've no confidence in either Nix or Gailey's leadership after the Bills gave Chris Kelsay a huge contract renewal for mediocre performance at best. For me that was one of the team's biggest "WTF??" moments in the last few years, and there have been plenty of them too.

And also, with Tom Modrak at the draft helm, is there any point in drafting? You'd think even a monkey would have picked some good players by now, just based on the odds. But Modrak bucks the odds and continues to find guys like Maybin.

wmoz11
12-27-2010, 10:14 AM

If the Bills took me at the top of the 1st round, does that make me any more likely to succeed? It's not about where the QB is picked - it's about which QB is picked.

If there's no one at 8 worth selecting, you don't reach just to take a QB.

Especially when you're the Bills and you have 100 holes to fill.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-27-2010, 01:21 PM
If the Bills took me at the top of the 1st round, does that make me any more likely to succeed? It's not about where the QB is picked - it's about which QB is picked.

If there's no one at 8 worth selecting, you don't reach just to take a QB.

Especially when you're the Bills and you have 100 holes to fill.

if gabbert and luck come out there are 5 legit top 20 qbs your argument holds no water.

say we draft a dlineman and he is good. we still are going nowhere...

say we draft a qb and he busts, well in three years we need a qb again

either way you need to take a qb..

wmoz11
12-27-2010, 01:27 PM
if gabbert and luck come out there are 5 legit top 20 qbs your argument holds no water.

say we draft a dlineman and he is good. we still are going nowhere...

say we draft a qb and he busts, well in three years we need a qb again

either way you need to take a qb..

Not in the first round you don't.

And just because you say that there are 5 legit QB prospects, doesn't make it so. I'd say there is closer to 1 than 5.

Maximilli
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
If luck is gone i will wait till next year to draft a QB

TedMock
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
If only it were this easy. We need more info. Who has been picked already? Is the QB a lot higher on your draft board, or do you have guys rated way higher? It's not about worrying who may or may not be a bust. They all may or may not be a bust. It's about matching your ratings with your needs and making a good decision without reaching. As the greats Ron Wolfe and Bill Polian have openly stated - you never reach for need and if a guy you are 100% confident in is available, you grab him regardless of position. These are two of the best GM's in recent history and these are the guys I'm listening too. We need a lot of players at a lot of positions. I take the best available at 8. If a QB is at or really close to the top at that pick, then take him.

cocamide
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

I don't get this either. We obviously suck at picking in the first round, but for some reason, our FO will get it right this time by choosing the right person for the most difficult job on the field.

cocamide
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Based on how we pick in the first round, it's pretty safe to assume that no matter who we pick, we'll be picking a bust.

YardRat
12-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Hell No. Go d-line, Peterson or Green and see who falls to us in the second.